PDA

View Full Version : horse thieves??

stromalassy
20-Oct-10, 18:19
Found a pleat in one of the horses mane's this morning, heard about these so called horse thieves so i decided to go to the police, apparently there have been several people come across these pleats on there horses in the caithness and sutherland area but there have been no actual thefts. Weird or what?? anybody have any ideas what might be going on? the policeman i spoke to also said there'd been rumours of witchcraft!! think i'll just take that as a rumour. Why would someone go to the bother, in the middle of the night, in this weather?? Definately wasn't there yesterday.

_Ju_
20-Oct-10, 18:31
It is probably someone who takes perverted enjoyment from making people worry.

Leanne
20-Oct-10, 18:39
Wind knots can look remarkably like plaits. The whole plait story is supposed to be an urban myth...

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
20-Oct-10, 19:24
Wind knots can look remarkably like plaits. The whole plait story is supposed to be an urban myth...

Although a horse in Tain was actually stolen after being reported having a plait - this was confirmed by Northern Constabulary.

annemarie482
20-Oct-10, 19:36
maybe the plait is so they know which horses to take?! :confused

Kathy@watten
20-Oct-10, 19:51
I personaly would be extra vigilant what with your location, is it possible to have your road gate locked when your off etc and have detailed pics of your neddies just incase the worst happened.

aurora32
20-Oct-10, 19:59
There have been too many horses with their manes plaited for it to be just a myth, one near murkle week before last, one in Dunnet and one like already said actually stolen in Tain. I know im being extra vigilant with my lot, better to be safe than sorry and like Kathy says lock your gates where poss.

stromalassy
20-Oct-10, 20:02
Wind knots can look remarkably like plaits. The whole plait story is supposed to be an urban myth... this was def not a wind knot, was loose at top, definate plait at bottom and tied in a knot.

Corrie 3
20-Oct-10, 20:36
If they get stolen they will probably end up at Appleby Horse Fair next year. Thats where most stolen horses end up. Its time EVERY horse was Microchipped like dogs, then any stolen horse can be traced (even in Ireland)....;)

C3....:roll:

mentallywinnie
20-Oct-10, 20:42
OMG! Keeping my fingers crossed for you (No pun intended)

Leanne
20-Oct-10, 20:56
IIts time EVERY horse was Microchipped like dogs, then any stolen horse can be traced (even in Ireland)....;)

C3....:roll:

Microchips can be removed - freezemarking is much more secure...

bekisman
20-Oct-10, 22:29
Makes interesting reading: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/6744705/Police-force-consulted-warlock-over-horse-plaiting.html

Errogie
20-Oct-10, 22:49
I think there's probably a connection with crop circles.

Woke up the other morning with with my hair much more fankled than usual, could hardly get the comb through it, and spent the rest of the day worrying whether abduction by white slavers or aliens was to follow. Still here though, absence from the ORG not down to either of these things, but arrival of dark evenings usually means more time indoors making irreverent contributions to the message board.

liz_paul
21-Oct-10, 10:09
My mums horse was the one in Murkle and it had a plait was lose at the top, tight at the bottom and was all tangled like dreadlocked then plaited.
He is also freeze marked but with having a rug on they obv didnt notice this!
Also someone my mum knows has same breed off horse and she said her mare had this plait aswell... Strange.

balto
21-Oct-10, 10:12
was thinking the same thing myself.

sids
21-Oct-10, 12:50
I'd shave its head, just to be safe.