PDA

View Full Version : no more council homes for life

bagpuss
19-Oct-10, 14:06
yet another wizard wheeze - no more council homes for life. Now picture this. Family move to Caithness from Lancashire and get 4 bed council house. Kids grow up and leave home. Parents assessed- and hey presto, turfed out. it happens in England- how soon before it affects Scotland?

Logical
19-Oct-10, 14:15
Sooner rather than later....

This going to happen or is this just an idea?

Dadie
19-Oct-10, 14:25
Sounds like a good idea if it frees up the houses that are needed..ie downsize housing for those that no longer need all the bedrooms and free up the bigger houses for families...but will it make it harder for those starting out..single people...looking for their 1st house.
Plus the heating and council tax will be less for the older people.

gollach
19-Oct-10, 14:36
yet another wizard wheeze - no more council homes for life. Now picture this. Family move to Caithness from Lancashire and get 4 bed council house. Kids grow up and leave home. Parents assessed- and hey presto, turfed out. it happens in England- how soon before it affects Scotland?

By turfed out, you mean they get a smaller home as they no longer need 4 bedrooms for just the two of them.
Makes sense - frees large family homes for those who need them, saves older folk from running a larger house.

Corrie 3
19-Oct-10, 14:42
Do you know someone who came from England and got a 4 bed council house?....How long were they on the waiting list for up here?
I dont know if you just used this as a scenario but I have seen people coming from England and getting a council house straight away without having to wait while our own youngsters can't get a place without waiting for ages.
Good scheme from the ConDems I reckon, as Dadie says it will free up the larger houses. But of course if the Tories had not brought in theiir right to buy scheme we woudnt be having this housing shortage now.

C3....:eek:

Logical
19-Oct-10, 14:45
You say that like Scottish people should have first pickings, I thought this was supposed to be the united kingdom.

Corrie 3
19-Oct-10, 14:47
You say that like Scottish people should have first pickings, I thought this was supposed to be the united kingdom.
Local people should be the main priority in any council house scheme, I know for a fact that if I went to live anywhere in England I woudnt get a council house without waiting a long time.

C3...:eek:

Dadie
19-Oct-10, 14:50
If you want a house for life ...you could always buy...start on the property market...and work up...or down..OK the market is pretty dismal for selling but if you have a secure job (and a decent deposit)its the time to buy!

Logical
19-Oct-10, 14:51
Only more people to pay council tax - more money.

But yes, the local community should be a priority. You got me ;)

Not that you would want a council house in the heart of Manchester!

Aestus57
19-Oct-10, 14:57
If you want a house for life ...you could always buy...start on the property market...and work up...or down..OK the market is pretty dismal for selling but if you have a secure job (and a decent deposit)its the time to buy!

Whats a secure job these days ??????:(

Duncansby
19-Oct-10, 14:58
Rural housing is a problem all over the UK, where you have folk from the cities moving into the country in pursuit of some rural idyll (which is often not what they thought it would be). This means that house prices are pushed up outwith the reach of local people, especially those who are just starting out.

Now if people from outwith the county are moving into Caithness and getting council houses on a first come first served basis what hope have those who have lived there all their lives got against this competition. Now I don't think I've phrased that as well as I'd have liked because I am not suggesting that Caithness should not have incomers arriving in the county. But an influx of those from other parts of the UK puts a drain on very limited housing resources within the Highlands - 11,000 people are currently on the waiting list in the Highland region.

Dadie
19-Oct-10, 14:58
Undertaker?
Always need them..

Aestus57
19-Oct-10, 15:02
Undertaker ??? It's a dying profession.! :eek:

Scarybiscuits03
19-Oct-10, 15:10
Whats a secure job these days ??????:(

Doctor, Nurse, Engineer, Accountant, Childminder......There are lots, unfortunately they all take training.

Aestus57
19-Oct-10, 15:16
Doctor, Nurse, Engineer, Accountant, Childminder......There are lots, unfortunately they all take training.

..... and quite a few are shortly to be made redundant.... NHS cutbacks, Dounreay downsizing, Dunbar Hospital funding, I could go on and on and on.........

Aestus57
19-Oct-10, 15:18
Oh... and PRIVATE Dentists going under as well! (Thurso)

Duncansby
19-Oct-10, 15:18
Are they secure though? Yes we need Dr's and nurse's but what with temporary contracts and proposed cuts to the NHS not even these are secure. And to really see the glass half empty - who needs childcare when everyone is unemployed...I'm not usually this much of a pesimist honest :lol:

Scarybiscuits03
19-Oct-10, 15:19
..... and quite a few are shortly to be made redundant.... NHS cutbacks, Dounreay downsizing, Dunbar Hospital funding, I could go on and on and on.........

Perhaps - but these are professions where you will always get a job, you may have to travel to find it but there are plenty out there

ducati
19-Oct-10, 15:21
Do you know someone who came from England and got a 4 bed council house?....How long were they on the waiting list for up here?
I dont know if you just used this as a scenario but I have seen people coming from England and getting a council house straight away without having to wait while our own youngsters can't get a place without waiting for ages.
Good scheme from the ConDems I reckon, as Dadie says it will free up the larger houses. But of course if the Tories had not brought in theiir right to buy scheme we woudnt be having this housing shortage now.

C3....:eek:

Please explain, if the people living in the house bought the house, then lived in the house, how does this cause a housing shortage?

dozy
19-Oct-10, 15:23
The Tories Motto is hung over a gate, it says "WORK WILL SET YOU FREE". The old, sick and disabled and council tenents go to the right for a shower .The healthy home owners go to the left. We will have plenty of heat and hot water for you shortly. No doubt they will be using Kinloss as the first CAMP. The Tories are a sick bunch of self centered con-men ,hell bent on finishing what Hilter started. The Tories like to stir things up and get the stupid folk fighting amongst themselves. Always follow the money and you'll find a Tory.

squidge
19-Oct-10, 15:24
People from England dont get council houses just because they come from england - Council housing is assessed on need and there is no way someone moving into the area would automatically go to the top of the list.

If however those people "coming from england" had privately rented and that was coming to an end and they could not do that again and were under notice of eviction and therefore "homeless"they may, just may get extra points and go top of the list. If they are a homeless family they may have morepoints than a homeless singleton. If they have vulnerable people living with them - a disabled child for example then they may have more points. If they are coming to work in the area and have a job lined up then they might have more points but they dont simply get more points for "coming from england" :roll:

squidge
19-Oct-10, 15:26
[quote=Corrie 3;774431 I know for a fact that if I went to live anywhere in England I woudnt get a council house without waiting a long time.

C3...:eek:[/quote]

Thats not necessarily true Corrie 3 - in some places you would be able to Choose from aselection of council houses and you wouldnt need to wait for a longtime.

changilass
19-Oct-10, 15:26
At least they are doing something, successive governments haven't had the guts to do anything to ease the burden and thats why we are in such a mess just now.

Better late than never.

Corrie 3
19-Oct-10, 15:27
Please explain, if the people living in the house bought the house, then lived in the house, how does this cause a housing shortage?
If the Tories hadnt brought in this scheme then some of the Council Tenants would probably gone on to buy a house on the open market and that then would have freed up their council house. And why were they given such huge discounts? And did the money from these sales go into a pot to produce more council house, I bet not! It was one of the most damaging schemes in housing history...IMHO of course!

ducati
19-Oct-10, 15:27
The Tories Motto is hung over a gate, it says "WORK WILL SET YOU FREE". The old, sick and disabled and council tenents go to the right for a shower .The healthy home owners go to the left. We will have plenty of heat and hot water for you shortly. No doubt they will be using Kinloss as the first CAMP. The Tories are a sick bunch of self centered con-men ,hell bent on finishing what Hilter started. The Tories like to stir things up and get the stupid folk fighting amongst themselves. Always follow the money and you'll find a Tory.

What a dim bunch of codswallap :Razz

Duncansby
19-Oct-10, 15:29
I was especially interested to learn that the cabinet contains 20 millionaires, whilst watching Dispatches last night - somehow those revelations had previously passed me by. But it certainly made me wonder how 'we are all in this together' if those in charge of responding to the financial crisis have significant cash resources. How are they going to represent the common man in the streets best interests when they are so far removed from the pressures affecting the majority of people in this courtry?

Corrie 3
19-Oct-10, 15:29
Thats not necessarily true Corrie 3 - in some places you would be able to Choose from aselection of council houses and you wouldnt need to wait for a longtime.
Tell me where Squidge.......I might just go before the winter sets in!!

C3...;):lol:

changilass
19-Oct-10, 15:33
I was especially interested to learn that the cabinet contains 20 millionaires, whilst watching Dispatches last night - somehow those revelations had previously passed me by. But it certainly made me wonder how 'we are all in this together' if those in charge of responding to the financial crisis have significant cash resources. How are they going to represent the common man in the streets best interests when they are so far removed from the pressures affecting the majority of people in this courtry?

Just cos you aint been to mars doesn't mean you don't know that life aint sustainable there.

ducati
19-Oct-10, 15:36
If the Tories hadnt brought in this scheme then some of the Council Tenants would probably gone on to buy a house on the open market and that then would have freed up their council house. And why were they given such huge discounts? And did the money from these sales go into a pot to produce more council house, I bet not! It was one of the most damaging schemes in housing history...IMHO of course!

Still have the same people in the same houses-Sorry :D

I was involved in varous right to buy schemes and the tennents I worked with would have never contemplated buying if it weren't for right to buy.

The discount was calculated based on the amount of rent you had payed for the house and the market value of the house in relation to the likely maintainance costs. This scheme saved many councils fortunes in maintaining ageing housing stock (not always though) which they presumably put into other schemes to benefit communities, or blew it on trips abroad to see what the Guatamalans were doing about it if they were Labour :lol:

ducati
19-Oct-10, 15:38

How many millionaires in the last Labour cabinet please?

Duncansby
19-Oct-10, 15:43
Just cos you aint been to mars doesn't mean you don't know that life aint sustainable there.

Well life will not be sustainable here with no jobs either. Do you think there might be jobs on Mars?

Scarybiscuits03
19-Oct-10, 15:46
Well life will not be sustainable here with no jobs either. Do you think there might be jobs on Mars?

You go check it out and report back your findings![lol]

Duncansby
19-Oct-10, 15:48
How many millionaires in the last Labour cabinet please?

Oh I'm learning a lot today according to this (http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/dec/04/labour-class-war) 19. I stand by the question I asked - it does not matter which party is in charge - how can someone with that much financial security understand the hardships of the poorest in society.

squidge
19-Oct-10, 15:48
The money from Council sales didnt go into the pot for new council houses it went to central government. The answer is to invest in social housing and whilst the last government did that to a degree it didnt go far enough.

Seems to me that we have a "punitive" tory government here - there is nothing about INCENTIVES and everything about BIG STICKS and big sticks that hit the old poor and weak hardest it appears.

No change there then. I would sooner they stuck a couple of pence on taxes for basic rate payers, five pence on taxes for the highest paid, somewhere in between for ordinary high rate tax payers; taxed all termination payments over a certain amount at a high rate. - why is the BBC deputy director general being made redundant and getting £900 000 - are we there to make people millionaires?

But no, cuts cuts cuts cuts cuts, lets beat the jobless back to work cos after all they must ALL be jobshy scroungers pretending to have a bad back, lets batter poorer families cos after all they are all having too many children and we dont want to have to keep all the little brats har har har. Lets close bases, hospitals, schools, lets take longer to pay our bills, lets pay philip Green -a man not unused to tax dodges to tell us where we are wasting money and then sack civil servants. After all isnt toryism all about doing the best for oneself and the rest can go to hell. It all makes me vaguely nauseaus.

Duncansby
19-Oct-10, 15:51
You go check it out and report back your findings![lol]

Ok - but I may need some help building a rocket. Do you know where I can get a waltzer car - I'm planning something along the lines of River Pheonix's rocket in The Explorers...

Scarybiscuits03
19-Oct-10, 15:55
Ok - but I may need some help building a rocket. Do you know where I can get a waltzer car - I'm planning something along the lines of River Pheonix's rocket in The Explorers...

Oh Im not sure about that but I can give you an old washing up bottle, a shoebox and some string......They always managed to use them for something on BP![lol]

Duncansby
19-Oct-10, 15:59
Oh Im not sure about that but I can give you an old washing up bottle, a shoebox and some string......They always managed to use them for something on BP![lol]

Cool I've got the sticky back plastic, so it's all systems go...:D

squidge
19-Oct-10, 16:01
Of course people with money can understand the problems faced by the poorest in society many of them have been there and done that - many wealthy people had humble beginnings but not in this cabinet it seems. Many of the people in the cabinet not only have money they are from a very priviledged background. They went to a posh nursery with other posh nursery children, they went to a prep school with other posh prep school children,they went to a posh public school with other posh public schoolboys/girls, they went to a posh university with other posh university students. They didnt have friends that were skint whos parents lived in a council house and dad worked the bins i bet.

ITs the immersion thats the problem, how many of them have waited to go shopping til the shop is nearly closed so they can get the reduced bargains? how many have sat under the windowsill hiding from the milkmn/coalman/paperman because they cant afford to pay the bill this week? how many of them have made a tenner worth of petrol last a whole week? how many of them have cut a mars bar into 3 because they couldnt afford to buy three seperate sweeties for their children? how many have tipped their wage packet out on a friday and worked out they can afford some things and not others this week?

I would reckon very few to be honest. They have NEVER had to copper up to pay the gas bill, or borrow out the kiddies piggy bank to get them to payday or have their jobs under threat - indeed many of them have never worked outside of politics and I count the new labour leader in that... They are looking at life for a huge number of people from outside in abnd whilst they can get a glimpse of how it is they can never truly GET IT.

EDDIE
19-Oct-10, 19:20

Well why should a couple get to stay in a "council subdisized house" when they no longer need a big house and there might be another family with young kids that need the extra space.
With the shortage of council houses which is cheap rent its ment for people that cant afford to buy a house and are on low wages its not aimed at people that can afford to buy a house but choose to live in council house because its cheap?
I think there should be 2 options in example you given
1 they agree to move to a smaller house
2 they get to stay in there present home but pay the going rate for rent for that size of house not the council cheap rent?
And i bet if they had that choice they would pick option 1 because they wouldnt want to pay the going rent price for that size of property

Phill
19-Oct-10, 20:26
......4 bed council house. Kids grow up and leave home. Parents assessed- and hey presto, turfed out.No bad thing provided it is done properly and rehousing is local or fully optional. My grandmother lives in a 2 story 3 bed house where she really should be in a single story 1 bed bungalow/flat. Frees the house up for a family.

Not that you would want a council house in the heart of Manchester!You'd be surprised, they come from all over the world for 'em. And that ain't a joke.

Whats a secure job these days ?MP?

And did the money from these sales go into a pot to produce more council house should have gone to maintain the stock as well.

This scheme saved many councils fortunes in maintaining ageing housing stock (not always though) which they presumably put into other schemes to benefit communities, or blew it on trips abroad to see what the Guatamalans were doing about it if they were Labour About the size of it. I worked breifly in the public sector (arrgggghhhh, never again) on the Decent Home Standard, the amount of housing stock that was effectively uninhabitable was shocking. It didn't save on maintaing stock 'cos they just didn't maintain it.

Commercially run housing associations, although it sounds an oxymoron that is the only longterm, sustainable way forward

bekisman
19-Oct-10, 22:20

Sorry mate, but you don't half write a lot of tripe.. "finishing what Hilter (sic) started"? - using an analogy of death camps that murdered millions of Jews, might be considered amusement by you, but not to most of us.. additionally, considering you are 'stirring things up' - one wonders if you are a closet Tory; well you do post under the name of 'Dozy'..

bagpuss
19-Oct-10, 22:58
Part of the policy is that only the needy become eligible for social housing- and once income rises, or need for a bigger house declines, then the subsidised housing is withdrawn. One option is to stick old people in bedsits, or insist that when earnings go over 20k that people have to rent in the private sector or buy. But given the state of the mortgage market- and the huge deposits before anyone being eligible for a mortgage, how realistic is this?

I used the analogy of the big family moving into an area as an example- after 6 or 7 years if the kids leave home, then the parents might be in this situation

ShelleyCowie
19-Oct-10, 23:06
Im currently on the waiting list for a 4 bedroom house. I love my house, i love the area and dont really want to move but oh my gosh we are desperate for space! Kids dont get any smaller :lol:

Anyways, iv only been on the list since January so not long i guess considering people can be on it for years. But my youngest is just a couple of months old and im having to keep his clothes in bags. My bedroom is literally jam packed as it is with the cot and other furniture for clothes. Iv tried freeing up space but not working!

I know of a few houses with just one or 2 people in them. It bugs me a little, but i guess i just have to be patient. Not much more i can do really :(

balto
19-Oct-10, 23:09
this is a briilliant idea, all those familys desperate for bigger houses, that they cant get because they are occupied by single people, high time they did this.

EDDIE
20-Oct-10, 07:22
Part of the policy is that only the needy become eligible for social housing- and once income rises, or need for a bigger house declines, then the subsidised housing is withdrawn. One option is to stick old people in bedsits, or insist that when earnings go over 20k that people have to rent in the private sector or buy. But given the state of the mortgage market- and the huge deposits before anyone being eligible for a mortgage, how realistic is this?

I used the analogy of the big family moving into an area as an example- after 6 or 7 years if the kids leave home, then the parents might be in this situation

At the moment depending on were you live if you was to rent in the privat market a 4 bed house it would be about £800 a month or more or less the same price as a morgage because property is dear to buy and there is a shortage were if that had been a council house it would have probably been near the £300 month mark a more relistic price.
The only way to solve this problem is to build a mass of houses so there is no longer a shortage?
If any family had a 20k salary they would struggle to live if they were renting in the private market unless they were both working

Vistravi
20-Oct-10, 09:40
this is a briilliant idea, all those familys desperate for bigger houses, that they cant get because they are occupied by single people, high time they did this.

It be helpful if the council did not give single people 3 bedroom houses to begin with as it is.

annemarie482
20-Oct-10, 09:43

totally agree!

Dadie
20-Oct-10, 09:51
Hmmn as i said I hope its more a case of allocating the best use of houses...right amount of rooms to people, bungalows for old/infirm etc not sticking them in a 3rd floor flat because it has the right amount of rooms.
So its still a case of council houses for life if need be ... but not neccessarily the same house!
Oh and charging for malicious damage that renders a house out of action for a quick turn round if people get a house with too many rooms as a stopgap etc..

Paul_and_Anna
20-Oct-10, 09:57
Being of an age where I can remember huge, well run and maintained council estates, I would say the solution to the problem has always been remarkably obvious ....... build more council houses!

As with employment, not everyone will be in a position to join the club. Those that cannot afford to buy a house still need a roof over their heads. Those living rough on the streets could use a sleeping bag and use of a few church pews overnight.

There is always a way, but not if money is the prime concern.

balto
20-Oct-10, 10:09
It be helpful if the council did not give single people 3 bedroom houses to begin with as it is.
well the way it should be then they dont do this anymore, the way the housing forms are done now seems a better idea, it seems like the old fok who have been in their houses for years that are occuping the bigger houses, familys are getting bigger and older people are living longer so they need to do something soon.

annemarie482
20-Oct-10, 10:31
well the way it should be then they dont do this anymore, the way the housing forms are done now seems a better idea, it seems like the old fok who have been in their houses for years that are occuping the bigger houses, familys are getting bigger and older people are living longer so they need to do something soon.

yes thats exactly it when the family has grown up and the parents/parent remains in the 3/4 bedroom house.
the council should come up with some kind of incentive for the tennant to downsize.
its a hard one as, if i was in a large house with children left home i would feel why should i downsize, i like my big house, pay all my bills so i'm entitled to be here!
yet on the other side if i was still in my old wee house with my kids and see an old man/woman living in the "family" home (some of which live in the downstairs as they can't manage the stairs) but just can't face moving or simply dont want to, i'd be annoyed too!

you can't shouldn't force people to move, but as i said above i really think some kind of incentive would go a long way.

bagpuss
20-Oct-10, 22:46
Now think- what if this applied also to people who had bought their council houses- if all of a sudden the politicians decided to buy back those 'right to buy' properties at the price that they were sold to their tenants. Would that be fair?

Vistravi
20-Oct-10, 22:59
Now think- what if this applied also to people who had bought their council houses- if all of a sudden the politicians decided to buy back those 'right to buy' properties at the price that they were sold to their tenants. Would that be fair?

That wouldn't even come into it as once the money and deeds change hands the house no longer belongs to the council. All the council could do was offer to buy it back. What sane person who bought and paid of their mortgage would then sell it back to the council only to be turfed out?

If you can afford to buy then that is the way to have a house for life.

ducati
20-Oct-10, 23:23
That wouldn't even come into it as once the money and deeds change hands the house no longer belongs to the council. All the council could do was offer to buy it back. What sane person who bought and paid of their mortgage would then sell it back to the council only to be turfed out?

If you can afford to buy then that is the way to have a house for life.

Here is a reality check.

Council tenants have an appropriate sized house as a right (although it seems you have to wait for it). Private buyers of houses (you know, the ones paying taxes to subsidise council rents) may never be able to afford a 4-bedroom house, no matter how many children or grandparents live with them.

Currently in Caithness (about the cheapest place to buy in the UK) a 4 bed house costs anywhere from £165,000 to £300,000 and more. The mortgage payments per month for these would range from £1000 to £1800 and are subject to the interest rate going only one way, so could quite easily double in the next few years.

Be happy and feel lucky if you have a council or housing association house or flat.

theone
20-Oct-10, 23:40
Here is a reality check.

Council tenants have an appropriate sized house as a right (although it seems you have to wait for it). Private buyers of houses (you know, the ones paying taxes to subsidise council rents) may never be able to afford a 4-bedroom house, no matter how many children or grandparents live with them.

Currently in Caithness (about the cheapest place to buy in the UK) a 4 bed house costs anywhere from £165,000 to £300,000 and more. The mortgage payments per month for these would range from £1000 to £1800 and are subject to the interest rate going only one way, so could quite easily double in the next few years.

Be happy and feel lucky if you have a council or housing association house or flat.

Well said that man.

Logical
21-Oct-10, 12:07
older people are living longer

And there lies the real issue.....

rob murray
21-Oct-10, 17:29
Here is a reality check.

Absolute and complete offensive nonsense : since when did private owners subsidise council rents ? Do you know what the rent for a three bedroom council house is....c £4,000 a year, given the value of ex council houses on the market c£65 - 80, then approx 20 year in the house is paid for. Many local council homes are around 5o years old...they are now 100% profitable. Hardly anyone would buy a house at £165 / £300 grand from a standing start ie first time buyers taking on a mortgage that you quoted..( they would have to pay 25% deposit upfront) check out interest rates as well your miles off the mark here. Ok to finish....a private owner will one day own a property outright...people can pay rent for 40 years and own sweet fa

bekisman
21-Oct-10, 18:17
Absolute and complete offensive nonsense : since when did private owners subsidise council rents ? Do you know what the rent for a three bedroom council house is....c £4,000 a year, given the value of ex council houses on the market c£65 - 80, then approx 20 year in the house is paid for. Many local council homes are around 5o years old...they are now 100% profitable. Hardly anyone would buy a house at £165 / £300 grand from a standing start ie first time buyers taking on a mortgage that you quoted..( they would have to pay 25% deposit upfront) check out interest rates as well your miles off the mark here. Ok to finish....a private owner will one day own a property outright...people can pay rent for 40 years and own sweet fa

Is that correct: 'rent for a three bedroom council house is around £4,000 a year?'

I'm not knocking it, I was born and bred in a council house, but quite surprised to read that [in Thurso]? it's c£333 a month..

ducati
21-Oct-10, 18:20

My facts are all facts. Just because they offend you doesn't make them any less true.

Council rents are subsidised. They are not market rents, try renting a 3 bed house privately, you find it considerably more than £300 ish a month.

I know what my mortgage payments are so I can, with confidence, tell you my figures are correct. (Repayment mortgage).

And no, a first time buyer can't buy a 4 bedroom house, neither can many others, that my friend is my point.

bekisman
21-Oct-10, 18:58
My facts are all facts. Just because they offend you doesn't make them any less true.

Council rents are subsidised. They are not market rents, try renting a 3 bed house privately, you find it considerably more than £300 ish a month.

I know what my mortgage payments are so I can, with confidence, tell you my figures are correct. (Repayment mortgage).

And no, a first time buyer can't buy a 4 bedroom house, neither can many others, that my friend is my point.

I think Ducati is correct - just had a look on our own Org pages above:

Unfurnished 3 bedroom house Barrock Street, Thurso: £450
3 Bed end terrace Trostan Terrace, thurso: £450
3 Bed bed terrace house, Wilson Terrace, Thurso £475
3 bed House Thurso £460
3 bed house Thurso £475

My Son originally bought on mortgage a terraced house in Wilson Street - just moved in, when all the other houses had new windows put in.. He had to pay a couple of thousand for same..:~(

Phill
21-Oct-10, 18:59
If council houses were that 'profitable' they'd be throwing 'em up left right & centre.

They cost a fortune to maintain (if & when they get maintained) only for a vast number of occupants to fail to look after because it's not theirs so why should they.
I'm not tarring everyone with the same brush but many occupants who are of a younger generation and certainly many of whom are from overseas effectively trash the homes they have because someone else will come and 'fix it'.

I think ducati's about the mark on repayments. And yes, if you pay rent you own now't.

Commercially run, tenant led housing associations with an active building plan, including purchase options for tenants, is the best way forward.

Constantly giving away cheap properties to all and sundry to run into the ground is just costing a fortune.

Blarney
21-Oct-10, 20:13
I think Ducati is correct - just had a look on our own Org pages above:

Unfurnished 3 bedroom house Barrock Street, Thurso: £450
3 Bed end terrace Trostan Terrace, thurso: £450
3 Bed bed terrace house, Wilson Terrace, Thurso £475
3 bed House Thurso £460
3 bed house Thurso £475

My Son originally bought on mortgage a terraced house in Wilson Street - just moved in, when all the other houses had new windows put in.. He had to pay a couple of thousand for same..:~(
Yes but if he'd bought the house after the new windows were put in, the price would have increased by that couple of thousand!
All recent council improvements would have been factored in to the offer price. Sods law really but at least he would have been able to put his own stamp on the property with his choice of windows.

bekisman
21-Oct-10, 21:31
Yes but if he'd bought the house after the new windows were put in, the price would have increased by that couple of thousand!
All recent council improvements would have been factored in to the offer price. Sods law really but at least he would have been able to put his own stamp on the property with his choice of windows.

Point I was making, that as a Council Tenant, improvements such as replacement windows are not paid for by the tenant? well they weren't in my day, so a saving in that direction..

PS thanks for rep ref another Thread ;)

Blarney
21-Oct-10, 22:12
Yes, I take your point but I suppose that indirectly the tenants are paying for it when the council ups the rent again.....that is when the tenants are actually paying rent themselves. Many nowadays are subsidised to such an extent that they pay for nothing so I guess you could say that some of us are paying a mortgage plus a good proportion of our neighbours' rent.

rob murray
22-Oct-10, 17:13

Define your definition of a market ? Also re mortage your clearly being ripped off

ducati
22-Oct-10, 17:34
Define your definition of a market ? Also re mortage your clearly being ripped off

Non subsidised

We're not all in a position to

rob murray
22-Oct-10, 17:40
Non subsidised

We're not all in a position to

Ok non subsidised : abolish housing benefit and all state interventions ( stop council build etc ) and let rents find their real market values...cnat be done can it ? so by definition their cannot be a true market

Are you tied into a fixed term deal you cant get out of ? if so you made your choice...

ducati
22-Oct-10, 18:24
Ok non subsidised : abolish housing benefit and all state interventions ( stop council build etc ) and let rents find their real market values...cnat be done can it ? so by definition their cannot be a true market

Are you tied into a fixed term deal you cant get out of ? if so you made your choice...

I think you misunderstood my first post.

I was merely reacting to people complaining they had to wait for a 4 bedroom house :confused

rob murray
22-Oct-10, 20:24
I think you misunderstood my first post.

I was merely reacting to people complaining they had to wait for a 4 bedroom house :confused

Nah you didnt, see below, your post this is what got my goat going, how about tosh such as "Private buyers of houses (you know, the ones paying taxes to subsidise council rents)"...who do you think your are with this implication....many hard working, working class families cannot afford to buy a "private house"...they work....pay taxes..pay their way..pay council tax....so who is actually subsidising who here eh !!

Here is a reality check.

ducati
22-Oct-10, 20:37
Nah you didnt, see below, your post this is what got my goat going, how about tosh such as "Private buyers of houses (you know, the ones paying taxes to subsidise council rents)"...who do you think your are with this implication....many hard working, working class families cannot afford to buy a "private house"...they work....pay taxes..pay their way..pay council tax....so who is actually subsidising who here eh !!

Here is a reality check.

Don't see your problem. I stand by all that.

EDDIE
22-Oct-10, 20:41
Why is it that the one thing in life we all need is decent house and its one of the dearest things the average person will buy in there life and all it is bricks and wood wiring and pipes.