PDA

View Full Version : What a shocker

shazzap
25-Oct-10, 21:09
What shocked you on your first trip abroad?

Mine was, going to France on a school trip, to find.
Some of the toilets were just holes in the floor.:eek:
A whole new meaning to squatting.[lol]

Dadie
25-Oct-10, 21:11
sleepwalking....every night!

Scarybiscuits03
25-Oct-10, 21:33
Going to Ayia Napa to find they expect you to put your toilet roll in a bin rather than down the toilet!!!.......

teddybear1873
25-Oct-10, 21:35
Germany : Females showing shredded wheat from their oxters.

unicorn
25-Oct-10, 21:45
Any beach with Germans, have they no shame, stripping off and letting it all literally hang out ewwwww.

Metalattakk
25-Oct-10, 21:59
Any beach with Germans, have they no shame, stripping off and letting it all literally hang out ewwwww.

First trip abroad there was one woman who insisted on going topless by the pool. She was mid-fifties and quite a bit overweight. She could have played keepy-uppy with them. Crikey, if she'd have had to run for a bus, she'd have tripped over the damn things! :eek:

But all was not lost, you couldn't see the pool from the bar.

And yes, she was German. :lol:

shazzap
25-Oct-10, 22:03
It looks like the Germans are infront, in the shocker stakes just now.

Unless YOU know better.

porshiepoo
25-Oct-10, 22:06
Not our first holiday abroad but....

Arriving at Nairobi airport with OH and kids in tow and having ruddy massive guns shoved in our faces and then being used to push us back.
(we were racing for a connecting flight and had been told to apply for visa at Malindi airport NOT Nairobi. Armed guards and officials had other ideas though). :eek::lol:

webmannie
25-Oct-10, 22:08
could have played keepy-uppy with them.

Aye Metalattakk is a dab hand at the keepy-uppy!

Metalattakk
25-Oct-10, 22:31
Aye Metalattakk is a dab hand at the keepy-uppy!

Ye're no so far behind in the moob stakes. Can ye no' play keepy-up wi' them? :D

webmannie
25-Oct-10, 22:43
Ye're no so far behind in the moob stakes. Can ye no' play keepy-up wi' them? :D

hahaha good one :lol:

better get back on track and not hijack

Mine was the blinking flies swarming round the meat in the open market in Ceuta, Morocco. Stifling heat and maggots, yeugh. especially when i was 11! (ish)

shazzap
25-Oct-10, 22:45
hahaha good one :lol:

better get back on track and not hijack

Mine was the blinking flies swarming round the meat in the open market in Ceuta, Morocco. Stifling heat and maggots, yeugh. especially when i was 11! (ish)

I don't mind a hijack or 2, here and there. It all adds to the fun.:)

scorrie
25-Oct-10, 22:45
She could have played keepy-uppy with them.

I suspect she would have welcomed anything that could keep them up!!

ducati
25-Oct-10, 23:15
I've been to forn lands, full of forners, I don't go anymore [para]

Ricco
26-Oct-10, 08:12
The public toilets in Cyprus - no lights, no windows, no flush and overflowing onto the floor. Full of you know what and flies - disgusting!!

Cyprus - best to be avoided, in my view.

Cellnet
26-Oct-10, 09:53
In Athens, arriving back to my rental car and finding what I thought was an advertising leaflet :eek: under the windscreen wiper - only to be told by the hotel staff, it was a parking ticket [evil]

Invisible
26-Oct-10, 13:31
The heat, the stale bread, the unclean toilets, the full frontal male nudity (ah the scars!), the high prices of sweets.

Rheghead
26-Oct-10, 13:34
The lack of people who could speak English was most disconcerting for me.

Phill
26-Oct-10, 14:14
The lack of people who could speak English was most disconcerting for me.

Typical Brit abroad, couldn't even be bothered to try and learn the lingo hey.
Did you resort to talking loudly and slowly whilst pointing at things wildly like I do?

Bazeye
26-Oct-10, 23:36
Never been abroad for a holiday, never felt the need. Thurso's as abroad as I want to go.

Bazeye
26-Oct-10, 23:38
The public toilets in Cyprus - no lights, no windows, no flush and overflowing onto the floor. Full of you know what and flies - disgusting!!

Cyprus - best to be avoided, in my view.

Sounds like Wetherspoons or the Last Orders

David Banks
27-Oct-10, 01:55
My first trip abroad was to B.C. and Alberta in the summer of 1974.
Shock no. 1 was the size of the place - hours on a bus = only an inch or two on a provincial map.
Shock no. 2 was getting out of the (air-conditioned) bus in Kamloops and it was so hot the road/tar was melting.
In less than a year, I'd emigrated to Alberta.

Metalattakk
27-Oct-10, 02:49
Typical Brit abroad, couldn't even be bothered to try and learn the lingo hey.
Did you resort to talking loudly and slowly whilst pointing at things wildly like I do?

:D Reminds me again of that bar I took refuge in earlier.

They had a lunch menu, just burgers and sandwiches the like. I'm sitting at the bar, trying to avoid any glimpses of droopy-chested German tourists when this English woman walks in with a 9 or 10yo kid.

They look at the menu and choose the 'burgueros'. She attracts the attention of the barman, and points at the 'burgueros' and says slowly "Burger, yes?"

"Si" says the barman.

"Wiv' cheese" she adds.

"Que?"

"Wiv' cheese."

"Que?"

"A burger wiv' cheese!"

"Que? No intendiente!"

"WIV' CHEESE!!!"

"Que?" He looks at me for help.

"WIV' CHEEEESE!!!"

"Que?"

I call him over and simply say "Con queso".

"Ahh, con queso!"

She gets her cheeseburger, and 10 minutes later the barman comes over with a complimentary bottle of ice-cold Cruzcampo and says to me, in plain English, "It's good to see that some people make the effort. ;)"

Mind you, I made the mistake of asking the barmaid "Cuanto?" after ordering a beer.

She replied with something that sounded (to me, anyway) like this:

"QuattroCinquecentoMillonarios-eth-eth-eth-eth-eth-Scorchio!"

Took one look at my face and said "Well, you asked!" :D

Ricco
27-Oct-10, 08:14
I usually try to pick up some phrases wherever I go. It makes such a difference when you show you have made an effort. Not being a linguist does make it hard but even common greetings and simple phrases to ask for things is relatively easy.

I would heartily recommend the Azores as a holiday destination to anyone. You get the sun but it is coolish, the scenery is amazing, there is lots to do, their English is impeccible and prices are relatively low. Loved every minute. :)