PDA

View Full Version : Firewood

bobbyb
26-Oct-10, 11:45
Hi, Has anyone ever heard of scavenging permission with the Forestry Commission? Being able to collect scrap firewood from the forest after they have cut it down? Like a 3 month license?

Does anyone know where the best place is to get firewood from? How often do dunnet forest have sales?

Any help would be much appreciated :)

DeHaviLand
26-Oct-10, 12:13
Aye, I used to have one of these. The deal is that you can collect anything you can carry. You cant take a saw with you, so that limits the size of wood you're able to take away.
Last one I had was about 7 years ago, and I believe things have changed since then. I paid £25 for mine, lasted 3 months as you say.
best to phone Forest Enterprise in Inverness for the latest information.

teddybear1873
26-Oct-10, 12:54
Hi, Has anyone ever heard of scavenging permission with the Forestry Commission? Being able to collect scrap firewood from the forest after they have cut it down? Like a 3 month license?

Does anyone know where the best place is to get firewood from? How often do dunnet forest have sales?

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Why don't you try Golspie Sawmill? Even though it's a wee trip, I used to go doon there and get a big lorry load for 10 quid. Call the bloke up and see what he says.

If your after just firewood, that will be your best bet in my opinion.

rs 2k
26-Oct-10, 13:02
A friend of ours has a licence for dunnet forest and its £55 for 3 months

Thats all i know :D

Skirza
26-Oct-10, 13:46
I got a license for rumster forest. Phone the forestry commission at golspie, it's £52.50 for 3 months

dunnetforest
26-Oct-10, 17:52
Just to let you know that the next log sale at Dunnet Forest is this coming Saturday morning the 30th October from 10am until 1pm. All log sale information can be found on the forest website www.dunnetforest.org (http://www.dunnetforest.org) . The forest holds a sale each month from September until May, if you can't manage a Saturday morning log sale please ring the number on the website to arrange an alternative collection time.
Dunnet Forest doesn't issue three monthly licences,only forests run by the Forestry Commission may come under this arrangement. Dunnet Forest is a community forest run by Dunnet Forestry Trust(a group of volunteers) for the benefit and use of everyone. The money raised from the monthly sale of logs/firewood is all ploughed back into the forest and may be used for path maintenance, tree planting etc, the list is long and endless!
The Trust always gives a very warm welcome to volunteers who may like to help with general forest maintenance (not chainsaws!) for a few hours from time to time or perhaps you would just like to become a life member of the Dunnet Foresty Trust, if either of these appeal to you all information is on the forest website.
Please come for a visit.

bobbyb
27-Oct-10, 16:48
Thanks for all your help on this :) Skirza does the same rules apply for you at Rumster? only being able to take what you can pick up without a saw?