PDA

View Full Version : Collapsed Trachea

porshiepoo
11-Oct-10, 15:35
Have any of you had any experience of this in a dog?

The toy breeds are prone to it and it looks as though our 15 year old Yorkie may be suffering from it.
It started with an occasional cough that honked and then a wretch at the end but got progressively more frequent until it suddenly appeared to be constant.

The vet initially diagnosed collapsed trachea and also treated him for Bronchitis (at least hubby THINKS that what they said :roll:) but we took him back today as the meds had no effect.
I've been concerned that his lungs would fill with fluid due to his shallow breathing and it sounds as this may now be the case.
His cough is now constant whenever he's awake - although he was suspiciously silent at the vets today. lol.
Vet is now treating him with meds to clear lung fluid as no one wants him to be xrayed until absolutely necessary due to his age.

He's also struggling to breathe out, almost like an asthmatic.

He's on new meds now but I just wondered if anyone else has experience of a collapsed trachea as I'm wondering what to expect.

Margaret M.
11-Oct-10, 16:52
I don't know any dogs that have had it but I hope the meds bring him relief.

teenybash
11-Oct-10, 17:13
so sorry your wee fella is having problems. I don't have any experience of this, but I would think if he wears a collar to remove this, so that there is nothing to cause discomfort around his throat. I am sure the vets will give him the best possible treatment and fingers crossed all comes right.