PDA

View Full Version : Agree to Disagree.....Please!!

sapphire
30-Jul-06, 13:12
I realise that I will probably get shot down in flames for this. (And yes the choice of words was intentional!)
I feel unable to contribute to a few of the threads currently running on the forum,due I admit to lack of knowledge, however that hasn't stopped me from finding them interesting.What I find disappointing is the way those taking part feel it necessary to have a go at those whose opinions differ from theirs.
Surely as it is an open forum everyone is entitled to their say....it certainly makes for interesting reading.
So PLEASE can you agree to disagree without slagging each other and give those of us who would like to make our minds up a chance to do so without the animosity.
Many thanks

changilass
30-Jul-06, 13:22
Very well said:D

brokencross
30-Jul-06, 13:29
I agree.....everyone is entitled to their opinion.

That opinion should be expressed as succinctly as possible and then be debated openly without resorting to personality/character assassination of the person making the point.

Reasoned, sensible debate should be the order of the day.

Gleber2
30-Jul-06, 13:43
Here here. We debate the impossibility of world peace and in some of our posting illustrate why world peace will never be obtained. We are at each others's virtual throats at the drop of a disagreeing word. Petulance and agression we can do without. Each of us is entitled to our opinions and we should be able to express them without the backbiting nastiness that frequently invades the threads.

Rheghead
30-Jul-06, 14:58
I realise that I will probably get shot down in flames for this. (And yes the choice of words was intentional!)
I feel unable to contribute to a few of the threads currently running on the forum,due I admit to lack of knowledge, however that hasn't stopped me from finding them interesting.What I find disappointing is the way those taking part feel it necessary to have a go at those whose opinions differ from theirs.
Surely as it is an open forum everyone is entitled to their say....it certainly makes for interesting reading.
So PLEASE can you agree to disagree without slagging each other and give those of us who would like to make our minds up a chance to do so without the animosity.
Many thanks

I agree, there is a definite minority on the Org who always default to trading personal insults when they lose the arguement, it is pathetic really.

MadPict
30-Jul-06, 15:02
I agree, there is a definite minority on the Org who always default to trading personal insults when they lose the arguement, it is pathetic really.

Want to talk windfarms old chap?....;) :p

Rheghead
30-Jul-06, 15:05
Want to talk windfarms old chap?

Ah the owld days eh? Let they not be forgotten!:Razz

MadPict
30-Jul-06, 15:10
And on this note I will pause as my post count reads 666 - the number of the Beast......

sjwahwah
30-Jul-06, 15:11
or.. they default to flooding people who disagree with them pm's one after another.. after another... all nite don't they Rheghead??.. childish harassment.. then they follow these people around the entire forum arguing with this person no matter the subject!

Gleber2
30-Jul-06, 15:19
Want to talk windfarms old chap?.... :p

And Christian and spiritual etc.:roll:

Rheghead
30-Jul-06, 15:24
then they follow these people around the entire forum arguing with this person no matter the subject!

Errr, you haven't posted on this thread before until you felt to respond in your usual non-respectful way. So from where I am sitting you are the one who goes around following me and arguing a pointless discussion. You need to practice what you preach. At least I try to argue a point instead of skirting around conspiracy theories. :roll:

sjwahwah
30-Jul-06, 15:27
well.. no actually.. before ANYONE posted I told sapphire it was a great post! ask her or him? they could not be more right. so, what about all the pestering pms?????? what's your excuse?

sjwahwah
30-Jul-06, 15:29
actually.. when it really comes down to it.. it's hardly the first time we've disagreed rheghead.. but, I don't pester you with pm's.. in fact I recall I gave you some good advice for your japanese garden the other day.. didn't i?... just cause we disagree don't mean I don't like ya and we probably DO agree on some things!

Gleber2
This is a thread to promote peace and harmony and the usual suspects are at each other's petulant throats again. For Pete's sake grow up.

Rheghead
well.. no actually.. before ANYONE posted I told sapphire it was a great post! ask her or him? they could not be more right. so, what about all the pestering pms?????? what's your excuse?

My pms were pointless because your posts are pointless or rather they are just conspiracy theories. I wanted you to feel what I feel.

I feel you are drawing me into a pointless discussion...........AGAIN.

sjwahwah
30-Jul-06, 15:55
no this a thread about agreeing to disagree which could possibly be constructive in paving the way for cooperativeness and openminded critical thinking on this board..

if peace and harmony requires everyone to become sycophantic sheep in fear of pestering pm's or ridicule & insults or having to pm in secret to discuss certain issues then the peace and harmony on this board will be a mere illusion....:roll:

Gleber2
30-Jul-06, 16:12
if peace and harmony requires everyone to become sycophantic sheep in fear of pestering pm's or ridicule & insults or having to pm in secret to discuss certain issues then the peace and harmony on this board will be a mere illusion....:roll:

The Sycophantic Sheep..... What a great name for a band.
Peace and harmony in this forum or throughout the universe will continue to be an illusion until yourself and obvious others bury your rampant egos in the nearest dung heap and learn the meaning of the word humility.

sapphire
30-Jul-06, 16:15

I am happy to confirm that you did!

Tickle
30-Jul-06, 16:19
bury your rampant egos in the nearest dung heap.

[lol] That's the funniest thing i've heard in a long time. Way to go Gleber2.[lol]

sapphire
30-Jul-06, 16:19
This is a thread to promote peace and harmony and the usual suspects are at each other's petulant throats again. For Pete's sake grow up.

Thank you Gleber 2.I did hope that perhaps we could get everyone discussing their differences amiably instead of the usual, but pehaps that will be a leap too far for some....I for one live in hope!! :D

sjwahwah
30-Jul-06, 16:24
The Sycophantic Sheep..... What a great name for a band.
Peace and harmony in this forum or throughout the universe will continue to be an illusion until yourself and obvious others bury your rampant egos in the nearest dung heap and learn the meaning of the word humility.

well that's great.. no cobbles for the road of peace and harmony in here from yourself then. great!

canuck
30-Jul-06, 18:01
And on this note I will pause as my post count reads 666 - the number of the Beast......

Good catch MadPict!

As for windfarms, I just picked up a supply of Canadian stamps. We have pictures on ours. You can still get Elizabeth, but we also go for variety. Anyway, there it was, a photo of the windfarm just outside of Fort MacLeod, Alberta. Music lovers will remember this as the birthplace of Joni Mitchell. I will remember it as the birthplace of my son. Out there at the sacred place of Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump is the wind farm. So I will jump into a windfarm argument from the side of its destruction of a spiritually holy place.
Are we on?

MadPict, maintain that holy number just as long as you want to.

Bingobabe
30-Jul-06, 18:18
Nothing wrong with disagreeing with someone that,s what life all about a diffrence of opion. If we all agreed on the same thing how boring that would be so i agree to disagree :eek:

Kaishowing
30-Jul-06, 18:30
Perhaps if all the passion was reserved for the arument/debate, instead of resorting to personal attacks directed to the poster of a differing point of view?....and I'll admit to being guilty of this.....very seldom, but I've done it.:eek:
<runs for foxhole making sure the chinstrap of the tin hat is secure!>

DW
30-Jul-06, 18:43
As someone who has recently fallen into the trap of a slanging match with someone hell bent on personal attacks, I can confirm it is nothing but a waste of space and very boring for others to read.

It also greatly detracts from the point of the thread; I agree that we should all be able to express our opinions even when they are highly critical and pointed.

I feel when threads descend into personal comments it is time to 'hush up'.

Nello
30-Jul-06, 19:43
Each of us is entitled to our opinions and we should be able to express them without the backbiting nastiness that frequently invades the threads.[/quote]

In the light of the comments you aimed at me on another thread thats hilarious .. :lol:

But its all part of the forum, its a discussion forum for petes sake, if we all felt the same and got on it would be an agreement forum !!

I think its ok to have the odd mild dust up as long as it doesnt fester, say your piece, contest things that are said but dont hold a grudge .. MOVE ON !!

Opinions are like a certain part of your anatomy .. Everyone has one.

Gleber2
30-Jul-06, 20:00
In the light of the comments you aimed at me on another thread thats hilarious .. :lol:

These comments weren't nasty, they were honest.:cool:

pultneytooner
30-Jul-06, 20:03
Right, with saphires permission, let's use this thread to kick the cyber bejesus outta one another and leave the other threads for adult conversation.;)

sapphire
30-Jul-06, 20:08
Right, with saphires permission, let's use this thread to kick the cyber bejesus outta one another and leave the other threads for adult conversation.;)

My permission is not required..but what would it achieve?...Me thinks that there is an excess of testoterone around these parts!!!! lol ;)

Gleber2
30-Jul-06, 20:09

Afew weeks ago I posted a thread with just that in mind and it was pulled pronto.

Bingobabe
30-Jul-06, 20:31
I totally disagree with personal attacks it,s below the belt and uncalled for it,s only childish posters that resort to such belittleing attacks on a persons character. Who is anyone on here to judge!!!!Dont through stones at glass houses sooo to speak.

Lolabelle
31-Jul-06, 09:39
:D It also represents man under sin, and therefore some say the beast or the harlot are represented in the catholic church??????

Saveman
31-Jul-06, 18:10
The Org is great for practicing your debating skills on any subject you care to mention......though we've lost some notables along the way......

obiron
31-Jul-06, 18:15
The Org is great for practicing your debating skills on any subject you care to mention......though we've lost some notables along the way......

its interesting on this site you learn something new nearly every day.
Maybe if some people stuck to the rules we wouldnt lose them.

Moira
01-Aug-06, 01:36

Not quite sure if this is true, Saveman. I've often put together a reply to some of the posts here & then "chickened out" from actually posting because I know the replies would become "personal". I don't think the "notables" we've lost along the way lacked debating skills but I do think some of them had far-flung or politically incorrect ideas inappropriate to a public forum.

I've had my eyes opened on a number of topics here on the Org - thanks to the posters here. The Mods here do not have an easy job but I, too, have been frustrated by their decision to suspend posters on more than one occasion.

Overall, I would agree to disagree - each & everyone's viewpoint is valid & valued - I would call it progress - no doubt someone will disagree ;)

squidge
01-Aug-06, 11:14
I try not to get personal but if you are directly challenging another persons point of view or criticising their method of debate sometimes you have to target that particular person. I do try to target their arguments rather than the person themselves but i am sure i dont always get it right Where i think a post is really stupid or very out of order i have used both the rep system and pms to tell the person concerned - they dont always like it but hey... better that than a slagging in an open forum if you ask me.

Ricco
01-Aug-06, 14:23
Personal debate and the right to have one's say are fundamental to our way of life. However, there are ways of carrying out a disagreement that can raise friction and there are ways that do not. Most of us can disgaree in a manner that allows debate and didactic opinions, but there are one or two who just fire off a salvo of abusive rhetoric that can be hurtful and many of us find disagreeable. I have witnessed one or two families around one of the large estates here where I live that speak to each other in a similar vein and I must say it is extremely unpleasant and unecessary.

I like this org and forum because of its tone and content. It is like one big happy family...lets all work together to keep it pleasant. :Razz