PDA

View Full Version : Crowdie

changilass
28-Jul-06, 23:19
Does anyone have a recipe for Crowdie, I love the stuff, but at £1.10 for a small tub, its costing me a fortune.

sjwahwah
28-Jul-06, 23:34
I love the hramsa.. garlic is my passion... but would also like to see a recipe for the crowdie... can never pass up the highland cheese factory!

htwood
28-Jul-06, 23:50
Got this from a cooking website some years ago.

Put two pints of freshly sour or thick milk into a pan and place on a slow heat and watch until it curdles. Do not allow the milk to simmer or boil otherwise the curds will harden. When the curd sets let it cool before you attempt draining the whey.
Line a colander with a clean muslin cloth and transfer the curds into it and leave until most of the whey has drained before squeezing the last of the whey out by hand. Mix the crowdie with a little salt until it has a smooth texture. Now blend the crowdie with a little cream and place the mixture in a dish and allow to rest in a refrigerator.

(You can sour milk by adding 1 tablespoon vinegar to each cup of fresh milk. Let it sit for 15 minutes, then use in recipe.) Let me know how it turns out. -H

Tom Cornwall
29-Jul-06, 00:29
Crowdie....ech!!! it makes me sick to think aboot...My mother-in-law used to make it and she used to think I ate it but I couldna.. it makes me sick

goldenguernsey
29-Jul-06, 04:12
Don't you mix it with butter? I have more than enough milk to make the curd but always thought you mixed in butter, please enlighten me.

Lolabelle
29-Jul-06, 05:39
Please forgive my ignorance, but what is crowdie? At first I thought it was a place, then I realised that is here in Oz, Crowdie Beach! :)

changilass
29-Jul-06, 05:58
Its a sour tasting cream cheese, its great

Buttercup
29-Jul-06, 13:51
Used to make Crowdie years ago but used unpasturised milk. I don't think it works the same with the pasturised stuff,if I remember correctly, as it tends to go rotten rather then just sour. But if anyone manages it let me know.