PDA

View Full Version : Tescos starting at the Old Mart

Phoebus_Apollo
20-Oct-10, 20:34
Just passing by the other morn and noticed that joiners were putting up shuttering around the perimeter of the site is this the start of the Tesco development? or more time wasting shenanigans?

Stargazer
20-Oct-10, 21:44
"Every little helps".:lol:

jaykay
21-Oct-10, 13:03
Just passing by the other morn and noticed that joiners were putting up shuttering around the perimeter of the site is this the start of the Tesco development? or more time wasting shenanigans?

I understand that a hoarding is being erected all around the site to hide what has become an eyesore and also to keep people out. As far as I know there are no plans to start the Tesco supermarket anytime soon if ever. I am pretty sure that if Tesco were going to start construction we would have heard about it in the local press.
Does anyone know if Tesco have even got full planning permission for the building of a supermarket?

bekisman
21-Oct-10, 13:50
I understand that a hoarding is being erected all around the site to hide what has become an eyesore and also to keep people out. As far as I know there are no plans to start the Tesco supermarket anytime soon if ever. I am pretty sure that if Tesco were going to start construction we would have heard about it in the local press.
Does anyone know if Tesco have even got full planning permission for the building of a supermarket?

26 May, 2010 Tesco: "We bought the [auction mart] site with outline planning consent, and have since obtained detailed consent"

bekisman
21-Oct-10, 14:21
I fully agree that Tesco is dragging it's arse over the Auction Mart site, but lets not forget that right now and for the last few years all of us could have been shopping in ASDA in Thurso..

Do folks remember this? a quick (rough) resume..back in 2006 there was an application by ASDA to build on the Pennyland site - across from the Weigh Inn Hotel - it seemed a foregone conclusion, near enough 3,000 folk on this Org voted for it, local council all for it, so it went to a council meeting; and it was voted against! 'greenfield site'? - so was the land at Tesco; Wick.. but it's ok for a hotel to go there it seems..Who Voted Against ASDA Outline Planning Application?
Thurso West - Roger Saxon (http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/yourcouncillors/councillorscontactdetails/caithness/ward2.htm#saxon)
Thurso Central - Donald Mackay (http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/yourcouncillors/councillorscontactdetails/caithness/ward3.htm#dmackay)
Thurso East - Tom Jackson (http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/yourcouncillors/councillorscontactdetails/caithness/ward4.htm#jackson)
Wick Councillor - Graeme Smith (http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/yourcouncillors/councillorscontactdetails/caithness/ward7.htm#gsmith) (also used his casting vote against the application)

As Smith (WICK!) had the casting vote HE swung it against ASDA. So a full Council meeting took place and it was overturned; ASDA was coming.. whoops Scottish Reporter gets involved and it's turned down..

Oh look the Auction Mart's available; ASDA can go there.

Sniff sniff goes Tesco, what's this? so they stick their oar in and buy the blinking place, ASDA slouches off..
Yes I do support Tesco, and yes I'm jacked off, I don't want to keep driving to Wick for shopping and cheaper fuel...

jaykay
21-Oct-10, 16:13
I think you will find yourself driving to Wick for shopping and cheaper fuel for a long time yet!

lesley_mac
21-Oct-10, 17:52
hi you wouldent need to go towick if every one stoped useing the thurso store then they mite get amove on to build the new store

ashaw1
21-Oct-10, 18:20
As far as i'm aware the new Tesco in Thurso is due to open in April 2011! Wick staff have already been told!

bagpuss
21-Oct-10, 22:59
Husband back up in Caithness next week to begin flooring estimates for the new store.

Rheghead
21-Oct-10, 23:36
Yes I do support Tesco, and yes I'm jacked off, I don't want to keep driving to Wick for shopping and cheaper fuel...

The extra cost to go to Wick in preference to the Thurso Tesco in a Volvo V70 would probably be around £4 in fuel, optimally.

Unless there is something specific you can't get in the Thurso Tesco you be pushed to justify the longer run to Wick just to save money on fuel alone as you'd have to buy 80 litres of fuel to break even on the current 5p difference. I doubt if your car has that much fuel storage even so, you'd have to time it well when you have just enough fuel to get to Wick to fill it from empty.

bagpuss
21-Oct-10, 23:39
Have they begun the roundabout for access to the station and the school?

bekisman
22-Oct-10, 06:14
The extra cost to go to Wick in preference to the Thurso Tesco in a Volvo V70 would probably be around £4 in fuel, optimally.
Unless there is something specific you can't get in the Thurso Tesco you be pushed to justify the longer run to Wick just to save money on fuel alone as you'd have to buy 80 litres of fuel to break even on the current 5p difference. I doubt if your car has that much fuel storage even so, you'd have to time it well when you have just enough fuel to get to Wick to fill it from empty.

Nice to see you're perusing my posts Rheghead on what vehicle I drive.. Even you, with your ultra-keen mind, must be able to suss out that if I have a V70, I should be just about able to afford the few pence involved..
Hmm, now let's see; ahh, must be on principle! Yes, that's Right Rheggy, I chose not to line the pockets of these rip-off fuel outlets, 'cos of principle.

Of course the fact that Wick has a much bigger Tesco with loads of aisle room, is certainly conducive to my locomotion, as being crippled it does help having more space. - oh and a much, much wider availability of food stuffs, Clothes, white goods.
Fact is - if you'd checked my other postings, you'd see we also use Wetherspoon - although their new menu of Beef Casserole was rather expensive!

Then onto Homebase for various items. Edinburgh Woollen Mill; Mrs Beks gets some of her gear from there, usually the warmer kind for her sojourns off to 'The Races'.. And often into Pets at Home for various tid-bits for her birds..
So Rheggy, quite nothing to do with costs.
I am pleased to see that Tesco (Thurso) are getting into gear by the various posts above, e.g.; Bagpuss: "Husband back up in Caithness next week to begin flooring estimates for the new store" I am pleased I did my bit - to the extent that a certain councillor mentioned in my post was going to get a solicitor 'onto me'.. I am pleased I kept in contact with Doug Wilson (Corporate Affairs Manager Scotland) as to the [slow] progress of building at the Mart.. I do, as I say like to do my bit.. but then maybe I should just be - like so many: 'Mr Annoyed from Basingstoke'

Incidentally, as presume you don't venture to far flung Tesco's in Wick, the fuel there is now having a 'Spend £50 get 5p off a litre', and additionally seeing it's already your quote: 'current 5p difference' + the present difference of circa 4p in Wick, that's 14p a litre saving.. I do believe my car has a 70 Litre tank - so how much is that Rheggy IF I was going down 'your road'.

Must go, we're off down south to the races. Toodle pip ;)

Phill
22-Oct-10, 09:16
Now, now boys.

Just a small correction, the land at Wick was formerly belonging to the airport so not stictly a 'greenfield' site. However I do believe HIAL intimated that the proceeds from the land sale would go towards runway upgrades and other repairs at Wick, it didn't. The money was snaffled away apparently to help build a hotel at Stornoway or something like that.

Wick has since lost the use of one of its runways.

jaykay
22-Oct-10, 10:06
Have they begun the roundabout for access to the station and the school?

No sign of any work starting on roundabouts yet!

Rheghead
22-Oct-10, 11:56
Nice to see you're perusing my posts Rheghead on what vehicle I drive.. Even you, with your ultra-keen mind, must be able to suss out that if I have a V70, I should be just about able to afford the few pence involved..

No perusing involved sorry, you told me exclusively in a post not so long ago which vehicle you drove. I did notice that you had trawled through a load of my old wind farm posts recently though. You must get a kick out of it. Enjoy.

Incidentally, as presume you don't venture to far flung Tesco's in Wick, the fuel there is now having a 'Spend £50 get 5p off a litre', and additionally seeing it's already your quote: 'current 5p difference' + the present difference of circa 4p in Wick, that's 14p a litre saving.. I do believe my car has a 70 Litre tank - so how much is that Rheggy IF I was going down 'your road'.

Assuming the prices are correct, you would still have to buy at least 30 litres to break even to justify shopping at Tesco Wick over Thurso. Then you have to justify the hour long driving and the wear and tear on the vehicle, perhaps you like driving for driving's sake in your Volvo V70? I dunno that is your choice! You aren't bothered about carbon emissions that is for sure so I'm not going there.

I don't want to keep driving to Wick for shopping and cheaper fuel..

So Rheggy, quite nothing to do with costs.

Just demonstrating that it is a no-brainer that shopping at Tesco Wick for fuel if you live in the west of the county.

bekisman
23-Oct-10, 13:47
No perusing involved sorry, you told me exclusively in a post not so long ago which vehicle you drove. I did notice that you had trawled through a load of my old wind farm posts recently though. You must get a kick out of it. Enjoy.

Assuming the prices are correct, you would still have to buy at least 30 litres to break even to justify shopping at Tesco Wick over Thurso. Then you have to justify the hour long driving and the wear and tear on the vehicle, perhaps you like driving for driving's sake in your Volvo V70? I dunno that is your choice! You aren't bothered about carbon emissions that is for sure so I'm not going there.

Just demonstrating that it is a no-brainer that shopping at Tesco Wick for fuel if you live in the west of the county.

Please wake up Rheggy: "Hmm, now let's see; ahh, must be on principle! Yes, that's Right Rheggy, I chose not to line the pockets of these rip-off fuel outlets, 'cos of principle."
Bit busy right now, been CO2(ing) all the way down to the South.. you want to try it Rheggy, actually I'm not sure you've actually got a car? 2CV? maybe;)

Rheghead
23-Oct-10, 14:12
Please wake up Rheggy: "Hmm, now let's see; ahh, must be on principle! Yes, that's Right Rheggy, I chose not to line the pockets of these rip-off fuel outlets, 'cos of principle."
Bit busy right now, been CO2(ing) all the way down to the South.. you want to try it Rheggy, actually I'm not sure you've actually got a car? 2CV? maybe;)

Yes I have a car, it is actually a big car. I bought it when I was seduced into thinking climate change was a load of rubbish by opponents to the current scientific consensus by their convincing arguments. It is probably this failing on my part that compels me to seek out the truth on climate change and that makes me ashamed of my purchase and so vocal on climate change issues.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
23-Oct-10, 14:56
Yes I have a car, it is actually a big car. I bought it when I was seduced into thinking climate change was a load of rubbish by opponents to the current scientific consensus by their convincing arguments. It is probably this failing on my part that compels me to seek out the truth on climate change and that makes me ashamed of my purchase and so vocal on climate change issues.

so out of interest - are you really and actually ashamed of driving a big caR?

Rheghead
23-Oct-10, 15:20
so out of interest - are you ashamed of driving a big caR?

Well there is a moral issue here by having things that we don't need and are responsible for lots of greenhouse gases which are killing the planet.

It is called greed, vanity etc. And when that greed contributes to the suffering of other people and the world's lifeforms and we choose to ignore or be in denial about it then that shame should be heightened.

Rheghead
23-Oct-10, 15:33
Which brings me back to the subject of the thread, do we need another superstore when we can get all we need from existing stores? Are we just being greedy for having more choice at the ecological cost of more urban development, another capitalist establishment and the hope of a few pence off a litre of petrol?

bekisman
23-Oct-10, 16:13

Good God man - get rid of it, where are your principles!!!

changilass
23-Oct-10, 16:21
Maybe he keeps them in the big boot of his big car lol.

I am sure we would all like to do out bit for the universe as a whole but its a damned site easier to have principles and stick to them when you can afford to, otherwise you just do the best you can for your own family with what you have.

Rheghead
23-Oct-10, 16:22
Good God man - get rid of it, where are your principles!!!

I'm afraid the social and economic system in which we live doesn't easily allow us to live by principles which undermine the system in which we live.

I guess it is no good asking you for a solution to my dilemma as you aren't ready to be broken away from the system, you aspire to maintain it.

scotsboy
23-Oct-10, 16:27
Don't do as I do....do as I say;)

Rheghead
23-Oct-10, 16:32
Don't do as I do....do as I say;)

Indeed, that is why we need central Governmental restrictions on our lives so as not to damage the planet further. Leaving it up to personal choices to make a greener system is just ultimately destined to failure through personal greed.

So my message to Government is 'make us live a simpler life for our future generation's sake!!'

bekisman
23-Oct-10, 16:36
I'm afraid the social and economic system in which we live doesn't easily allow us to live by principles which undermine the system in which we live.

I guess it is no good asking you for a solution to my dilemma as you aren't ready to be broken away from the system, you aspire to maintain it.

Pleased to see you are joining me Rheggy i.e. maintaining it with our BIG cars ;)

theone
23-Oct-10, 16:39
Indeed, that is why we need central Governmental restrictions on our lives so as not to damage the planet further. Leaving it up to personal choices to make a greener system is just ultimately destined to failure through personal greed.

So my message to Government is 'make us live a simpler life for our future generation's sake!!'

That could certainly be an answer to the problem that might be suggested by the climate change scientists.

But it is a failing of democracy that lets the most popular, rather than perhaps the best suited, into power.

bekisman
23-Oct-10, 17:21

"Personal Greed"? what me? I'm 6'2" weigh 18 stone, both my legs are crippled, my Achilles tendon is ruptured - I went 'south' yesterday to attend for an EEG (look it up) for an additional problem in Raigmore.

I have an MRI booked for November. I think it shows the measure of you, my boy who - unlike myself requires a big car., and yet you, continue to own a large vehicle and belittle those of us who through, no fault of our own; require a 'big car' - shame on you sir!

Rheghead
23-Oct-10, 17:46
"Personal Greed"? what me? I'm 6'2" weigh 18 stone, both my legs are crippled, my Achilles tendon is ruptured - I went 'south' yesterday to attend for an EEG (look it up) for an additional problem in Raigmore.

I have an MRI booked for November. I think it shows the measure of you, my boy who - unlike myself requires a big car., and yet you, continue to own a large vehicle and belittle those of us who through, no fault of our own; require a 'big car' - shame on you sir!

guilty concience?

bekisman
23-Oct-10, 17:56
guilty concience?

At last, Rheggy has admitted he has a guilty concience - I should think so too.
Fancy having a large car for no real reason..

Worked out why you don't go to Wick shopping; You won't use your car (to save the planet) and your shopping keeps falling out of the panniers! ;)

Rheghead
23-Oct-10, 17:59
I was more thinking you should have a guilty concience for hiding behind your disability to justify being against cutting carbon emissions. We've all got our medical problems to bear...

Yes I do my shopping on my bike, I use the child's trailer.

bekisman
23-Oct-10, 18:35
I was more thinking you should have a guilty concience for hiding behind your disability to justify being against cutting carbon emissions. We've all got our medical problems to bear...

Yes I do my shopping on my bike, I use the child's trailer.

"hiding behind your disability"? could say you are a sad git Rheggy, but nah, put you down as one of these nutters, who's got some fixation on a particular 'flavour of the month'.. till the interest fades
Have you, with your upteen thousand of postings, ever wondered about the amount of power you are using; 80 w for a monitor for example, shoving CO2 into the air - think of your children for heaven's sake!

Fair enough you regulary flounce off in deep dudgen after a minor spat, so presume you think that your absence from this forum, negates your CO2 use?

Pleased to see you use your childs trailer, as they say "every litle helps".. that reminds me; I'm away, how's the BIG tesco coming on? ;)

Rheghead
23-Oct-10, 18:42
Have you, with your upteen thousand of postings, ever wondered about the amount of power you are using; 80 w for a monitor for example, shoving CO2 into the air - think of your children for heaven's sake!

When you make a coherent utterance on the subject of climate change and carbon emissions then I'll take heed on your advice. In the meantime I'll continue to speak up for renewable energy and other green issues until you can go about your business and it doesn't do any harm to the environment.

bekisman
23-Oct-10, 18:46
When you make a coherent utterance on the subject of climate change and carbon emissions then I'll take heed on your advice. In the meantime I'll continue to speak up for renewable energy and other green issues until you can go about your business and it doesn't do any harm to the environment.

Sorry Rheggy still not had your reply about the amount of hot air (sorry CO2) you are shoving out.. Now calm down and get back on Thread ;)

cra85
23-Oct-10, 23:21
u's two are sad. get a life both o ya.

bekisman
24-Oct-10, 10:12
u's two are sad. get a life both o ya.

Really? you don't take this seriously do you? What sort of 'life' do you want me to get (or Rheggy for that matter) c u Beks xxxxxx

Rheghead
24-Oct-10, 12:10
Sorry Rheggy still not had your reply about the amount of hot air (sorry CO2) you are shoving out.. Now calm down and get back on Thread ;)

Well if my support for renewable energy just tips the balance for approval of just one Causeymire size wind turbine then that turbine will produce enough energy in one year to run my computer for 8000 years.

Yes one person can make a difference...

WICKER10
24-Oct-10, 12:21
Is it Not about time this Thread got back on track it was about Tesco

Rheghead
24-Oct-10, 12:27
Is it Not about time this Thread got back on track it was about Tesco

Ha ha, great contribution, so what is your opinion on the Tesco site?

brandy
24-Oct-10, 14:04
(rolls eyes) ok gonna throw my two p in here..
the gov. has resorces to turn all vehicles green, no matter the size.
yet, because of the loss of profit refuse to do it.
why, then should we be forced to pay more to that same gov. that refuse to
help make the world a better place so that we can have larger cars for what ever our needs.
saying that cows in the field make more of a footprint that we do.

scotsboy
24-Oct-10, 17:41

I actually agree in principle with what Rheghead is saying. There needs to be dramatic changes made to rectify the damage that has been and continues to be done that will cause climate change. I personally think it is pointless central Government making changes in isolation, any changes that are required must be reflected internationally, and let’s be honest that is never going to happen…………think it will rely on a scientific or a technical solution rather than political intervention to rectify this mess!

bekisman
24-Oct-10, 18:22
Trying to stay on thread; think the new Thurso store will be ecologically friendly, like the Wick one, especially hope they will have those wind turbines on the roof too - I like those...

ducati
24-Oct-10, 18:36
I actually agree in principle with what Rheghead is saying. There needs to be dramatic changes made to rectify the damage that has been and continues to be done that will cause climate change. I personally think it is pointless central Government making changes in isolation, any changes that are required must be reflected internationally, and let’s be honest that is never going to happen…………think it will rely on a scientific or a technical solution rather than political intervention to rectify this mess!

It will have to while the Krauts are still selling V8 cars to the Arabs

And the Yanks are still driving tanks about [lol]

scotsboy
24-Oct-10, 18:41
It will have to while the Krauts are still selling V8 cars to the Arabs

And the Yanks are still driving tanks about [lol]

Standard pool car for the company I work for in Saudi is a Chevrolet Caprice 5.7 litre.........my work car is a GMC Suburban 8.4 litre.

Phill
24-Oct-10, 18:52
Standard pool car for the company I work for in Saudi is a Chevrolet Caprice 5.7 litre.........my work car is a GMC Suburban 8.4 litre.

You can't beat cubic capacity!

scotsboy
24-Oct-10, 18:55
............and fuel is about 7p per litre;)

bekisman
24-Oct-10, 19:40
And 'someone' tells me off for my poxy 2 litre Volvo! ;)

scotsboy
24-Oct-10, 19:43
And 'someone' tells me off for my poxy 2 litre Volvo! ;)

Wouldn't be me............as I know it makes not a blind bit of difference.........carbon neutral my arse;)

scotsboy
24-Oct-10, 20:10
Hehe Its not a problem..............

bekisman
24-Oct-10, 20:56
Wouldn't be me............as I know it makes not a blind bit of difference.........carbon neutral my arse;)
No of course it was not you, it's some bod who purchased a BIG car then decided a kids trailer was better...;)