PDA

View Full Version : Seat Belts.

Tugmistress
29-Jul-06, 08:56
We all know that seat belts must be worn in cars etc, but i must just say that seat belts can save lives! but also it may be prudent to have a small knife with you too .... my partner had an accident in inverness thursday and had to use a knife to get out of the seatbelt whilst upside down, but the belt undoubtedly saved his life.
be safe folks.

http://www.tugmistress.co.uk/components/com_ponygallery/img_pictures/ooops1_20060729_-588583923.JPG

Ann
29-Jul-06, 09:16
Glad to hear he is ok; must have been frightening!

ice box
29-Jul-06, 09:29
Glad to hear your partner is ok ... was that the smash just south of the kessock bridge .i heard it on the radio .

Kaishowing
29-Jul-06, 09:41
Hope that he wasn't too badly banged-up.

The same situation happened many years ago with my mother in a car smash.The force of the locked belt broke 3 of her ribs until a passing biker cut her out of it.
But I'd take busted ribs over the alternative anyday!

Glad that your partner's still in one piece!:)

Naefearjustbeer
29-Jul-06, 10:13
http://www.campshop.co.uk/item380.htm rather than a knife. You know what the rules about carrying blades these days are like. Hope he is not too sore.

Tugmistress
29-Jul-06, 10:47
Glad to hear your partner is ok ... was that the smash just south of the kessock bridge .i heard it on the radio .

yes it was just as he was coming off the roundabout to go over the bridge and he rolled down the embankment in the gorse. i have heard there was another smash there (similar circumstances i think, it was third hand info) he had his accident about 6.05pm thursday night.
we went down to look at the car yesterday and try to get some stuff back and when we came out of the yard another 4x4 (southbound this time) had gone over just exiting the roundabout.
that's 3 in 24 hours i know about, guess there is something on the road so if you are travelling that way, be careful.

badger
29-Jul-06, 10:58
Sounds really scary Tugmistress - glad he's OK and was able to get out as that's the argument against seat belts, although obviously the advantages are greater. I keep a pair of nail scissors in my glove box - wonder if they would do?
Do people know about the new law from September? I didn't until I saw the Lidl ad. and was cross that I missed the child seats they were selling - apparently they sold out the first day. Doesn't seem to have been much publicity about this but see http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/law/fromseptember06.htm

Wonder how many bus passengers will be belting up, or even whether the bus companies plan to publicise this? Since when were over-14s adults?

emszxr
29-Jul-06, 14:47
that happened to my friends, exact same thing, exact same spot. they were carrying a trailer with 2 trials bikes too. a lot of the roundabouts up here are made baddly. the one a the dornoch bridge, if your heading south is bad too. if you are going a bit too fast it with throw you over to the northbound lane, happened to a guy who hit me as i was heading northbound.
glad your partner ok.

krieve
29-Jul-06, 15:08
I'm glad to here that your partner is ok .:D

pultneytooner
29-Jul-06, 15:09
We all know that seat belts must be worn in cars etc, but i must just say that seat belts can save lives! but also it may be prudent to have a small knife with you too .... my partner had an accident in inverness thursday and had to use a knife to get out of the seatbelt whilst upside down, but the belt undoubtedly saved his life.
be safe folks.

I wonder what the ratio for deaths is between the days when you didn't have to wear a seatbelt and when it was made illegal not to wear one?

Billy Boy
29-Jul-06, 20:57
Glad to hear your partner is ok...

I have a friend who was in a bad car accident a few years back and he went through the windscreen and took the top clean off two christmas tree's with his head, (he wasnt a pretty sight,) but,had he been wearing his seat belt though he would of been killed outright as a fence stab went in through the passenger window and was impaled in the seat he was sitting in.
so it just goes to show they can save live's and cost live's

orkneylass
29-Jul-06, 22:32
It's also worth bearing in mind that unrestrained rear passengers become fatal missiles in accidents ie they can kill front seat passengers.

Fran
30-Jul-06, 00:56
I have a great gadget handy in my car. it cuts the seat belt, pierces the air bag, and the other end will smash the window. Very handy in an accident, every car should have one. i got it from Betterwear some time ago.

brokencross
31-Jul-06, 00:30
Think I will invest in one of those multipurpose car thingies.
http://www.betterware.co.uk/productdetails.aspx?pid=017199&cid=192&language=en-GB

saxovtr
31-Jul-06, 01:08
glad your partner is ok,was that due to speeding or somebody else's fault?

Ricco
31-Jul-06, 09:16
Hi, Tuggie.

Hope your partner is OK. Sorry about the loss of the car, but at least he's safe. :Razz

Tugmistress
31-Jul-06, 09:46
glad your partner is ok,was that due to speeding or somebody else's fault?

well i can't see it was speeding as he had to stop as he approached the roundabout so was maybe going 25mph at the start of the slide, we can only put it down to something like diesel/oil on the road as i say there were 3 within 24 hours very similar that we know about.

Ricco,
you got it in one, i am just glad he walked away from it rather than being laid in a hospital bed or worse on a slab, which looking at the state of the car could have been very likely if a) he hadn't been wearing a seat belt and b) it had been a normal car.

LRM
31-Jul-06, 12:01
I wonder what the ratio for deaths is between the days when you didn't have to wear a seatbelt and when it was made illegal not to wear one?

went on a course a few years ago and the ambulance technician said that when people did not wear seat belts they often had horrific head and chest injuries and now that it is law to wear one there is a significant difference in the severity of injuries and the number of deaths in car accidents. He probably gave statistics but I can't remember.

SNOWDOG
31-Jul-06, 22:08
On an informative note, dont worry about airbags. They are designed to deflate almost as soon as they inflate due to a small hole in the front!

Fran
01-Aug-06, 01:36
after reading about your partners terrible accident tugmistress, I made sure i drove slowly at both places on my way to inverness early this morning, only to come across that terrible accident between the Kessock Bridge roundabout and the left turning to Aberdeen.
At midday it took me over half an hour to get from Raigmore hospital to Tesco for petrol and even longer to return to the hospital as the road was closed and traffic management were everywhere.
i must say that everything was well organised and motorists were kind to each other.
At 1.30 i returned to wick , driving over the accident spot which was covered in white sand. everyone was driving slowly over the area, probably thinking of ther 3 people who were killed.