PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound familiar?

golach
11-Oct-10, 12:27
This could be the Org!!!!

In ancient Greece (469 - 399BC), Socrates was widely lauded for his wisdom.

One day an aquaintance ran up to him excitedly and said, "Socrates,do you know what I just heard about Diogenes?"
"Wait a moment" Socrates replied, "before you tell me I'd like you to pass a little test. It's called the Triple Filter Test".
"Triple filter?" asked the aquaintance.
"That's right" Socrates continued, "before you talk to me about Diogenes let's take a moment to filter what you're going to say"
"The first filter is Truth. Have you made absolutely sure that what you are going to tell me is true?"
"No, said the man " actually I just heard about it".
"All right" said Socrates " so you don't really know if it's true or not. Now let's try the second filter the filter of goodness. Is what you are about to tell me about Diogenes something good?"
"No, on the contrary".
"So",Socrates continued "You want to tell me something about Diogenes that may be bad and you're not sure if it's true or not?"
The man shrugged a little embarrassed. Socrates continued "You may pass the test though because there is a third filter,the filter of usefulness. Is what you want to tell me about Diogenes going to be useful to me?"
"No, not really"
"Well" concluded Socrates, "If what you want to tell me is neither True nor Good nor even useful, why tell me or anyone at all?"

The man walked away bewildered and ashamed, but he did feel that he had learned something from this great man. This is an example of why Socrates was recognised as the greatest of philosophers.

changilass
11-Oct-10, 12:29
Tut tut Gol, are you trying to shut down the forums?

ducati
11-Oct-10, 13:05
Prepare for the .org to be struck dumb......:eek:

joxville
11-Oct-10, 17:12
I think Golach made that up! ;)

Margaret M.
11-Oct-10, 17:30
I think Golach made that up! ;)

Naw, I think he heard it first hand. :D

Corrie 3
11-Oct-10, 17:31
Thats me finished on here then !!!!

C3......:roll:;):lol:

John Little
11-Oct-10, 17:47
Oh I don't know.

Things that are not true, not good and of no use are often used for disinformation.

Then if you say it often enough it becomes accepted as truth.
If you say something bad is good often enough then you can often, though not always, make it seem so.

And if something is useful then you tell people it is no use - and if they believe you then they will ignore it - leaving you a free hand to do as you wish.

Consider the case of social medicine in the US.

It's bad for the citizens.

It's evil and unamerican and will destroy public finance.

It doesn't work anyway - look at the British health service - it's a disaster.

There are other examples.

golach
11-Oct-10, 19:19
Naw, I think he heard it first hand. :D

I heard it in a till queue in Asda's better type rumour/scandal there than in Tesco's [lol]

George Brims
11-Oct-10, 19:43
Consider the case of social medicine in the US.

It's bad for the citizens.

It's evil and unamerican and will destroy public finance.

It doesn't work anyway - look at the British health service - it's a disaster.

Are you quoting those things as an example of misinformation, or are you daft enough to believe them?

John Little
11-Oct-10, 19:49
LOL. You sound very combative in my head today George.

As an example of course. It appears to me that millions of americans are being told these things every day. And that a lot believe them.

They have even organised a tea-party about it.....

fingalmacool
11-Oct-10, 19:53

One day an aquaintance ran up to him excitedly and said, "Socrates,do you know what I just heard about Diogenes?"
"Wait a moment" Socrates replied, "before you tell me I'd like you to pass a little test. It's called the Triple Filter Test".
"That's right" Socrates continued, "before you talk to me about Diogenes let's take a moment to filter what you're going to say"
"The first filter is Truth. Have you made absolutely sure that what you are going to tell me is true?"
"All right" said Socrates " so you don't really know if it's true or not. Now let's try the second filter the filter of goodness. Is what you are about to tell me about Diogenes something good?"
"No, on the contrary".
"So",Socrates continued "You want to tell me something about Diogenes that may be bad and you're not sure if it's true or not?"
The man shrugged a little embarrassed. Socrates continued "You may pass the test though because there is a third filter,the filter of usefulness. Is what you want to tell me about Diogenes going to be useful to me?"
"No, not really"
"Well" concluded Socrates, "If what you want to tell me is neither True nor Good nor even useful, why tell me or anyone at all?"

The man walked away bewildered and ashamed, but he did feel that he had learned something from this great man. This is an example of why Socrates was recognised as the greatest of philosophers.

You could have kept it caithness and said, " the Beegist dowg I ever seen was the one ma faither seen in Caseltoon":confused

George Brims
11-Oct-10, 19:55
I'm sure I've heard a joke based on that Socrates story, where the bloke wanders off muttering about Socrates' wife cheating on him with Diogenes.

George Brims
11-Oct-10, 20:00
LOL. You sound very combative in my head today George.
Sorry. I jgot up early and drove to an off-campus workplace today only to learn I should have checked my email before I left the house, as things didn't go well over the weekend and the job won't start until tomorrow. Then I had to drive across LA in horrible rush-hour traffic to my usual workplace, including a heart-stopping near miss with a homicidal nitwit in a Merc.

As an example of course. It appears to me that millions of americans are being told these things every day. And that a lot believe them.

They have even organised a tea-party about it.....
Too true. It's like Britain suddenly having a political party of Daily-Mail-headline-believers.

Ricco
16-Oct-10, 07:47

"No, on the contrary".
"No, not really"

Excellent! Very Socratean, Golach. Brought a smile to my face. :lol:

canuck
16-Oct-10, 20:37
Perhaps if we jumped ahead some 2500 years we could add two more filters:

- Does it serve as entertainment?
- Will it sell more cars?

But then Socrates lived in a very different age with a whole different set of societal values.