PDA

View Full Version : In a Pickle

Commore
11-Oct-10, 21:20
The lads in Tesco had no idea,
the lad in Lidl had less of an idea, the girl however, was ever so helpful with a few suggestions of where in Thurso I could find..............
Pickling Spice!

I mean, it's not a lot to ask from prominent supermarkets in a fairly sized town is it?
It's like the poster the other evening who called for "rennet",
these little things are what makes the lives of us, rural mere housewives worthwhile, isn't it?
Rural wimmin need rural things do they not?
So we are calling all you supermarket managers out there in Thurso, please provide for the basics or you might find a big loss in your balance sheets some week, when we all take up arms and head south to find the things we rural folks need.................think on Mr/Mrs. Manager.

Dadie
11-Oct-10, 21:25
J Mackays??
by any chance?

unicorn
11-Oct-10, 21:30
I have to say Mackays is a brilliant wee shop, full of absolute gems that you can't find anywhere else.

Commore
11-Oct-10, 21:32
J Mackays??
by any chance?

Thank you, but what / where is J MacKay's?

unicorn
11-Oct-10, 21:32
You could make your own http://www.ehow.com/how_4466044_own-pickling-spice.html if you feel adventurous :D

unicorn
11-Oct-10, 21:33
Just along from Johnstons bakery in Thurso, across the road from the Central.

chaz
11-Oct-10, 21:45
Co op used to sell it but havent seen it recently, get a friend to get me some when they go south or make my own.Y es you are right i confused the poor staff with th same request a while ago:lol:

dousslesh
11-Oct-10, 21:55
Bought pickling spice from Tesco in Wick on Friday. It was with all the other spices in a 'Schwartz ' box. Only one or two boxes left on the shelf. I tend to buy a couple of boxes every now and again if I see them in.
Have made up my own pickling spice, certainly gives Pickled onions and beetroot a kick !

Commore
12-Oct-10, 10:19
Thank you,
I may just make my own and thank you for the links as how to do,
(you'd think I'd know these things being in the trade),
Tesco informed me yesterday that they are not stocking "Schwartz" goods any more, unfortunately they could not tell me why.

:)

Mrs Bucket
12-Oct-10, 15:04
Excuse me I would like to point out you dont have to be rural to use these items. or maybe I shouldnt use such things

Commore
12-Oct-10, 15:43
Excuse me I would like to point out you dont have to be rural to use these items. or maybe I shouldnt use such things
Oops, did not mean to upset, I just meant for those who do need these things, they should be available somewhere, in the area and as I have learned from this forum, they are, just not in the supermarket/s.
:)

Mrs Bucket
12-Oct-10, 19:49
Its ok Commore no offence taken just a bit of light hearted banter :)

Commore
12-Oct-10, 19:53
Its ok Commore no offence taken just a bit of light hearted banter :)

Hmmm, I thought so :)

sids
13-Oct-10, 12:23
Excuse me I would like to point out you dont have to be rural to use these items.

Yes you do. The people in Wick only pickle themselves.

Dadie
13-Oct-10, 12:27
If you are looking for anything that may seem unusual..J Mackays is my first stop!
Saves time hunting out "exotic" ingredients like gravy salt!

Mrs Bucket
13-Oct-10, 15:13
Yes you do. The people in Wick only pickle themselves.
Explain please what could you mean by such a remark

pentlander
13-Oct-10, 18:35
The lads in Tesco had no idea,
the lad in Lidl had less of an idea, the girl however, was ever so helpful with a few suggestions of where in Thurso I could find..............
Pickling Spice!

I mean, it's not a lot to ask from prominent supermarkets in a fairly sized town is it?
It's like the poster the other evening who called for "rennet",
these little things are what makes the lives of us, rural mere housewives worthwhile, isn't it?
Rural wimmin need rural things do they not?
So we are calling all you supermarket managers out there in Thurso, please provide for the basics or you might find a big loss in your balance sheets some week, when we all take up arms and head south to find the things we rural folks need.................think on Mr/Mrs. Manager.

Thank you, but what / where is J MacKay's?

Before having a massive rant at how bad supermarkets are maybe you should check out the local shops. Amazing you shop in Thurso but have never heard of Mackays. So no need to threaten them with a trip to Inverness to no doubt visit them anyway. A simple trip into the high street would save you the bother.

Commore
13-Oct-10, 18:51
Before having a massive rant at how bad supermarkets are maybe you should check out the local shops. Amazing you shop in Thurso but have never heard of Mackays. So no need to threaten them with a trip to Inverness to no doubt visit them anyway. A simple trip into the high street would save you the bother.

My knowledge of Thurso is Tesco and Lidl's,
I am not what could in any way be considered a local, rather a newbie to Caithness in general and when time is tight, there is simply no time to peruse the shops regardless of where they may be.

And, I don't think I had a massive "rant", YET.
..................I do thank you for your interest though. :)

sids
13-Oct-10, 20:10
Explain please what could you mean by such a remark

You surprise me.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pickled

pickled

— adj
1. preserved in a pickling liquid
2. informal intoxicated; drunk