PDA

View Full Version : Your very own austerity budget

bagpuss
22-Oct-10, 00:12
My own campaign to get the Con Dems out of power? Copy them

Stop spending money on anything apart from food and absolutely essential bills.
Pay off any debts- credit card, car loan etc as fast as possible
Don't support expensive shops or luxury firms. recycle everything that can be recycled- and ensure that lifestyle is straight out of the Waltons!!!!

with a bit of luck I'll be doing my best to create a double dip recession since i'll not be putting much money into the private sector.

care to join me?

Rheghead
22-Oct-10, 00:22
Gladly!! :lol:

Torvaig
22-Oct-10, 08:52
Right there with you; good post!

We are coming up to "that" time of year which seems to start earlier and earlier in order to separate us from our hard earned incomes and our brains!

I won't go on; many have read my previous rants re same. :lol:

shazzap
22-Oct-10, 09:14
If only.

We would be the minority, so sadly it wouldn't work.

Angela
22-Oct-10, 09:17
I'm already on a similar budget, Bagpuss! ;) And as a family we have agreed a very modest limit to all Christmas presents this year....i.e. a tenner!

No doubt it will be all OUR fault when we have a double dip recession, but folk would be crazy to keep on spending on anything unnecessary when times are so uncertain and likely to get worse.

Last night I dragged everything out of my wardrobe, including garments that had come from charity shops in the first place, and tried the whole lot on, in different combinations. At the end of that I was so exhausted and bedraggled I realised that I didn't want to try anything else on for a long, long time, and that I certainly did NOT need new clothes (beyond socks and tights), which was good to know as I can't afford any!

It's no bad thing if people realise there's more to life than the endless and needless acquisition of new things. The problem is when you've already cut out all the extras, if you're still short of cash, you're then left with only essentials such as food and heating to try to cut. :(

Phill
22-Oct-10, 09:24
Interesting ploy, how long should I try and keep my 'private' sector business going then. Having ploughed many thousands 'of my children's inheritance' into it.

A business I'm struggling to borrow money for so I can expand and hopefully create a few jobs, albeit a long long way from the 500,000 that are going.

It is good to see support for the private sector considering they have been tasked by the gubberment to get us out of the shite the previous gubberments have dropped us into.
:confused

achingale
22-Oct-10, 15:36
My own campaign to get the Con Dems out of power? Copy them

Stop spending money on anything apart from food and absolutely essential bills.
Pay off any debts- credit card, car loan etc as fast as possible
Don't support expensive shops or luxury firms. recycle everything that can be recycled- and ensure that lifestyle is straight out of the Waltons!!!!

with a bit of luck I'll be doing my best to create a double dip recession since i'll not be putting much money into the private sector.

care to join me?

Absolutely! Especially in the New Year when the VAT goes up. ;)

Dadie
22-Oct-10, 15:48
Do all that already..only debt we have is the mortgage!
Love the Christmas spend and sales but wont and dont buy anything we dont have the cash for.
But will be spoiling the kids at Christmas as they are all little and santa is a big deal!
Hmmn wonder how that fat man in the red suit gets all the credit?

bagpuss
22-Oct-10, 22:48
My late mother was the sort of person that Mr O cites when he talks about reducing the deficit- she was an amazing lady who managed her household budget - very scant housekeeping, but made wise decisions. When she died, she left me enough money to repay my mortgage. I've resolved to try to be much more like her.

So- to turn this thread around a little- what sort of things can we do that give us the chance to save money and still have a good quality of life?

My mum's great hero was Alvin Hall- the lovely man who got ordinary people to turn round their own family budgets. He used to say that avoiding using plastic- and that includes the switch card, and paying cash for everything forced people to think twice before they spent- that's my start off.

Camra
23-Oct-10, 00:51
Personally, i'm going to question any payment that those involved in illegal drug dealing may claim as a disability for injuries sustained whilst going about their business.

theone
23-Oct-10, 01:59
My late mother was the sort of person that Mr O cites when he talks about reducing the deficit- she was an amazing lady who managed her household budget - very scant housekeeping, but made wise decisions. When she died, she left me enough money to repay my mortgage. I've resolved to try to be much more like her.

So- to turn this thread around a little- what sort of things can we do that give us the chance to save money and still have a good quality of life?

My mum's great hero was Alvin Hall- the lovely man who got ordinary people to turn round their own family budgets. He used to say that avoiding using plastic- and that includes the switch card, and paying cash for everything forced people to think twice before they spent- that's my start off.

And good on her.

But, I'm afraid that people like her are a dying breed and becoming less common.

We are in a society where borrowing is not just acceptable but normal.

I can't say I agree entirely with Alvin's statement. I use my Credit card whenever I can, It provides me with protection that debit cards or cash don't. And that's saved me over £1000 in the last couple of years.

That said, I don't like to live in debt and clear my balance every month.

I think everyone should be setting their austerity budget, not because of the recession, not because of the budget deficit, but because of common sense.

Live within our means and we'll be okay as individuals.

If the government do it too, we'll be okay as a country.

ducati
23-Oct-10, 08:43
I disagree entirely. I've lived all my life on credit. if you have the income to support it you can have a much better lifestyle.

When I was young I had it all. Now I'm older I've paid off all my debts and I can have it all again.

As someone once said, there are no pockets on a shroud. :eek:

Of course, we don't have kids

Phill
23-Oct-10, 10:58
There is a difference between using credit and living beyond your means.
(I accept that some people will think any form of borrowing is living beyond your means.)

When we bought our first house(mortgage:credit), like many we couldn't afford to live where we grew up nor where we really wanted too, we had to buy house that needed a lot of work doing because it was all we could afford.
We used initially a low interest credit card to help fund this before clearing this with a loan. Once the work was finally done we were in a position to re-mortgage as the value had been increased with the work and fortunately by market prices. This in turn repaid the loan.

All the credit / loans were taken with thought and consideration on paying them back including payment protection etc.

For me there is nothing wrong with credit as long a it's used appropriately.