PDA

View Full Version : Aquro Seal

kmahon2001
20-Oct-10, 12:56
Don't know what other people's experience of these guys is, but as far as I'm concerned they are simply cowboys. I hired them to pressure wash and treat my roof with and anti-fungal treatment, plus repoint the ridge tiles and replace any broken slates and then to replace my old metal gutters with plastic ones.

Not only did they turn up really late each day (I think the earliest they turned up was 12:30pm) but they disappeared several times for at least an hour or two each time. This meant that they were still here trying to finish off the job late into the evenings when it was already starting to get dark (this was at the end of August, so it wasn't even starting to get dark till about 8:30/9:00 at the earliest).

The work they do isn't great either. I won't go into full details as this message is already coming out way too long, but here are some of their bodges.
1 They told me they couldn't get end caps for my adjoining neighbour's metal guttering (our gutters were originally one long run across both properties) so they built up a cap over my neighbour's metal guttering using silicon sealant. Not only did this look ridiculous, but it started to leak the first time we had any rain.

2 They broke one of my roof slates at the back of the house while fitting the end cap to the new plastic gutter. Instead of cutting out a groove in the slate with a grinder or some such to allow the end cap to fit, they seem to have just chipped away at the slate to make a cutout and in the process have broken the slate into three pieces.

3 They have broken a chunk out of the concrete soffit at the front of the house where they bent one of the metal brackets back out of the way to enable them to fit the new end cap to the new gutter (they didn't replace the metal brackets, they simply stuck the new plastic gutters onto the old metal brackets using silicon sealant) .

(Note: They didn't tell me they'd damaged either of these things - I've found out since.)

When I told them about the lump of concrete I'd discovered on the ground when cleaning up after they'd finished, they claimed that the soffit was cracked before they touched it so they said it wasn't their fault.

They promised several times to come back to sort out the leaking "end caps" on my neighbour's metal guttering but they never did. I have since paid a decent contractor to fit end caps to my neighbours metal guttering and these are now watertight.

I only recently learnt of the broken slate when the decent contractor came to fit end caps to my neighbour's gutters. He discovered the broken slate and how the cowboys had chipped away at it and he told me about it.
I wasn't going to put this negative feedback on here as I felt it would be enough for me not to recommend them, particularly as they claim that they get most of their work by reputation and recommendations. But today has proved to be the final straw. The snow we've just had this morning has obviously built up in the gutters. As it began to melt some of the joints in the new guttering started leaking badly. Water has been literally pouring out of three of the joints round the back and one round the front, just over the front door.

I've got two choices here - first to try and get them back and then wait for more unkept promises and/or bodged attempts at fixing the problem, or alternatively to pay someone else to put right what they have bodged. I've chosen the second option and I then thought I ought to warn fellow orgers about this company. Contrary to their claims that my property would be left looking the best and smartest in the street, it actually looks worse than before they started work.

upolian
20-Oct-10, 13:20
From what i read on here this didn't come as a suprise im afraid,i hope you have not paid them for this dodgy work,if so get your money back! I'm in no way a professional in that trade but how on earth can they not get end caps[lol] cheers for the warning!

Nacho
22-Oct-10, 21:16
wish you'd read this thread back in July ...

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=115488

Aquashield were still working in Thurso recently, particularly around the Pennyland area, made me wonder if the firm heard about the postcode lottery winners and decided to come up here and fleece them.

are they getting any work in Wick ?

unicorn
22-Oct-10, 21:43
Is this the same company though as the poster calls it Aquro Seal

Dunedin
23-Oct-10, 15:53
Did this "Aquro Seal" give you a guarantee on their work or any contact details?
If the work is not up to scratch, you should have some comeback (in theory anyway).

Trading Standards in Inverness should be able to advise. Contact Consumer Direct 08454 04 05 06 who will pass the information on. Even if they are unable to help you, it might help prevent others becoming victims in future.

unicorn
23-Oct-10, 19:45
I think thats a bit harsh [evil] I personally do not entertain these people but it does not mean anyone that does deserves what they get :eek:

kmahon2001
23-Oct-10, 21:39
you deserve every thing u get takeing cold callers to work on your property dont u watch tv there is programs on each week telling u about these people lol

I posted on here to warn other people about what had happened with this company in the hopes of preventing at least one or two others from falling victim, not to have some know-it-all with a big mouth post a snotty response. Must be nice sitting up there on your pedestal looking down and laughing at us mere mortals. [disgust]