PDA

View Full Version : What a Hero!

Anfield
26-Oct-10, 17:37
That is the piece of scum that killed the magnificent stag "The Emperor of Exmoor" Story (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-11624253)

Pity he was not on the helicopter that crashed at the weekend carrying more "Big Game Hunters" killing our wildlife

Jeid
26-Oct-10, 17:40
That'll produce a grand venison steak or two. Om nom nom

teenybash
26-Oct-10, 18:25
So sad and the hunters are making their pathetic excuses trying to justify their brutallity....[disgust]

spaceddaisy
26-Oct-10, 18:35
I'm not sure that I understand the problem here. I'm an animal lover but have no real problems with shooting as long as the animal is used as opposed to being killed for killing's sake.

It appears to have been a clean kill, the animal is unlikely to have suffered any more than a cow being slaughtered.

Red deer are destructive animals, their numbers do need to be controlled (although I can't speak for the numbers in the area of Exmoor this happened in)and they don't have any real natural predators in the UK anymore.

buggyracer
26-Oct-10, 18:47
selling days to stalk helps provide for habitat for the deer, this story is nothing more than journo rubbish :(

scotsboy
26-Oct-10, 19:02
That is the piece of scum that killed the magnificent stag "The Emperor of Exmoor" Story (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-11624253)

Pity he was not on the helicopter that crashed at the weekend carrying more "Big Game Hunters" killing our wildlife

Why? because YOU consider what he was doing to be wrong?

ducati
26-Oct-10, 20:25
Why? because YOU consider what he was doing to be wrong?

Do you never wish ill on those you disagree with? ;)

northener
26-Oct-10, 20:51
selling days to stalk helps provide for habitat for the deer, this story is nothing more than journo rubbish :(

How do you arrive at that conclusion?

Most of the landscape around you is managed. That management requires money, stalking raises revenue which enables the whole thing to keep rolling.

For example, deer netting a few acres of woodland to prevent deer entering it and destroying all the saplings can be a costly excersise.

Jeid
26-Oct-10, 20:53
How do you arrive at that conclusion?

Most of the landscape around you is managed. That management requires money, stalking raises revenue which enables the whole thing to keep rolling.

For example, deer netting a few acres of woodland to prevent deer entering it and destroying all the saplings can be a costly excersise.

I think you're making the same point as buggyracer

northener
26-Oct-10, 20:56
I think you're making the same point as buggyracer

I really should pay more attention, Jeid.

Apologies Buggyracer, ah were looking at it from the wrong end.:Razz

Logical
26-Oct-10, 21:03
You had me confused Northener.

I dont think this is a problem, the dear was killed cleanly so didn't suffer. Dear stalking is going on all the time, no need to get emotional because this was the biggest prettiest dear of them all.

porshiepoo
26-Oct-10, 21:21
I just don't understand the need for anyone to kill these creatures simply for 'trophies' sake.
To spend time and money stalking that magnificent creature purely to put a bullet through it is just sad. If a person has such ridiculous amounts of cash spare then there are many charities that would benefit from it.

Yet another sick sport that will probably hide behind the pathetic "these animals need culling" scenario.

Logical
26-Oct-10, 21:29
Yeah, using the animal as a trophy is a bit barbaric.

But stalking animals is a big part of culture and something that some of us think is just plain wrong because we aren't used to it.

unicorn
26-Oct-10, 21:50
I wish someone had shot the stag that wrote our jeep off a few years ago, dangerous creatures when they are amassing by the roads, thank god we only hit it at 15 mph due to fog.
Had we been in a car with no bullbar it would have been a very different story.
There are huge amounts of deer down by the roads all year round these days, thousands starving in the winter, that says to me that a cull is necessary.

Dadie
26-Oct-10, 21:54
And to make matters worse ... often the blasted deer bounds off after totalling the car!
But they shouldnt be killed just for a trophy .. the meat should be utilised too!
Venison is a lean meat, low in colesterol..and if lovingly prepared and cooked very tasty:D

unicorn
26-Oct-10, 22:02
No I don't think a trophy kill is right at all, if an animal is to be killed as much as possible should be used.
You cannot beat some tender wild venison mmm

luskentyre
27-Oct-10, 00:07
I wish someone had shot the stag that wrote our jeep off a few years ago, dangerous creatures when they are amassing by the roads, thank god we only hit it at 15 mph due to fog.
There are huge amounts of deer down by the roads all year round these days, thousands starving in the winter, that says to me that a cull is necessary.

Yes, because a jeep is far more important than a wild animal isn't it? Think you need to get your priorities in order.

Jeid
27-Oct-10, 00:30
Can someone point me to where it said that the stag would be used as a trophy? I must've missed that part.

Metalattakk
27-Oct-10, 01:11
Yes, because a jeep is far more important than a wild animal isn't it? Think you need to get your priorities in order.

Wind yer neck in:

The point seems to be lost on reactionary idiots.

theone
27-Oct-10, 01:55
I love venison.

I don't understand how this made the news.

Is it because this was a big particularly big one?

Stags get shot everyday. It's a way of life that has being going on for years.

changilass
27-Oct-10, 01:55

I would think that herself and her family were, and should be, the priority here.

No one with any sense woudl argue that a cull is needed, how it is done, is something that may be worthy of discussion (but only with sensible folks lol).

Dadie
27-Oct-10, 08:07
The occupants of the car are the main priority in a collision with a deer.
Just like in any nasty accident,Make safe.. then human life takes priority.
Then animal and property!

northener
27-Oct-10, 08:41
The reporting of this incident appears to be rather selective and one sided.

The 'trophy' comments are mere speculation. The comments regarding the deer being possibly culled despite being 'in good health' are fairly meaningless. Deer are managed for culling on an age basis as well as a health basis.

When deer get older they lose their teeth and will soon lose condition, there are no natural predators of deer in the UK and the only way these animals will die is by starving to death or being culled.

This would have appeared to have been a magnificent animal, but it still is part of the herd and needs managing as such. Other stags will soon take its place.

(Info from me mate who runs an estate down in Glenshee.)

Jeid
27-Oct-10, 09:39
Good info Northerner, no bias either.

DeHaviLand
27-Oct-10, 11:06

What kind of sick, perverted halfwit would wish people dead simply because they lawfully take part in countrysports? The scum label that you use so easily on others, would far more easily hang on your own neck. [evil]

badger
27-Oct-10, 11:10
Agree that deer need to be culled/managed and can be dangerous on roads but surely the sad thing about this particular kill is that

a) it was during the mating season which I would have thought should be out of season for killing deer (but I don't know)
and

b) which I think is the worst aspect, he was said to be the biggest wild animal in the UK so was actually something rather special, not just any old stag.

If the hunter wanted venison, that's fine, but it doesn't look as if that was the reason else why kill that one at that time?

ducati
27-Oct-10, 11:21
What kind of sick, perverted halfwit would wish people dead simply because they lawfully take part in countrysports? The scum label that you use so easily on others, would far more easily hang on your own neck. [evil]

Personally I think the sick perverted halfwits are the ones with the guns.

That's a scary thought.

Logical
27-Oct-10, 11:31
Personally I think the sick perverted halfwits are the ones with the guns.

That's a scary thought.

And how did you seriously come up with that ridiculous accusation?

ducati
27-Oct-10, 11:34
And how did you seriously come up with that ridiculous accusation?

A lifetime of meeting sick perverted halfwits :roll:

Jeid
27-Oct-10, 11:57
Hunting is a topic that's always gonna end in a bitch fest.

It's one of these for or against sort of topics. No point in debating it.

At the end of the day, everyone is making assumptions about the hunters motives for killing the stag, food, trophy whatever. The stag is dead, loads of them get killed every year in far less humane ways (take a trip down the A9 and you'll find the scattered about the place)

brandy
27-Oct-10, 11:58
im sorry guys but i find this whole post a bit on the silly side.
everyone that is screaming poor deer, im guessing must be vegans and have never killed anything or eaten any kind of meat product or egg, milk or cheese as you are abusing poor defencless animals..
hunting and stalking is something that all predators do and have done since the begining of time. and as we tend to be towards the top of the food chain we are predators!
i love venison.. and in fact prefer it to beef!
i see no problem in hunting and killing deer.
this country is over run with them, and they have no fear of man at all, up here at least.
i was amazed that they graze with the sheep and stand by the side of the road just watching as people drive by them.
they are almost cattle like up here!
also, coming from a hunting family we also respect an animals natural tides.. ie.. mating and rearing seasons.. thats why you can only hunt bucks at certain times of the year and does at certain times of the year.. and you have to maintain a balance.
saying that, im now hungry and wondering where i can get a nice piece of venision. *G*

dafi
27-Oct-10, 12:05
I would be happy to see all deer removed from the highlands and natural forest recover to spread across the hills. That would be one of the finest things to happen for the biodiversity of the nation...rather than maintain a bio desert that suports a cash crop of deer and grouse to benifit the few!!

ducati
27-Oct-10, 12:44
I would be happy to see all deer removed from the highlands and natural forest recover to spread across the hills. That would be one of the finest things to happen for the biodiversity of the nation...rather than maintain a bio desert that suports a cash crop of deer and grouse to benifit the few!!

I agree Dafi, I don't think a lot of posters on here realise how disfuctional and inpoverished our environment is as a result of the estates being let alone to 'manage' the land as they see fit. Pure vandalism, in its more extreme form.

Ricco
27-Oct-10, 13:09
The entire UK has been in a managed state since before the Victorian age. If it wasn't it would be covered in impenetratible forest. We wouldn't have the beautiful scenery that we do nowadays. Part of that management is to also keep animal numbers under control. The alternative is to re-introduce all the natural predators such as wolves.

Sadly, mankind continues to interfere with natural ecological balances and then pays the price, and has to then take over the management of the systems - often with disastrous results. Such management costs big money and that is why we have grouse shoots, pheasant shoots, deer hunting, boar hunting, etc. This chap paid a premium for the priviledge of stalking that big buck and I am sure that no part of the animal would have been wasted.

I expect that the decision would have been made after due careful consideration. You don't remove a viable and valuable breeding buck in his prime, so perhaps the answer is that he was seen as being past his prime. In that case, room has now been made for the next buck to fill the void.

Dadie
27-Oct-10, 13:30
Oh shoot me down in flames!
As far as I can see if you are going to eat meat, an animal is going to have to be killed somehow.
You cannot hang around and hope the animal will just keel over.
Does it really matter if its a bullet/knife stunned and killed as long as its done humanely?
Meat doesnt start off as nice plastic/polystrene wrapped lumps in tescos looking pretty...more like the lambs and cows you see on the way there!
And then you have the slaughterhouse...
Venison used to be seen as meat for the rich or the very poor;)

scorrie
27-Oct-10, 14:13
Can someone point me to where it said that the stag would be used as a trophy? I must've missed that part.

According to this article, the stag was shot by a trophy hunter:-

http://www.cumbernauld-news.co.uk/latest-south-west-news/Prized-giant-stag-39shot-dead.6599188.jp

It is said that a stag of the age of the one involved here is too old and tough for use as venison.

Estimates given on other websites put the value of this stag's head at £2000, no doubt to be used as a grotesque trophy in a large home.

It is estimated that 350,000 deer are culled every year in the UK, this chap just happened to be famous because of his size and made the news because of it. Far worse happens to other animals, and people, with little or no comment. Perspective is the key, in my opinion.

northener
27-Oct-10, 14:26
According to this article, the stag was shot by a trophy hunter:-

http://www.cumbernauld-news.co.uk/latest-south-west-news/Prized-giant-stag-39shot-dead.6599188.jp

It is said that a stag of the age of the one involved here is too old and tough for use as venison.

Estimates given on other websites put the value of this stag's head at £2000, no doubt to be used as a grotesque trophy in a large home.

It is estimated that 350,000 deer are culled every year in the UK, this chap just happened to be famous because of his size and made the news because of it. Far worse happens to other animals, and people, with little or no comment. Perspective is the key, in my opinion.

Yet no-one can identify this 'trophy hunter'.

Speculation on the part of the papers to provoke an outpouring of grief from the great unwashed (IMO, of course).

scotsboy
27-Oct-10, 15:22
Do you never wish ill on those you disagree with? ;)

No. I don't.

ducati
27-Oct-10, 16:56
No. I don't.

You are a better man than I then. :lol:

scorrie
27-Oct-10, 18:02
Yet no-one can identify this 'trophy hunter'.

Speculation on the part of the papers to provoke an outpouring of grief from the great unwashed (IMO, of course).

It may well be speculation but I think it is pretty logical to assume that the main reason anyone would want to pay to shoot this particular stag would be because of its value (not necessarily intrinsic) as a trophy. I expect that the estate involved would exercise the right to protect their client's anonymity.

Then again, I don't have a mate on an estate, so I am unable to pass comments on the state of newspaper reader's hygiene ;)

Logical
27-Oct-10, 19:48
As far as I can see if you are going to eat meat, an animal is going to have to be killed somehow.

That is the most profound sentence I have read all day.
Sums up logic;).

northener
27-Oct-10, 22:48
It may well be speculation but I think it is pretty logical to assume that the main reason anyone would want to pay to shoot this particular stag would be because of its value (not necessarily intrinsic) as a trophy. I expect that the estate involved would exercise the right to protect their client's anonymity.

Then again, I don't have a mate on an estate, so I am unable to pass comments on the state of newspaper reader's hygiene ;)

But the speculation is that someone 'paid' to shoot it in the first place.

Deer get knocked down by estate staff all the time without the involvement of a 'trophy hunter'. That's the point I'm making. No-one has even identified the estate involved yet, let alone the person responsible. Yet the press have been quick to get the opinion of a 'deer management expert'......
....without doing the simple leg-work involved in identifying those actually involved in the estate management.

Like I said, the 'trophy hunter' angle is, at present, unsubstantiated and (IMO) published simply to sell more copy.

And I would fully expect the estate to tell anyone enquiring about the name of the person responsible to go and poke.

luskentyre
28-Oct-10, 00:49
I would think that herself and her family were, and should be, the priority here.

No one with any sense woudl argue that a cull is needed, how it is done, is something that may be worthy of discussion (but only with sensible folks lol).

"No one with any sense..."

"Only with sensible folks lol".

That's right - try and ridicule any argument which opposes yours. When you surpass the debating skills of a 5-year old perhaps you'd like to add something to the discussion?

changilass
28-Oct-10, 00:53
Right back at you, if you think that a deer (or any other animal for that matter) is more important than your own family and kids.

Other than an insult, what exactly does your post add?

theone
28-Oct-10, 01:08

That's right - try and ridicule any argument which opposes yours. When you surpass the debating skills of a 5-year old perhaps you'd like to add something to the discussion?

I think you're being a bit harsh there luskentyre.

I think what changilass was suggesting is that it was not the car that was important, but the people within it.

I think the point being made was that when the deer population reaches levels where the lack of food forces them onto roads or into urban areas then it has to be reduced.

northener
28-Oct-10, 07:46
It's happened again:(

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/environment/fury-over-death-of-britain's-biggest-cow-201010263190/

northener
28-Oct-10, 07:55
And if you believe culling of any animal is uneccesary - read this horrific piece. They're out of control, I tell you.:eek:

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/london-to-be-socially-cleansed-after-child-bitten-by-poor-person-201010243188/

unicorn
28-Oct-10, 08:57

Luskentyre when you and loved ones are put at risk due to a very large animal belting onto the road in rutting season, then say I was more worried about the car, the antler broke the windscreen where my head was, now if me being stuck through the brain with an antler in the middle of nowhere miles from the nearest village is more important than a deer, then so be it but I don't actually think deer causing this kind of risk to people due to hunger is very acceptable.

Jeid
28-Oct-10, 09:13
It's happened again:(

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/environment/fury-over-death-of-britain's-biggest-cow-201010263190/

:lol:

It's a great website and I always forget about it!

Errogie
28-Oct-10, 11:55
Whatever your views on blood sports, eating meat, or having a wall adorned with dead animals I'm afraid that this seems to be another example of of the sporting lobby shooting themselves nowhere but in the foot once again.

If the animal was known to be some sort of contender for the Guiness Book of Records, what a great local asset, how many would have flocked to see it photograph it, and spend their pennies in the wider area. It should have been allowed to live out its days in the locality and spread its reputation far and wide.

Unfortunately many immature people who need a firearm as a crutch in order to enjoy the countrysde cannot see any further than the end of a gun barrel and it has to be said that the standard of rural estate management is often deplorable. It doesn't take a crossword enthusiast to create an annagram of imagination from management but when you regard the scrap of paper which is your title deed as conferring total authority to do whatever you want the grey matter is never going to be stretched very far!

buggyracer
28-Oct-10, 12:35
Whatever your views on blood sports, eating meat, or having a wall adorned with dead animals I'm afraid that this seems to be another example of of the sporting lobby shooting themselves nowhere but in the foot once again.

If the animal was known to be some sort of contender for the Guiness Book of Records, what a great local asset, how many would have flocked to see it photograph it, and spend their pennies in the wider area. It should have been allowed to live out its days in the locality and spread its reputation far and wide.

Unfortunately many immature people who need a firearm as a crutch in order to enjoy the countrysde cannot see any further than the end of a gun barrel and it has to be said that the standard of rural estate management is often deplorable. It doesn't take a crossword enthusiast to create an annagram of imagination from management but when you regard the scrap of paper which is your title deed as conferring total authority to do whatever you want the grey matter is never going to be stretched very far!

i dont think in terms of red deer stags in that area it was an exceptional animal, a good specimen, yes, exceptional, no, there are plenty other similar quality stags to be found in the area, but the media/anti blood sports group, would lead joe public to beleive the opposite, why?? go figure ;)

Logical
28-Oct-10, 13:35

Oh, you have spell check and access to Google as well.

Amazing how educated it makes you sound isn't it.

Anybody who puts a wild animal before the safety of their family cant be right in the head!

scorrie
29-Oct-10, 00:43
:lol:

It's a great website and I always forget about it!

Wonder why that might be? If something is that good, one normally remembers to check in once in a while.

I don't follow the site myself but the two examples quoted by Northener are definitely safely filed under "Secondary school, substitute one thing for another and hope for a funny result, pish"

scorrie
29-Oct-10, 00:52
Like I said, the 'trophy hunter' angle is, at present, unsubstantiated and (IMO) published simply to sell more copy.

The Cumbernauld News has a readership listed at less than 9000, the actual number of sales will be less than that. I would think a decent page 3 model would pull in more new readers than a dead stag!!

northener
29-Oct-10, 06:48
The Cumbernauld News has a readership listed at less than 9000, the actual number of sales will be less than that. I would think a decent page 3 model would pull in more new readers than a dead stag!!

Ahem:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/8087001/Exmoor-Emperor-killed-anger-at-shooting-of-prized-stag.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1323496/Emperor-Exmoor-shot-dead-Giant-red-stag-gunned-legally-antlers.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-11624253

I believe these media companies may cover areas outwith Cumbernauld....but I may be wrong......

And finally, just to show how ridiculous the whole media hype is around this incident, the Guardian has now published this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/oct/28/exmoor-emperor-shooting-mystery

(edit) I think a missing parrot may double the Cumbernauld papers circulation:Razz

northener
29-Oct-10, 07:02
Whilst we are on the subject of media coverage (and the great unwasheds' reaction to published articles):

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/west-central/70142-locals-horrified-by-airgun-shooting-of-tame-deer/

How come we didn't see the same level of UK outrage regarding this despicable act of outright cruelty?

So, the public become incensed at would appear to be a legitimate shooting, yet the horrendous torture of a partially tame red deer passes by relatively unreported UK-wide........

......now, why would that be?

Could it be because the public are more bothered by the fact that people may have paid money for this shot? Could it be that, to many, this conveniently allows them to wage their skewed 'class war', or allow them to promote their own anti-gun stance at the expense of legitimate shooting?

The image of a 'wealthy gun toting killer' has been firmly implanted in the largely ignorant publics' mind - probably at the expense of a little matter called truth.

Pity the Glencoe deer didn't get the same coverage - that would have been more realistic and relevant reportage. But the public needs to be spoon fed crap - so let's not involve something uncomfortable like images of downright cruelty, wouldn't want to upset anyone - would we?

Bravo British media, you certainly know your audience.

northener
29-Oct-10, 07:08

See post #56

I believe you're confusing your dislike for big landowners with reality;)

_Ju_
29-Oct-10, 07:59
Culling/population control of deer will not stop them from coming down off the mountains and causing road accidents. They come down to more populated areas when they can no longer feed themselves on the pastures up the mountains. So when you are driving at night, in the winter through areas known for deer (something like this will give warning: http://www.clker.com/clipart-11933.html ), very defensive driving need to be carried out. Also deer travel in small groups. Where one bounds out, more than likely another will soon follow.

About the shooting of this large stag: it is very short sighted. It was an exceptionally large animal, that in my opinion, would have brought walkers and the like to the area in the hopes of spotting him and "shooting" him with a camera. As a culling excercise, his death was pointless. He was male. You do not get population control through culling the males (and yes, I know that population control is a necessity and has to be carried out!). His meat would not have been exceptionally good as he was an animal of an age already, even if it was a larger ammount than usual. So if he was not killed for population control. If he was not killed for food. Then the obvious reason for his killing was for the trophy which makes his death a blood sport. Not something I personally support.

Ricco
29-Oct-10, 09:24
Did anyone else watch BBC Autumn Watch last night? Chris Packham had some very interesting and pertinent things to say about the issue. Apparently the stag was about 10 years old and in prime health. He commented on the number of deer culled each year (in excess of 300,000!) and the reasons why this happens. He did express surprise that a stag as much in the public eye was chosen!

ducati
29-Oct-10, 10:15
While we're on the subject of murdering brain dead yahoo's...ahem..big game hunters.

I've read recently, that fat American businessmen can now pay vast amounts of money to shoot Polar Bears in Northern Canada or Alaska or somewhere.

Here's me thinking at least if it's on a global endangered species list and protected by international agreements it would be safe..but no [disgust] not from money.

Corrie 3
29-Oct-10, 12:44
And blood sport for the not so rich??? I read yesterday that a poor horse had been stabbed to death in his field with about 20 stab wounds to the face and neck!!!!!
I hope the killer got some happiness and sense of achievement from doing this and then I hope someone gets hold of him and tortures him to death with a hot poker around his rear end.

Some people are just sick in the things they do! We are far too soft in this country!!

C3....[evil][evil][evil]