PDA

View Full Version : Quango's ago go

bekisman
14-Oct-10, 12:58
Interesting to see what Quango's are being aboloshed - not heard of some of em?
Public bodies to be abolished (177 bodies)
Advisory Board on the Registration of Homeopathic Products
Advisory Committee on Borderline Substances
Advisory Committee on Packaging
Advisory Committee on the Government Art Collection
Capacity Builders
Caribbean Board
Commissioner for the Compact
Committee on the Safety of Devices
Darwin Advisory Committee
Foreign Compensation Commission
Government Hospitality Advisory Committee on the Purchase of Wines
Independent Review Panel for the Classification of Borderline Products
Zoos Forum
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/8021780/Quango-cuts-full-list-of-bodies-under-review.html

Kenn
14-Oct-10, 13:17
And not before time, think they made alot of them up just so they could live at the tax payer's expense.

Corrie 3
14-Oct-10, 13:19
Well thats going to push up the unemployment figures isnt it ?

But then of course, the ConDems dont want anybody on the dole do they?
So there will be even more cuts to pay for these extra unemployed....I get the feeling that the ordinary Man and Women are getting screwed.
I dont believe this country will ever be a "Great" Britain again until we get out of the EU.
Just my views of course !!!
C3....:~(

Duncansby
14-Oct-10, 14:02
What I don't understand is how the savings these cuts are designed to make can't be quantified by the minister in charge! Surely before taking a course of action they should at least have an idea of what the impacts are going to be; socially and economically. I just can't help feeling we are going backwards...

Anfield
14-Oct-10, 14:11
It is a pity that the "Windsor Family" quango is not being abolished.

Commore
14-Oct-10, 16:27
I wish they'd get rid of the lot of them,
they are in my opinion (for what it is worth) a bunch of parasites, college drop outs with no where else to go.

Fly
14-Oct-10, 23:31
Well thats going to push up the unemployment figures isnt it ?

But then of course, the ConDems dont want anybody on the dole do they?
So there will be even more cuts to pay for these extra unemployed....I get the feeling that the ordinary Man and Women are getting screwed.
I dont believe this country will ever be a "Great" Britain again until we get out of the EU.
Just my views of course !!!
C3....:~(

There would be more jobs if we got rid of all the immigrants, but I agree, the first thing is to get out of the EU, and stop wasting money on everything associated with it.

theone
15-Oct-10, 00:12
I like the idea of getting rid of unnecessary Quangos, but we have to be careful.

Some of them aren't being removed, they're being merged into government departments.

The whole idea of quangos was that they are independent of Government, being the most qualified to give advice without caving in to political pressure.

It would be a dangerous game to play, getting rid of the experts and giving the politicians more power and authority than they hold already.

ducati
15-Oct-10, 07:29
I'm very worried about the Darwin Advisory Commitee, any suggestions about what they might do?

anyone who looks it up, gets sent to Coventry for a week :mad:

bekisman
15-Oct-10, 09:05
I'm very worried about the Darwin Advisory Commitee, any suggestions about what they might do?

anyone who looks it up, gets sent to Coventry for a week :mad:

Could not resist - well I did start the thread!

"To advise the Secretary of State for the Environment on the principles and objectives of the Darwin Initiative for the Survival of Species grant programme in implementing the Convention on Biological Diversity especially Article 5, taking into account the past experience of the grant programme. (The Secretary of State has been authorised to give financial assistance to the Darwin Initiative by Article 2 of the Financial Assistance for Environmental Purposes Order 1993 (S.I. 1993 No. 1062) which was made under Section 153(4) of the Environmental Protection Act 1990.)"

There, now we all know:confused? Coventry's OK, anyway

Anfield
15-Oct-10, 10:32

"To advise the Secretary of State for the Environment on the principles and objectives of the Darwin Initiative for the Survival of Species grant programme in implementing the Convention on Biological Diversity especially Article 5, taking into account the past experience of the grant programme. (The Secretary of State has been authorised to give financial assistance to the Darwin Initiative by Article 2 of the Financial Assistance for Environmental Purposes Order 1993 (S.I. 1993 No. 1062) which was made under Section 153(4) of the Environmental Protection Act 1990.)"

Maybe we should get that well known expert of the English language, SHARONA, to interpret this for us into plain English

Corrie 3
15-Oct-10, 11:16
Maybe we should get that well known expert of the English language, SHARONA, to interpret this for us into plain English
Oh no, dont do that, it might be bad Forham !!!!!!!

C3....:roll::lol::lol:

ducati
15-Oct-10, 11:31

Your forgiven because, having read it, I still don't know what they do.

I was hoping they had something to do with choosing who gets to continue to swim in the Gene Pool

Bazeye
16-Oct-10, 14:01
There would be more jobs if we got rid of all the immigrants, but I agree, the first thing is to get out of the EU, and stop wasting money on everything associated with it.

The immigrantswill keep on arriving at these shores until we are out of the EU and we can then decide for ourselves who we do and who we dont want in the country.

peter macdonald
16-Oct-10, 14:55
http://news.scotsman.com/quangostate/Purcell-quango-gave-4000-to.6168732.jp

Heres one quango to go .....

peter macdonald
16-Oct-10, 15:04
I wish they'd get rid of the lot of them,
they are in my opinion (for what it is worth) a bunch of parasites, college drop outs with no where else to go.
You missed out New Labour party toadies as seen from this Telegraph out take
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1560698/Quangos-the-runaway-gravy-train.html
Many of the most well-known quangos have Labour supporters employed in their ranks. The former Labour leader, Lord Kinnock, is now head of the British Council. The Labour-supporting chief executive of the Tate galleries, Sir Nicholas Serota, was already ensconced when Labour came to power, but over the past 10 years he has acquired a knighthood and a new chairman, the Labour-backing business grandee Paul Myners, who part-funded Gordon Brown's leadership campaign this year.

A career in quangos doesn't mean just stopping at the one job. Labour Party member Dame Suzi Leather was appointed to be chairman of the newly created School Food Trust in 2005, while still chairing the Human Fertilisation & Embryology Authority. But she dispensed with both roles when appointed her to a third job: chairman of the Charity Commission, the voluntary sector's regulator. Anne Galbraith chairs the Prescription Pricing Authority and the Valuation Tribunal Service, a body that settles disputes on tax valuations."The big problem with these organisations is that they're powerful, but unaccountable," says Mr Taylor. "Departments are overseen by ministers who can be brought to account at an election. An organisation like the National Institute of Clinical Excellence has tremendous power to decide what medicine British people have and yet it simply isn't accountable. Quangos take democracy out of the equation."

PM