PDA

View Full Version : Saying Hello

paul
30-Jul-06, 12:09
Just thought i would post to say hello,will be moving to thurso/dounreay area in Jan 2007 from yorkshire in england.

Looking forward to meeting new people and seeing new places.

Any info about renting/buying,moving to the area from people like myself but who have done it already,would be very welcome.

thanks

paul.

sjwahwah
30-Jul-06, 12:12
hope you enjoy your move to Caithness Paul! :)

changilass
30-Jul-06, 12:13
Where abouts in Yorkshire are you Paul, I spent quite a lot of time as a kid down there.

You will be made to feel welcome by the majority of folk, both on the org and within the community when you move.:D

Just noticed you already say you are from Bradford, not on the ball today, sorry

Gleber2
30-Jul-06, 12:22
Although my better half is from Lancashire I have no antipathy towards Yorkshire. Welcome when you come to God's chosen cesspit.:D

Loafer
30-Jul-06, 15:49
What area/part of Bradford? My good lady is from Wilsden.

Are you going to be working at the power plant??!!

The Loafer

badger
30-Jul-06, 17:41
Welcome Paul - you'll love it up here. Lots of coast with lovely, empty beaches; amazing views and huge skies; friendly people (mostly :roll: ); still space to move around although it's beginning to get crowded in places; free parking still although maybe not for much longer. I moved from England and rented for 6 months before buying - definitely recommend this if you can as it's so hard househunting from a distance. Don't expect house buying to be simpler than in England, it's not - just different. Also as far as I know there are no surveyors so look well before you buy. Good luck.

fred
30-Jul-06, 18:27
Just thought i would post to say hello,will be moving to thurso/dounreay area in Jan 2007 from yorkshire in england.

It's fine for the first few weeks then the Karachi curry cravings kick in.

Woolie
30-Jul-06, 22:04
hi paul i moved from near london with my family 5 years ago and can say its the best thing i ever did should have done it years ago the poeple r mostly firendly and if u have kids it is the safest place i know to bring them up.I would rent toocause buying is different here not like england good luck.

Fran
30-Jul-06, 22:48
welcome Paul, you'll be pleased to know there are a lot of yorkshire people in caithness. i moved from england many years ago. plenty of property rented just now, see on this site, and houses for sale, much cheaper than yorkshire.

Rheghead
31-Jul-06, 00:28
Welcome to the forum Paul, I'm from Red Rose country myself but we can let bygones be bygones eh?:D I will admit to tracing my ancestry to the Halifax area to 1665, so that makes me a white roser I guess?

I look forward to more seeing more of you on the forum and I hope you have a smooth flit. Please pm me if you want the real lowdown...[para]

paul
31-Jul-06, 08:06
What area/part of Bradford? My good lady is from Wilsden.

Are you going to be working at the power plant??!!

The Loafer

i am from the wrose side of bradford,not that far from wilsden(nice place wilsden).

and yes i will be working at the plant :D

thanks to all for the messages of support and friendlyness,looking forward to coming to such a beautifull part of the world(bradford is a real dump now)

Ricco
31-Jul-06, 09:13
Welcome to the org, Paul. :D

mooncat
31-Jul-06, 09:34
Youll be glad to move up here also as the people are so generous, unlike the tightest people on earth ( yorkshire folk ) I remember being a barman in Leeds when I was at college and a certain bloke used to measure how much bitter he got in his pint..!!! a ducks chuff comes to mind.,... anyway welcome.. 8-)

Rheghead
31-Jul-06, 12:05
The Yorkshireman's Motto.

See all,
hear all,
and say nowt.
Eat all,
drink all,
and pay nowt.
If yer can do 'owt for n'owt then do it for thi' sen.

Sorry Paul:D

changilass
31-Jul-06, 12:40
Youll be glad to move up here also as the people are so generous, unlike the tightest people on earth ( yorkshire folk ) I remember being a barman in Leeds when I was at college and a certain bloke used to measure how much bitter he got in his pint..!!! a ducks chuff comes to mind.,... anyway welcome.. 8-)

Not tight, just canny, getting what they pay for lol

changilass
31-Jul-06, 12:43
The Yorkshireman's Motto.

See all,
hear all,
and say nowt.
Eat all,
drink all,
and pay nowt.
If yer can do 'owt for n'owt then do it for thi' sen.

Sorry Paul:D

You forgot to add:-

Accept owt for nowt bar blows:lol:

paul
31-Jul-06, 18:08
LOL

not all us yorkshire folk are as tight as a duck's ass.....:eek:

some of us are really nice people :)

looking forward to meeting all the nice people of caithness when i get up there in jan....should be quite balmy....not!

mr do dar
31-Jul-06, 22:44
hello paul .... i come from south yorkshire myself . i moved to the wick side of caithness 11 years ago then moved back for 3 years then i moved back 11 months ago . SOME of the people are ok and nice to speak to . there are loads of houses to rent and buy and the rent is a quarter of the price your paying in yorkshire . are you bringing a family with you or are you a single man ? ..... hope to see you about once your here and settled . :)

mr do dar
31-Jul-06, 22:47
hello paul .... i come from south yorkshire myself . i moved to the wick side of caithness 11 years ago then moved back for 3 years then i moved back 11 months ago . SOME of the people are ok and nice to speak to . there are loads of houses to rent and buy and the rent is a quarter of the price your paying in yorkshire . are you bringing a family with you or are you a single man ? ..... hope to see you about once your here and settled . :)

paul
31-Jul-06, 23:54
nah,no family..the wife ran off with a guy from an internet chat room about 2 years ago so i will be on my own for a while...hoping the girlfriend will follow me up later in the year..but dont know as yet.....i get the impression that some of the locals dont take to kindly to outsiders moving into their neck of the woods and diluting the strain ;)

pultneytooner
31-Jul-06, 23:58
As there seems to be a lot of new members introducing themselves to the org, how about having an introductions section?

Rheghead
01-Aug-06, 00:29
i get the impression that some of the locals dont take to kindly to outsiders moving into their neck of the woods and diluting the strain ;)

Only on the Eastside where they actually need any genetic variation.

Fran
01-Aug-06, 02:09
nah,no family..the wife ran off with a guy from an internet chat room about 2 years ago so i will be on my own for a while...hoping the girlfriend will follow me up later in the year..but dont know as yet.....i get the impression that some of the locals dont take to kindly to outsiders moving into their neck of the woods and diluting the strain ;)

there seems to be a lot of people running off with people they meet on internet chat rooms, even in wick.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
01-Aug-06, 17:57

If you make yourself look and sound like an outsider,then in all places thats all ye'll be.I LURVE Caithness,the folk are ace!!!Buy a beer,have a laugh and ye'll be alright!!!!!!! :lol:Welcome to the org,Paul.

Cocoa
01-Aug-06, 18:41
Hi Paul and welcome! I understand how it feels to move here from England - I came up with my family in Sep 2000 - so don't feel alone! I hope you enjoy your time at Dounreay (I've worked there too), and choose your house in Caithness very CAREFULLY.........:eek:

Cocoa
x

stekar
01-Aug-06, 21:16
We moved up last August from Yorkshire. You will not regret it, much better way of life up here.
Btw, the winter wasn't as bad as we'd expected, but apparently it was very tame by usual standards.

Wish
01-Aug-06, 21:43
Hi Paul and welcome! I understand how it feels to move here from England - I came up with my family in Sep 2000 - so don't feel alone! I hope you enjoy your time at Dounreay (I've worked there too), and choose your house in Caithness very CAREFULLY.........:eek:

Cocoa
x

Oo please elaborate I need to know everything warts and all, in case I ever get my wish come true:confused

tiggertoo
01-Aug-06, 21:50
i yoor rite alot o locals dinny take to kindly to white settlers movin in all that is happening is ur escaping from one rat race and creating abigger one here hooses are getting thrown up at a fast rate, new shoppin stores attracting more setlers to move to this safe haven for oor kids pushin us locals oot, its like a new highland clearance, eventually they'll be more and harder drugs, peodphiles will see this as a place to come and prey on oor children as we wont know oor neighbours , in years to come you wont let your child oot o site , its the only space left in the country and its geeting filled up in twenty, thirtyyears they'll be a big differance in caithness , i noticed on ur thread alot o replies were from incomers, welcome to NEW ENGLAND

changilass
01-Aug-06, 22:04
Happy Yorkshire Day Paul and any other Yorkies on the board.

Hope you all have your white roses:D

pultneytooner
01-Aug-06, 22:10
nah,no family..the wife ran off with a guy from an internet chat room about 2 years ago so i will be on my own for a while...hoping the girlfriend will follow me up later in the year..but dont know as yet.....i get the impression that some of the locals dont take to kindly to outsiders moving into their neck of the woods and diluting the strain ;)Fur yew ta get attair new house yew gotta go see Bubba bout a loan, Bubba's a good ole boy.
I ain't never seed da big city, y'all must be from some farn of country.
Waid'll ya'll see ower new shoppin' sinner'.
Lord willing and the creeks don't rise, I sure do hope to see that Eifel Tire in Paris sometime.
We don't tik too kindly to folks comin' up these here parts dilutin' tha strain an' all.
Anyhows, gotsta goes, We's havin' kumpany for supper.
Ya'll tik care nouw, ya hear.

Gleber2
01-Aug-06, 22:16
I'm still considered am incomer and we've been here since 1680.

pultneytooner
01-Aug-06, 22:21
I'm still considered am incomer and we've been here since 1680. Ach, ye choost missed hid by a year, 1679 wiz, incummer acceptance year.;)

connieb19
01-Aug-06, 22:24
there seems to be a lot of people running off with people they meet on internet chat rooms, even in wick.Oh Fran, tell us more..lol :eek:

Gleber2
01-Aug-06, 22:53
Ach, ye choost missed hid by a year, 1679 wiz, incummer acceptance year.;)

Darn!! Weel at's e' story o' ma life.

paul
01-Aug-06, 23:54
You lot are rajed....love it cant wait to get up there...everyone is real friendly like......as for buying beer i can do that so long as you have tetleys ;) but i doubt it somehow :)

see you all soon.

P.

Antediluvian
01-Aug-06, 23:58
You lot are rajed....love it cant wait to get up there...everyone is real friendly like......as for buying beer i can do that so long as you have tetleys ;) but i doubt it somehow :)

see you all soon.

P.

Well you could have it a bag or a can. I have seen it on tap, the beer version that is, am just trying to remember where.. Wick was one of the few places in the UK that used to sell Diet Dr Pepper. Its all exotic up here, all to do with the trade routes!!

Enjoy your trip up, after Inverness only 50% of the sharp bends signs are actually important, I'll leave you to find out which 50%, although would believe the ones climbing berridale!

Fran
02-Aug-06, 02:20
Oh Fran, tell us more..lol :eek:

Have you not seen, or heard of, some men and women in wick who have left their partners after finding a new one on the internet,.......what can i say !!!! :lol:

pultneytooner
02-Aug-06, 07:31
Have you not seen, or heard of, some men and women in wick who have left their partners after finding a new one on the internet,.......what can i say !!!! :lol:
Nothing without consulting your lawyer first.....[lol]

grantyg
02-Aug-06, 13:19
Blimey more yorkies on this board!!!

I`m from Richmond originally - the real richmond not that fake one near london!

Where as thee bin since a saw thee?

By the way if you get homesick my sister is a cracking artist and her prints are cheap!
www.gilpinsmartarts.fsnet.co.uk (http://www.gilpinsmartarts.fsnet.co.uk)

-> instead of the orger near our name can a select few of us have the rating Pudding or yorkshire pudding!

Yvonne
02-Aug-06, 19:48
You'll need your high factor sun protection lotion up here as the UV is pretty fierce due to hole in the ozone layer directly above us. The light is very sharp and penetrating, but September is a good month with lots of mellow evening sunshine and don't be put off by the definition of a Caithness mannie bent double and grimacing against the wind because a lot of the time it's true. Happy house hunting!

crystal
02-Aug-06, 19:50

Looking forward to meeting new people and seeing new places.

Any info about renting/buying,moving to the area from people like myself but who have done it already,would be very welcome.

thanks

paul. hope your move is ok and u feel very welcome good luck with it all:)

paul
03-Aug-06, 08:16
thanks to all once again...time is getting closer...and Jan doesnt seem that far away now :D