PDA

View Full Version : Whats happin with Wick Heat &Power

dozy
01-Aug-06, 09:06
Is there any news on the Heat & Power thing in Wick,is it up and running or what ?????

Rheghead
01-Aug-06, 11:30
I was speaking to a Ranger on the Flow country and he said that the Wick heat and power were approached by the RSPB to get them to clear the forests out off the flows but they weren't interested!! If they are unwilling to get local wood then what is the point to it? Any imported wood will come at a premium surely?:confused

scorrie
01-Aug-06, 21:10
It seems they are desperate to get people to sign up for the scheme because we got a letter about it that came recorded delivery and, as far as I know, so did all the neighbours. At £1 a pop that must be a bit of an expensive exercise.

I noticed a mountain of logs down by Wick Harbour today. I thought I read somewhere that they were committed to using 20% local wood.

dozy
01-Aug-06, 21:51
Its good to see some movement .Problem is the size of the scheme planned ,it would need 5 artic loads a day .. That a lot of trucks and a lot of wood ... Is it true that the Heat and Power plant is to have a oil fired backup boiler ?????

dozy
02-Aug-06, 13:56
Its Great to see the Heat and Power Project in Wick in the local paper .The only problem i have with it is / if the so-called community project is FOR the Benefit of the locals or is it a way that a Private Company gets cheap energy at the TAX payers expense .Surely if it was for local benefit ,the houses would have been connected FIRST and for FREE ...Its getting to the stage that anything envolving the Council Or Councillers, LOOKS to be tainted ....Maybe a small group should come together to investigated and keep an eye on the whole SO called "Community Benefit Schemes" in Caithness ,be it Energy ,Environment and Planning .I know some people will say thats why we have Councillers . Councillers are politicians wrapped in an local vail, as Communities come under MORE and MORE pressure from so called locals/developers who are only out to fill their pockets at any cost .These Carpet Baggers have now got to the stage thats its OK to pass off BRIBES as a Community Share of the profits generated..(in exchange for planning).. NO its a BRIBE plain and simple ,IF ANY MONEY OR REWARD changes hands its a BRIBE ....SORRY ...Caithness is close to my heart...

peedie man
02-Aug-06, 18:38
that mountain of logs is being shipped to finland

scorrie
02-Aug-06, 21:56
that mountain of logs is being shipped to finland

The boat must hev taken a wrong turn then. Whar's wer wood? Are we waitin til stock up on chiep Tesco firelichters?

peedie man
02-Aug-06, 22:07
there is a lot more to be shipped out,7 or 8 shiploads.it is coming from durran forest,it is used to make paper

dozy
02-Aug-06, 22:20
Your loss ... is someone elses gain ...Goes to show the Vikings are still at the pillageing...( is pillageing with or without the "e").....

rockchick
04-Aug-06, 17:54
According to the Environment and Rural Development Committee Official Report put out by the Scottish Parliament dated 1 March 2006, Caithness Heat and Power were originally quoted a price of £17 per tonne for wood, I presume local; but this price went up to £45 per tonne and they decided they could get wood cheaper from Estonia (?!) for £32.50 per tonne.

The report doesn't mention the name of the supplier, but if this was RSPB, then shame on them for doubling their price!