PDA

View Full Version : Butchers in Wick

bosco
01-Aug-06, 12:01
What is the best butcher to buy good sausages, bacon, haggis for my sun breakfast, as i am coming up on holiday, also venison to take home wi me :Razz

Kaishowing
01-Aug-06, 12:05
Always got top quality meat from Harrold Bros in the town center.
(award winning sausages too!):cool:

hails4
01-Aug-06, 12:18
amen to that!

lelebo
01-Aug-06, 14:34
me too - best butchers hands down!!

connieb19
01-Aug-06, 15:06
Is that Harrolds in Wick or Thurso?

Kaishowing
01-Aug-06, 15:10
Is that Harrolds in Wick or Thurso?

I was talking about the one in Wick.
Used them for almost 20 years, and don't have a bad word to say about them.

wicker
01-Aug-06, 16:42
i use george in sinclair terrace i think its called, across from smiths chemist chirpy guy and mmm to the food and prices

Foxy
01-Aug-06, 16:58
Harrolds the butchers in Wick is by far the best, try there pork and cheese burgers there lovely.

Whitewater
01-Aug-06, 19:22
both Harolds & George Harper are excellent.

Woolie
01-Aug-06, 20:11
Have to agree harolds buthers is the best in wick always buy from them.

bagpuss
01-Aug-06, 22:23
Sad sign of the times- there used to be loads of butchers in Wick- now there are only 2- Harrolds in the centre and George Harper in McArthur St. As for more exotic stuff- the butcher who did sell game closed down last year. I buy my sausages from the Co-op and lamb from Somerfield (my nice butcher from Sinclair terrace now works there)

Take my advice- stop at Tesco in inverness on your way north- you'll get the lot there.

Naefearjustbeer
02-Aug-06, 00:52
I know they are in Thurso but try bews. I am sure they have venison and other game. I have never actually bought venison. The stuff I have had has always been gifted to me.

krieve
02-Aug-06, 11:35
Harrolds, chicken pies yum yum!! Harrolds are the best in wick

Murchiemannie
02-Aug-06, 20:03
Quite sad there are only two butchers left in Wick now.
Sign of the times I suppose and the large Supermarkets taking over.
Does anyone remember Donnie Angus's black and White Puddings? Now they were something to write home about!
His shop was at the Harbour, Mmmmm

crystal
02-Aug-06, 20:05
Always got top quality meat from Harrold Bros in the town center.
(award winning sausages too!):cool: i agree thats the best place for your meat i highly recomend it

bagpuss
02-Aug-06, 22:33
One thought for all the Tesco addicts- Wick has only one butchers left (I think it's just Bews and harrolds in Thurso as well.) These are family businesses. George is at retirement age- and I don't think there's anyone likely to take over from him, so Wick could soon be down to one butcher plus supermarkets.

If you want to keep these butchers, the locals will need to use them. And anyone passing through Brora, Golspie and Helmsdale should remember there used to be local amenities in these places- but most of the population are retired and get on the free bus to Inverness twice a week to do their shopping- in Tesco

Naefearjustbeer
02-Aug-06, 23:07
Thurso has 3 butchers,Bews Mackays and Harrolds. As much as I will welcome tesco and hopefully asda I will still be getting all my butcher meat from Bews. The coop and somerfields are not a patch on the local butchers. But a tin of beans is a tin of beans and I will be getting mine and all the other such like stuff from the place that gives me the best deal. I will continue to visit bews butcher shop and the fish shop at the harbour as I have always done. They will not lose out. In fact they may gain from me because if our weekly shops starts costing less because we visit tescos and asdas I will have more money to treat myself to a nice juicy fillet steak or a nice big slab of halibut or some scallops more often. Hmm getting hungry just thinking about it. :lol:

Tristan
03-Aug-06, 07:49
One thing that is great about living up here is the quality of local fresh produce. Caithness beef is a top product and I think you will do well from any of the butchers.
A few years ago when I checked butchers prices to the supermarkets the butchers were VERY competitive (sometimes even cheaper) and the beef is well hung with no added water which makes it even better value for money.

webmannie
03-Aug-06, 08:37
Harrolds of Wick for us, hersel always gets a selection of meat when she's over (at least once a week) on the dark side of the county.

Carlo Gambino
03-Aug-06, 18:58
Harolds in Wick is an excellent butchers shop

bosco
16-Aug-06, 13:23
Thats me back fae my wee tour o caithness,And i must admit that Bews the butchers in thurso is the best butcher around for beef and service as i tried harolds in wick and i wouldnt go back as his haggis, sausages are rubbish and for his mince pies at £1-10 is a disgrace, Bews in thurso far better:Razz

bagpuss
16-Aug-06, 22:11
By the by, I for one cannot wait for Tesco to open- with one condition- that they offer the same counter service for fish they do in the Inverness store- this is excellent- they even took the skin off a large trout fillet and cut it into portions. The butcher is of similar quality there.
Glad you were impressed by Bews, Bosco- but it's a bad day for Wick if the local produce- and it is local failed to meet your high standards.

Naefearjustbeer
16-Aug-06, 23:33
Large fat cage farmed artificially colored trout fillet. Sounds really appetising NOT! As for taking the skin off. The fish shop at thurso harbour will do that for you too and the fish is as fresh as fresh can be. We alway get a wee bit of fish for the bairns aged 4 and 9 months and they fish monger always skins and debones the fish for them and doesnt mind cutting a little kid sized bits to sell us. I know quickly fish can go off so unless tescos are planning to get locally sourced fish straight from the sea. I wont be buying any. Same goes for the meat. The quality doesnt come anywhere near. Try it get a steak from any supermarket and on from the butcher. Its like night and day the difference.

_Ju_
17-Aug-06, 09:02
)

Take my advice- stop at Tesco in inverness on your way north- you'll get the lot there.

Don't you find the sickly pink flesh, bad cuts, shrinking steaks and unhung meat a put off in supermarkets? Sure, they may be cheaper, but what supermarkets compromise is the quality....... :( Nothing like a butcher who knows what he is doing and that makes sure carcases are well hung and matured.

dragonfly
17-Aug-06, 10:06
Don't you find the sickly pink flesh, bad cuts, shrinking steaks and unhung meat a put off in supermarkets? Sure, they may be cheaper, but what supermarkets compromise is the quality....... :( Nothing like a butcher who knows what he is doing and that makes sure carcases are well hung and matured.

its the old saying "quality will out" I don't buy my meat out of the supermarket as it has no taste and the mince is like gristle more often than not - can't beat Bews for service and quality.

going off subject slightly, Gordon Ramsey's F Word was championing the local butcher last night and saying that there is starting to be a shortage of butchers as youngsters aren't going into the trade. The average age of butchers is 57! case of use them or lose them

bagpuss
17-Aug-06, 22:17
Sign of the times, I fear. The Wick fish shop is closed on Saturday and has a very limited selection- I don't like herring or haddock. By the time I get home from work, I have to sue the supermarkets- and I can't wait for the 24 hour Tesco-and Asda. How many butchers or fishmongers do home delivery or internt ordering?

connieb19
17-Aug-06, 22:22
The Blackstairs Fish Shop is open on a Saturday morning.

_Ju_
18-Aug-06, 08:12
Sign of the times, I fear. The Wick fish shop is closed on Saturday and has a very limited selection- I don't like herring or haddock. By the time I get home from work, I have to sue the supermarkets- and I can't wait for the 24 hour Tesco-and Asda. How many butchers or fishmongers do home delivery or internt ordering?

Practically all of my meals are fish based (what can I say: I prefer it to meat), but I have been in the Wick fish shop less than half a dozen times and now only when I have to. It might be some fault of mine, but I think the proprietor cannot stand me. I feel like I have to apologize for daring to enter the door everytime I go there.....

The back stairs fish shop is very nice though.

jaykay
18-Aug-06, 08:33
I buy all my meat from the local butchers and would not even consider buying any type of meat out of supermarkets. The meat sold in the local butcher shops is all produced in Scotland and is therefore a top quality product. The supermarkets on the other hand sell meat imported from all sorts of dodgy countries. Support your local butchers and farmers!!

bagpuss
19-Aug-06, 23:21
Try telling that to all those avid supporters of the new supermarkets!

My favourite butcher closed down- but his staff work in Somerfield in Wick's butcher department. I get my meat there- or the Wick Co-op. I don't have time to get into town.