PDA

View Full Version : Caithness Ghost Stories

Nello
29-Jul-06, 02:38
Does anyone know any ??

I have to write a paper for my OU and am going to do it on the paranormal, have started researching the Ghostly Hauntings of old World War II Bomber Airfields but not a lot of material there really so does anyone have any Caithness ghost stories ??

And I know all about the one that visits after a good night out, fills your mouth with cotton wool and empties your wallet !!, have had many visits from that one !!

Any help appreciated.

flash
29-Jul-06, 14:45
I used to have some books by an author called Bruce Halfpenny, called Ghost Stations, I got them when I was in the RAF, and visited a few of the old stations he wrote about, spooky, he really brought some of these old stations back to life.

Just looked on amazon.com and see that his books are still available. You could try there for research.

Nello
29-Jul-06, 18:56
I used to have some books by an author called Bruce Halfpenny, called Ghost Stations, I got them when I was in the RAF, and visited a few of the old stations he wrote about, spooky, he really brought some of these old stations back to life.

Just looked on amazon.com and see that his books are still available. You could try there for research.

Will do .. many thanks.

MadPict
29-Jul-06, 20:30
Shame you did not see the 'Most Haunted" programme recently repeated on Sky about East Kirby in Lincs http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/

Derek Acorah seemed to be finding out stuff about a crash back in the war - it was intersting viewing. The point where one of the film crew felt his arm burning and they all smelt the odour was kind of spooky. - http://travel.discovery.com/fansites/mosthaunted/destinations/raf.html

I have the some of the books mentioned by flash - they do make interesting reading.

Nello
29-Jul-06, 20:32
Shame you did not see the 'Most Haunted" programme recently repeated on Sky about East Kirby in Lincs http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/

Derek Acorah seemed to be finding out stuff about a crash back in the war - it was intersting viewing. The point where one of the film crew felt his arm burning and they all smelt the odour was kind of spooky.

I have the some of the books mentioned by flash - they do make interesting reading.

Thanks, will check out the link.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
30-Jul-06, 01:09
Derek Acorah is a fraud.I have no proof,no links just ma eyes watchin' Most Haunted'.Scary......the programme isn't.

Ma proof......walk into the darkest room of yir house by yourself,stay in there for a couple o' minutes and if ye can honestly say ye come out withoot goose bumps,yer a braver person than me!!!!!

Sorry Nello,don't know of any Ghost stories in Caithness but if its anything like Ayrshire there will be hundreds!!!:D

Nello
30-Jul-06, 01:14
Sorry Nello,don't know of any Ghost stories in Caithness but if its anything like Ayrshire there will be hundreds!!!:D[/quote]

If you have any links Cedric it will be much appreciated, was just going to write about Airfield Ghosts but will branch out into Scottish Ghosts as well I think, doing a search but if you know any local or obscure tales it would be appreciated.

Cheers.

MadPict
30-Jul-06, 01:21
Derek Acorah is a fraud.I have no proof,no links just ma eyes watchin' Most Haunted'.Scary......the programme isn't.

Ma proof......walk into the darkest room of yir house by yourself,stay in there for a couple o' minutes and if ye can honestly say ye come out withoot goose bumps,yer a braver person than me!!!!!

Sorry Nello,don't know of any Ghost stories in Caithness but if its anything like Ayrshire there will be hundreds!!!:D

I was only going on the one programme I saw which happened to be related to Nello's request. Whether it was a set up or they all suffered mass hallucinations I don't know - but I have been on airfields at night time and have witnessed some odd happenings and they can be daunting places.

How on earth do you sleep at night? If you suffer goosebumps in the darkest room?....[lol]

Cedric Farthsbottom III
30-Jul-06, 01:23
Sawney Beans cave outside Ballantrae has had many sightings also Rabbie Burns cottage in Alloway.

Ootside Ayrshire,Edinburgh is not only the capital of Scotland but the best place for ghost stories.A friend went on the Edinburgh ghost tour and said that he had to change his breeks a few times.

I remember one night going up the Royal Mile,true I had a few sherries,but I passed a lady dressed 200 years before my time,turned to look again and she was gone!!!A ghost or someone in fancy dress,still stumped to the answer!!!!

Cedric Farthsbottom III
30-Jul-06, 01:29
I was only going on the one programme I saw which happened to be related to Nello's request. Whether it was a set up or they all suffered mass hallucinations I don't know - but I have been on airfields at night time and have witnessed some odd happenings and they can be daunting places.

How on earth do you sleep at night? If you suffer goosebumps in the darkest room?....[lol]

Mad Pict ye are right in what ye said in yer post to Nello,I think as always to keep an open mind when it comes to ghosts.Cos if ye do see one yer mostly made oot to be a crackpot or liar!!!!

To be able to speak to them....I'm wary.To see them,we might have?

Nello
30-Jul-06, 02:40

Know what you mean about airfields as I was based at a Station which was also a Bomber airfield during the last war. There used to be all sorts of runours about a particular hangar mainly noises of men working, strange lights etc. Didnt really believe it until one night on Guard we were called out to investigate a report of said lights and noise. Duly turned up and we did hear what sounded like men working, tools dropping, there was even the odd flash of light. Being steely eyed defenders of the faith and fully armed we took the only sensible course of action .. yup we called in the Police Dogs !!, when they arrived out of the three dogs only one went in the hangar and that was a stretch as intially they just skulked about outside and whined with their tails between their legs, they were petrified. The one that went in lasted about 10 seconds and was a contender for a speed record as he left the hangar. That was good enough for us and the coppers so we just decided to go for a brew and come back later. Took the dogs back an hour or so later, no noises and everything fine, no whining and they obeyed commands. Bit unnerving though.

gollach
31-Jul-06, 00:08
try this site

http://www.caithnessghostsandhauntings.f2s.com/tonkatoy.html