PDA

View Full Version : Orkney

billmoseley
18-Oct-10, 11:49
this has all probably been said before but i just want to say. what a beautiful place the Orkney,s are. we just spent a week over there our first time. a place of beauty and so much history must go again some time :D

_Ju_
18-Oct-10, 12:13
It most certainly is! And not very different to Caithness. I am sure that the pre-historical historical finds, so frequent in Orkney and so well diplayed for the public, also exist here. I am also sure that alot more could be done to show casethe vicking heritage. But here they are difficult to find. Not displayed. Not as well (dare I say it?) exploited. There are alot of people passing through to Orkney. Wouldn't developing tourist attractions of historical significance keep them here a little while, while at the same time trapping some tourist pounds???

George Brims
18-Oct-10, 17:25
Ju I've been saying that since my first visit to Orkney in 1966! It seemed to me that every bump in the ground had a cast iron National Trust sign in Orkney, whereas in Caithness practically nothing was publicised except the Camster Cairns.

billmoseley
18-Oct-10, 17:40
well said Ju i think you have a very good point Caithness and Sutherland have so much to offer

Gronnuck
18-Oct-10, 20:28
Orkney has the benefit of its own council and tourist office and they do a brilliant job of promoting the islands.:D
Caithness on the other hand is part of Highland Council and dependent upon the will of staff who know little about the county its history or its attractions. :~(
Put it this way, if you wanted visitors to spend money in an area you were responsible for why would you send them over 80 miles away?:confused

Gizmo
18-Oct-10, 20:49
My old job used to take me to Orkney every week for a period of 9yrs, it was a delivery job, so it used to take me all over the mainland of Orkney, and i loved every single minute of it. It's a beautiful island, and the people are some of the nicest and funniest you will ever meet :)

bagpuss
18-Oct-10, 23:00
Local businesses in Orkney do signiicantly better than small business does in Caithness.

That might be down to tourism and people supporting what they have.

oldmarine
19-Oct-10, 19:19
Enjoyed my visits to Orkney. Traveled Orkney with my family when we all traveled throughout England and Scotland. My family likewise enjoyed their visit to Orkney.

John Little
19-Oct-10, 19:40
I remember well my own surprise when I saw Orkney - we never went over when I was a kid so I did in 1992. I expected heather and moor - and found soft rolling green pasture with coos.

Beautiful place, stunning seascapes and skies; clear water and good people.

I'll go back.

ducati
19-Oct-10, 21:22
Stunning contrast between Orkney and Shetland is what surprised me. For some reason I'd thought they would be similar.

Incidentally, if a tourist is interested in Archaeology, they would get a 1:40000 scale map. Mine, of the Bower area, shows about 20 cairns, brocks, mounds and standing stones in an area approx 10 by 15 Kilometres.

And unlike (some) on Orkney, they are all free to visit :D

_Ju_
19-Oct-10, 21:46
if you go to Orkney out of season even Skara Brae is free. :)

David Banks
19-Oct-10, 21:52
Orkney has the benefit of its own council and tourist office and they do a brilliant job of promoting the islands.:D
Caithness on the other hand is part of Highland Council and dependent upon the will of staff who know little about the county its history or its attractions. :~(
Put it this way, if you wanted visitors to spend money in an area you were responsible for why would you send them over 80 miles away?:confused

Being a long time away, maybe I should keep my mouth shut. Caithness at one time had its own council, and I do not remember them doing much for tourism except the Dounreay dome and John O'Groats.
Was anything ever done about the Pict houses near Reiss? We used to climb over a fence and have a free look on occasions.

Why don't some of you go after the Highland council to "digitus extracticus?"