PDA

View Full Version : horse feed

susan hutchinson
26-Oct-10, 10:09
geddes in wick very dear for feed, thay wanted 12.50 for a bag ov bran and 8 pound something 4 suger beet.

All boxed up
26-Oct-10, 10:35
I found that the other day, really expensive, i know prices have gone up but they seem to have really hiked up their prices.

angie.a
27-Oct-10, 10:13
I've was actually surprised to find that Pets at Home are reasonable for horse feed, there's not a great selection but I think they will order in.

nicolesilverlady
27-Oct-10, 10:40
hi i would just like to say that the price that you were charged were wrong!!
The sugar beet is priced at £5.82 a bag and the bran is £11.30. i would go back and see them as they will be happy enough to refund your money. horse food prices are very good i think.

K.B
27-Oct-10, 12:27
keep on truckin on here sells horse feed, worth asking what the prices are? plus they deliver! hope this helps :D

horsegirl
27-Oct-10, 17:57
I have always found Geddes to be reasonably priced. There is not much of their food that is dearer than the CLB.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
27-Oct-10, 18:17
hi i would just like to say that the price that you were charged were wrong!!
The sugar beet is priced at £5.82 a bag and the bran is £11.30. i would go back and see them as they will be happy enough to refund your money. horse food prices are very good i think.

Hey the sugar beet prices have just gone up though across the board - when i went to order today from my supplier I found out :-(

nicolesilverlady
27-Oct-10, 19:34
I was in Geddes in Thurso for horse feed and asked the price of sugar beet and the new season price is 5.82 / 25kg bag pellets. I use Rowan and Barberry ready fibre mash which soaks in 5 mins instead of sugar beet although dearer to buy i use a lot less of it. Lots of my friends use it as well. Caroline Swanson in Thurso will help you out. Hope this helps

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
27-Oct-10, 21:38
I agree the Soft and Soak range is good....and a nice winter warmer when you make with hot water ....

aston1
29-Oct-10, 15:32
why not see how many 'speedy beet' costs? im sure its cheaper and its quicker to make up than sugar beet, and you dont have to wait the 24hours. Thnks

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
29-Oct-10, 15:44
Speedi beet is dearer product - because of the conveniance - it's a much more how would you say "watered down? " "thinned out?" version of sugar beet...

sweep
31-Oct-10, 23:38
find geddes quite pricy for horse feed. try to buy as little as possible there.

liz_paul
05-Nov-10, 11:05
I get my horse feed from keep on trucking on here.
Her prices are good and delivers to you aswell.
She sells feed for horse, sheep, dog, hens, Goats...
She also sells horse tack, brushes, rugs etc.
Good Prices and a good Service!!

nicolesilverlady
05-Nov-10, 20:10
Do all you horse owners realise that there is legislation in place requiring all companies who supply feed to be registered with UKASTA. This registration requires the supplier to adhere to the safe storage and supply of feed and costs the company a lot of money. To my knowledge Geddes and CLB are both members of UKASTA

munron
05-Nov-10, 21:54
Do all you horse owners realise that there is legislation in place requiring all companies who supply feed to be registered with UKASTA. This registration requires the supplier to adhere to the safe storage and supply of feed and costs the company a lot of money. To my knowledge Geddes and CLB are both members of UKASTA

Can you supply a link to that legistlation that "requires" registration prior to trading please

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
06-Nov-10, 09:00
Hey - here's a link - here it is....

http://www.proteinfeeds.co.uk/UKASTA.htm

They have developed Assurance schemes for devoping of and merchandising of feed - there are no regulations that say you need to be a member of them before your retail livestock feed.

The full guidelines are here -

http://www.abm.org.uk/_code/common/item.asp?id=4031829

but as far as i'm led to believe it's now the AIC - Agricultural Industries Confederation - and the scheme is UFAS?

the link is here

http://www.agindustries.org.uk/

So in acrual fact there is no UKASTA anymore it's now been replaced by AIC.

nicolesilverlady
07-Nov-10, 11:37
UKASTA or UFAS?, the point im making is reputable companies join these schemes not for their own benefit but for reassurance to their customers that the feed they purchase has been manufactured and stored to set guidelines (CODE OF PRACTICE FOR CONTROL OF SALMONELLA DURING PRODUCTION, STORAGE AND TRANSPORT OF COMNPOUND FEEDS) To implement all the guidelines incurs costs which has to be included in the price per bag of feed

Leanne
07-Nov-10, 18:36
UKASTA or UFAS?, the point im making is reputable companies join these schemes not for their own benefit but for reassurance to their customers that the feed they purchase has been manufactured and stored to set guidelines (CODE OF PRACTICE FOR CONTROL OF SALMONELLA DURING PRODUCTION, STORAGE AND TRANSPORT OF COMNPOUND FEEDS) To implement all the guidelines incurs costs which has to be included in the price per bag of feed

You said that before... I don't get the point?

Mrs Bucket
07-Nov-10, 19:22
The point will be afraid of competition