PDA

View Full Version : The Rise Of China

pultneytooner
28-Jul-06, 20:23
Since the fall of the soviet union, america has been the world's sole superpower, however in recent years, China has been gaining strength through breakneck economic growth, china is increasing financial reserves.

There has been reports that China is in the process of modernizing its defence capabilities as it now has the financial muscle to do it.

Also of late, China has been competing with the major oil companies of the west for control of the world's energy resources.

Do you believe that China is benign or has it got a hidden agenda? Will it one day soon challenge America as a superpower?

sjwahwah
28-Jul-06, 20:49
I think the challenge is already there. With the economy slipping so much in the US and taking a beating off China with the trade deficits and revaluation of the yuan, and the Chinese buying up the American manufacturers and corporations (including Unocal last year) i think there is not a doubt they have the capabilities and monetary muscle to do pretty much whatever they'd like to.

and in the current scheme of things... what might it be?:roll:

DW
28-Jul-06, 20:51
I think the challenge is already there. With the economy slipping so much in the US and taking a beating off China with the trade deficits and revaluation of the yuan, and the Chinese buying up the American manufacturers and corporations (including Unocal last year) i think there is not a doubt they have the capabilities and monetary muscle to do pretty much whatever they'd like to.

and in the current scheme of things... what might it be?:roll:

Time to stop teaching French and start teaching mandarin to the weans I reckon. At least that way they will know what the Prime Minister is saying in 25 years time.

pultneytooner
28-Jul-06, 20:56
Time to stop teaching French and start teaching mandarin to the weans I reckon. At least that way they will know what the Prime Minister is saying in 25 years time. This is an exaggerated fear of many people which you are not supposed to talk about.

celtic 302
29-Jul-06, 01:26
its not just china who are becoming a super-power. North Korea (maybe south, im not sure which one) with there dictator are also becoming a super-power, in the full sense of the last word. If some of the rumours are true, they have enough nuclear weapons/technology etc to blow up all of USA and Canada. Russa also are a super-power. they have many warheads, including nuclear weapons, and they ahve a huge army. I would also consider Israel a super-power. Remember, Israel has the support of the USA, and if those 2 joined.......... KABOOM.....

fred
29-Jul-06, 10:17
its not just china who are becoming a super-power. North Korea (maybe south, im not sure which one) with there dictator are also becoming a super-power, in the full sense of the last word.

Would that be the people of North Korea or the state? Many of the people spend all their time struggling to find enough food to keep themselves alive.

katarina
29-Jul-06, 10:20
Isn't there a prophesy in the bible that says "a yellow race will rule the world." ?

fred
29-Jul-06, 10:58
Isn't there a prophesy in the bible that says "a yellow race will rule the world." ?

I don't think so, I read the book and saw the film, if there is I must have missed it.

badger
29-Jul-06, 11:05
Never heard this one but China is definitely a country to watch. The recent tv series was very interesting, especially as there are obviously people in China who are willing to speak out on ecology issues which I'm sure would not have been possible a few years ago. Still far too much state control, which is why they are advancing so quickly. Pity Bush (followed slavishly by Blair) is so busy alienating the rest of the world but maybe he doesn't know where China is yet :roll:

celtic 302
29-Jul-06, 13:48
Would that be the people of North Korea or the state? Many of the people spend all their time struggling to find enough food to keep themselves alive.

hahaha... funny man aint you???

pultneytooner
29-Jul-06, 14:58
Never heard this one but China is definitely a country to watch. The recent tv series was very interesting, especially as there are obviously people in China who are willing to speak out on ecology issues which I'm sure would not have been possible a few years ago. Still far too much state control, which is why they are advancing so quickly. Pity Bush (followed slavishly by Blair) is so busy alienating the rest of the world but maybe he doesn't know where China is yet :roll:
Bush is a wet-brained maniac and blair is one of his flock, god help us all.

Sporran
29-Jul-06, 18:07

I heard of that prophecy years many ago. Perhaps Canuck can confirm if it was from the Bible or not. Otherwise, it may have been Nostradamus or the Brahan Seer.

Gleber2
29-Jul-06, 18:41
When the nations of the world engage in the last and final war, China, with one small European nation, will emmerge and take over the pieces after the war staggers to a halt. This is a combination of several predictions.

sjwahwah
29-Jul-06, 18:51
right gleber2.. I'm interested... tell us more..

fred
29-Jul-06, 19:16
When the nations of the world engage in the last and final war, China, with one small European nation, will emmerge and take over the pieces after the war staggers to a halt. This is a combination of several predictions.

Is the small European nation Greece?

The Greek shall inherit the earth?

canuck
29-Jul-06, 19:16
I heard of that prophecy years many ago. Perhaps Canuck can confirm if it was from the Bible or not. Otherwise, it may have been Nostradamus or the Brahan Seer.

Sporran, I was half way through my response to you when Gleber2 reached over and hit the delete button on my computer and then posted ahead of me.

The short answer is "no" to the question about the Bible. Normally while I am on vacation the short answer would be all that you get. But because it is you sporran I'll give you more information. I checked with The Ship of Fools, a religious website that really is not just fun but very good with this stuff. Here is the thread where this issue is discussed. Scroll down about 8 or 10 posts.
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000640

To those who, through the conspiracy theory discussions, are worn out checking links the summary is as follows. The two Biblical possibilities are:
Genesis 9:27 - "May God make space for Japheth, and let him live in the tents of Shem; and let Canaan be his slave." (Japheth was Noah's son and apparently he had yellow skin. I don't know if we are dealing with race or liver disease here.)

Jeremiah 30:6 - "Ask now and see, can a man bear a child? Why then do I see every man with his hands on his loins like a woman in labor? Why has every face turned pale?" (I am not going near that one with a ten foot pole.)

Finally,the collective wisdom of the Ship of Fools is that the quotation is from the Nostradamus as you suggest.

fred
29-Jul-06, 19:29
hahaha... funny man aint you???

It isn't funny celtic, Korea doesn't release figures but probably between one and three million people died there in famines in the 1990s, they are now heavily dependent on food aid from the rest of the world.

pultneytooner
29-Jul-06, 20:10
The stage is set for that to happen...........:confused

sjwahwah
29-Jul-06, 20:20
Sporran, I was half way through my response to you when Gleber2 reached over and hit the delete button on my computer and then posted ahead of me.

The short answer is "no" to the question about the Bible. Normally while I am on vacation the short answer would be all that you get. But because it is you sporran I'll give you more information. I checked with The Ship of Fools, a religious website that really is not just fun but very good with this stuff. Here is the thread where this issue is discussed. Scroll down about 8 or 10 posts.
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000640

To those who, through the conspiracy theory discussions, are worn out checking links the summary is as follows. The two Biblical possibilities are:
Genesis 9:27 - "May God make space for Japheth, and let him live in the tents of Shem; and let Canaan be his slave." (Japheth was Noah's son and apparently he had yellow skin. I don't know if we are dealing with race or liver disease here.)

Jeremiah 30:6 - "Ask now and see, can a man bear a child? Why then do I see every man with his hands on his loins like a woman in labor? Why has every face turned pale?" (I am not going near that one with a ten foot pole.)

Finally,the collective wisdom of the Ship of Fools is that the quotation is from the Nostradamus as you suggest.

or jaundice....

scorrie
29-Jul-06, 20:59

I think that prediction actually came from Tomorrow's World and was about the rise of the Pacman game.

Gleber2
29-Jul-06, 21:33
Is the small European nation Greece?

The Greek shall inherit the earth?

Ho ho ho, but I always thought it would be Scotland.

Gleber2
29-Jul-06, 21:42
The stage is set for that to happen...........:confused

This is also my belief. I noticed that the total amount of debt put on to credit and debit cards in the last six months in the UK was £151billion. When the enevitable financial crash is with us and monetary system gives up the ghost completely, absolute chaos will ensue. It will not need more war etc to destroy the fabric of society. Absolute anarchy and starvation will destroy all forms of government every-where except China who have not forgotten history and the destuction of their society by Europe and the USA at the time of the Opium wars and other periods. They, I believe, are patiently waiting.

canuck
29-Jul-06, 22:01
This is also my belief. I noticed that the total amount of debt put on to credit and debit cards in the last six months in the UK was £151billion. When the enevitable financial crash is with us and monetary system gives up the ghost completely, absolute chaos will ensue. It will not need more war etc to destroy the fabric of society. Absolute anarchy and starvation will destroy all forms of government every-where except China who have not forgotten history and the destuction of their society by Europe and the USA at the time of the Opium wars and other periods. They, I believe, are patiently waiting.

Gleber2 you are sounding like a dour Scot. Where did that come from?
I anguish with you over the excessive materialism of the West.
But as for China, they have one very huge problem about to rear its ugly head. They have a generation of children raised as single children in families who idolize and pamper the young. As adults with voices and power they are going to demand far more than we spoiled western kids ever expected of our society. We will all work it out together or we will all perish. I have faith in the "work it out" side of the coin.

sjwahwah
29-Jul-06, 22:30
excessive materialism.. yes.. but, apparently Scotland is the most dangerous place in the developed world to live according to the UN... perhaps our anger and capability is unmatched.. ?!?!?!:roll::roll:

pultneytooner
30-Jul-06, 02:40
To the victor go the spoils.......

JAWS
30-Jul-06, 03:32
excessive materialism.. yes.. but, apparently Scotland is the most dangerous place in the developed world to live according to the UN... perhaps our anger and capability is unmatched.. ?!?!?!:roll::roll:Just shows how much you can trust what the UN says. They must have been very selective in the places they checked.

JAWS
30-Jul-06, 03:53

The stage is set for that to happen...........:confused I just wish they would hurry up and get on with it, I’ve been promised all my life that it was going to happen and I hate being kept waiting.
The more who join the Nuclear Club and the nuttier they are the better, I think mushrooms are beautiful and the bigger the better.

sjwahwah
30-Jul-06, 03:59
I just wish they would hurry up and get on with it, I’ve been promised all my life that it was going to happen and I hate being kept waiting.
The more who join the Nuclear Club and the nuttier they are the better, I think mushrooms are beautiful and the bigger the better.

you cheerier than ever tonite jaws![lol]

JAWS
31-Jul-06, 05:36
you cheerier than ever tonite jaws![lol]
Certainly would cheer me up, Give evolution a chance, it got it wrong last time. Just hope that next time no wimp bottles out. pity they got the lift working over Cuba. If they hadn't we could have had some real excitement and nobody to try and make us feel like we ought to care one bit about it.
You really would have been able to say somebody was a shaddow of their former self!