PDA

View Full Version : Taxi Wick Airport to Thurso

susan.leith
17-Oct-10, 18:12
Hi folks
Can anyone give me a rough idea of the price for a taxi from Wick Airport to Thurso?
Thanks in anticipation!

upolian
17-Oct-10, 18:18
I have no idea,give millers taxi's a phone :) 01955 606464

LMS
17-Oct-10, 18:33
Make sure you use a Wick taxi, they are much cheaper. Try Johnnie's 01955 605041

theone
17-Oct-10, 18:35
£20-25 if not on the meter.

Kodiak
17-Oct-10, 18:45
I had to get a Taxi from Wick to Thurso so I thought I would get a Wick Taxi as I was sure they were cheaper than getting a Thurso Taxi to come on out to pick me up.

I got Jimmy's Taxi and the drive was good as he was a safe driver but when I arrived at my Destination in Thurso he charged me £27.00. I thought it was a lot but I could do nothing but pay him.

So not all Wick Taxi's are cheaper then Thurso Taxi's. My recommendation is to get a Price Before you get in any Taxi if you are going for a long run.

jac1791
17-Oct-10, 18:49
Millers Cabs 606464 are the cheapest.

Logical
17-Oct-10, 19:01
I heard that depending on the times you can get charged extortionate rates.

I know that on a Saturday night somebody was charged £60 for a lift to Thurso from Wick - could have just been taxi driver rumours though...

jac1791
17-Oct-10, 19:03
at that price i would want a limo with loads o free champaign!!!!

Dog-eared
17-Oct-10, 19:32
Metered rates go up in price from 10pm Friday until 8 or 10am Monday.

torrie
17-Oct-10, 20:06

I know that on a Saturday night somebody was charged £60 for a lift to Thurso from Wick - could have just been taxi driver rumours though...

That is a extortionate amount...was that the amount on the meter..?

pink
17-Oct-10, 20:07
I was £22 for a 10 mile trip on a saturday night , it was a thurso taxi . Never again !!

onecalledk
17-Oct-10, 20:11
prices seem reasonable for the amount of distance covered. In Inverness a taxi from the town centre on a saturday evening for 2 miles is hitting £12 if not more now. 10 miles for £22 sounds very reasonable ......

Scarybiscuits03
17-Oct-10, 20:42
I was £22 for a 10 mile trip on a saturday night , it was a thurso taxi . Never again !!

I pay a tenner on a Sat night for a 4 mile journey so that'll be about right

upolian
17-Oct-10, 20:47

That is indeed true!

pink
17-Oct-10, 20:59
to be honest last long trip i took in a taxi was near 10 year ago when a trip to wick cost ya 20 quid so when i was only going half that distance last year i did get a bit o a shock, all rates have gone way WAY up since then ,petrol and such like so maybe it shouldnt . it does change things though .

bridgeend
17-Oct-10, 21:04
I allways use Johnnies Taxis first class service and helpful drivers.
Used Millers once Never again the driver drove far too fast and used his mobile when driving.

northener
17-Oct-10, 22:56
Taxis never have been 'cheap', the guys have to charge enough to make a living.

Meter rates on a Saturday night Thurso -Wick will soon put you into the £45-60 zone. Reasonable fare, really.

lasher
17-Oct-10, 23:15
Taxis never have been 'cheap', the guys have to charge enough to make a living.

Meter rates on a Saturday night Thurso -Wick will soon put you into the £45-60 zone. Reasonable fare, really.
You got to be joking thats a rip off!!

Scarybiscuits03
17-Oct-10, 23:19
I once paid £100 to get home from Inverness.......would pay more than that to leave Wick!!! LOL....Sorry only kidding! I wouldn't expect a charge of more than £35........isn't there a train????...stay up long enough and catch that in the morn instead!!

mums angels
17-Oct-10, 23:21
My hubby had to get one at 6 am one morn to catch a flight and it cost £56 i think it was with ormlie but cant be sure , needless to say since then either i get up with the 4 kids and drive him or my Dad drives him through its a total rip off

Scarybiscuits03
17-Oct-10, 23:25
At that price, for a regular journey it'd be cheaper to buy an old banger and leave it there til he returns!

jac1791
17-Oct-10, 23:27
Millers Cabs dont use meters, iv had them pick me up from Thurso at 3am on a sunday morning and its only cost £25, so between 4 of us that was less than a round o drinks each!!!!

Kevin Milkins
18-Oct-10, 01:02
I think I may have said this before, but I will say it again, "something usually only seems expensive if you see it cheaper somewhere else".

We tend not to look at what represents good value for money. I would say a taxi to Thurso from Wick would be reasonable value for money when you consider the time and costs involved to to taxi firm.

I was in Lidl yesterday and saw long life light bulbs at 50p each, but if you buy 3, they are 30p each, although I didn't actually need any light bulbs I bought six because I thought it seemed very cheap and good value for money. :Razz I then had a look around Homebase and they had the same bulbs for 10p each and felt as if I was being ripped off by Lidl.:confused

I remember when these revolutionary bulbs first came out (with a ten year guarantee) they seemed like very good value at £5-00 pounds each because they need much less power to run them and they last a lot longer.

I think if you had to walk home form Wick to Thurso, £25-00 would seem a bargain.

Dadie
18-Oct-10, 09:46
have you had a look at the bus timetables?
There might be a bus that you can get...even if it means a wee walk to tescos....
Im sure someone else will post a link here...

Logical
18-Oct-10, 12:49
Bus timetables are here: http://www.stagecoachbus.com/GetUpload.ashx?Id=5127 You need a PDF reader to view them though.

Wick to Thurso is service 82 (page 28)

Only £3 from Wick to Thurso. Bargain!

ducati
18-Oct-10, 14:31
Running cost for the car 40 miles at 40p per mile = £16

Say min 1 1/2 hours @ a guess £10 per hour = £15

Business Profit =£29

For an owner driver, a pretty good gig

susan.leith
18-Oct-10, 17:51
Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions - much appreciated.