PDA

View Full Version : buying house in Caithness

daviddd
20-Oct-10, 20:39
Anyone know about the current housing market? Specifically, if a house is advertised at offers above £XXX,000 does one still bid around 10% above this price, or has that margin reduced in the light of the financial crisis? I know every house is different but just inviting debate about this.

LMS
20-Oct-10, 20:50
Have sent you a PM

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
20-Oct-10, 20:59
i think houses are pretty much going at their home report valuation these days....

LMS
20-Oct-10, 21:02
A house is only worth what a buyer will pay for it. Too many sellers still expect to get 10% over their asking price and in the current climate, this is unachievable. Unless the property is outstanding, an asking price is about the limit that a buyer should expect to pay.

Paul_and_Anna
20-Oct-10, 22:22
Interesting question.

In the present market I'd be damned if I'd pay the asking price. If you ignore the hype in the media and study the actual sales and the prices realised from those transactions then it is abundantly clear that prices are still falling. This is a buyers market, not a sellers market. You as the buyer have the advantage, I'd certainly be using it!!! :)

Good luck!

bagpuss
20-Oct-10, 22:25
Look around the Thurso Road/West Banks Avenue area- lots of houses, some of which have been on the market for 3 years without a bite.

On the other hand, the nicest, best done up places with the highest price tag seem to be going first in the county. I've got a friend whose house has been on for 2 years who then gave up and rented it out

achingale
21-Oct-10, 13:04
A house is only worth what a buyer will pay for it. Too many sellers still expect to get 10% over their asking price and in the current climate, this is unachievable. Unless the property is outstanding, an asking price is about the limit that a buyer should expect to pay.

I totally agree with this. In fact it's really a buyers market. If a house is on at say £140,000 and that's its valuation on the report it's possible to shave off a few thousand if the seller wants to move quickly. On the other hand, if it's a house that's sought after, it's possible to go above the HR valuation but currently that's unlikely.

daviddd
21-Oct-10, 16:00
OK thanks for this all. This property I have in mind is in very good condition and the House Survey looks OK. It's about 20 years old.

What's the concensus on whether to get get a structural survey done? I might be tempted to wing it as all looks OK. What's the rough cost of a survey?

LMS
21-Oct-10, 16:39
Wing it! Had a survey done about 4 years ago and it found nothing wrong. Two months later two ceilings came down due to a long-term leaking tank that the surveyor 'missed'. It was a complete waste of time and money.

If you decide to wing just have a good nose around the loft etc and check out the home report. You reckon it looks okay so go for it.

smithp
21-Oct-10, 20:24
All house prices have got further to fall, if we follow Irelands example you can expect 15 - 20% falls. Go in cheap with an offer - you can always go up. The estate agents up here will crack on that 'caithness has its own market' (so does everywhere!) - and 'we are shifting plenty of properties' (I don't think so!): at the end of the day its your money and the anxiety of 'missing out' on a property is'nt around any more.

Phill
21-Oct-10, 20:50
What's the concensus on whether to get get a structural survey done? I might be tempted to wing it as all looks OK. What's the rough cost of a survey?

They're not worth a carrot, if you have found something your serious on take a trusted builder to have a look. Even if this costs you an hour of his time, worth it if your not savvy. Also maybe worth seeing if you can get a roofer to have a quick look also, at 20 years probably not an issue but I'd certainly consider it on older houses, especially victorian places.
(roof repairs can be very costly and often the least able to be done by the average DIYer. Also a leaky roof can cause massive damage internally)

Surveyors will only report on what you & he can see, very rarely will they pull up carpets, rummage through the loft and get under the floor.

Also go with your instinct, have a look around the place but ignore the decor, check out dark corners, cupboards etc. As LMS says, have good look in the loft. Do a bit of prodding and poking.