PDA

View Full Version : firework time again!

Dadie
23-Oct-10, 19:07
Are you all sorted with your beasties before the fireworks start up?
Sedatives bought for those that need chill pills?
Dap diffusers and any homeopathic remedies that need to be started about now?
Or the loud noises cd/dvds?
Poppy dog is ok as long as the tv is on and the curtains drawn.
Bunnies will be covered at night.
But there isnt many fireworks let off near us, must be a nightmare in some parts of the towns!

unicorn
23-Oct-10, 19:47
It really is a rotten time of year for the animals, I turn the radio up in the rabbit shed and cover the outdoor buns. Keep the cats in as much as possible, I also turn the tv volume up to try to cover it in the house.

Dadie
23-Oct-10, 19:51
Just trying to remind those with problems with the fireworks about it before there is a mad rush on at the vets on the day before bonfire night!:eek:

unicorn
23-Oct-10, 19:55
I did notice a lot of info in the vets yesterday and cd's and stuff.

teenybash
23-Oct-10, 20:15
This will be Banjo's first firework experience with me, so it will be interesting to see how he reacts. I have one of my old T shirts at the ready and the first sign of a tremble I will pop it on him and if past experience is anything to go by, it will work like a dream as it has done with, with the fearties.:)

Dadie
23-Oct-10, 20:26
Trouble is in towns its not just bonfire night...it seems to go on for weeks!
Pretty hard to keep all beasties under wraps that long:(
And with the long nights everyone has to be in early...
Anything from about 5pm and walkies is a bit dodgy:(

Liz
23-Oct-10, 23:02
Thankfully my lot are okay as long as they are indoors but I turn the telly up or put music on.
I have a Feliway diffuser plugged in all the time as this really helps my wee cat Suzy who is so timid.

As you said though Dadie, fireworks are set off from Hallow'een onwards so very difficult for pet owners to know when to prepare for this?

I feel really sorry for stray cats who must be terrified.:~(

Dadie
24-Oct-10, 23:42
bangs have started!:(

Liz
25-Oct-10, 11:46
bangs have started!:(

Already?!!!!![evil]

Dadie
27-Oct-10, 19:11
Organised firework display in Thurso on the 6th at 7pm so thats one night to definately keep the beasties in!
But the "back garden displays" are annoying as you never know when they are on!

Liz
28-Oct-10, 19:09
Well I heard some going off tonight when out for a walk![evil]

The new law is a complete waste of time as cannot be policed. A ban, apart from organised displays, is the only way to go I'm afraid.

I know there are those who use fireworks responsibly but the misery caused to animals by the idiots who misuse them warrants this action.

unicorn
28-Oct-10, 19:19
Going off in Thurso too, I was going to take the dogs out but not now.

changilass
28-Oct-10, 20:24
About 10 bangers went off in very quick succession here in Castletown earlier, its no fun having a 60+kg newfie on your knee crying.

Big wuss, after a few cuddles and no more bangs he finally got off and feeling has now returned to my limbs.

Its strange as he has never been bothered by them before, maybe just how close the bangs were together.

unicorn
28-Oct-10, 20:33
I had visions of being dragged along the street by 2 very fast running spooked dogs, Thank god they are not newfies I would be hospitalised [lol]

changilass
28-Oct-10, 20:40
Lol Unicorn.

It was a bit like a scene from Scooby Doo here lol.

GruesomeTwosome
29-Oct-10, 10:32
OH was caught by surprise whilst out walking the mutts last night, big chiel is fine but my wee girl was terrified. He had to drag her at one point then was dragged off his feet the next. I know fireworks are lovely and kids get a great deal of enjoyment but I cant keep my dogs in the house for the next couple of weeks, my dogs need to be walked, bit of a nightmare.

unicorn
02-Nov-10, 22:49
I had them going off over my house tonight, organised dispays I can put up with but over my roof really gets my goat, there is always someone who has to put them off in a very built up area. Last couple of years I have been collecting the sticks in my garden in the morning.

Dadie
03-Nov-10, 00:15
We had a few over sat/sun night with halloween (though why still escapes me) and was worried the cat would go AWOL as he was out and couldnt be tempted in...but he was back in the mornings with a pressie of a mouse dead on the doorstep ...and wanting his breakfast in exchange!
Thank goodness we are out of town where there are more odd back garden displays.....
Otherwise the house would have to be like fort knocks at this time of year!

Dadie
05-Nov-10, 00:37
Not long to go for the big nights...friday the 5th and the 6th (nearest sat to the 5th)
hope everyone is ready:lol:

christina
05-Nov-10, 08:36
Im quite lucky my black lab is not bothered by it so far. Fingers crossed he stays that way. The only thing he is scared of is wee dogs :lol:.

Commore
05-Nov-10, 09:40
Are you all sorted with your beasties before the fireworks start up?
Sedatives bought for those that need chill pills?
Dap diffusers and any homeopathic remedies that need to be started about now?
Or the loud noises cd/dvds?
Poppy dog is ok as long as the tv is on and the curtains drawn.
Bunnies will be covered at night.
But there isnt many fireworks let off near us, must be a nightmare in some parts of the towns!

Our animals have never experienced this sort of thing, however, they are bad enough when lightening strikes,
where my parents live is terrible as the letting off of fireworks goes on forever, the thugs use them for all sorts of frights, be it animals or older people,
my Dad's dog shakes continually sometimes for weeks on end, she won't go out and has to be carried everywhere,

You'd think in this day and age, that something could be done to prevent the sale of these things to just anyone,
Towns (and there are some that do) should be have one display, for all the community rather than lots of little parties everywhere.

Torvaig
05-Nov-10, 10:51
You'd think in this day and age, that something could be done to prevent the sale of these things to just anyone,
Towns (and there are some that do) should be have one display, for all the community rather than lots of little parties everywhere.

Yes, and Thurso is having a firework display at the harbour at 7pm tomorrow night, Saturday 6th, and as the display is self-funding, please dig deep in your pockets to show appreciation for the Round Tablers who have organised this event for our young and not so young ones!

Should be good fun....:lol: