PDA

View Full Version : recipes for healthy eating!!!!

sam
28-Jul-06, 22:54
just wondered if anyone has any recipes for healthy eating, i am trying to lose weight and just fancy something other that the usual salads and stuff:roll:

Billy Boy
28-Jul-06, 22:56
lol, try the seafood diet it work's for me:eek:

sam
28-Jul-06, 22:58
lol, try the seafood diet it work's for me:eek:
whats that lol, ya seafood and ya eat it??????:lol:
thats why a need healthy recipes!!!!!

Cedric Farthsbottom III
28-Jul-06, 23:02
Try the Weetabix diet.Have 3 for Breakfast,3 for lunch and 3 for tea.Nothin else except for this!!!!

GOOD NEWS......In a month the weight will have dropped off!!!:D

BAD NEWS........Ye'll live on the toilet and ye'll never eat Weetabix again!!!!:lol:

Billy Boy
28-Jul-06, 23:16
http://8th-dimension.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/diet.jpg

sjwahwah
28-Jul-06, 23:28
how about tattie salad for warm summer days & great for barbies!!??

6 medium potatoes or similiar amount of new baby potatoes, scrubbed and chopped into approx. 1 1/2 inch pieces
2 hardboiled eggs, chopped (omit for vegan)
1 bell pepper, diced
4-6 finely minced scallions (spring onions) whites and greens
1 small cucumber, peeled if waxed and diced
1 carrot diced or grated
3 - 4 thinly sliced radishes
1 stalk celery, minced
1 cup lightly toasted cashews
1/2 cup toasted sesame seeds
2 TBS shelled hemp seed
1 cup finely minced fresh parsley
1/4 cup minced fresh dill or 1 TBS. dried
1 - 2 tsp. salt
fresh black pepper
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 - 2 tsp. mustard
1 - 2 tsp. tarragon
1 - 2 TBS. prepared horseradish
1/2 - 1 cup vegan hemp mayonnaise
1/2 - 1 cup soya yogurt, yogurt or sour cream
Garnish with Cherry tomatoes, olives and fresh spinach leaves.

Combine well, season to taste, cover and chill.

Vegan Hemp Mayonnaise

1 cup tofu, mashed with a fork
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. mustard, dijon or similiar is best
2 tsp. cider vinegar
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. salt to taste
1/4 cup hemp oil (can use olive oil)

Place everything in a blender except oil and blend until smooth. Keep machine running as you drizzle in the oil. When the oil is incorporated, turn off machine. Transfer to a container, cover and refridgerate.

badger
29-Jul-06, 10:20
Can't remember exactly what they said but on the radio this morning they reported that a daily dose of oily fish has been proved to reduce weight and you can eat whatever else you like. Maybe it works like Weetabix?

sjwahwah
29-Jul-06, 11:58
you absolutely cannot do that... there are not enough nutrients in weetabix... losing weight is not worth malnourishing yourself.. besides if you do that.. your body says no and gets really really hungry because it is craving these other nutrients and you will pig out reversing any weightloss you've achieved. I suggest the tattie salad because it has everything and more as far as nutrients and amino acids.. hemp oil and seed is better than oily fish in the omega 3s.

erli
29-Jul-06, 12:41
Diets are nonsense.
I recently lost nearly 3 stone and it was down to exercise, I cut out full fat milk and replaced it with semi-skimmed. That is the only diet change I made.
I started running, going to the gym and doing my own exercises at home with weights and I have never felt better, but the best thing is I don't have to starve and can have the same foods that my family eat.

rfr10
29-Jul-06, 12:47
If you go to http://www.healthyliving.gov.uk/orderpacks/index.cfm?contentID=1406 you can order FREE healthy eating recipe cards.

Check out http://www.healthyliving.gov.uk/toptips/ for tips on healthy eating

Also, never skip breakfast when you're trying to loose weight because you actually put more weight on.

Take a low fat yoghurt after your biggest meal of the day- This has been prooven to help you loose weight.

Drinking the recommended 8 glasses of water a day helps you loose weight but NEVER dring within 30 mins before or after eating meal, it's bad for your digestion and it can also make you want to eat more.

Only eat red meat once or twice a week if you have to.

connieb19
29-Jul-06, 12:48
Diets are nonsense.
I recently lost nearly 3 stone and it was down to exercise, I cut out full fat milk and replaced it with semi-skimmed. That is the only diet change I made.
I started running, going to the gym and doing my own exercises at home with weights and I have never felt better, but the best thing is I don't have to starve and can have the same foods that my family eat.I agree 100% Erli. Any time I have ever gone on a diet all I do is think about food more than ever. I would say ditch the scales too, they only disshearten you. When people look at you they see a shape, not a number.

rockchick
29-Jul-06, 14:46
just wondered if anyone has any recipes for healthy eating, i am trying to lose weight and just fancy something other that the usual salads and stuff:roll:

Hey Sam,

Congrats for trying to go healthy instead of just cutting calories. It's a good start.

I would not suggest starting a "diet", because any weight change that you manage will only be temporary when you stop the diet. Let's face it, there are only two ways to lose weight - either eat less, or exercise more. That's it - nothing fancy about it. A combination of both is most effective, but you must have one or the other, and anybody who tells you different is either lying or trying to sell you something.

I have lots of "heart-smart" recipes if you'd like, but the range is huge. If you let me know what kind of food you like (chicken? vegetarian? red meat?) I can forward you some.

If you want some not-asked-for advice:

- stay away from pre-packaged foods and cook your own from scratch
- don't snack. If you want to snack, chew (sugarless) gum. No calories, and helps keep your teeth healthy
- every time you get the munchies, make yourself drink a glass of water first. Sometimes our brains mistake thirst for hunger.
- Walk at least a mile every day. Even if you do no other exercise, this will kickstart your metabolism so that your body will lose weight faster.
- If you haven't done so already, quit smoking. A smoker who exercises a half-hour every day has the same level of fitness as a non-smoker couch-potato.

Good luck! and let me know what recipes you want

sam
29-Jul-06, 15:07
Diets are nonsense.
I started running, going to the gym and doing my own exercises at home with weights and I have never felt better, but the best thing is I don't have to starve and can have the same foods that my family eat.

i agree erli, i am not looking to go on a diet i just want to eat more healthy foods i am already doing exercise but what is the point if i am not eating healthily and although i love salads i just want a change :)

elaine
29-Jul-06, 16:48
Hi Sam,
I'm trying to lose weight just now as well.
What I'm doing is trying to cut down on the carbs. Not Atkins but just trying to have them in moderation especially the 5 biggies:

Rice
Bread
Tatties
Pasta
Sugar

Not cutting them out, just cutting them down! Trying to have more veg instead and of course loads of water (I struggle with this!!).
I also joined a gym on Friday so hopefully this combination will work!!
I have to admit though I'm crap at diets - I just flamin' love food too much! I may have to resort to hypnotism if this doesn't work (look into the eyes, into the eyes, not around the eyes....look into the pies, into the pies, not around the pies - D'OH!!!)

Good luck with it all!!

orkneylass
29-Jul-06, 22:34
Healthy eating as a lifelong option plus exercise is how to control weight - diets rarely work long term and some of them are downright dangerous. It's not a miserable option - decent healthy food is wonderful!

sjwahwah
29-Jul-06, 23:26
thought I would add this as I'm makin it right now..
Apple Chutney

I N G R E D I E N T S

8-10 tart apples, peeled, cored & coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 TB. fresh ginger root, minced
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. cloves or allspice
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup (packed) brown sugar
1/3 cup cider vinegar
Dash of cayenne pepper.

1. Place all ingredients except garlic in a medium-sized saucepan.

2. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes or until everything is well mingled and very soft. Add the garlic during the last 5-10 minutes of cooking.

3. Cool. Then transfer to sterile glass jar with lid and chill.

Great on sandwiches, indian dishes, on oat cakes. Makes your house smell lovely when cooking!!

sassylass
30-Jul-06, 00:26
Healthy eating as a lifelong option plus exercise is how to control weight - diets rarely work long term and some of them are downright dangerous. It's not a miserable option - decent healthy food is wonderful!

well said mizz orkneylass!