PDA

View Full Version : Anyone giving blood next Thursday?

Kathy@watten
16-Oct-10, 22:46
Blood donating happening in Wick assembly rooms Thursday 21st, good excuse I find for a wee night on the town and a few wee drams (sociably responsibly I hasten to add) Makes me feel good giving blood, I like the 1/2 a pound lighter bit too...and a cheap night out after....Is anyone else making an event of giving blood? Do folks still get time off work to donate?

orkneycadian
17-Oct-10, 03:22
Last time I did it, all you got was a cup o tea and a biscuit! When did they start dishing out the drams?

Tugmistress
17-Oct-10, 09:44
I tried a few months ago in thurso but they don't want mine as i had a blood transfusion in 1991 :( i used to give blood before that though.

Beat Bug
17-Oct-10, 09:48
In Dublin you used to get Guinness afterwards! Don't know if they still do. But I'll be donating in Wick, even if there's only a cuppa and a biscuit!

annemarie482
17-Oct-10, 10:03
a quick few questions to help those unsure if they can donate.

http://www.blood.co.uk/can-i-give-blood/who-can-give-blood/

mums angels
17-Oct-10, 11:04
Thanks for posting this i wasnt aware they were in wick i take it they wont be in Thurso again as i havnt had a card through the post ? last time i went in Thurso they wouldnt take any because i had a cast on my wrist ...i hadnt realised they wont take blood if you have a cast etc on :( will try and make the effort for then .

LoneSomeDove
17-Oct-10, 11:16
I would love to give blood as i always have in the past but after finding out that the companies that take the blood from you for free then sell it on to the NHS for £134 per unit.[disgust]

This is supposed to be a chance to help out and make sure that they have blood of all types but why the hell should some company make such a profit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11038849

Dadie
17-Oct-10, 13:27
I cant this time...
Hopefully next time Euan will be over a year old and I can give blood again.
Will send hubby as he started giving blood again after the kids arrived!

welsh-witch
17-Oct-10, 14:57
i used to give blood but im not allowed anymore as im always anemic and need the occassional transfussion myself, but my 24 yr old son will be going for the first time instead :Razz

brandy
17-Oct-10, 18:16
cant do it as im diabetic.. but use to before!

Beat Bug
17-Oct-10, 23:19
They take mine, and I'm diabetic. But maybe it's because mine is diet controlled, and I'm not on any meds. for it

brandy
17-Oct-10, 23:20
nope im on insulin and metaformin.. so dont want mine!

NLP
18-Oct-10, 00:25
They won't take mine because of the pills I'm on, another year and I should be off them and be able to give again.

rogermellie
18-Oct-10, 09:29
I would love to give blood as i always have in the past but after finding out that the companies that take the blood from you for free then sell it on to the NHS for £134 per unit.[disgust]

This is supposed to be a chance to help out and make sure that they have blood of all types but why the hell should some company make such a profit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11038849

you seem to have misunderstood this article.

NHSBT are the part of the NHS who deal with supplying blood and organs to the NHS.

they aren't some company taking your blood and making profits from it.
they bill the NHS an internal charge to cover the costs of providing their service.

internal charges between departments are commonplace in big companies, do you think council departments get their bins emptied for free ?

please get the facts before posting stuff which might put potential donors off donating.

Doreen
18-Oct-10, 09:45
Can you give blood if you have celiac disease.