PDA

View Full Version : wasps!!!

katarina
31-Jul-06, 18:02
Anyone else bothered by wasps this weather? They are thicker than midges in my back garden! Have to go sunning myself with a can of fly killer in my hand - and that just makes them angry! I'm going to have to go write another poem!

Billy Boy
31-Jul-06, 18:22
http://www.4to40.com/images/poems/wuzzlethewasp/wuzzle.gif

I'm Wuzzle, the Wasp.
You're sure to know me!

I love to buzz round
When you're having tea.

My suit is so smart-
All striped black and yellow,

And I am, altogether,
A very fine fellow!

janette
31-Jul-06, 18:56
You must have a nest somewhere near you.

Dreadnought
31-Jul-06, 19:03
I think wasps are incorrectly named. I think they should be called B'stards! A bee will buzz along and go about its business and completely ignore you. Not flamin' wasps! They fly along and think, "Hey, I'll go buzz right in his face and around his head and freak him out!" or "I'll fly in his car window and make him crash as I buzz his ear'ole!"

Yup. Wasps, wrongly named! [evil]

And what are wasps for? They don't make honey, they do nothing useful. Their only purpose seems to be to make otherwise sane people suddenly run around fanning their arms wildly at their own heads like their marble bag has suddenly split and they've lost the lot!

Yup. Wasps, pointless. [evil]

pultneytooner
31-Jul-06, 19:09
You must have a nest somewhere near you.
Yeah, I'd say so to, better contact Ee' cooncil.:)

Errogie
31-Jul-06, 21:39
I think wasps may eat midges and other flies and they also chew up bits of wood to turn into the paper like material for their nests or bykes, so they could be of some benefit in the great scheme of things but I'm not convinced.

If you can find their nest, often in a loft, shed, or under the eaves wait until dusk whn they're all tucked in for the night and zap them with a good spray then knock the thing down or they may try to rebuild. You have to be feeling brave to do it I put on long gloves and the midgie hood and have got away unscathed so far!

Ricco
31-Jul-06, 21:44
I've got this lovely glass contraption, with a stopper. You put some sweet water in it and then put the bung in. They fly up through a hole in the base and can't get out again. When its full (drowned) you empty it out and start again. Works a treat!:D

Lolabelle
31-Jul-06, 22:55
I think wasps are short sighted, that is why they fly right up to your face, and have a look. Then they wander off to get up close and personal with something else.
We get a lot of paper wasps around here, they have a horrid, burning sting that hurts for days. Dave (husband) ties a rag to an old long steel curtain rod, douses the rag with petrol and sets it on fire. He then proceeds to bounce all over the yard with wasps attacking him, waving the flaming torch all over the place and eventually kill the nest. I in the meantime am standing at the ready with the hose. To put out trees, fences and the house as the wild flame manouverer does his thing. [lol]

katarina
01-Aug-06, 10:20
We had a nest inside the wall of our house. It's been destroyed and the hole filled with that foam stuff. Also most wasps there killed. However, I think all the extended family (wasp mafia?) have come over to seek revenge! I'm going to try the trap. Maybe there's another nest somewhere -if so I haven't found it.

badger
01-Aug-06, 10:45
I was doing a bit of path clearance in my little wood the other day and wondered where all the buzzing was coming from then saw this little wasps' nest hanging from a tree. It was quite beautiful, a bit smaller than a tennis ball, but had to get rid of it because the children play in there and it was near my neighbour's track. A friend came late at night when they're all asleep, dropped it into a bag then took it away and burnt it. I felt really guilty but couldn't leave them there. Actually wished later I'd at least just sprayed the wasps and kept the nest.

Such clever little things - pity they can't leave us alone. I'd have let them keep that tree if they would agree not to sting us but how to tell them?

Ricco
01-Aug-06, 14:28
Whilst I was on Vancouver Island a couple of years back someone told me that blowing up a paper bag and putting it in a bush will attract the wasps away. Don't know if it works.

Sandra_B
01-Aug-06, 15:12
We were going to eat out in the back garden last week but there were so many wasps we ended up taking the food inside to eat.

sassylass
01-Aug-06, 16:15
The traps work well. In addition to the smelly stuff they give you, I put a little piece of meat inside and PRESTO. My collection of wasp carcasses is huge now.

Rheghead
01-Sep-06, 01:05
I've just cleared a wasp's nest from my loft yesterday, it was absolutely hoaching with the blighters. It was the size of a football. I donned my midgie net and boiler suit and one just got me where the glove showed some flesh. I believ the council can deal with them but I was paying someone by the hour so couldn't wait for them to arrive. Mind you I've never seen someone run so fast when I carried it, wasps and all into the garden.:lol:

connieb19
01-Sep-06, 08:15
I've just cleared a wasp's nest from my loft yesterday, it was absolutely hoaching with the blighters. It was the size of a football. I donned my midgie net and boiler suit and one just got me where the glove showed some flesh. I believ the council can deal with them but I was paying someone by the hour so couldn't wait for them to arrive. Mind you I've never seen someone run so fast when I carried it, wasps and all into the garden.:lol:
What did you do with it once you got it out into the garden?

laguna2
01-Sep-06, 08:27

Yes, the Council will send out someone to deal with wasps. I had to get the guy out last year but had to wait two days before he could come because he was so busy. He certainly got rid of them though. The bill was somewhere in the region of £30-£40 if I remember correctly.

Rheghead
01-Sep-06, 09:07
The bill was somewhere in the region of £30-£40 if I remember correctly.

I didn't know they needed paying, I thought it was free on the council.

Connie, I just put them in a basket and emptied them out at the bottom of the garden.

candyfloss
01-Sep-06, 09:29
I can't seem to open a window but the little pests are in,it's been pretty bad this year [disgust] I'm always running around with a can of spray in my hand [para]

Ricco
01-Sep-06, 10:20

Connie, I just put them in a basket and emptied them out at the bottom of the garden.

If you ever get one and manage to get the grubs out of the nest they make one of the deadliest fishing baits ever!

scorrie
01-Sep-06, 18:24

From the Highland Council website:-

Pest Control

Officers from the Section can offer advice on pests and infestations. Treatment services are provided for the following pests in domestic properties: rats, mice and household insect pests of public health significance, including wasps. A fee is made for any treatment carried out.

percy toboggan
01-Sep-06, 21:20
Wasp poem - Three minutes in the composing.

I buzz about
what for may I ask.
What purpose do I serve?
Exactly what is my primary task
to unsettle and unnerve?

If that's the case then it's not so hard
for one so small to succeed.
Where others fail, to hit the nail
I make the jumpy take heed.

But what they don't realise
it's a matter of fact no need to be up and running.
If they just sit stock still then
I'll tether my quill
And buzz off, along with my sting.

Sorry. I'm full of whimsy tonight

katarina
01-Sep-06, 21:23
get with it - percy - that's the stuff! Well, I accidentally found the ideal wasp trap. I inavertedly left a bottle (narrow kneck) of runny honey on my picnic table, one quater full. Next day it was full of dead wasps. Attracted by the honey - then couldn't get back out!