PDA

View Full Version : Thurso Swimming Lessons in Oct Hols

edayhouse
11-Oct-10, 14:02
Anybody know anything about the swimming lessons that were due to start today at Thurso Swimming Pool for the duration of the October holidays?? No thought not as neither did i!

Spoke to someone on Sat in the passing that said have you got the kids signed up for the lessons that are on in the Thurso pool during the Oct hols? I said no - i was at the pool at the beginning of the week and nobody mentioned them then but nevermind so i called the pool yesterday (sunday) to be told 'sorry only one person has signed up for these lessons so they have been cancelled, perhaps if you had called yesterday we could have ran the lessons but you are too late...' i then said well i didnt know about them but after speaking to some friends i know at least another 6 children that would be keen on coming along....could you speak to your boss or whoever is running the lessons - reply no sorry i am just the receptionist.

Another happy and helpful person at Thurso Swimming Pool, NOT!:(

rainbow
11-Oct-10, 21:17
I enquired about lessons some time ago during the holidays as it would be great for kids - especially when they are not overtired after a hard day at school. Not all children go away for the holidays, and maybe for some this is an ideal time to enrol in a 'crash course' in learning to swim. I was told that there was never any interest - but I have never seen any advertisements to offer this service, or market research of parents to gauge interest. In my opinion I feel the lack of information, is just to give the staff an easier time over the hols!!!!!

Bobinovich
12-Oct-10, 00:17
Well I picked up a yellow leaflet a week or two ago with all the info on it of what they were doing over the holiday. I booked my kids into the Rookie Lifeguard course, the first two levels of which they'd done and thoroughly enjoyed during the summer holidays.

Bookings for the lessons were being taken from Mon 27th Sept. so it sounds like one of you asked early, before they'd prepared the leaflet, and the other was just too late. It is unfortunate but the info. sheet was available.

annien24
12-Oct-10, 09:11
All the primary schools in the area where notified of the lessons being available with a view to a note being passed out to all kids, so if your child didnt get a note, its because the schools decided not to pass on the information. It has also been advertised in the pool, what else are the pool staff supposed to do to advertise the lessons?

The lessons havent been cancelled, they have been joined into one session in to two sessions as there wasnt enough uptake.

I think it is very unfair of people to be laying the blame on the pool staff, they are always helpful, and go out of thier way to put things on for the kids in the holidays - more than they bother to do in wick, so instead of gurning about the pool, you should be using it more and then they would know what interest there is for things.

edayhouse
12-Oct-10, 09:49
Ok so i am not to blame that the school did not give us the leaflet. Surely it would be common sense when we are in the pool with the kids on average twice per week for the staff behind the counter to say 'have you seen the leaflet about swimming lessons?' dont always notice leaflets lying around.

So the lessons havent been cancelled - i was told the wrong information (Again) when are they? are there places? As i didnt get much apart from 'I am just the receptionisy when i did try to enquire'.

And on the matter of Helpful and going out of there way - are we talking about the same swimming pool??

They could have even put a thread or info on Caithness.org if they needed to get more kids to take up the places for the lessons to run....a cop out i think!

annien24
12-Oct-10, 09:59
There are posters up in the pool, and the amalgamated group is full, they were joined together because there wasnt enough uptake for 2 groups of lessons.

k1rst1n27
13-Oct-10, 12:47
There was posters on the pool notice board for quite a while about swimming lessons, they didn't have a date on them so I asked at reception and they said enrolment was the 25th of September (I saw the notice about a month or two prior to that). I enrolled my daughter on the 25th and she has been going to the lessons this week (absolutely fantastic by the way...well worth signing them up).

Its ashame you were given that information when you called as its great to keep the kids busy during the hols! I wasn't sure if my daughter could make it through the holidays so they told me the next enrolment date is the 8th of January - you can choose a Monday afternoon or Saturday at 9am (depending on what spots are left - I was 3 hours in the queue and was there just before enrolment started so go down about 7.45/8ish to make sure you actually get them enrolled)