PDA

View Full Version : Can I?

porshiepoo
20-Oct-10, 17:07
I'm going to have a go at making a double fleece indoor coat for my Great Dane and I'd like to bind it with something contrasting.

This may sound stupid but can a normal sewing machine cope with 2 layers of fleece and the binding?
Do I need a special needle?
Also does binding come in different thicknesses as the one I have seems quite thick?

I'm very rusty at this but I'm hoping that as I used to overlock and bartack that I'll get the hang of it quickly, especially as I'm hoping to do loads of home furnishing myself for the new house.

Any help appreciated.

sweetpea
24-Oct-10, 12:24
Hi, I've got a pattern for a fleece dog coat, but I haven't made it yet. It says to use extra wide bias binding. It comes in different thicknesses. I would use quite a thick tape if you can find some.
My machine can cope with really thick things such as denim, leather etc by using heavier needles. Also if it's quite thick don't put the foot down on the material, just sew it with it in the up positon. Hope that makes sense!
If your coat has arm holes you will need tubular rib knit material, like the stuff on sweatshirt cuffs.

porshiepoo
24-Oct-10, 20:05
I've just made a double fleece blanket / coat that has an attached neck piece and has to be slipped over the head.

I couldn't be bothered to get the machine out as I had back ache so I made it by hand (it's a prototype anyway). I'm well chuffed with it. It's a perfect fit.
The only thing I need to suss out now is how to stop it slipping. It only slips slightly but it's annoying.
I tried an attached tail sleeve but it didn't work and I'd prefer not to have a belt to it so I'm thinking of maybe adding some kind of small weight to the opposite side to stop the slip.

Now I know how it's done (and how easy it is) I shall buy some more fleece and do a real proper job.
This one is fantastic but there's a couple of things I'd do different.
I'll have to add photos at some point.

I saw a fantastic machine on Ideal World yesterday and was sooooooo tempted. It was £400 and should have been £600. I didn't go for it but I'm definitely going to next time it comes on.

Tubthumper
24-Oct-10, 21:44
Try tucking it in the back of your jeans. Should take the weight off a bit and stop it slipping.

porshiepoo
25-Oct-10, 08:35
Try tucking it in the back of your jeans. Should take the weight off a bit and stop it slipping.

Sorry! Don't get it!!!! lol.

You do realise I'm talking about a dog coat I made? And you do understand that my Great Dane doesn't wear Jeans???? Yet! lol.

Hang about, I don't have a tail neither. lmao.

Or am I being completely thick and just missing the joke?

sweetpea
25-Oct-10, 10:01
Glad you got it done. You could sew in a curtain weight?
Regarding the machine £400 sounds a bit much... I've got a Brother machine that cost about £80 and it does everything and I've had a few machines over the years, Singers etc.
I bet he is nice and cosy now.:)

Torvaig
25-Oct-10, 10:17
"The only thing I need to suss out now is how to stop it slipping. It only slips slightly but it's annoying.
I tried an attached tail sleeve but it didn't work and I'd prefer not to have a belt to it so I'm thinking of maybe adding some kind of small weight to the opposite side to stop the slip."

Rather than a weight, would an underbelly sling in the same material and attached with a couple of pads of velcro on both sides work? It would be easy to detach and wash.....

Tubthumper
25-Oct-10, 12:55
Sorry! Don't get it!!!! lol. You do realise I'm talking about a dog coat I made? And you do understand that my Great Dane doesn't wear Jeans???? Yet! lol. Hang about, I don't have a tail neither. lmao.
Or am I being completely thick and just missing the joke?
Oh god, the shame! I never read your first post, thought it was some kind of mexican thing for yourself!! :roll::lol:

No, it was me being thick. Duh!

porshiepoo
26-Oct-10, 10:24
Sweetpea and Torvaig: Both great ideas. I had thought of an underbelly thingymajig but Huntly is an amazing velcro unfastener. lol
Think it'll have to be a weight.

My next one will cover all these problems.

Sweatpea: I too have a Brother machine that has lasted me many years (until my daughters Shih Tzu recently chewed the foot lead to pieces) but this one on Ideal world was A.mazing.
It was an overlocker as well as sewing machine, had over 300 stitches, could embroider also and included fonts and numbers and was all electronic to boot. Didn't even have to use a foot pedal if you didn't want to.
It retails at £600 - 650 and I so wish I'd gotten it for the £400 now. Felt too guilty to spend that kind of money though!