PDA

View Full Version : Caithness forever

highland red
24-Oct-10, 20:22
Please be patient with me on this one as I had a retrospective moment last night.

We moved to Caithness over 3 years ago after many years of holidays/ visiting relatives etc.

It would be fair to say that we have had a very bad spate of bad luck for our first two years: but I was talking to an old friend of mine last night (from South Manchester), who was our next door neighbour for many years.

He asked me if I thought we had made a mistake moving to Highland. It was really ironic that he asked me this as we had been previously been talking about how "bad" things were back there.

Only when I had come off the phone did it strike me that the simple things that I had taken for granted in Caithness, such as not worrying every time you leave your house, car, property and all the associated things and all the daily aggrevation whilst you are not IN the place you OWN is simply not in the same league.

I know that sometimes people up here think that the youths behave badly, and I dare say that this maybe right some of the time: but I have to say this is a real minority, and I have to say that most of the time they are ok.

What I'm trying to get at here is that there isn't that "fear" factor in our day to day lives.

The Caithness people are the most welcoming and friendly (by and large), that I've ever come across and I cannot see that changing.

Forgive me if this appears to be a bit of a feeble post, but I know how I feel, but it is hard to put into words.

Thank you people of Caithness. (better late than never). All the best: HR

Dadie
24-Oct-10, 20:48
Bad things happen anywhere.
Its not so bad here for crime as everyone knows everyone else:lol:
Its what you do in a place that makes it home, rather than just somewhere to stay!
At least in Caithness the neighbours speak to you....

David from Stockport
24-Oct-10, 20:55
Highland Red

You are very lucky to have made the move -ive been planning it 25 yrs and still not done it ,I understand all you say I spend at least 1 break a year in Thurso and have been doing since I was about 7 .As someone who probaly lives in the rough area you are from I can assure you you made the right move ,im currently planning my move and this time want to go for it (im trying to start an online business so I can relocate it north and have an income).
I work 7 days a week for little money and dont go out at night as the pubs etc are just full of idiots ,im sure you remember ?

You are very very lucky ,im looking to move to either Thurso or John o groats or anywhere in between . You are in paradise - enjoy it.

David from Stockport
24-Oct-10, 21:24
ps

Whilst am on my computer ive got Sky 3 on (night cops) then its road wars - if you ever get a day when you wonder if you made the right move you just put programmes like that on and you remember why you left south M/cr .

Beat Bug
24-Oct-10, 21:31
We made the move here 4 years ago. Should have done it 30 years ago!

Cinderella's Shoe
24-Oct-10, 21:41
Lovely post. Thank you. Like you after years of holidaying in the Highlands I moved here - over 20 years ago. But things have changed. I now lock the house when I'm not in and also the car when left in town. I never used to, but please believe that Caithness is not crime free.

Tubthumper
24-Oct-10, 21:42
There's some dodgy characters around the County these days. ;)

Alice in Blunderland
24-Oct-10, 21:44
There's some dodgy characters around the County these days. ;)

:D Some home grown and some followed the A9 north. :lol:

David from Stockport
24-Oct-10, 21:48
Read an article somewhere about 5 yrs ago said the council like to offer housing to people from other areas that had been evited from there homes for bad behavour etc so the council might be partly to blame there .

Dadie
24-Oct-10, 21:52
No its not crime free....but there is less crime than in cities!
Less stabbings and druggies out to part you from your belongings...still safe to walk home with a pal from a night out..
Or have a neighbour to look after your house and pets while on holiday..
And you will always meet someone you know when out and about and not go for days without meeting someone you know!

unicorn
24-Oct-10, 22:20
I don't often go down town at the weekend, normally too busy with the animals, but I did yesterday and said to hubby that I was amazed at how many strange faces I was seeing, I saw more faces I didn't recognise than faces I did, maybe it was because more people were in the town due to the new shop opening?

Blarney
24-Oct-10, 22:26
Please be patient with me on this one as I had a retrospective moment last night.

We moved to Caithness over 3 years ago after many years of holidays/ visiting relatives etc.

It would be fair to say that we have had a very bad spate of bad luck for our first two years: but I was talking to an old friend of mine last night (from South Manchester), who was our next door neighbour for many years.

He asked me if I thought we had made a mistake moving to Highland. It was really ironic that he asked me this as we had been previously been talking about how "bad" things were back there.

Only when I had come off the phone did it strike me that the simple things that I had taken for granted in Caithness, such as not worrying every time you leave your house, car, property and all the associated things and all the daily aggrevation whilst you are not IN the place you OWN is simply not in the same league.

I know that sometimes people up here think that the youths behave badly, and I dare say that this maybe right some of the time: but I have to say this is a real minority, and I have to say that most of the time they are ok.

What I'm trying to get at here is that there isn't that "fear" factor in our day to day lives.

The Caithness people are the most welcoming and friendly (by and large), that I've ever come across and I cannot see that changing.

Forgive me if this appears to be a bit of a feeble post, but I know how I feel, but it is hard to put into words.

Sometimes it takes someone else to remind you of all that's good in your life so thanks Heilan' Red for pointing out how lucky we are not to have to live in Manchester or Liverpool or Nottingham or Glasgow or..............;)

Kenn
24-Oct-10, 23:03
I too made the move north after many years of visting, don't regret it in the slightest am enjoying the tranquility,the friendliness of the local people,the quiet roads and never cease to be amazed at the amount of activities there are to get involved with.
I am loving the feeling of security,can sit with the windows and doors open without having to worry about intruders, being able to go for a walk where the only thing I am likely to get mugged by is a boisterous dog,where complete strangers acknowledge you and are quite happy to engage in conversation.
Happiness is living in Caithness.

welsh-witch
24-Oct-10, 23:13
well i didnt plan were i was going just kinda got in the car n ended up in caithness, i liked it, went back home to sunny wales, and sold up n came back up, n that been me for just over 6 years now,i love it here:Razz

ducati
25-Oct-10, 06:48
My first visit to Caithness was when we came for the weekend and bought a house :eek:

northener
25-Oct-10, 07:35
My first visit to Caithness was when we came for the weekend and bought a house :eek:

That's exactly what we did as well.:Razz

I reckon they put something in the water........

Phill
25-Oct-10, 09:33
Methinks Mancunia is gettin a dissin ere. :eek:
Maybe I should come to the defence of Manchester, it isn't the criminal centre its made out to be.......................actually.........OK, it is then.

Caithness is a wonderful place to live for many, many reasons. And yes there are a few idiots that ruin it but you'll get them anywhere.

The perception of crime is the issue. After I moved up I was talking with the people I worked with who are born & bred up here and they were saying that crime was getting worse etc. etc. maybe they were right, but it is still nothing like darn sarf BUT it still has an impact when it happens to you.

highland red
25-Oct-10, 11:28
Lovely post. Thank you. Like you after years of holidaying in the Highlands I moved here - over 20 years ago. But things have changed. I now lock the house when I'm not in and also the car when left in town. I never used to, but please believe that Caithness is not crime free.

I do understand that Caithness is not crime free as my Daughter in Law and our eldest Son is and was in law enforcement (as was I myself).

Caithness may suffer a little from the drinking culture that blights all areas in the UK, but still rarely manifests itself in the viscious and ruthless way of "down South".

I'm also not "dissin" Manchester as it is a really great city. Before we moved up here we lived in a very nice area and had done for 27 years, but a lot of crime happens in very good areas too. My OH reckons she had seen big (but not better) changes in our area for a few years, and looking back now I can see she was right. But crime in Caithness is just not on the same level, as nor are most of the youngsters.

Just to give an example of the essence of what I'm trying to convey: I have, from time to time come across posts on the org, about people who have lost or found personal items such as mobile phones and camera lenses etc, (not cheap) and the thread has then gone on to conclude with their rightful owners and these things being reunited.

In this day and age that really says something about the area in general and the local people.

Perhaps "fear" in my original post was too strong a word and maybe apprehension would have been more appropriate. Down South, if you go on holiday there is always the worry that you will come home to find your house/car etc has been "done", despite neighbours having a key and looking out for you. It is a real and common occurence!

P.S. You also don't realise until you go back for a couple of days that you can almost permanently hear sirens from emergency vehicles and bloody car alarms going off all the time.

Paul_and_Anna
25-Oct-10, 12:07
We love Caithness, so much so that if push came to shove we'd be carrying Scottish passports!!! The six years we have lived here have been superb. :)

All that from a true Sassanach!!!!!!!

Commore
25-Oct-10, 13:19

You must be on different planet from me then,
quote"What I'm trying to get at here is that there isn't that "fear" factor in our day to day lives." end of quote.

You must be a welcome "incomer",
not many incomers are, in my opinion.

Phill
25-Oct-10, 13:46

Go on, I'll bite, why is this?

Alice in Blunderland
25-Oct-10, 13:50

Go on, I'll bite, why is this?

< sits back and eagerly awaits the reply to this one.> :Razz

Paul_and_Anna
25-Oct-10, 13:50
quote"What I'm trying to get at here is that there isn't that "fear" factor in our day to day lives." end of quote.

"Incomer" ??? Is that Caithness slang for "Sassanach" ?? It all sounds rather jacobite to me.

I have found the people of Caithness to be nothing other than outwardly friendly and hospitable. Indeed, more so than in most areas of the UK that I have visited, and I have travelled most of it. Our neighbours are good people, we really couldn't ask for more.

You sound as if you believe this land belongs to you, Commore, and it does not. You are a tennant, and no more. Don't take it personally, because we are all merely tennants, on a global scale. :)

Of course I'm sure Alex Salmondier (sic) would disagree with me, but the degree of power handed to him by a patronising English government leaves him somewhat impotent. He looks more of an "Incomer" than I do!

Sorry, but the reason this tickled me is because I have never met a Scotsman on my travels and greeted him with; "Hows it going, Outgoer?"

Big smile .......

highland red
25-Oct-10, 16:40

Wow: just as well I wasn't "dissing" Caithness isn't it?;)

Commore
25-Oct-10, 18:01
All right, mostly Caithnessians are nice, considerate and outwardly friendly people,and mostly I am grateful to be priveleged enough to live here,
or at least close enough to Caithness,
but some hostility does exist in certain areas and "fear of the unknown" is not altogether lost.
I didn't lock my doors until fairly recently,
retrospectively speaking, I thought I had left all that behind, not so, it would appear.....................

John Little
25-Oct-10, 18:09
I love Caithness- always have.

But Paul and Anna- the English do not have a government.

Perhaps they should?

Bruce_H
25-Oct-10, 18:28
I personally wish I could find a way to move to Caithness, even if for a short while. The place is truly magical. Incomer or not - everyone has always been wonderfully nice to me. In the end, isn't that something worthy of citation?

Bruce H

bobandag16
25-Oct-10, 18:54

came here oct 1960 still here . label atomic. best place ever .once you get the hang of the dialet. good humour .great wind ups.

Paul_and_Anna
25-Oct-10, 23:16
I love Caithness- always have.

But Paul and Anna- the English do not have a government.

Perhaps they should?

I loved the reply Arthur C. Clarke gave when asked if he ever voted: "No, it only encourages them."

I tend to act upon the same principle. :) Besides, I am aso Anti royalist, and as a child Guy Fawkes was my hero.

Pretty easy to see where I stand, politically.

Corrie 3
26-Oct-10, 09:12
Well my Incoming Friends, if this is the sort of stuff you had to put up with down south then I am not surprised that you made a hasty retreat to Caithness. This is truly shocking and deserves the birch in my opinion.
I hope we never hear of stories like this up here.....
.........C3.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-11620520

unicorn
26-Oct-10, 09:34
How absolutely vile, what is wrong with some people these days, are they wired wrong in the brain?
Someone must have seen it happen, glad it was not me as I don't think I would have controlled my temper witnessing something like that [evil]

highland red
26-Oct-10, 11:01
Well my Incoming Friends, if this is the sort of stuff you had to put up with down south then I am not surprised that you made a hasty retreat to Caithness. This is truly shocking and deserves the birch in my opinion.
.........C3.

I once gave CPR to a dying man who had his daughter and grandchildren with him outside a chemists, only to discover that one of the "helping hands" that were there had robbed him of cash in his hand and his wallet whilst he lay unconscious on the pavement. The man was revived and spoke to his daughter later, but unfortunately succumbed to another massive heart attack a few hours later.

At the Borough cemetery, thieves had stolen all the memorial plates from the crematorium for scrap metal.

And going back a while, I was once called to interview two seventeen year olds (just before going home for Christmas dinner) that had beaten a disabled man in a wheelchair to death with an iron bar and a brick for the grand total of ten cigarettes.

As you can imagine I wasn't really that hungry by the time I got home.

It is sometimes a terrible world in which we live.

Commore
26-Oct-10, 11:13
.........C3.

I am Scottish, not English, I did not make a "hasty retreat to Caithness or anywhere else, I merely relocated",

and this sort of stuff is going on everywhere, regardless of location,

Phill
26-Oct-10, 12:14
There are many despicable acts carried out across the UK. By the fact of population density these will be more often in cities than rural & remote locations.

Within a few days of moving up here a man who lived a few streets away from our previous house was beaten to death by a gang of youths after he tried to stop them throwing stones at his car.
Horrific, mindless and pointless crime but rare.

Being an incomer I have to say I and my family have had no real issues or problems since making Caithness our home. Yes there are a few who do not take to incomers, there may be the odd one who may outrightly hate English but I have yet to meet such in Caithness. (I worked for a Glasgow company for a while and the anti English racism from some Glaswegians fell short of violence, but many were sound guys that had good craic)

Certainly some villages are more welcoming than others, but apparently the lack of 'welcome' is not restricted to incomers but fellow Caithnessians too:confused

If I have to 'complain' about anything it is actually the attitude of a few English up here, probably why incomers may be tarred with the same brush.

As they say 'nowt as queer as folk'!

Corrie 3
26-Oct-10, 12:23
I am Scottish, not English, I did not make a "hasty retreat to Caithness or anywhere else, I merely relocated",

and this sort of stuff is going on everywhere, regardless of location,
I dont recall ever calling you English Conmore ???.....I am sure that the problems were pretty bad in Glasgow but just be grateful that the only major crimes that are heard of in Caithness is someone buying their meat from Tesco instead of home grown producers like yourself....;)
The cities of the UK are all mostly riddled with crime so I am very grateful that I feel safe in my bed at night and so should you be. You should also be grateful to be surrounded by brilliant folk who would rather help than pass by and ignore if you if were in trouble.
I will never moan about Caithness or its citizens, Scottish or English, I find them all fantastic.

C3......:)

neilsermk1
26-Oct-10, 12:42
Red,
i have to say that when my father informed me that we were moving to Thurso from Carlisle I was to say the least disappointed. After all that far North I'd be waving to Eskimo, or is that Innuit these days, and watching icebergs in the bay.
That was 45yrs ago, and I have enjoyed every minute of my time in Caithness. Even after a short foray away in the services to see the wider world, I couldnt wait to get back. I am now living in Thirsa ( see I have even picked up a wee wordie or two) My family have kids of their own now, all Weekers tho' since ee Dunbar shut ee maternity unit. At least the werna born in Inversneckie.
Its no the same as it was 45 years ago but there again its still the best place in the UK to live, and it will continue to be if we work to preserve what is good about the county.

bekisman
26-Oct-10, 14:53
I loved the reply Arthur C. Clarke gave when asked if he ever voted: "No, it only encourages them."

I tend to act upon the same principle. :) Besides, I am aso Anti royalist, and as a child Guy Fawkes was my hero.

Pretty easy to see where I stand, politically.
After being caught;
'Fawkes gave his name as John Johnson and was first interrogated by members of the King's Privy Chamber, where he remained defiant. When asked by one of the lords what he was doing in possession of so much gunpowder, Fawkes answered that his intention was "to blow you Scotch beggars back to your native mountains." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes#cite_note-NorthcoteParkinsonpp9192-41)Well what do you know! ;)

John Little
26-Oct-10, 16:15
It was in my mind too that Fawkes wanted to blow up a Scottish king... and of course he had the example of Kirk o Field to draw on.

And he was catholic too....:eek: So he wanted to blow up Presbyterians.... and lots of Scots have Presbyterian backgrounds...;)

Commore
26-Oct-10, 17:10
I dont recall ever calling you English Conmore ???.....
No, i don't think you did,
I am sure that the problems were pretty bad in Glasgow maybe,but I don't come from Glasgow,
but just be grateful that the only major crimes that are heard of in Caithness is someone buying their meat from Tesco instead of home grown producers like yourself....;) on another planet.........
The cities of the UK are all mostly riddled with crime so I am very grateful that I feel safe in my bed at night and so should you be. aye right!
You should also be grateful to be surrounded by brilliant folk who would rather help than pass by and ignore if you if were in trouble. well yes, mostly i am surrounded ny nrilliant folk etc,
I will never moan about Caithness or its citizens, Scottish or English, I find them all fantastic.

C3......:)

Caithness is lovely as are her people,
but you always get the oddity who thinks of himself as "god", when in fact he is nothing very much.

Ricco
26-Oct-10, 17:29
I notice that whilst many people (myself included) are very appreciative of Caithness and its populace, there are concerns about the rising incidence of crime.

As a child in Canada we never locked our doors - open house to any neighbour. The same was true when we lived in Thurso, except when we went away on holiday. These days, with the greatly reduced appreciation and respect of other people's property, there is no point in placing temptation in the face of the odd immoral individual.

My mother used to complain that she always felt an 'outie' but I think that it depends very much on how you approach Caithnessians. You are a visitor, a 'newbie' on the block - learn their ways instead of trying to bring in your own. This is true of any incoming culture - bad manners to try to impose your own. ;)

John Little
26-Oct-10, 17:36
I agree with that. I always found warm hearts and a welcome - and still get that when I visit. The only persons I have anything against in Caithness were a certain woman and a certain man at the Miller Academy who were more than a wee bit free with the tawse. If my adult self could see that wee manny I'd have a few wooorrddds to say.

Apart from that, there are no better folk anywhere.

My friend Billy lived next door - he went to Canada.....

Xposin
26-Oct-10, 23:19
hmmmm well ive had a gun pointed at me twice, and been slashed in the face, and numerous other incidents.

i lived in Dundee for a year, and never had one incident.

just because most people up here have an easy time of it, doesnt mean its a safe place.

edited to say: i never actually read all the posts and i seem to have kinda gone off topic. just wanted to add that none of the incidents involved locals, it was mainly immigrants that the town seems to be overrun with. but i stand by what i say about it not being as safe as it once was.

Aaldtimer
27-Oct-10, 03:02
hmmmm well ive had a gun pointed at me twice, and been slashed in the face, and numerous other incidents.

Are you saying this happened in Caithness?:confused

ducati
27-Oct-10, 11:27

just because most people up here have an easy time of it, doesnt mean its a safe place.

edited to say: i never actually read all the posts and i seem to have kinda gone off topic. just wanted to add that none of the incidents involved locals, it was mainly immigrants that the town seems to be overrun with. but i stand by what i say about it not being as safe as it once was.

Was it two different people pointing guns at you?

I presume they are both now in prison? Or did an armed response unit arrive and kill them?

Corrie 3
27-Oct-10, 11:32
Was it two different people pointing guns at you?

I presume they are both now in prison? Or did an armed response unit arrive and kill them?
It was probably Taxi Drivers when he refused to pay the fair!!!

C3....:roll::lol:

Corrie 3
27-Oct-10, 11:34
and been slashed in the face,
Down South they call this Watersports !!!!!!.....:roll:

C3............:eek::eek:

Phill
27-Oct-10, 11:58
Down South they call this Watersports !!!!!!

I thought Watersports were........ahhhhh.......public forum, infarction alert.

Commore
27-Oct-10, 12:03

flippant remark to make when "one" does not or cannot believe that this sort of thing is going on,
just because you don't hear about or read about this sort of crime does not mean that it is not happening,
some people are suffering in silence and some people are not.

:) don't mean "you" personally.

Phill
27-Oct-10, 12:11

These are pretty strong acts. I would hope that if it were 'immigrants' ( I assume here non UK nationals) the authorities have either A imprisoned them or (and) B slung them out of the country. (this is depending on their licence / permission of entry)

I have to ask the question, what kind of company do you keep?
Firearms, GBH and numerous other incidents. Sounds extremely unlucky to me.

Commore
27-Oct-10, 13:14
These are pretty strong acts. I would hope that if it were 'immigrants' ( I assume here non UK nationals) the authorities have either A imprisoned them or (and) B slung them out of the country. (this is depending on their licence / permission of entry)

I have to ask the question, what kind of company do you keep?
Firearms, GBH and numerous other incidents. Sounds extremely unlucky to me.

What if it is just a simple case of "one's" face does not fit,
or maybe "one" is cramping the lifestyle of another,

maybe the "other" had other plans before "one" arrived in the area??
There appears to be no particular rhyme or reason for crimes of this type, unreported or otherwise.

Why should the question arise "what kind of company do you keep"?
what does any victim do / not do to become a victim?
:)

Paul_and_Anna
27-Oct-10, 13:29
My hero as a child was Guy Fawkes because he tried to blow up the houses of Parliament ..... NOT because he had a beef with the Scots!!!!

Jeez ..... I'm anti a lot of things, but I am NOT anti anything Scottish!

Well .... perhaps fried Mars Bars ..... Glasgow Accents ..... Kilts ....

Who started this thread anyway? :) :)

Xposin
27-Oct-10, 13:33
not even gonna respond to that corrie dude.

so many questions to answer eh? blimey.

yeah it was the same "people".... different incidents. as for the company i keep, im sure most of you probably know who i am so you'l know im a quiet guy and keep myself to myself. The reason for these incidents i put down to one person who is obviousley mentally unstable.

i cant really go into to much detail as far as the police go, so i'll just say random words. brushed under carpet, grass, raids, snitching, friends in high places.

ducati
27-Oct-10, 13:39

yeah it was the same "people".... different incidents. as for the company i keep, im sure most of you probably know who i am so you'l know im a quiet guy and keep myself to myself. The reason for these incidents i put down to one person who is obviousley mentally unstable.

i cant really go into to much detail as far as the police go, so i'll just say random words. brushed under carpet, grass, raids, snitching, friends in high places.

I take it from this, that the person is still free to roam the streets and still has a gun?

If I was in your position, I'd have left the area pronto and taken action to ensure it could not happen to anyone else.

You would think in the light of recent events the police would take very strong action at the slightest hint of someone being irresponsible with a firearm.

I am amazed and disgusted.

Phill
27-Oct-10, 15:49
Why should the question arise "what kind of company do you keep"?
what does any victim do / not do to become a victim?

Because to me it seems an inordinate amount of serious incidents for anyone, especially in Caithness. I'm talking general, random crimes as I assumed to be the references in the thread. i.e. the general level of crime in Caithness compared to Manchester or whichever other large conurbation.

It is now clear Xposin has been subject to a series of linked incidents with apparently one person responsible, so there is an underlying reason. Not that makes it any better or less serious.

There are people who by the associations they have with others, get embroiled in situations that they would not normally be involved in if left to their own devices.
i.e. when a child gets involved with 'a bad lot'.

I know a guy that was forever getting mugged or his wallet stolen.
Too often to be 'unfortunate', turns out he was hanging around red light areas engaging with prostitutes. This was the underlying reason he was mugged so often, not that there was a particular high crime wave.

Walter Ego
27-Oct-10, 16:07

Which immigrants do you mean? Are we talking about somewhere in Caithness here or outwith the County?

Edit: Ah, I've just read the rest of your posts below that.

You go on about 'immigrants' being responsible for the upsurge in crime and then suddenly it's 'one unstable person' responsible for this mini crimewave against you.

Make your mind up.

Xposin
27-Oct-10, 16:47
Which immigrants do you mean? Are we talking about somewhere in Caithness here or outwith the County?

Edit: Ah, I've just read the rest of your posts below that.

You go on about 'immigrants' being responsible for the upsurge in crime and then suddenly it's 'one unstable person' responsible for this mini crimewave against you.

Make your mind up.

where did i say he acted alone?

in answer to your original question, Wick.

oh and Mr Ego? where exactly do i "go on about 'immigrants' being responsible for the upsurge in crime"?

Commore
27-Oct-10, 17:01

Huh, huh :)

Commore
27-Oct-10, 17:02
I take it from this, that the person is still free to roam the streets and still has a gun?

If I was in your position, I'd have left the area pronto and taken action to ensure it could not happen to anyone else.

You would think in the light of recent events the police would take very strong action at the slightest hint of someone being irresponsible with a firearm.

I am amazed and disgusted.

Flight or fight? has to be the latter...........

ducati
27-Oct-10, 17:07
Flight or fight? has to be the latter...........

I make it a priority to avoid fighting people better armed than I.

I'd still like to know how and why Northern Constabulary took no action (if that is the case). I know if I called the Greater Manchester Police to inform them of someone waving a gun around in public, that person would end the day in prison or dead.

Phill
27-Oct-10, 17:18
I know if I called the Greater Manchester Police to inform them of someone waving a gun around in public, that person would end the day in prison or dead.

Nah, they're not that good.

Commore
27-Oct-10, 17:20
I make it a priority to avoid fighting people better armed than I.
That is as maybe, probably good advice,
I'd still like to know how and why Northern Constabulary took no action (if that is the case). I know if I called the Greater Manchester Police to inform them of someone waving a gun around in public, that person would end the day in prison or dead.

I certainly would not move from the area just to suit someone else.

ducati
27-Oct-10, 17:20
Nah, they're not that good.

I didn't say they would be the only person :eek:

ducati
27-Oct-10, 17:22
I certainly would not move from the area just to suit someone else.

After they threatened you with a gun???

Xposin
27-Oct-10, 17:52
i havent, and never would move away because of someone elses actions. this is my home, my family are here. i dont care how insane, or what weapom u have, i'll stand my ground.

Commore
27-Oct-10, 18:30
After they threatened you with a gun???
No, I would not move, but I'd make damned sure they did, right into jail.

Commore
27-Oct-10, 18:31
i havent, and never would move away because of someone elses actions. this is my home, my family are here. i dont care how insane, or what weapom u have, i'll stand my ground.

Well said!
my feelings exactly.

John Little
27-Oct-10, 18:33
Caithness as I have never imagined it! It sounds like gunfight at the OK corral.

Which areas am I to avoid when I come up there?

gleeber
27-Oct-10, 18:39
I hope the police are paying attention to this thread and at the very least the accusations made here will be investigated. Maybe someones laying it on a bit thick but it's up to the police to determine what action they take if that's the case.

Commore
27-Oct-10, 18:46
I hope the police are paying attention to this thread and at the very least the accusations made here will be investigated. Maybe someones laying it on a bit thick but it's up to the police to determine what action they take if that's the case.

And perhaps they are not, and yes, I hope the police are reading this thread.

teddybear1873
27-Oct-10, 19:13
I have a feeling in my water that this thread will be closed in the near future. Seems to be happening alot on here for some reason.

Xposin
27-Oct-10, 19:39

are you for real?????? im not making accusations, im stating facts which the police already are aware of. this happened like a year ago.

hope they are watching, they can strike u off as "unlikey to mastermind stealing candy from a baby"

Corrie 3
27-Oct-10, 19:55
I get a feeling that someone has been on the "WackBaccy".....I am sure that if someone threatened someone else with a gun and someone had their face slashed it would have been common knowledge by now. As for all these immigrants that overrun Wick.... Errrr!!! Where are they all?

If this is whats happening in Wick then it needs Xposin to everyone!....;)

C3....:eek::roll:

Xposin
27-Oct-10, 20:13
If this is whats happening in Wick then it needs Xposin to everyone!....;)

C3....:eek:

Like it...

as for the rest of your nonsense.............. pfftt :roll:

ducati
27-Oct-10, 20:23
I wonder was it/were they legally held firearms like shotguns or hunting rifles or were they illegal guns such as only a criminal would have?

I’d be very worried if illegal guns were available in Wick

Xposin
27-Oct-10, 20:28
I wonder was it/were they legally held firearms like shotguns or hunting rifles or were they illegal guns such as only a criminal would have?

theres definately no guns available in wick. these guys were just back from london when it happened the first time.

pistol/handgun

ducati
27-Oct-10, 20:36
theres definately no guns available in wick. these guys were just back from london when it happened the first time.

pistol/handgun

Blimey! And the Police did nothing?

We need to start a campaign to investigate this. And to rid Wick of illegal guns.

Corrie 3
27-Oct-10, 20:42
Blimey! And the Police did nothing?

We need to start a campaign to investigate this. And to rid Wick of illegal guns.
This is very serious Ducati, I am just about to order a bullet proof vest off E-Bay....Do you want me to order you one?

C3......:eek::eek:

Xposin
27-Oct-10, 20:42
well the cid guys seemed intrigued when i gave my statement, so im guessing they done a search and found nothing, they wrote to me a few weeks later saying they wouldnt be taking any further action as there were no witnesses to the incident.

the knife in my face incident happened after this, i chose not to report it.

Xposin
27-Oct-10, 20:45
This is very serious Ducati, I am just about to order a bullet proof vest off E-Bay....Do you want me to order you one?

remember, this is one unstable guy. its not like everyones running about with them. and i aint seen this dude about in a few months. however he was in court on monday on assault and botp charges, plead guilty, admonished. not in paper. need i say more?

ducati
27-Oct-10, 20:46

That's very considerate of you C3 but I've already got one. And a set of KevlarTM underwear :eek:

ducati
27-Oct-10, 20:48
remember, this is one unstable guy. its not like everyones running about with them. and i aint seen this dude about in a few months. however he was in court on monday on assault and botp charges, plead guilty, admonished. not in paper. need i say more?

Haud on, we have the court reports on here somewhere, I'll go and check.

Or I thought we did, anyone know where I can find them?

Xposin
27-Oct-10, 20:49
link me to it??????

Xposin
27-Oct-10, 20:59
this is all i could find

http://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/rolls/sheriff/lists/wck/WCK101025.htm

ducati
27-Oct-10, 21:17
this is all i could find

http://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/rolls/sheriff/lists/wck/WCK101025.htm

Never seen that before. It looks like half the population of Wick on one day :eek:

changilass
27-Oct-10, 21:21
Is there a point to this drip feeding of unsubstantiated nonsence?

If the police decided that they couldn't take it any further then you can't be considered a very credible witness.

This is supposed to be a discussion forum, not jackanory, and the thread that you have hyjacked was about how nice Caithness is, not your personal imaginings.

Xposin
27-Oct-10, 21:30

If the police decided that they couldn't take it any further then you can't be considered a very credible witness.

This is supposed to be a discussion forum, not jackanory, and the thread that you have hyjacked was about how nice Caithness is, not your personal imaginings.

jesus, calm down there. see my first post. i apologized for going off topic. not my fault i was bombarded with questions. and if i choose to answer, then thats my right.

oh and if u had actually read my posts properly then u would see that i stated these event would not make me leave caithness.

no need for your silliness or accusations of me lying.

Corrie 3
27-Oct-10, 21:37
Anyways, to get back on topic. I think the people of Caithness are lovely, even the one's who go round pointing guns and slashing faces....at least they dont kill you and bury you under a tonne of concrete like some would do......smashing folk we are!!!

C3.....:roll::lol:

Xposin
27-Oct-10, 21:39
Anyways, to get back on topic. I think the people of Caithness are lovely, even the one's who go round pointing guns and slashing faces....at least they dont kill you and bury you under a tonne of concrete like some would do......smashing folk we are!!!

C3.....:roll::lol:

ahhhhhhhhhhhh now for once i actually agree with one of your posts.

Caithness Forever indeed. :cool:

Walter Ego
27-Oct-10, 22:37
The unsubstantiated witterings of an attention seeking nobody.

Pure waffle. I was going to reply in an intelligent manner...but then I realised that this is probably the most intelligent response one could possibly give to this self-centered tripe.

Look back at his early posts regarding this place......

changilass
27-Oct-10, 22:42
Tut tut Walter, you is gonna get a reply on here plus a pm and rep for that one, and I don't mean from me. :lol:

Corrie 3
28-Oct-10, 09:17
Tut tut Walter, you is gonna get a reply on here plus a pm and rep for that one, and I don't mean from me. :lol:
Yep Changi, I have had a PM warning me off !!....:eek:

If you dont hear from me again you know the Mob have got to me and I will probably be buried under a peat bog somewhere out Forsenard way!!

C3....:cool:

Commore
28-Oct-10, 11:27
Because to me it seems an inordinate amount of serious incidents for anyone, especially in Caithness. I'm talking general, random crimes as I assumed to be the references in the thread. i.e. the general level of crime in Caithness compared to Manchester or whichever other large conurbation.

It is now clear Xposin has been subject to a series of linked incidents with apparently one person responsible, so there is an underlying reason. Not that makes it any better or less serious.

There are people who by the associations they have with others, get embroiled in situations that they would not normally be involved in if left to their own devices.
i.e. when a child gets involved with 'a bad lot'.

I know a guy that was forever getting mugged or his wallet stolen.
Too often to be 'unfortunate', turns out he was hanging around red light areas engaging with prostitutes. This was the underlying reason he was mugged so often, not that there was a particular high crime wave.

I think everyone is aware of that fact, however it does not apply in every case and it is never the fault of the victim.

Commore
28-Oct-10, 11:33

What makes Wick so special?
Why should Wick escape some illegality in the world,
we stopped to ask directions in Wick and were confronted by three young men who it was apparrent were "stoned out of their minds", not drunk, rather drugged.
So if there are drugs in Wick, it stands to reason there is crime of some sort or another.

Commore
28-Oct-10, 11:36

Now there is a member with a mind of their own,
shame the post is poppycock!

Paul_and_Anna
28-Oct-10, 12:03
That's very considerate of you C3 but I've already got one. And a set of KevlarTM underwear :eek:

How very off topic of you, Ducati ..... to start waffling about your riding equipment in a serious thread .................. :)

David from Stockport
28-Oct-10, 23:41
Been a bit about a Wick Gangster in the national press this week -didnt enjoy his time in Portugal! So there are a few bad uns but they dont have the anonimity of a big city ,so plod can keep an eye on them if they can be bothered .

Corrie 3
31-Oct-10, 10:05

Surely this wasnt worthy of a negative red Rep, Xposin.....What a mardy bum you are!!!

C3....:eek: