PDA

View Full Version : new swing park, thurso (duck pond)

balto
11-Oct-10, 21:02
I went down today for the 1st time since it was opened, and must say im impressed witht he set up, the only thing that worries me is that there is no fence around it as it is very close to the duck pond, and as the park is on a slight hill is would make it hard for a little one to stop if they were to start running towards the duck pond, now mayby i am being over sensitive but how long before a child goes in the water, surly they could just put a little fence round the park to keep the kids safe.

Tugmistress
11-Oct-10, 21:07
I MAy sound a little harsh here, but what has happened to good old common sense and parental/adult supervision? why should we depend on a nanny state?

balto
11-Oct-10, 21:14
I MAy sound a little harsh here, but what has happened to good old common sense and parental/adult supervision? why should we depend on a nanny state?
i know what you are saying , but surly it would make parents feel at ease, lets say they have a couple of young kids with them if there was a small fence round it, thats all im saying.

unicorn
11-Oct-10, 21:17
I go down regularly with little ones even before there was a park and have never had a problem supervising little ones.
It is just a place where people will have to be more vigilant as you should be in any swing park with small children.

Tugmistress
11-Oct-10, 21:17
Maybe i am old fashioned, when i was little there were only fences at roadside parks, if at all sometimes just a barrier, parents had more than one child then and managed, it's too much of a nanny state we live in now is what i am saying - bring back common sense :)
From about the age of 7 me and a load of frinds would walk about a mile down the village and go play on the playing fields maybe wander a little further and play by the river unsupervised as we already knew where not to go and what not to do, kids have to learn as they grow up not be wrapped in cotton wool.

unicorn
11-Oct-10, 21:24
I was actually watching something on tv recently where they were saying the amount of children in the last 10 years being admitted to a&e departments had gone up considerably and maybe the government should look into the reason, I was shouting at the tv that it's because children are no longer taught about risk and this in my opinion is the governments fault, everything must be risk assessed and risk eliminated.
How can children learn if nobody teaches them to do things in a safe and sensible manner. They need to learn, we all done it, we all had minor accidents but we learned.

Dadie
11-Oct-10, 22:04
Iona has a death wish at parks running near the swings while others are swinging on them...trying to step off the roundabout while its going..but kids will be kids, and you cannot wrap them up in cotton wool.
The odd bump will happen and inevitably does...but its all part of learning about risks..as long as the major bangs/bumps are avoided as best as I can the odd grazed knee etc is nothing.
And even with 3 kids under 5 I can read a mag and avoid any running out the park bit towards the pond!

samf1971
11-Oct-10, 22:09
Ive deleted my post tbh i shouldnt use the wifes id i will get shafted for that ...just that ....dont bother Chris lifes hard enough with an Autistic child .............

Carole
11-Oct-10, 22:27
It was lovely to see so many children enjoying the new play area today. I spoke with several mums and a grandma - all said they were disappointed that there was no fence and I feel sure that there will be one put up before long. Much of the equipment is designed for quite little ones and the distance between the play area and water is very short. Much too risky.

Also, it would be good to see a barrier between the many dogs walked in that area and the kids who are racing around playing - for the safety of all.

balto
11-Oct-10, 22:31
It was lovely to see so many children enjoying the new play area today. I spoke with several mums and a grandma - all said they were disappointed that there was no fence and I feel sure that there will be one put up before long. Much of the equipment is designed for quite little ones and the distance between the play area and water is very short. Much too risky.

Also, it would be good to see a barrier between the many dogs walked in that area and the kids who are racing around playing - for the safety of all.thankyou, i was getting worried that i was the only one concerned about this.

Dadie
11-Oct-10, 22:42
Im more worried with the mindless vandalism that renders most parks out of use for varying lengths of time...
The nold park (which is a very nice park for wee ones) has had rude words scrawled over the play equipment, something sticky and pink poured on the equipment, the swings wrapped round the stands and broken glass on the ground in the last visit by family!

Vistravi
11-Oct-10, 22:46
Im more worried with the mindless vandalism that renders most parks out of use for varying lengths of time...
The nold park (which is a very nice park for wee ones) has had rude words scrawled over the play equipment, something sticky and pink poured on the equipment, the swings wrapped round the stands and broken glass on the ground in the last visit by family!

Not to mention used condoms and needles found in some parks :eek:

balto
11-Oct-10, 22:53
Not to mention used condoms and needles found in some parks :eek:

The nold park (which is a very nice park for wee ones) has had rude words scrawled over the play equipment, something sticky and pink poured on the equipment, the swings wrapped round the stands and broken glass on the ground in the last visit by family!surly this is another good reason to have a fence round it, and for it only to be opened during say daylight hours.

Dadie
11-Oct-10, 22:55
It has a fence round the play area...which makes it more attractive to the teen thugs...somehow!

Vistravi
11-Oct-10, 22:58
It has a fence round the play area...which makes it more attractive to the teen thugs...somehow!

Something to climb! Shows our evolution very well ;)

Dadie
11-Oct-10, 23:23
Aye its the mentality of teen thugs...Im not supposed to be here therefore its really really cool of me to be here...and lets see what we can wreck while we are at it...sad but true:(

changilass
11-Oct-10, 23:37
If the kids are being supervised appropriately then parents should feel happy without the need for a fence.

Bloo
12-Oct-10, 00:00
I think the park is quite smart. Very nice...For a few weeks yet. Think we need our own Harry Brown sometimes[lol]

On topic though, very swish looking park and on the whole fence thing, Unless your kid's cant stop moving there legs and run towards then i cant really see the need for a fence myself. Would make the boating pond look a bit strange with a little fance thats just *there*.

*Martin*
12-Oct-10, 00:30
I had one of my daughters and a nephew at it tonight and they had a fantastic time!

The swing shaped like a car seat is fantastic!

My nephew loved the exercise equipment, kept goin on about how strong he'll be after 3 hours working out on everything! :)

My only fault against the new park is the zip slide. The chain is too long. My wee lass got just past half way and the seat scraped the ground!

chamb
12-Oct-10, 00:42
Cant say i thought it was that good, when we took our son there on saturday it was very busy and like balto i thought there should be a barrier between the play area and the pond. The equipment doesnt look like it will last that long and my thoughts were the money may have been better put on the play parcks that already exist, rather than taking equipment out of them as they cant afford to maintain it.

I hope i am proved wrong, that the new play park will be in the condition it is now for years to come and that there is no accidents with kids and the pond? But time will tell!!!

Bobinovich
12-Oct-10, 00:47
The zip slide was fine to begin with but I think has just loosened during the initial settling period. I've already reported it, along with a few other equipment settling problems I noted during recent visits. I've also suggested that a bin should be sited there as there was quite a build up of litter and broken glass - it'll be a shame if vandals ruin a great facility with mindless tomfoolery.

With regard to the OP's thoughts I really do think it's up to the responsible person accompanying any younger children to ensure they stay clear of the duck pond. I'd say the distance is sufficient that said person, who probably won't be that far away from the youngster(s) anyway, should be able to stop them should they head in that direction.

Other than that I'd like to offer my congratulations to The Rotary Club of Thurso & Thurso Town Improvements Association for providing an excellent facility in a great location.

Fisherbigin
12-Oct-10, 20:18
Common Sence,where can you buy it,does Tesco have it in store?

Dadie
13-Oct-10, 12:36
Its a lovely park..but could definately do with a couple of bins.
And someone has tied a knot on the zipslides chain to keep it off the ground in the interim!
Wee instruction boards or something would be handy for the gym type stuff....
Not once did either of my girls run towards the boating pond straight from the park...

Tubthumper
13-Oct-10, 14:02
I wonder why they don't install CCTV around playparks, to deter vandalism and offer confidence to young mams & dads (and grandfaithers!) with bairns?

golach
13-Oct-10, 14:05
I wonder why they don't install CCTV around playparks, to deter vandalism and offer confidence to young mams & dads (and grandfaithers!) with bairns?

Could it be the high cost of installing signs, warning that CCTV operates in that area.

Logical
13-Oct-10, 15:05
Could it be the high cost of installing signs, warning that CCTV operates in that area.

Paper signs written in crayon and some dummy CCTV cameras. I think it could be done for less than a tenner. :)

Bazeye
13-Oct-10, 18:45
Should be an adult one with zip slide, ball pool and bouncy castle. The perfect end to a night on the town.

Vistravi
13-Oct-10, 21:47
Should be an adult one with zip slide, ball pool and bouncy castle. The perfect end to a night on the town.

That sounds like great fun!
Im a big kid at heart. Next year im buying myself a 12 foot trampoline because I want one. The fact that my family will use it as well is an added bonus lol.

Ricco
16-Oct-10, 07:38
Maybe i am old fashioned, when i was little there were only fences at roadside parks, if at all sometimes just a barrier, parents had more than one child then and managed, it's too much of a nanny state we live in now is what i am saying - bring back common sense :)
From about the age of 7 me and a load of frinds would walk about a mile down the village and go play on the playing fields maybe wander a little further and play by the river unsupervised as we already knew where not to go and what not to do, kids have to learn as they grow up not be wrapped in cotton wool.

Quite agree, Tuggs. In my childhood in Thurso I used to go down by the river, down by the sea and up along the cliffs at Holborn Head; even cycled way out to Berrivale once. All at the age of 11/12.

Back a bit further, in Canada, I used to cycle or walk down to the river or up to Jackson's creek (would go for miles!) to fish or swim. We were taught to swim very young and knew what was safe and what wasn't. Of course there used to be the odd disaster - usually someone who ignored their training or couldn't swim.

crayola
16-Oct-10, 13:00
Paper signs written in crayon and some dummy CCTV cameras. I think it could be done for less than a tenner. :)
I'll supply the writing implements for free. :)

Scarybiscuits03
16-Oct-10, 14:57
I took my daughter along last week and I have to say my first thought as I walked up to it was that it was very close to the pond.
It's easy to say that your kids know better than to go near, but accidents happen. Kids get excited and could easily forget how close they are to the edge. It was fenced off when it was a crazy golf course and in the interest of child safety I would prefer if it had some sort of barrier.

balto
16-Oct-10, 15:31
I took my daughter along last week and I have to say my first thought as I walked up to it was that it was very close to the pond.
It's easy to say that your kids know better than to go near, but accidents happen. Kids get excited and could easily forget how close they are to the edge. It was fenced off when it was a crazy golf course and in the interest of child safety I would prefer if it had some sort of barrier.
thankyou another one that see's where im coming from.

balto
16-Oct-10, 15:32
Quite agree, Tuggs. In my childhood in Thurso I used to go down by the river, down by the sea and up along the cliffs at Holborn Head; even cycled way out to Berrivale once. All at the age of 11/12.

Back a bit further, in Canada, I used to cycle or walk down to the river or up to Jackson's creek (would go for miles!) to fish or swim. We were taught to swim very young and knew what was safe and what wasn't. Of course there used to be the odd disaster - usually someone who ignored their training or couldn't swim.
i was actually refering to children under 4, kids 11/12 would probably throw themselves in just for a bit of attention.

changilass
16-Oct-10, 15:50
At 3/4 you should be able to catch them afore they get near the water, if not then they need better supervision, that comes from adults, not fences.

poppett
16-Oct-10, 16:29
A gated fence would have the advantage of keeping the pooing dogs away from the games, and the children safe from the water.

Issues aside it was nice to pass that way last week and see the playthings busy with youngsters...................what about a swing for the grown ups ............please!!

suzyq
16-Oct-10, 17:02
I hate to say this but wouldn't a fence be more of a hazard than simply falling in the pond - At least with the latter they have a soft landing.

balto
16-Oct-10, 17:27
I hate to say this but wouldn't a fence be more of a hazard than simply falling in the pond - At least with the latter they have a soft landing.
are you for real.

Ricco
16-Oct-10, 18:21
Is this 'duck pond' the ol' boating pond? If it is (or if it is similar) kids played near, around and even in there for years without mishap. Why should things change now?? :eek:

Bobinovich
16-Oct-10, 19:20
...It was fenced off when it was a crazy golf course...

I think that was more as the golf course was a pay-per-use facility - no fences = no control of who plays, same goes for the trampolines.

The pond has been there for years and, AFAIK, there has been no mishap with youngsters. Yet I've seen plenty of kids going round safely on bikes or running round the path, etc. so why should the new playpark be any different? Definately up to the responsible adult with any junior to ensure they remain safe IMO.

changilass
16-Oct-10, 19:22
Ricco, things have changed as folks used to look out for their own (and even others) kids.

Nowadays its everyone for themselves.

Folks moan like merry hell about the nanny state and then when their bums aint wiped for them they cry like babies.

Dadie
16-Oct-10, 19:40
Its been vandalised already!:(
Pathetic.......(thinking of words I can use on here)
When such a lot of effort has gone in to making it really nice and with things for all ages to use for it to be spoilt already.

Carole
16-Oct-10, 20:20
I wonder how many of the 'no fence' posters have seen the situation when there are lots of very young children having a great time in the play area?

Carole
16-Oct-10, 20:24
[quote=poppett;773201]A gated fence would have the advantage of keeping the pooing dogs away from the games, and the children safe from the water.

Thank you.

Dadie
16-Oct-10, 20:24
Yes seen it.
have 2 wee ones running round and another in the buggy...
And lots of other wee ones running around...all having FUN!

balto
16-Oct-10, 20:34
Its been vandalised already!:(
Pathetic.......(thinking of words I can use on here)
When such a lot of effort has gone in to making it really nice and with things for all ages to use for it to be spoilt already.
thats just disgusting, when will these mindless idiots learn to just leave things alone.[evil]

suzyq
16-Oct-10, 20:46
are you for real.

Yes I am - I've seen kids running in to fences come away with nasty cuts and bruises, cracked teeth etc. I've seen kids running in to water come away with no more than wet clothes and a little loss of diginity. No harm suffered and the lesson learnt - look where they are going!

Scarybiscuits03
16-Oct-10, 23:31
Im quite disgusted with most of the responses.
I have never, in my life seen a play area so close to a pond/lake/loch - even the one at West Gills that has a little stream running past it has a fence around it!
There are a number of different circumstances where things can go wrong. For example, what if you were a childminder with a number of kids of a young age and they all head off in different directions towards the pond - which one would you save?
You wont feel the same if it is one of your own that end up face down in the pond, NO you'll be looking for someone to blame - well that person will be you for you irresponsible comments on this thread!
I'd also like to say they that the Rotary club have done a fantastic job in getting it together but if the council could chip in that extra bit to make it safer it would be much appreciated.

Scarybiscuits03
16-Oct-10, 23:36
Yes I am - I've seen kids running in to fences come away with nasty cuts and bruises, cracked teeth etc. I've seen kids running in to water come away with no more than wet clothes and a little loss of diginity. No harm suffered and the lesson learnt - look where they are going!

Running into a fence is better than drowning in my book!!!

Tugmistress
16-Oct-10, 23:44
Be as disgusted as you like, it doesn't change my view that the adult/guardian/parent taking child/children to the park should be supervising the minors properly, not relying on a fence that the nanny state has erected for child/childrens safety.

Scarybiscuits03
17-Oct-10, 00:01
TUG..OMG Nanny State!!!!! Can you quote it much more?
Nanny State - well lets not have seat belts in cars because thats being over protective!!!!
VICTORIA WALK...no fence there - but how many lives have been ruined/lost?

Lets see how you feel when you have grandkids that are playing there!!!
It's better to be safe than sorry - isn't that's all that matters?

P.S - even an adult can be distracted........surely you cannot state this has not happened to you?????

changilass
17-Oct-10, 00:06
So lets just wrap them in cotton wool and put them in a sealed bubble so they cannae catch owt or hurt themselves.

At what point exactly do you suggest we finally let them learn by their own mistakes, albeit minor mistakes as we are supervising them properly in the first place.

Having said that, if you are so concerned I am sure the council would accept your money should you wish to pay for the fence you so desperately want.

Scarybiscuits03
17-Oct-10, 00:17
So lets just wrap them in cotton wool and put them in a sealed bubble so they cannae catch owt or hurt themselves.

At what point exactly do you suggest we finally let them learn by their own mistakes, albeit minor mistakes as we are supervising them properly in the first place.

Having said that, if you are so concerned I am sure the council would accept your money should you wish to pay for the fence you so desperately want.

Wow - I pity ur kids!
Are you reading magazines whilst they play as well?...Not something Id choose to do so near to the water whilst my kid played, and I only have one! Goes to show how many responsible parents there are out there!

Also I would be willing so contribute to a fund that was raising money for a fence - because I would rather save a life than hear of one lost!

changilass
17-Oct-10, 00:22
Do you only read what you want regardless of what is typed?

I suggest you actually read all of my post before commenting on any kids I may have.

Carole
17-Oct-10, 00:33
Yes seen it.
have 2 wee ones running round and another in the buggy...
And lots of other wee ones running around...all having FUN!

Yes it's wonderful that they are all having great fun. Super to see, just be sure not to take your eye off them.

Scarybiscuits03
17-Oct-10, 01:10
Do you only read what you want regardless of what is typed?

I suggest you actually read all of my post before commenting on any kids I may have.

I was commenting on another post hence it being a question!

The fact being - like I've said before, it's better to be safe than sorry - if you dont believe that then ....Good Luck to you and urs, but if that's your opinion then.....well!!!!
You dont have to argue - just be sensible about the issue

macgee
17-Oct-10, 09:12
I agree it needs a fence. I don't believe that would be wrapping children up in cotton wool etc.. I think it is just being safe. Children learn from their mistakes and a bit of rough and tumble,yes, but how can they learn when they are face down in a pond. As previous posts have said, it only takes a distraction and a few seconds for a very serious accident to happen

balto
17-Oct-10, 09:13
Im quite disgusted with most of the responses.
I have never, in my life seen a play area so close to a pond/lake/loch - even the one at West Gills that has a little stream running past it has a fence around it!
There are a number of different circumstances where things can go wrong. For example, what if you were a childminder with a number of kids of a young age and they all head off in different directions towards the pond - which one would you save?
You wont feel the same if it is one of your own that end up face down in the pond, NO you'll be looking for someone to blame - well that person will be you for you irresponsible comments on this thread!
I'd also like to say they that the Rotary club have done a fantastic job in getting it together but if the council could chip in that extra bit to make it safer it would be much appreciated.i think they would have to do a risk assesment before childminders could take small children there.:confused

Ricco
17-Oct-10, 09:15

Wow - I pity ur kids!
Are you reading magazines whilst they play as well?...Not something Id choose to do so near to the water whilst my kid played, and I only have one! Goes to show how many responsible parents there are out there!

Also I would be willing so contribute to a fund that was raising money for a fence - because I would rather save a life than hear of one lost!

I was commenting on another post hence it being a question!

The fact being - like I've said before, it's better to be safe than sorry - if you dont believe that then ....Good Luck to you and urs, but if that's your opinion then.....well!!!!
You dont have to argue - just be sensible about the issue

Sure looks like you were commenting on Changi's post to me... seeing as how you quoted it. Otherwise it may be better to multiple quote like this. I must say that I still disagree with a fence around the pond - that disadvantages the majority as well as mollicoddling (should that be one 'l';?) the bairns.
However, I DO agree with a fence around the playground. Many dog owners have never cared about the disease-ridden muck that their 'poochies' leave behind. I know that there are orgers with dogs who ARE responsible (I think Porshie is one of them) but they also would agree that there are those that don't.

Perhaps this is the compromise needed - ring-fence the playground, not the pond.

balto
17-Oct-10, 09:17
Sure looks like you were commenting on Changi's post to me... seeing as how you quoted it. Otherwise it may be better to multiple quote like this. I must say that I still disagree with a fence around the pond - that disadvantages the majority as well as mollicoddling (should that be one 'l';?) the bairns.
However, I DO agree with a fence around the playground. Many dog owners have never cared about the disease-ridden muck that their 'poochies' leave behind. I know that there are orgers with dogs who ARE responsible (I think Porshie is one of them) but they also would agree that there are those that don't.

Perhaps this is the compromise needed - ring-fence the playground, not the pond.all thats needed is a fence round the play park thats all, surely its better to be safe than sorry, i just hope that we never have to look back and say if only they had put a fence up.

Tugmistress
17-Oct-10, 09:38
TUG..OMG Nanny State!!!!! Can you quote it much more?
Nanny State - well lets not have seat belts in cars because thats being over protective!!!!
VICTORIA WALK...no fence there - but how many lives have been ruined/lost?

Lets see how you feel when you have grandkids that are playing there!!!
It's better to be safe than sorry - isn't that's all that matters?

P.S - even an adult can be distracted........surely you cannot state this has not happened to you?????

yes i can and probably will quote it again :lol:
seat belts - yes lets remove them, it might make people think more about their driving skills or lack of them :Razz
victoria walk - not a bad place if used sensibly :roll:

grandkids - i got a while to wait yet he is only 3 months old
safe than sorry - yes by using proper supervision and experience of age to know what kids are like and liable to do
yes been distracted but due to teaching my kids dangers/safe activities they have been ok

Carole
17-Oct-10, 10:51
........Perhaps this is the compromise needed - ring-fence the playground, not the pond.

I'm sorry, I thought that was what we were talking about all along?

Sage
17-Oct-10, 12:04
I really am shocked with this thread.

Whatever happened to parental supervision and common-sense? There is WAY too much "health and safety" these days...so much so that kids are being brought up with no idea of how to conduct themselves safely. You should teach children what is safe and what is not from an early age.

Fences can be dangerous, as well as water. Personally I think if you are supervising your children then there should be no problem...if they're old enough to need no supervision they should have common sense on their side.

The park is a brilliant addition to the town and if you're worried about the water there are plenty of fenced in playgrounds around the town to go to.

Rotary have spent an awful lot of time and care over this...isnt it better than what it's replaced?

crayola
17-Oct-10, 13:43
Good grief! What a fuss about a fence. :confused

Each of the swing parks in the area I lived when my kids were young had an unobtrusive fence around it. As I understood it this was mainly to keep out dogs but it also had the affect of defining an area that was intended for young children and it was also kept relatively free of rubbish and more importantly broken glass.

In the case of the new Thurso park it would have the added benefit of separating the swing park from the boating pond.

Carole
17-Oct-10, 15:20
Good grief! What a fuss about a fence. :confused
In the case of the new Thurso park it would have the added benefit of separating the swing park from the boating pond.

As well as separating kids from the water it would also reduce the likelihood of 'tag' type games spilling over onto the footpath where elderly and sometimes frail senior citizens walk.

Carole
17-Oct-10, 15:24
I really am shocked with this thread.
Rotary have spent an awful lot of time and care over this...isnt it better than what it's replaced?

No one has suggested that the new play park is anything other than a wonderful facility and of course it is very much better than what it replaced. However, from a safety angle, that doesn't mean that it can't be improved upon.

Ricco
17-Oct-10, 17:34
I'm sorry, I thought that was what we were talking about all along?

Sorry, I had the impression that there was a fence around the play park:

...and that the discussion was a fence around the pond.

Dadie
17-Oct-10, 18:36
I was talking about the wee park at the bignold...the nold bit for kids to play in that is fenced off.
Most parks are just fenced off from the roads, the rest of the area is free to play ...and as for reading a mag..I mean flicking through it or reading the courier or groat..all can be done in about 5 mins:lol:
While watching the girls play and feeding Euan or giving him a bottle!
Maybe I have been spoilt when I was little by going to big parks without fences round them when away from home...and thought they were better.

Vistravi
17-Oct-10, 21:47
I was talking about the wee park at the bignold...the nold bit for kids to play in that is fenced off.
Most parks are just fenced off from the roads, the rest of the area is free to play ...and as for reading a mag..I mean flicking through it or reading the courier or groat..all can be done in about 5 mins:lol:
While watching the girls play and feeding Euan or giving him a bottle!
Maybe I have been spoilt when I was little by going to big parks without fences round them when away from home...and thought they were better.

Aye you never really read a mag or paper properly when the kids are about only when they're tucked up in bed! I read when my boy is sleeping at night and sometimes when he's having a bottle in the morning. When he was younger i used to read while trying to settle him as it took away the worry of how long he'd been awake for and took the desperation i felt at times to get him settled again. A slow progress resulting in book finished eventually lol.

When i was a child there was a fenced park near our house and it was a huge park. It was great fun to play in as there was loads of space. It was fenced as it was near the roadside. There was also a big empty almost field size of grass next to it that was great fun to play in. it was unfenced but we knew to be causious of the road.

I think a fenced park may be a good idea but if its as small as the one at the boating pond it would make it seem smaller to the kids and may ruin their fun.

As you've and so many other posters have sasid with correct supervision the kids will be fine. It's important that kids learn how to take risks and to know how far they can go and still be safe. Wrapping our children in cotton wool and not letting them experience risk is daft and does not teach the child anything. When we teach our children how to handle risks and deal with them safely the child is much happier, more confident in their judgement and less scared of the unknown.

I read a story about a boy that climbed a low tree in his school, fell out and hurt his arm when he landed on it. Mother came in and sued the school and said school cut the tree down. Message to child is? Certainly not how to climb the tree safely and not to go too high!

Just now my 5 month son is always trying to sit up. I encourage him and help him by sitting behind him so that if he loses his balance he can fall back on me or by putting cushions behind him. He knows he has a safe landing behind him and uses it to try his best to sit up often leading to giggles when he topples back :lol: He knows if he goes too far back he will fall, already managing a controlled risk at 5 months old ;)

Kids need to learn how to handle risks safely and we as adults have to teach them how to do it safely. Relying on a fence to do that job for us is not the way to do it. With correct supervision there is no need for a fence. Children seek the unknown and if we do not teach them the dangers of things but how to still for example climb a tree safely then who will? What accidents to we cause by not teaching our children how to manage risks?

Ricco
18-Oct-10, 07:49
Aye you never really read a mag or paper properly when the kids are about only when they're tucked up in bed! I read when my boy is sleeping at night and sometimes when he's having a bottle in the morning. When he was younger i used to read while trying to settle him as it took away the worry of how long he'd been awake for and took the desperation i felt at times to get him settled again. A slow progress resulting in book finished eventually lol.

When i was a child there was a fenced park near our house and it was a huge park. It was great fun to play in as there was loads of space. It was fenced as it was near the roadside. There was also a big empty almost field size of grass next to it that was great fun to play in. it was unfenced but we knew to be causious of the road.

I think a fenced park may be a good idea but if its as small as the one at the boating pond it would make it seem smaller to the kids and may ruin their fun.

As you've and so many other posters have sasid with correct supervision the kids will be fine. It's important that kids learn how to take risks and to know how far they can go and still be safe. Wrapping our children in cotton wool and not letting them experience risk is daft and does not teach the child anything. When we teach our children how to handle risks and deal with them safely the child is much happier, more confident in their judgement and less scared of the unknown.

I read a story about a boy that climbed a low tree in his school, fell out and hurt his arm when he landed on it. Mother came in and sued the school and said school cut the tree down. Message to child is? Certainly not how to climb the tree safely and not to go too high!

Just now my 5 month son is always trying to sit up. I encourage him and help him by sitting behind him so that if he loses his balance he can fall back on me or by putting cushions behind him. He knows he has a safe landing behind him and uses it to try his best to sit up often leading to giggles when he topples back :lol: He knows if he goes too far back he will fall, already managing a controlled risk at 5 months old ;)

Kids need to learn how to handle risks safely and we as adults have to teach them how to do it safely. Relying on a fence to do that job for us is not the way to do it. With correct supervision there is no need for a fence. Children seek the unknown and if we do not teach them the dangers of things but how to still for example climb a tree safely then who will? What accidents to we cause by not teaching our children how to manage risks?

This is probably the best answer that has been posted on this thread - well done, Vistravi!

neilsermk1
18-Oct-10, 12:46

Well said, there are far too many parents out there who fail to realise that it is a large part of their job as a parent to educate their children, not leave it to others.
Its an unfair world out there, understanding risk and how to manage it is one of the essentials a parent must pass on to their children.

christina
18-Oct-10, 15:44
I have took the wee man to it a few times, he loves it there. It has been really busy when we have been there. Regarding the fence situation I think there should be as a lot of young kids go there. My wee one is 19 months and made a runner straight for the pond as fast as his legs could take him:confused. So we told him no but I dont quite thing an 19 month knows the dangers. Hopefully the park will provide years of play for the kids. :)

balto
18-Oct-10, 19:36
I have took the wee man to it a few times, he loves it there. It has been really busy when we have been there. Regarding the fence situation I think there should be as a lot of young kids go there. My wee one is 19 months and made a runner straight for the pond as fast as his legs could take him:confused. So we told him no but I dont quite thing an 19 month knows the dangers. Hopefully the park will provide years of play for the kids. :)
my little boy who is 2 next month did exactly the same thing, all it takes is a split second, this is why i think there should be a fence round it, as i said before i just hope no-one turns round and says if only.

Dadie
18-Oct-10, 20:04
If your wee ones are that interested in the water have them on reins..or wrist strap.
You would need it on the way to and from the playarea anyway as you would have to go nearer the boating pond to get to the play area anyway.

balto
18-Oct-10, 21:13
If your wee ones are that interested in the water have them on reins..or wrist strap.
You would need it on the way to and from the playarea anyway as you would have to go nearer the boating pond to get to the play area anyway.well given the age of them both, they would be in prams.

christina
18-Oct-10, 21:18
You would need it on the way to and from the playarea anyway as you would have to go nearer the boating pond to get to the play area anyway.

My son goes there to play so why should I put him on reins or a wrist strap. That is just waiting for an accident to happen having that on him in a play park. I just feel that its just so close to the water, which is fine but would of preffered a fence. Which is my opinion to which not everybody will agree as we all have different views on this.

balto
18-Oct-10, 21:24

My son goes there to play so why should I put him on reins or a wrist strap. That is just waiting for an accident to happen having that on him in a play park. I just feel that its just so close to the water, which is fine but would of preffered a fence. Which is my opinion to which not everybody will agree as we all have different views on this.

i was thinking the same thing but its pointless trying to get your point across, i know i wont be taking my ones back , will stick to the spring park terrece park, where it is fenced of and safe for kids of all ages to play.

Dadie
18-Oct-10, 22:16
Oh and I take it no one else noticed the roundabout and swing that was really thoughtfully put in that can be used by the physically impaired as well as small kids?
It would be very difficult to get a wheelchair in to the equipment if it was fenced off!

changilass
18-Oct-10, 22:36
Now now Dadie, dinnae be daft, you canne be having wheelchairs in swingparks someone might get run over, this will never get passed the H&S brigade.

Scarybiscuits03
18-Oct-10, 22:38
Oh and I take it no one else noticed the roundabout and swing that was really thoughtfully put in that can be used by the physically impaired as well as small kids?
It would be very difficult to get a wheelchair in to the equipment if it was fenced off!

Not really - you have an opening to get in.......my house has doors that can accommodate wheelchairs why wouldn't a fenced off area accommodate them?
I think this is all getting silly!
OK some folk think that it's not needed but some do and surely it wouldn't hurt anyone to just settle on it? Would your kids be more unsafe if there was a fence there?..No.......I think you'd probably relax and enjoy it more as well.
Safety isn't worth arguing over.....

squidge
18-Oct-10, 23:55
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

To fence or not to fence.....

I agree with Vistravi about the risk thing. There is a suggestion that we are seeing an increase in accidents in cars where young people are driving because they are not learning about risk when they are young. If we do not allow our children to take risks - fall out of trees, topple into ponds, find out its not a good idea to go hurtling down foxhill in their roller skates which dont have brakes on cos there is a wall at the bottom and they will go head over heels into the front garden of a house - then they never learn to measure risks for themselves. They get into a car and cant judge risks and bang an accident waiting to happen. I am not sure whether i totally agree but its an interesting idea.

What i do see all the time is parents being what i beleive is over cautious. Why do mums think they need to go on the bouncy castle with their three year olds when there are about 12 other kids for them to play with? Why do parents feel the need to follow their three, four and five year old around the apparatus at Playzone ( its a multi level climbing thing with slide and ball pools and stuff for kids to do and its BIG lol) when its very very safe? How do these children ever get the heart in the mouth feeling that comes with bouncing too hard or finding they have got stuck and having to get themselves out of it? I dont quite get it. These things are for children and for them to play with other children and take risks in a safe environment -why dont we let them get on with it? If we wont let our toddler run free in a safe place like playzone then we wont let them run free anywhere. Children have to stretch themselves. Its not healthy otherwise.

So im for not fencing.... there is no fence on the pond in Whin park here in inverness and it seems to work ok. yup i think i have decided for definite - no fence. :)

Scarybiscuits03
19-Oct-10, 00:40
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

To fence or not to fence.....

I agree with Vistravi about the risk thing. There is a suggestion that we are seeing an increase in accidents in cars where young people are driving because they are not learning about risk when they are young. If we do not allow our children to take risks - fall out of trees, topple into ponds, find out its not a good idea to go hurtling down foxhill in their roller skates which dont have brakes on cos there is a wall at the bottom and they will go head over heels into the front garden of a house - then they never learn to measure risks for themselves. They get into a car and cant judge risks and bang an accident waiting to happen. I am not sure whether i totally agree but its an interesting idea.

What i do see all the time is parents being what i beleive is over cautious. Why do mums think they need to go on the bouncy castle with their three year olds when there are about 12 other kids for them to play with? Why do parents feel the need to follow their three, four and five year old around the apparatus at Playzone ( its a multi level climbing thing with slide and ball pools and stuff for kids to do and its BIG lol) when its very very safe? How do these children ever get the heart in the mouth feeling that comes with bouncing too hard or finding they have got stuck and having to get themselves out of it? I dont quite get it. These things are for children and for them to play with other children and take risks in a safe environment -why dont we let them get on with it? If we wont let our toddler run free in a safe place like playzone then we wont let them run free anywhere. Children have to stretch themselves. Its not healthy otherwise.

So im for not fencing.... there is no fence on the pond in Whin park here in inverness and it seems to work ok. yup i think i have decided for definite - no fence. :)
Im not over cautious in fact in all of those situations I would be sitting back watching, Im not over- protective - doesn't mean a fence isn't needed......What is healthy - a lung full of dodgy water? It's not just about the kids falling in - but what about what might be in the water they inhale???! Disgusting!....Im sure when it comes down to it - there IS a safety issue regardless of how good you are as a parent!!!!! Everything needs to be taken into account!