PDA

View Full Version : ConDem Governmment, the shortest political honeymoon perhaps?

Rheghead
26-Oct-10, 13:59
It should be a bit early to say the ConDem government is having midterm blues after just 6 months but it looks like Labour are nudging ahead in popularity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_genera l_election

How long before there is a vote of no confidence do you think?

ducati
26-Oct-10, 16:00
I don't know, but after the third quarter growth figures, I'm feeling reasonably confident that all is heading in the right direction. :D

Corrie 3
26-Oct-10, 16:07
I think it all depends on whether jobs can be found for all those who are being made redundant. If the jobs cant be found and the unemployment figures go up dramatically then I think questions will be asked.
What annoys me about this marriage is it seems to me that its all LibDems that are coming on TV and the press and declaring that we are doing this and we are doing that, it appears that they are running things and not the Tories................Not bad for a Party that came THIRD in the elections.

C3....:mad:

Duncansby
26-Oct-10, 16:15
Canon fodder? [lol]

John Little
26-Oct-10, 16:19
I think Labour did it very well.

They refuse a decent deal with the Lib Dems and give them little choice but to form an alliance with the Tories. They know damn fine that somebody's got to do the cuts and whoever does it is going to come out smelly.

So they sit back for a wee while, choose a new leader and regroup.

And hey-ho - someone's done their dirty work for them and they are Teflon.

Next time they'll be in for another ten years.

Tories branded party of cuts.

Lib-Dems kaput for good.

Job done.

Not very cunning really, but it will serve.

Duncansby
26-Oct-10, 18:21
I think it all depends on whether jobs can be found for all those who are being made redundant.

I agree - it'll be interesting to see what happens to GDP after the cuts and vAT rise have been implemented. I hope the govt are right because come April when my contract ends I'd really like to be able to find another job!

Phill
26-Oct-10, 18:37
I suspect the tories have a game plan to come out of this looking all rosy by the time the next election comes round.

Get all the kicks in early and spend the next few years sweetening us up.

I reckon we'll see VAT back down to 15% again as a gimmick before the next election.
And there will be a another tax cut of some sort. They'll also claim they pulled the troops out of Afghanistan as well.
They'll claim they've got rid of the deficit even if they end up borrowing from somewhere and hiding it in another budget or offsetting it for a few years.

The fun will be to see how the Liberals & tories will try and tear each other apart during the campaign.

ducati
26-Oct-10, 19:15
Well settle back boys and girls because they aint going anywhere for a whiley :D

While we're on the subject, the US's love affair with Obama seems to have been short lived. It looks like they're gonner get creamed in the mid-terms

Chrisf1961
26-Oct-10, 19:46
Ive gotta say guys n gals that politics bores me rigid.....why the chuff cant i wake up in the mornings and just see some different news on the old box but no its this and that bloody correspondent outside the Houses of P or Vince Cables mug on every bloody channel going....Do they seriously think that anyone gives a rats ass about politics ? well i dont for one and lets face it the people of this country are that bloody stupid in that no matter what they promise ( or dont continue with) and with all this expenses saga they ripped us off with, i ask why should we be bloody be interested anyway!

If i see David Camerons ( smarmy made up perfect face) again this week i swear the chuffin teles going through...............

John Little
26-Oct-10, 20:03
"A shocking crime was committed on the unscrupulous initiative of few individuals, with the blessing of more, and amid the passive acquiescence of all. "

Tacitus

Chrisf1961
26-Oct-10, 20:07
aye an we were ruddy stupid enough to vote for them.......makes my blood boil ......ive always said what happened re the expenses scandal if that occured in a country which was say unstable the local natives would have marched on Parliament and burned them outta their cosy chambers ...mmm seems like a good idea......

Bazeye
26-Oct-10, 23:12
aye an we were ruddy stupid enough to vote for them.......makes my blood boil ......ive always said what happened re the expenses scandal if that occured in a country which was say unstable the local natives would have marched on Parliament and burned them outta their cosy chambers ...mmm seems like a good idea......

Patience......

ducati
27-Oct-10, 17:04
I watched PMs questions today, a rare treat, as I am seldom around to watch telly at that time. Mr Cameron wiped the floor with Mr Milliband, comprehensively, showing the opposition as a bunch of moaners and complainers with no alternative to offer.

Much like many on this thread :eek::lol::Razz

bekisman
27-Oct-10, 17:14

They refuse a decent deal with the Lib Dems and give them little choice but to form an alliance with the Tories. They know damn fine that somebody's got to do the cuts and whoever does it is going to come out smelly.

Lib-Dems kaput for good.

Job done.

We'll see, but I think you're (wishfull) dreaming John..

John Little
27-Oct-10, 18:16
Wishful? No- I don't support them B. I'm just observing it and I know too much political history not to look at this and think down those lines. It's been done before. On more than one occasion too. I can think of at least twice in the 2oth century.

Green_not_greed
27-Oct-10, 21:34
Just more scaremongering from our local expert........

scorrie
27-Oct-10, 22:39
"A shocking crime was committed on the unscrupulous initiative of few individuals, with the blessing of more, and amid the passive acquiescence of all. "

Tacitus

"In future times, I foresee the manufacture of a small mint confection of an approximately ovoid shape, bearing a wishy-washy taste that will be claimed to be mint but which actually contains less of the substance than will ever be able to be proven by the science of the day"

Tictacus

John Little
27-Oct-10, 22:42
Aye - well that's why the legions ate Kendal Mint Cake innit? :cool:

Paul_and_Anna
28-Oct-10, 12:08
Here, Here!

........................... (quickly abstains from voting and heads off to the cafe for a quick cuppa, hoping to avoid the allegedly armed madman in Wick)

rob murray
28-Oct-10, 13:26

Lib-Dems kaput for good.

Job done.

Good analysis...key issues which will effect the outcome will all occur over next two years...ie extent of cuts and actual redundancies / job losses tied to economic performance ( private sector ability to mop up public sector slack ), and public reaction ( organised or otherwise ) to service cuts and unemployment rates

Corrie 3
28-Oct-10, 13:43
Here, Here!

........................... (quickly abstains from voting and heads off to the cafe for a quick cuppa, hoping to avoid the allegedly armed madman in Wick)
Hope you have your bullet proof vest on Paul, and watch out for your face getting slashed........Its war out there!!!!!!

C3....;):roll::lol:

tonkatojo
28-Oct-10, 19:25
Good ole Boris, what a shame he's true blue. :lol:

ducati
28-Oct-10, 21:32
Dont know what he's worried about, he won't be losing any voters will he?

Ken should be more concerned:lol:

Personally, I love my taxes going to pay the 40k a year rent of someone living off the state in Westminster.:eek:

Alan16
28-Oct-10, 21:40
I watched PMs questions today, a rare treat, as I am seldom around to watch telly at that time. Mr Cameron wiped the floor with Mr Milliband, comprehensively, showing the opposition as a bunch of moaners and complainers with no alternative to offer.

Much like many on this thread :eek::lol::Razz

I saw PMQs as well and got a totally different impression from it. How many times did Milliband ask Cameron a direct question which Cameron would not answer directly? Quite a few times if you were watching the same one I was. The most amusing part of it all was that Cameron made a big deal about the advice given to Milliband beforehand (Is he trying to suggest that nobody gave him similar advice?), especially the part about looking for a "sound bite for the press" which he then proceeded to follow with an obviously pre-thought out sound bite of his own.

ducati
28-Oct-10, 23:07
I saw PMQs as well and got a totally different impression from it. How many times did Milliband ask Cameron a direct question which Cameron would not answer directly? Quite a few times if you were watching the same one I was. The most amusing part of it all was that Cameron made a big deal about the advice given to Milliband beforehand (Is he trying to suggest that nobody gave him similar advice?), especially the part about looking for a "sound bite for the press" which he then proceeded to follow with an obviously pre-thought out sound bite of his own.

We wear different coloured tints on our glasses ;)

Alan16
30-Oct-10, 18:13
We wear different coloured tints on our glasses ;)

At least I had mine on. :D

pinotnoir
31-Oct-10, 01:56
Seen without the prism of a right wing press, Ed Miliband did very well to corner Cameron the other day. He needs to keep it up rele
ntlessly picking at the bare threads of this horrible Government.
The Lib Dems 'centre left' stance see to have been a sham, their heart may be on the left but their wallet is very much on the right.

Corrie 3
31-Oct-10, 08:25
Does anyone know what John Thurso's views are on the ConDem alliance? I wonder if he agrees with it or not, he has been very quiet since the election.

C3....:roll: