View Full Version : Fossil Recognition?

Rheghead
23-Oct-10, 18:50
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4144/5107388510_077b8cd387_b.jpg

Found in Carboniferous limestone.

Fish fin or a crinoid is my best guess.

golach
23-Oct-10, 21:00
Rheg, there are a few fossils on the Org, but I cant help you there I dont know them all [lol]

crayola
23-Oct-10, 23:19
Golach, I think that particular fossil is gleeber but it may also be gleber2.

gleeber
23-Oct-10, 23:33
I'm sure if you go back far enough you would find we're all connected to Rhegheads fossil although I know a free presbyterian who would pour scorn on the idea. :lol:

golach
23-Oct-10, 23:52

I think that is a tad rude crayola, I made a funny, I did not name names, but you could be the top of my fossil list if you wish.

dafi
24-Oct-10, 00:47
Looking through google images of crinoids i would plump for it being a fish fossil....not that i ken much about it!!

crayola
24-Oct-10, 01:58
I'm sure if you go back far enough you would find we're all connected to Rhegheads fossil although I know a free presbyterian who would pour scorn on the idea. :lol:
Good grief, does that mean we are related? :eek:

Rheghead
24-Oct-10, 02:12
Good grief, does that mean we are related? :eek:

yes cuz we are, but as with most families, it doesn't mean we have to get on.

_Ju_
24-Oct-10, 08:14
I think it looks like a skate wing.

Ricco
24-Oct-10, 09:55
My thought was that it looked like the base of a fish tail merging into the beginning of the tail fin.

ducati
24-Oct-10, 10:06
I think it looks like a skateboard.

High five dude :cool:

scotsboy
24-Oct-10, 10:22
Native American Indian Headdress.........that would sort out Kennewick Man.

Paul_and_Anna
24-Oct-10, 14:34
Interesting ...........

However, I haven't a clue what it is. Some sort of Fish, but not a Skate wing methinks.

Does anyone really know what it is?

Dog-eared
24-Oct-10, 15:08
Looks like the inside of an oyster shell.

scotsboy
24-Oct-10, 17:59
BTW hope you didn't get too close Rheghead..........possibly up to 27ppm Uranium and 11ppm Thorium in Limestone..........and many fossils have elevated radioactive concentrations;)

Rheghead
24-Oct-10, 18:00
BTW hope you didn't get too close Rheghead..........possibly up to 27ppm Uranium and 11ppm Thorium in Limestone..........and many fossils have elevated radioactive concentrations;)

Who said I was anti-radiation? :lol:

Dadie
24-Oct-10, 21:09
Aye a nice rock with a fossil in is a handy thing to have when your instruments have had a drop test:eek:

Looks like a fin to me but could the top have had eroded away and the bottom part still to be uncovered?
If you can crack the rock so more can be seen the more chance of a positive id!

Tubthumper
24-Oct-10, 21:20
It's stoned...

Nacho
25-Oct-10, 00:24
it looks like the splat left behind after you chucked your 99 at a passing hedgehog (remnants of the flake can be seen above the ice cream)

ummm, not sure what happened to the cone though....

ducati
25-Oct-10, 06:45
it looks like the splat left behind after you chucked your 99 at a passing hedgehog (remnants of the flake can be seen above the ice cream)

ummm, not sure what happened to the cone though....

Eroded away over the millennia

Rheghead
25-Oct-10, 14:12
Thanks everyone for your excellent input but I think I've found out what it is, a rugose coral