PDA

View Full Version : WHO can run over a cat and NOT know it!!!!!!

suzy
15-Oct-10, 17:01
My son has just buried his beloved cat, some .... person.... ran him over, Can anyone do that and not know it, or are they just heartless or scared to come and tell you, it was just past Keiss heading towards John o Groats, we're all sobbing our eyes out,

changilass
15-Oct-10, 17:09
If it was dark they may have thought it was a rabbit.

As a cat has a tendency to wander, how is someone supposed to know where it belongs to come and tell you.

Even if I knew I had hit a cat, if I was in the car on my own and it was dark, I most certainly would not stop and get out of the car, let alone wander all round the country side trying to find the owners.

annemarie482
15-Oct-10, 17:14
My son has just buried his beloved cat, some .... person.... ran him over, Can anyone do that and not know it, or are they just heartless or scared to come and tell you, it was just past Keiss heading towards John o Groats, we're all sobbing our eyes out,

i'm sorry to hear of your familys loss :(
i'm a keisser and know only too well the speeds the cars fly through at.
i hope it was quick for the puss. x

Kodiak
15-Oct-10, 17:44
I am sorry for your loss and I know how hard it is to lose a loved pet.

On the other hand if the person did realise they had run over a cat where would he start looking for the owner. Did your cat have a collar on and was your name and address on ther collar?

If not the driver would have no idea who the cat belonged to and since cats do cover quite a large area there would be no way he would be able to find the owner.

suzy
15-Oct-10, 17:54
it was this afternoon about 3 - 3.30 so not dark at all. and yes it was quick thank god. there is only us and a neighbour on the other side of the road so he/she could have made a guess to which house to come to, in fact it was my neighbour coming out of his drive that spotted him on the road and came to tell us. Which we are very grateful for, because he might have been run over a few more times if we had not picked him up

dollycat
15-Oct-10, 18:14
The person could have knocked on the closest door as those close by would probably know whose cat it had belonged to. So sorry about your wee cat:(

aurora32
15-Oct-10, 18:35
So sorry for your loss, thoughts and best wishes go to your little boy, its bad enough when they are taken from us by old age and you can prepare for it a bit but when its sudden its far worse. xx

Warm light coming from far below,
Twinkling, sparkling is the candle's glow.
All is well up on the ridge,
The place we know as Rainbow Bridge.
Furbabies sleeping in heaven's light,
Tended by candles in the night.
Peaceful dreams be theirs to keep,
As they slumber in this night so deep.
Hearts on earth that miss them so,
Take comfort in the candle's glow.
Watching for them in skies above,
Bound eternally by a cord of love.

porshiepoo
15-Oct-10, 18:55
So sorry for your loss today. :(

I know I would definitely stop if I thought I'd hit a cat and I know I'd try to look for the owner. In fact I've done exactly that when other people have hit cats and just left them.

cherokee
15-Oct-10, 19:11
The person could have knocked on the closest door as those close by would probably know whose cat it had belonged to. So sorry about your wee cat:(

Oh Suzy I really feel for you and your family !! :(

As dollycat has said, why couldn't the driver have at least made a concerted effort to find the family the wee cat belonged to ?

I came home the other day from town, and on our (1 mile) stretch of road a wee black cat was just sitting at the side of the road, so I immediatley slowed down to a "crawl" incase it would "leap" across the road.......which it actually did !!!! I was so delighted that I'd made the decision to "be careful" !!!

They're someone's pet; so when you see a dog/cat or even a wild rabbit, please try to drive carefully...... :eek:!

teenybash
15-Oct-10, 19:23
How sad that your wee cat is no longer....heartfelt sorrows to yourself and wee boy.....won't say what I think about the driver ass I would be banned.:~(

Dadie
15-Oct-10, 20:10
Sorry for your loss.
Anyone can run over a cat and not stop or report it.
It is not an offence.
They might have known it was a cat or may have thought it was a rabbit.
And if cars do fly through as Annemarie482 says it might have been not safe for them to stop.
Cats do get run over and its sad when you lose a pet...but in the eyes of the law no one has commited a crime.

welsh-witch
15-Oct-10, 21:35
very sorry to hear of your wee cat, the same thing happend to our cat a few years back and nobody stopped to try n find her owner either,and she was just outside my gate, we were very very upset too, its an awful thing to happen n my heart goes out to you all xx

merlzin
15-Oct-10, 22:33
sorry for your loss:(

kjandcrew
15-Oct-10, 23:45
I am so very sorry to hear this - its an awful worry, i have two very happy Tom house cats but worry about them all the time - much love and sympathy to you and if there is anything i could do let me know regaards xx

purplelady
15-Oct-10, 23:47
the same happened to one of my cats years ago xxxxxx

Margaret M.
16-Oct-10, 03:35
So sorry for your loss, Suzy.

If a driver has no clue as to what has been hit, surely they should stop and find out! There’s a chance the animal may just be injured but if it’s left on the road to be run over by other vehicles, it will mean a certain death for the animal. How sad it must be to find your pet flattened into the road because no one bothered to move it. The animal may mean little to some but it may be like a family member to its owners. Personally, I would do all I could to help an animal if it is still alive and I'd certainly try to find the owner no matter what. I think that’s just the decent thing to do.

suzy
16-Oct-10, 08:47
Thanks for all the words of sympathy, they really help, and I loved the poem thank you aurora32
It was Rosco's 2 birthday on Monday, we only had him a short time, but we're going to miss him, he was very 'vocal' always shouting for his dinner and always took a 'treat' back to me from his adventures.
Suzy

http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy53/suzy36/DSC00098.jpg

All boxed up
16-Oct-10, 09:49
What a lovely looking cat Suzy, I can see he will be sadly missed. So sorry for your loss. RIP Roscoe. xx

Liz
16-Oct-10, 12:43
Aw Suzy I am so very sorry that you have lost your beautiful Rosco in such awful circumstances.:~(

It may not be a crime in the eyes of the law to hit a cat but it is a crime as a human being not to stop and see whether the animal is injured (pull in where it is safe if necessary)and could be taken to the vet. If the cat is gone then it would be a mark of respect to set the poor thing on the verge.

His time with you may have been cut cruelly short but sounds like you will have many lovely memories to comfort you.

Thinking of you. xx

Roisin
17-Oct-10, 13:23
im really sorry about rosco i remember him when he was just born, he was always a beautiful lively cat

R.I.P rosco

luskentyre
22-Oct-10, 23:36
If it was dark they may have thought it was a rabbit.

As a cat has a tendency to wander, how is someone supposed to know where it belongs to come and tell you.

Even if I knew I had hit a cat, if I was in the car on my own and it was dark, I most certainly would not stop and get out of the car, let alone wander all round the country side trying to find the owners.

A typical unsympathetic post, full of self-defence. Why don't you actually try and understand what the original poster is going through and post accordingly? Alternatively, if you've nothing useful to add then don't bother bother posting at all.

Suzy - I'm so sorry for your loss. It's a shame the driver didn't have the heart to make an effort to try and find the owner. I've come across a dead cat on the road before and I didn't think twice about stopping and knocking on the nearest door (and yes, it was dark).