PDA

View Full Version : Charity offers UK drug addicts £200 to be sterilised.

Kodiak
18-Oct-10, 11:17
A charity is offering Drug Addicts in the UK £200 if they get Steralised. Project Prevention is offering to pay £200 to any drug user in London, Glasgow, Bristol, Leicester and parts of Wales who agrees to be operated on.

The only thing is that this is an American Charity and not a UK One. I think that they should tend to their own Drug Addicts in the USA First. I find the whole idea of trying to bribe drug addicts, who more than like do not know really understand what they are agreeing to, quite offensive. Who is to say how many will get clean and say 5 or 10 years later want to start a family but would be unable to, due to the result of what this so called charity has done.

Read more at link :-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11545519?ref=nf

Anfield
18-Oct-10, 18:45
What a great idea, not.
I think it should be extended so that £200 is paid to the following groups of people to stop them breeding.
Tory voters and their sycophant lib/dem counterparts
Anyone who voted for Blair's "New" Labour
Racists
Animal abusers
The Windsor family
Everton supporters
Volvo drivers (sorry Beckisman)
People who tow caravans or drive Motorhomes

bekisman
18-Oct-10, 18:53
What a great idea, not.
I think it should be extended so that £200 is paid to the following groups of people to stop them breeding.
Tory voters and their sycophant lib/dem counterparts
Anyone who voted for Blair's "New" Labour
Racists
Animal abusers
The Windsor family
Everton supporters
Volvo drivers (sorry Beckisman)
People who tow caravans or drive Motorhomes

Tut tut, too late - got spayed 30 years ago...Still got me V70 though - never mind, can't drive (licence revoked)!;)

Logical
18-Oct-10, 20:08
This charity is essentially saying the children of addicts are as good as never born.

Seems like one long ethical debate to me.

spurtle
18-Oct-10, 20:23
My main concern for people having children while addicted to strong drugs is that during pregnancy the child can not develop properly, for that reason I think this isn't such a bad idea, if they are willing to have the operation and it's not forced.

neilsermk1
18-Oct-10, 20:57
Darwin's theory at work again

ducati
18-Oct-10, 22:01
We had this thread before, when this Charity first expressed their intention to come to the UK.

It turned into a bit of a brawl :eek:

bagpuss
18-Oct-10, 22:12
essentially this is Eugenics. The Swedish government piloted the idea by sterilising disabled people in the 1930's, shortly before Hitler cottoned on to the idea.

If the volunteer who took the cash has fertility problems, it might be money for nothing- but otherwise it implies that those 'selected' are unfit to procreate. Addicts and drunks first- then the slippery slope to other groups in society.......

bekisman
18-Oct-10, 22:23
My main concern for people having children while addicted to strong drugs is that during pregnancy the child can not develop properly, for that reason I think this isn't such a bad idea, if they are willing to have the operation and it's not forced.

Tend to agree..
She tells her critics: "If you believe these women should continue to take drugs and have children, then step up in line and adopt their babies". It's that simple.'
Incidentally blokes can get their op reversed - dificult but not impossible.

squidge
18-Oct-10, 23:04
Drug addicts and alcoholics may very well be making this decision at the lowest point in their lives when they are their most vulnerable. This organisation is taking advantage of that to further their own aims. Eugenics is the right phrase to use. It's immoral and unethical and assumes people are unable to change.

changilass
18-Oct-10, 23:16
Whilst I understand the reasons for not doing this, What about the kids?

How do you prevent 1 person from spoiling the lives of a number of people form birth due to feotal alchohol/drug syndrome.

Whilst that 1 person may be at their lowest ebb and may even come off the drug of choice in the future, what hope do the children born to this individual have.

How about tying tubes of woman as this is reversable and only undoing it if said person has been clean for a set amount of time.

Surely the rights of the kids have to come into it, and how must the mothers feel when they do get clean to realise what they have done to these kids in the first place.

The Angel Of Death
19-Oct-10, 08:58
£200 what a waste of money !!! using the hillbilly vasectomy works out far cheaper

After their 11th child, an Alabama couple decided that was enough as they could not afford a larger bed.

So the husband went to his veterinarian and told him that he and his cousin didn't want to have anymore children.

The doctor told him that there was a procedure called a vasectomy that could fix the problem but that it was expensive. "A less costly alternative," said the doctor, "is to go home, get a cherry bomb, (fireworks are legal in Alabama) light it, put it in a beer can, then hold the can up to your ear and count to 10."

The Alabamian said to the doctor, "I may not be the smartest tool in the shed, but I don't see how putting a cherry bomb in a beer can next to my ear is going to help me."

"Trust me," said the doctor.

So the man went home, lit a cherry bomb and put it in a beer can. He held the can up to his ear and began to count...

"1"

"2"

"3"

"4"

"5"

At which point he paused, placed the beer can between his legs and resumed counting on his other hand.

Commore
19-Oct-10, 11:04
tut tut, too late - got spayed 30 years ago...still got me v70 though - never mind, can't drive (licence revoked)!;)

you two are a hoot!
;)

oldmarine
19-Oct-10, 19:12
A charity is offering Drug Addicts in the UK £200 if they get Steralised. Project Prevention is offering to pay £200 to any drug user in London, Glasgow, Bristol, Leicester and parts of Wales who agrees to be operated on.

The only thing is that this is an American Charity and not a UK One. I think that they should tend to their own Drug Addicts in the USA First. I find the whole idea of trying to bribe drug addicts, who more than like do not know really understand what they are agreeing to, quite offensive. Who is to say how many will get clean and say 5 or 10 years later want to start a family but would be unable to, due to the result of what this so called charity has done.

Read more at link :-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11545519?ref=nf

Kodiak: I agree with your comment that the USA should tend to their own Drug Addicts first. Goodness knows we have many more than any country should have to tend with.

Vistravi
19-Oct-10, 20:14
This charity is essentially saying the children of addicts are as good as never born.

Seems like one long ethical debate to me.

No it is preventing drug addicts from abusing their children. So many children are abused at the hands of their addict parents that this would be a good thing. Why should a child be brought into this world to be hurt, neglected and used as a punchbag. Some cases these children do not surrive their parents cruelty. Eveyone deserves a chance at life but if we could prevent children being born to be hurt at the hands of who created them then isn't that a good thing?

Every child deserves love, happiness, to feel safe and to be well fed. This proposed idea would make sure that there were some children that were meant for a life without theses essential rights to not suffer from it.

For me personally this principal of the idea is a good one.

Vistravi
19-Oct-10, 20:16
Whilst I understand the reasons for not doing this, What about the kids?

How do you prevent 1 person from spoiling the lives of a number of people form birth due to feotal alchohol/drug syndrome.

Whilst that 1 person may be at their lowest ebb and may even come off the drug of choice in the future, what hope do the children born to this individual have.

How about tying tubes of woman as this is reversable and only undoing it if said person has been clean for a set amount of time.

Surely the rights of the kids have to come into it, and how must the mothers feel when they do get clean to realise what they have done to these kids in the first place.

Exactly. its for the children and the unborn children of addicts that this has come around for.

Vistravi
19-Oct-10, 20:17
Drug addicts and alcoholics may very well be making this decision at the lowest point in their lives when they are their most vulnerable. This organisation is taking advantage of that to further their own aims. Eugenics is the right phrase to use. It's immoral and unethical and assumes people are unable to change.

Unfortunatly like all forms of abuse its too little too late when the abuser reforms as the damage is done.

balto
19-Oct-10, 20:19
a similar idea would be good in third world countries, to avoid more babies being born only to suffer. it isnt fair that they have no money, have to rely on donations to help them live, and yet more defencless children are born only to suffer a long painful death, wrong so wrong. but again this is just my opinion.

squidge
19-Oct-10, 20:34
Unfortunatly like all forms of abuse its too little too late when the abuser reforms as the damage is done.

But at this point the addict is not a parent. Many people struggling with drug and alcohol addiction recover and live useful lives. This scheme assumes they will never be a useful member of society their whole lives and should therefore be denied the opportunity to have their own family. Dont be fooled into thinking its about the babies. It isnt. It's just an extension of the 'they are a waste of clothes and should be left to rot' argument. People can and do change all the time. Organisations like this one are taking advantage of sometimes desperate, vulnerable people. It should not be allowed.