PDA

View Full Version : What do we do?

Vistravi
25-Oct-10, 20:32
We are going down to lancashire on saturday for 2 weeks to see the family. The only issue is that my 5 month old son is used to the water here and i know that england reuse their water.
I don't want him to fall ill due to the water so what do we do?
Double boil it or use bottled and then boil it for the 2 weeks?

Dadie
25-Oct-10, 20:45
Just boil it once and cool.
Same as at home.
If paranoid use bottled but not mineral water as its sodium levels can be too high and it will need to be boiled as well.
Its not as if you are going abroad where the water is not as safe.
Take a steriliser with you for the bottles!
Travel cot and bedding.
Calpol and nappy rash cream.
Nappies..for a couple of days anyway..
Everything can be bought down there!
Oh and you wont need all the clothes you are packing for him if visiting family as you will have a washing machine!
6 outfits 4 jammies 2 coats 10 bibs max!

shazzap
25-Oct-10, 20:45
Your not going to a third world country.:roll:
Just use boiled water as usual.:)

Scarybiscuits03
25-Oct-10, 20:52
We are going down to lancashire on saturday for 2 weeks to see the family. The only issue is that my 5 month old son is used to the water here and i know that england reuse their water.
I don't want him to fall ill due to the water so what do we do?
Double boil it or use bottled and then boil it for the 2 weeks?

Why would he fall ill??
I took my daughter to Cheshire when she was 5 weeks old and we didn't have a prob with the water being any different?....It won't cause any probs, especially seeing as you are boiling it. Your alternative is to buy the ready made baby milk in cartons - that's what I always did when travelling and took disposable btls!!

spaceddaisy
25-Oct-10, 20:57
What do you mean by "they reuse their water"?

We all reuse water, it's a finite resource and cycles...

Vistravi
25-Oct-10, 21:12
Perhaps i have listened to my mum when i shouldn't have. She always has a upset stomach for a few days when she goes down to see her husbands family in england.

She's made me feel a bit parnoaid about it as you can all tell! lol

Vistravi
25-Oct-10, 21:14
Just boil it once and cool.
Same as at home.
If paranoid use bottled but not mineral water as its sodium levels can be too high and it will need to be boiled as well.
Its not as if you are going abroad where the water is not as safe.
Take a steriliser with you for the bottles!
Travel cot and bedding.
Calpol and nappy rash cream.
Nappies..for a couple of days anyway..
Everything can be bought down there!
Oh and you wont need all the clothes you are packing for him if visiting family as you will have a washing machine!
6 outfits 4 jammies 2 coats 10 bibs max!

Cheers ;) I'm being over paranoid. Will just be doing the same as usual now.

Hmm better go and take out that extra clothes lol.

George Brims
25-Oct-10, 21:14
Certain parts of England do water re-use, particularly the Thames valley. Treated water is put back into the river, and further downstream it is drawn out of wells in the area surrounding the river. So not only is the water purified before going back in the river, it;s been filtered through gravel, sand etc in the ground before abstraction and treatment. As you pass downstream the whole process repeats. Supposedly a single water molecule in London may have passed through as many as thirteen people! But as I say, it's been through all these stages of treatment, so as far as disease is concerned, it is safe. It's horribly hard though! I don't know if that cycle is repeated elsewhere in England.

They finally started water re-use along those lines here in California. A big plant in Orange County pumps treated water back into the ground. The same water will come back out in several years time when it has reached the extraction wells.

Tubthumper
25-Oct-10, 21:17
The water in Reading was foul when I was there a few years ago. Not dangerous, just 'orrible! But as someone pointed out, anything that's been through that many kidneys has just GOT to be clean!

George Brims
25-Oct-10, 21:21
Water anywhere in the S of Engerland tends to be awful, though the worst I've experienced was in Mallorca. Not only does it come off limestone mountains, which makes it mega-hard, but they put huge amounts of chlorine in it because they dread any kind of disease outbreak ruining their tourist-based economy. It was like swimming pool water. I gave up and stuck to wine.

bekisman
25-Oct-10, 21:29
Well I'm in Leyland, Lancashire right now, and must admit that after drawing a glass of water to drink, it has a distinct smell of chlorine, but I'm an old git so really no problem for me...

Dadie
25-Oct-10, 21:53
We go down to Blackpool regulary to visit people.
Can get all 3 kids stuff in a holdall....and ours in another!
2 of the kids are in nappies...1 just has to have an outfit on for 2 mins and she looks filthy....
I always overpack a bit, but, I now limit it to 6 outfits each for the kids...could probably get away with 4 outfits...for a 2 week stay...as I like to shop when im down there anyway:lol:
At 5 months old its a breeze going away with them...they dont need much and are not mobile...and will probably sleep most of the way in the car.
Now try travelling with a 4yo a 2yo and a 10mth old...the 4yo and 2 yo fight...need to stop for a pee with the 4 yo at the worst possible times. ..food/juice/dvds all needed...the 10 mth old is easiest pleased!

Vistravi
25-Oct-10, 22:05
Well I'm in Leyland, Lancashire right now, and must admit that after drawing a glass of water to drink, it has a distinct smell of chlorine, but I'm an old git so really no problem for me...

Is it ok after boiling?

porshiepoo
25-Oct-10, 22:11
Perhaps i have listened to my mum when i shouldn't have. She always has a upset stomach for a few days when she goes down to see her husbands family in england.

She's made me feel a bit parnoaid about it as you can all tell! lol

Hmmmmm maybe the stomach upset has more to do with visiting Inlaws than the water. ;)

Seriously, it's not a third world country down there. If you're really unsure then just drink bottled but I suspect that the sheer paranoia you've developed is going to lead to some kind of upset regardless of the water quality. lol.

Vistravi
25-Oct-10, 22:24
Hmmmmm maybe the stomach upset has more to do with visiting Inlaws than the water. ;)

Seriously, it's not a third world country down there. If you're really unsure then just drink bottled but I suspect that the sheer paranoia you've developed is going to lead to some kind of upset regardless of the water quality. lol.

Aye i know.
Right thats it i'm just going to stop listening to my mother on this matter and just boil it as usual. :roll:

Scarybiscuits03
25-Oct-10, 22:30
Aye i know.
Right thats it i'm just going to stop listening to my mother on this matter and just boil it as usual. :roll:

You Go Girl! [lol] Anyways you need to expose kids to a little of whats not good for them......or else they will get ill!!

Have a great trip!

squidge
25-Oct-10, 22:46
I'm from Lancashire and whilst the water up here is nicer the water in Lancashire is still nice. You have no reason to be fearful of the water at all. Just use it as you normally would.

Bazeye
26-Oct-10, 23:34
Should be ok with the water here. Just watch out for the knife crime, muggers and rapists though.

_Ju_
27-Oct-10, 06:55
There is no "new" "unused" water.
If you are worried about the chlorine in the water, it evaporates when you boil it.
Usually belly upsets when you travel are due to sudden changes in the diet. Perhaps your mum changes her diet when she visits her family or the family members have diferent cooking habits.

Ricco
27-Oct-10, 08:07
Certain parts of England do water re-use, particularly the Thames valley. Treated water is put back into the river, and further downstream it is drawn out of wells in the area surrounding the river. So not only is the water purified before going back in the river, it;s been filtered through gravel, sand etc in the ground before abstraction and treatment. As you pass downstream the whole process repeats. Supposedly a single water molecule in London may have passed through as many as thirteen people! But as I say, it's been through all these stages of treatment, so as far as disease is concerned, it is safe. It's horribly hard though! I don't know if that cycle is repeated elsewhere in England.

They finally started water re-use along those lines here in California. A big plant in Orange County pumps treated water back into the ground. The same water will come back out in several years time when it has reached the extraction wells.

I am currently living in the Thames Valley. Apart from the water being hard in this region I have never noticed anything different about it. We are rarely ill - maybe once a year with a cold picked up from someone else. I would say that in the London region there may be more recycling involved because you can actually taste the chemicals added to the water in some regions.

bekisman
27-Oct-10, 08:41
Is it ok after boiling?
Don't really know as kill it with coffee, kids here are 7+ and grew up with it, but have no problems drinking direct.. but then us two old foks are used to Sutherland water, so really really spoiled!

fairy56
13-Nov-10, 00:17

porshiepoo the stomach upset when i go anywhere not just visting family is till do with my ibs,it takes two days to sort out,most is my fault as i drink tap water and not boiled,too which i have learned,

northener
13-Nov-10, 08:37
There's nearly 1.5 million people living in Lancashire, if there was a problem with the water then I'm sure they'd have noticed by now.....:Razz

Seriously though, your relatives stomach upsets probably have more to do with change of routine than the water. Bear in mind that the majority of water for the North of England comes from the Pennines and the Lake District, not areas noted for their high pollutant levels.

But the waters better in Yorkshire.;)

Bazeye
13-Nov-10, 11:58
Just get it drunk you wuss.:roll:

Phill
13-Nov-10, 12:36
There's nearly 1.5 million people living in Lancashire, if there was a problem with the water then I'm sure they'd have noticed by now.....

You've not bin recently then? :eek::eek::eek: