PDA

View Full Version : Seamans Hotel

scorpion
12-Oct-10, 18:16
Does anyone know where abouts in Thurso the Seamans hotel was situated . The hotel was apparently trading in the early 1900`s , cheers

Kodiak
12-Oct-10, 19:20
Don't know about a Seamans Hotel but there used to be a "Marine Hotel" and it was at the end of Marine Terrace. I have marked where it used to be on the map below. Is this the hotel you mean?

http://i55.tinypic.com/ab7dz7.jpg

thirsaloon
13-Oct-10, 20:32
Does anyone know where abouts in Thurso the Seamans hotel was situated . The hotel was apparently trading in the early 1900`s , cheers

Seamans Hotel, also known as Seamans Inn and then later known as the Harbour Bar. It was in Shore Street, just past the entry which takes you through to Marine Terrace. I have some info in my files on it.

scorpion
13-Oct-10, 22:28
So then going by that thirsaloon it is the old Marine Inn then ?

Whitewater
13-Oct-10, 23:38
I don't think it was the Marine Inn, Kodiac's location for the Marine Inn is right, what thirsaloon is saying is there was a Harbour Bar, previously known as the Seamans Inn located in Shore St. That part of Thurso was very busy during the late 1800s and early 1900s, it is possible that there were several pubs in the area but I don't know of the top of my head. I will need to do a bit of research. Interesting area, my dad, his father and uncles all lived in Millers Lane, they were a sea going family, all involved in what is now known as the Merchant Marine.

laguna2
14-Oct-10, 07:33
I don't think it was the Marine Inn, Kodiac's location for the Marine Inn is right, what thirsaloon is saying is there was a Harbour Bar, previously known as the Seamans Inn located in Shore St. That part of Thurso was very busy during the late 1800s and early 1900s, it is possible that there were several pubs in the area but I don't know of the top of my head. I will need to do a bit of research. Interesting area, my dad, his father and uncles all lived in Millers Lane, they were a sea going family, all involved in what is now known as the Merchant Marine.

Merchant Marine? Do you mean Merchant Navy or is that something different?

thirsaloon
14-Oct-10, 08:12
So then going by that thirsaloon it is the old Marine Inn then ?

Nope, its not the Marine Inn. Seamans Inn was as you go past the Turnpike, heading down in the direction of the Marine Inn....it was roughly where the house just on the other side of the entry leading to Marine Terrace is.

Dick Spears owned it for one while, he also owned the kiln in Shore Street and was the Thurso Town Band master. There was other bars in the area though, I think I can name most of them that stretched from Shore Street to High Street. Roughly around 14........Thurso was the place to be for a pub crawl!!!!

northener
14-Oct-10, 09:42
Merchant Marine? Do you mean Merchant Navy or is that something different?

Same thing. The expression Merchant 'Marine' is less used as the 'Navy' variety but is still correct. It refers to marine as in mariner, not a seagoing soldier.

HTH.

golach
14-Oct-10, 09:50
Same thing. The expression Merchant 'Marine' is less used as the 'Navy' variety but is still correct. It refers to marine as in mariner, not a seagoing soldier.

HTH.

Sorry Northener, as a former member of the Merchant Navy, I dislike this term Merchant Marine, this is another Americanism that has crept into our language.
All those who have sailed under the Red Duster, that I know, would never consider themselves as such.

laguna2
14-Oct-10, 10:04
Sorry Northener, as a former member of the Merchant Navy, I dislike this term Merchant Marine, this is another Americanism that has crept into our language.
All those who have sailed under the Red Duster, that I know would never consider themselves as such.

Have to agree with golach on this one. :eek::lol:

I have never heard the term "Merchant Marine" used by anyone I know who is in the Merchant Navy.

northener
14-Oct-10, 10:23
All those who have sailed under the Red Duster, that I know, would never consider themselves as such.

I stand corrected, Sir.

Bloody civvies......:roll:;):Razz

scotsboy
14-Oct-10, 10:31
Concur........I was formerly in the Merchant Navy.