PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous Driving Conditions

DocStone
20-Oct-10, 09:23
Be carefull on the Wick - Thurso road, especially from Bilbster to Old Hall. Two cars off the road, lots of sleet/ice on the roads and they have NOT been treated. Both cars are off at corners so take your time.

Why the roads haven't been treated seeing as they knew we were getting frost and sleet/snow is beyond me.

torisdale
20-Oct-10, 09:30
probably trying to save grit/salt.

annemarie482
20-Oct-10, 09:34
calling tuggs!!
is it going to be snowing/slushy in wick tomorrow morning?
i have my driving test!

torisdale
20-Oct-10, 09:35
calling tuggs!!
i have my driving test!

Even if it is snowy/slushy don't worry as you need to learn somehow :P

upolian
20-Oct-10, 09:40
Does not seem to stop a high percentage of drivers ive seen from 6am this morning,2cars in the dirch is not good,i suspect there will be a few more before the weekend!

Vistravi
20-Oct-10, 09:46
calling tuggs!!
i have my driving test!

If its slushy/icy tomorrow when you sit your test just take it slower than normal. The examiner wil not expect you to drive right at the speed limit in these conditions. Only a fool would.

Don't worry about it and keep safe.

weeksider
20-Oct-10, 10:27
[lol] 2 NEW ROAD CAMERAS ON THE CASSIEMIRE NOW ,ON THE TRAFFIC SCOTLAND WEBSITE

annemarie482
20-Oct-10, 10:32
[lol] 2 NEW ROAD CAMERAS ON THE CASSIEMIRE NOW ,ON THE TRAFFIC SCOTLAND WEBSITE

seen that this morning on the site but they're either not working or off :roll::lol:

changilass
20-Oct-10, 10:46
They were on last night cos I was checking out the road conditions as I have to drive down to Inverness today.

Venture
20-Oct-10, 11:19
Saw the gritter going out the Watten road just after nine.:)

rainbow
20-Oct-10, 19:14
If the road conditions are poor then your test will be cancelled. You still have to turn up at the test centre and your test will be re-scheduled. My daughter was soooo angry in February when her test was cancelled, due to heavy snow,but it can't be helped. She got a new date - 3 months later, but then got a cancellation a few weeks later and passed - thankfully. Hope the weather is good for your test Annemarie.

annemarie482
20-Oct-10, 19:34
weather will be fine lol
was a tad worried when there was alot of folk on about slush but its long gone. only thing that'll stop me now is me! lol:lol::roll:

Tugmistress
20-Oct-10, 21:59
calling tuggs!!
i have my driving test!

Hiya,
no you should be fine, it's going to be a chilly night but i don't think it will freeze, especially right on the coast and in town :)
good luck and let us know how you get on :D

Vistravi
20-Oct-10, 22:56
weather will be fine lol
was a tad worried when there was alot of folk on about slush but its long gone. only thing that'll stop me now is me! lol:lol::roll:

Exactly thats the way to think.

Just think its just a drive, a normal drive and you'll be fine. Nerves is what will make you fail so just be calm and think that it doesn't matter if you fail as you can do it again. Its what my instructor has been telling me after i told him that i wanted to pass the first time.

Good luck with tomorrow;)

ducati
20-Oct-10, 23:33
Just been outside and it's like a cool summer evening. No wind and feels warm (ish) :lol:

There has been about 4 gritters going past [lol]

sweetpea
21-Oct-10, 00:24
Be carefull on the Wick - Thurso road, especially from Bilbster to Old Hall. Two cars off the road, lots of sleet/ice on the roads and they have NOT been treated. Both cars are off at corners so take your time.

Why the roads haven't been treated seeing as they knew we were getting frost and sleet/snow is beyond me.

I came across a couple of small incidents the same time as you this morning. I'm not going to get into the gritter debate, but when I came home again at 5pm it was completely different to the morning.

In my 'limited' experience you have to 'adapt' to the driving conditions and the folk this morning didn't do that. IMHO:(

northener
21-Oct-10, 14:41
Yesterday was fun on the road....not.

Set off at 05:30 from Keiss to Aberdeen on me bike for a friends funeral.

Snow on the roads from Thrumster all the way over the Ord (nearly lost it on the hairpin at the Ord in the snow with a transit van glued to me arse), then a clear sky and frozen roads all the way to the Dornoch Bridge:eek: I went to accelerate past a car exiting Golspie and the bike was wheelspinning and going sideways on black ice. Lots of twitchy front and back end moments in the bends (luckily, I'd packed spare underwear).
After Inverness, masses of slush and spray on the A96 with the sun straight in your eyes all the way, bloody awful run. I needed a welding mask on that road, not a full face helmet, couldn't see a thing.

Lovely sunny day in Aberdeen.....until I set off back in the evening that is, then it was torrential rain at 1*C all the way from Huntly up to Tain....I've not been that soaked on a bike for years, then the moon came out and it was freezing point for the rest of the journey. Gawd 'elp us, wot a rotten round trip - 400 miles of absolute purgatory.

Nearly fell off the bike in Wick outside Bombay Spice at 21:00 after managing to remain alive and moving forward only by focussing on one of Mohammeds' large Doner Kebabs with lashing of chilli sauce for the last 80 miles.:Razz

ducati
21-Oct-10, 18:48
Yesterday was fun on the road....not.

Set off at 05:30 from Keiss to Aberdeen on me bike for a friends funeral.

Snow on the roads from Thrumster all the way over the Ord (nearly lost it on the hairpin at the Ord in the snow with a transit van glued to me arse), then a clear sky and frozen roads all the way to the Dornoch Bridge:eek: I went to accelerate past a car exiting Golspie and the bike was wheelspinning and going sideways on black ice. Lots of twitchy front and back end moments in the bends (luckily, I'd packed spare underwear).
After Inverness, masses of slush and spray on the A96 with the sun straight in your eyes all the way, bloody awful run. I needed a welding mask on that road, not a full face helmet, couldn't see a thing.

Lovely sunny day in Aberdeen.....until I set off back in the evening that is, then it was torrential rain at 1*C all the way from Huntly up to Tain....I've not been that soaked on a bike for years, then the moon came out and it was freezing point for the rest of the journey. Gawd 'elp us, wot a rotten round trip - 400 miles of absolute purgatory.

Nearly fell off the bike in Wick outside Bombay Spice at 21:00 after managing to remain alive and moving forward only by focussing on one of Mohammeds' large Doner Kebabs with lashing of chilli sauce for the last 80 miles.:Razz

As an ex courier I can tell you only one thing to do on a journey like that. Take a firm grip of the seat ;)

or 'break' the gear linkage and call the AA

northener
21-Oct-10, 19:39
As an ex courier I can tell you only one thing to do on a journey like that. Take a firm grip of the seat ;)

or 'break' the gear linkage and call the AA

I know what you mean, D. Arsesteering all the way.....

Northener (ex Kilo72, Vanguard Couriers, Marylebone:Razz)

ducati
21-Oct-10, 22:02
I know what you mean, D. Arsesteering all the way.....

Northener (ex Kilo72, Vanguard Couriers, Marylebone:Razz)

I salute you.

Swift Despatch, Liverpool (When we say Swift we mean Lost) :eek:

Green_not_greed
21-Oct-10, 22:04
Well in the Council's defence I drove home up the Strath of Kildonan/ Strath Halladale last night and the only vehicle I met on the entire road was the gritter.

Scarybiscuits03
21-Oct-10, 23:18
I dont think the roads were bad enough to waste grit on - but saying that I've not been up early cos the kids are on hol!!!..Woohoo!

Has it been frosty in the morn? If so I'll have to invest in some antifreeze!:~(