PDA

View Full Version : We're Lazy Because Electrons Say So

Antediluvian
01-Aug-06, 22:15
Hello

After spending the past while reading all your posts I decided to join you all and add where appropriate. The forum recommended I add a post and didn't want to not do what the forum told me to do, or do what the forum tells me not to do!

Now this is the 3rd time I have typed out this post, let me explain. I am in a Hotel room with a semi-German Keyboard on a webTV interface. I couldn't wait to put up my first post so I just decided to persevere. The first time I typed it out the site times out before I clicked post, grr. But as it took me 20mins to find the @ key earlier, and still to this second I cannot find the ctrl key, I was unable to save the post ina copy before posting, so it was lost. The second post I typed out, the hotels net connection dropped and I again lost everthing, so lets try again :)

Maybe it was trying to tell me something, btu I wanted to say hi anyway. I have seen/read some posts which are quite serious, some semi0serious, some bewildering, and somequite amsing, so i just wanted to post something significant to make a bit of an impression. Please bear with me on typing considering my current arrangements.

Anyway, I am off ona tangent and the clock is ticking!!

Often I have seen lecturers use everyday situations to descibe what can initially be considered as complex theories, or at least to introduce them anyway. One that sticks in my mind was first ever lo9ok into electron physics. We were told that an electron is a lot like a person, in that they were very lazy. A person will not climb a stairs if they don't have to, just as an electron will not leave a low energy valence without external stimulation. Where an EM field or increased heat could stimulate an electron to go up a valence band, just as a cattle prod or flamethrower could encourafe someone to run up the stairs.

If we assume for a moment(Keeping an open mind) that as me are made up of hundreds of billions of electrons inside our atomic structure, could it not be considered that the reason we don't want to go up the stairs is because the electrons like staying at a lower energy level??

That is to say we are lazy because electrons are lazy! An interesting thought, if just for fun. We could add more evidence to how electrons control us if we consider the heisenberg principal. This states hat the harder you try to more accurately determine the position of an electron, the harder it is to find, in a similar way, the harder you try and look for a spouse on a Saturday night in Wick, the harder it is to find them!!

I just wanted to say something "meaningful" in my first post, feel free to provid evidence to reinforce, shift or disprove. Or even add in other reversed metaphors which may have interesting consequences.

Just wanted to have some fun and say hi to everyone and I look forward to chatting to you all in the near future.

pultneytooner
01-Aug-06, 22:19
Hello

After spending the past while reading all your posts I decided to join you all and add where appropriate. The forum recommended I add a post and didn't want to not do what the forum told me to do, or do what the forum tells me not to do!

Now this is the 3rd time I have typed out this post, let me explain. I am in a Hotel room with a semi-German Keyboard on a webTV interface. I couldn't wait to put up my first post so I just decided to persevere. The first time I typed it out the site times out before I clicked post, grr. But as it took me 20mins to find the @ key earlier, and still to this second I cannot find the ctrl key, I was unable to save the post ina copy before posting, so it was lost. The second post I typed out, the hotels net connection dropped and I again lost everthing, so lets try again :)

Maybe it was trying to tell me something, btu I wanted to say hi anyway. I have seen/read some posts which are quite serious, some semi0serious, some bewildering, and somequite amsing, so i just wanted to post something significant to make a bit of an impression. Please bear with me on typing considering my current arrangements.

Anyway, I am off ona tangent and the clock is ticking!!

Often I have seen lecturers use everyday situations to descibe what can initially be considered as complex theories, or at least to introduce them anyway. One that sticks in my mind was first ever lo9ok into electron physics. We were told that an electron is a lot like a person, in that they were very lazy. A person will not climb a stairs if they don't have to, just as an electron will not leave a low energy valence without external stimulation. Where an EM field or increased heat could stimulate an electron to go up a valence band, just as a cattle prod or flamethrower could encourafe someone to run up the stairs.

If we assume for a moment(Keeping an open mind) that as me are made up of hundreds of billions of electrons inside our atomic structure, could it not be considered that the reason we don't want to go up the stairs is because the electrons like staying at a lower energy level??

That is to say we are lazy because electrons are lazy! An interesting thought, if just for fun. We could add more evidence to how electrons control us if we consider the heisenberg principal. This states hat the harder you try to more accurately determine the position of an electron, the harder it is to find, in a similar way, the harder you try and look for a spouse on a Saturday night in Wick, the harder it is to find them!!

I just wanted to say something "meaningful" in my first post, feel free to provid evidence to reinforce, shift or disprove. Or even add in other reversed metaphors which may have interesting consequences.

Just wanted to have some fun and say hi to everyone and I look forward to chatting to you all in the near future.
You should get on famously with Dr Szin, he's the brains round here.

Itoshi
01-Aug-06, 22:21
Is this the first Caithness.Org physics lesson?

Welcome :)

Antediluvian
01-Aug-06, 22:24
Well classes can be Tuesdays and Thursdays if you want, funnily enough though it was a Chemistry lesson.

I have heard many stories of many orgers, and am looking forard to meeting all of you,

canuck
01-Aug-06, 23:06
Thank goodness for your chemistry lesson. It came just in time. I was really starting to feel guilty about being on vacation and spending all my time connected to the org. But you say lazy is natural. You are my newest hero!

Welcome to the wacky world of the org.

crayola
01-Aug-06, 23:12
Is this the first Caithness.Org physics lesson?Oh God not another one. I've seen two from Szin this week already. JUst keep quiet eh? Sssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Anyways electrons must be lazy cause they're male. Maybe they had more energy in antedeluvian times before men starting messing around in big boats. Who invented elecrtons anyway? I don't remember reading anything in Genesis about them so it can't have been God. It must have been man. Right, yeah, that's why they're lazy.

Antediluvian
01-Aug-06, 23:14
Thank goodness for your chemistry lesson. It came just in time. I was really starting to feel guilty about being on vacation and spending all my time connected to the org. But you say lazy is natural. You are my newest hero!

Welcome to the wacky world of the org.

Glad to be of service, would seem laziness is elctrochemical and only a cattle prod or flamethrower could change that...

It would seem a common thread caithnesians ending up in the home of maple syrup, or were you born in labatts(Deepest apologies if spelt wrong) country?

Antediluvian
01-Aug-06, 23:23
Oh God not another one. I've seen two from Szin this week already. JUst keep quiet eh? Sssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Anyways electrons must be lazy cause they're male. Maybe they had more energy in antedeluvian times before men starting messing around in big boats. Who invented elecrtons anyway? I don't remember reading anything in Genesis about them so it can't have been God. It must have been man. Right, yeah, that's why they're lazy.

Interesting addendum, lets expand on this and see where it goes. The other particles concerned are protons and netrons. Protons exist only to add mass, they have many other wonderful properties am sure anyone with wikipedia experience will copy and paste, or the good doctor. But the exact opposite are protons, owing to the reverse charge. now protons are considerably heavier than electrons(But the same mass roughly as neutrons) and they stay bolted in the core causing the electros to run around randomly in furious orbits.Very good analagy. Men are lazy electrons, Women are bossy protons that sit around and get electrons to do all the work.. We're getting somewhere. :Razz

Interestingly antediluvians are more well described in hindu texts rather than the bible but they had different names.

canuck
01-Aug-06, 23:30
Glad to be of service, would seem laziness is elctrochemical and only a cattle prod or flamethrower could change that...

It would seem a common thread caithnesians ending up in the home of maple syrup, or were you born in labatts(Deepest apologies if spelt wrong) country?

I'm a labattian through and through. The brilliant aforementioned DrSzin randomly assigned me the German team to cheer on in the World Cup. So I have learned a bit about the country that seems to have had an influence on the computer with which you are struggling. As for my knowledge of Scotland the orgers just pour stuff into me everyday.

Antediluvian
01-Aug-06, 23:36
I'm a labattian through and through. The brilliant aforementioned DrSzin randomly assigned me the German team to cheer on in the World Cup. So I have learned a bit about the country that seems to have had an influence on the computer with which you are struggling. As for my knowledge of Scotland the orgers just pour stuff into me everyday.

The most frustrating thing with this computer is am only in England at the moment!!! Not a million miles away although I still got searched at the border!!

Will you be assigning teams to the hockey world cup? who would you give the Czech Republic to? I do think you were robbed in that game!!

crayola
02-Aug-06, 00:05
Protons exist only to add massThink you mean neutrons there AnteD. They're the real men, the politicians. They sit around in their saturated shells and give the orders while their highly charged neighbours do all the work.

Why you using a QWERTZUIOP if you're in Ingurland?

Antediluvian
02-Aug-06, 00:19
Think you mean neutrons there AnteD. They're the real men, the politicians. They sit around in their saturated shells and give the orders while their highly charged neighbours do all the work.

Why you using a QWERTZUIOP if you're in Ingurland?

Very true, thank you for correcting. The strangest thing is, even thought it shows QWERTZUIOP on the keyboard it types as QWERTYUIOP. but still throws me. Still can't find ctrl. res1, res2, and res3 I thought might be but it don't work!

Will be back to normal soon though. They smoke in pubs here.. how odd??!?

j4bberw0ck
02-Aug-06, 00:29
Good evening, Antediluvian........ sounds as though the computer / TV web thingie (excuse the precision) has a UK keyboard driver installed, but a German kb plugged in. Depending on the kit you're using, it may be possible to change the driver in Windows........ but I'm not surprised you can't find some keys.

Not sure about all the slagging off of electrons; clever things, electrons. Fire one electron at a card with two slits in it one electron wide, and it'll go through both slits simultaneously. Doesn't sound lazy to me..........[lol]

Rheghead
02-Aug-06, 00:33
Antediluvian, after the flood of all this info about subatomic particles, I must say you have made quite an entrance onto the Org, it was a joy to me to see again a post so eloquently written. Since we seem to be brothers in the order of chemistry, may I extend to you a philanthropic welcome to the Org.

It is hard to weed through some of the other posts but it is so refreshing to see a worthy initiate who can sail onto the boards as if on a royal regatta.

I will take some comfort now knowing that all is not lost.

Welcome!

crayola
02-Aug-06, 00:45
Crikey, is this a chemists' love-in or can anyone join in?

canuck
02-Aug-06, 05:00
I will take some comfort now knowing that all is not lost.

Welcome!

This one won't give you an inch!

As a result of one of our great org debates, I spent all spring reading up on the the chemistry of emotions. But I am not really complaining. It was great fun relearning all that biochemistry from my olden days.

Ricco
02-Aug-06, 07:32
(partial)

Oh please! Not Labatts - what a gross beer to choose for your example. A much better choice woould be Kokanee. Now that's a good beer! lol :lol:

canuck
02-Aug-06, 14:15
Will you be assigning teams to the hockey world cup? who would you give the Czech Republic to? I do think you were robbed in that game!!

The number of orgers participating in a World Cup Hockey pool will be pretty limited. I figure Peter MacDonald for sure and likely Tristan. That means we three each have to take on several teams. Maybe we will wait until the final four are decided before assigning them. What do you think - Canada, Sweden, Norway and the Czech Republic? Nothing lazy about any of them.

I do have to agree with Ricco about Labatts. In fact I am not sure that there are any really good Canadian beers other than what you might get from one of the better micro breweries. Must be the way the electrons jump around in the hot Canadian sun. Humidex of 50C again today.

Antediluvian
02-Aug-06, 16:59
The number of orgers participating in a World Cup Hockey pool will be pretty limited. I figure Peter MacDonald for sure and likely Tristan. That means we three each have to take on several teams. Maybe we will wait until the final four are decided before assigning them. What do you think - Canada, Sweden, Norway and the Czech Republic? Nothing lazy about any of them.

I do have to agree with Ricco about Labatts. In fact I am not sure that there are any really good Canadian beers other than what you might get from one of the better micro breweries. Must be the way the electrons jump around in the hot Canadian sun. Humidex of 50C again today.

Thanks all for the posts!!!

Well I am glad to be back in the land of wind and spoons. I am never going to slag off internet explorer again. Unfortunately I did not have a windows interface to change any drivers, just a browser pane and address bar.. grrr.

I have to admit am not a big labatts drinker, I just new many either drank that or Molsons, and after an internal debate I thought a Labattian sounded cooler than a Molsonian. Am more a fan of Moosehead, Black Pearl or Keiths; Atlantic beers I know but worth tearing apart Edinburgh to find in my travels, and find them I did. Strangely enough Bin Ends in Wick stocked Moosehead for a while!?!

And am sure we could whip a few orgers into a hockey frenzy..

canuck
02-Aug-06, 17:06
I shall give you Moosehead as drinkable. But it has nothing to do with my avatar. That was a gift from a fellow orger on a very boring night when we were working hard to overcome an electron lethargy.

I found some Ontario Inniskillin wine in Thurso.