We don't want a big dog we we are looking for a medium sized dog
MUST BE WELL BEHAVED
We have tons of time for pets
Must have experience with cats
Needs to be good with kids
Thank you

herenow
11-Oct-10, 17:54
Try K1K9 they have a website i saw them today in pets at home they have some lovely dogs looking for new homes, give them a try.

cool
12-Oct-10, 17:27
Thank you i saw their website i have an interest in Suger (: just not sure yet and i saw them in pets at home aswell

dragonfly
12-Oct-10, 18:06
We don't want a big dog we we are looking for a medium sized dog
MUST BE WELL BEHAVED
We have tons of time for pets
Must have experience with cats
Needs to be good with kids
Thank you

I'm sorry but your post has confused me slightly and given the number of dogs on here for rehoming feel I have to point out that if you are wanting a puppy (as in 8-10 weeks) then you will not get one that is "WELL BEHAVED" - that is where you as an owner train it to be well behaved.

if on the other hand you are looking to rehome an older puppy then I am sure you will be guided by the body overseeing the rehoming

good luck in your search

bullielove
12-Oct-10, 18:20
I'm sorry but your post has confused me slightly and given the number of dogs on here for rehoming feel I have to point out that if you are wanting a puppy (as in 8-10 weeks) then you will not get one that is "WELL BEHAVED" - that is where you as an owner train it to be well behaved.

if on the other hand you are looking to rehome an older puppy then I am sure you will be guided by the body overseeing the rehoming

good luck in your search

lol thats what I was thinking... Puppy = well behaved, if only :lol:

My puppy managed to wreck my living room in one night.. and i had been boasting about how well behaved she was.. serves me right for being smart

Good luck finding your ideal dog

Miss Mack
12-Oct-10, 19:26
LOL. I've lost count of the amount of times I've thought.... right, she's (staffy pup) been so good, the cage can go away. Only to be proved so wrong !:confused

Liz
12-Oct-10, 19:42
Cool it depends what you mean by 'must be well behaved' ?:D

Benjy was a little monster when he was a puppy! We used to sit back and relax when he fell asleep and groan "Oh no he's awake"! when the podgy wee terror plodded into view!!!:lol:

He is now the funniest, loveliest friend I could ever wish for but most puppies are flipping hard work!!!!!!
You either need to put the work in, as Dragonfly said, or get an older rescue dog and a breed which suits your lifestyle.

GruesomeTwosome
13-Oct-10, 13:14
lol thats what I was thinking... Puppy = well behaved, if only :lol:

My puppy managed to wreck my living room in one night.. and i had been boasting about how well behaved she was.. serves me right for being smart

Good luck finding your ideal dog

Ha ha, me too, mine were at least 2 year old before they started to behave themselves and I dread to think how much in damages they cost! Love them to bits though, it was all worth the love they give back.

Dadie
13-Oct-10, 13:22
Puppy..well behaved...
They are the equivalent of a toddler...
And about as well behaved as one.
Try leaving an open tin of paint a brush and a toddler in the same room for 5 mins unsupervised...would you be suprised if everything was painted?
Now a puppy...that tasty looking corner of lino...5 mins...??
Potty training...toilet training...at least the puppy will get there quicker!

cool
13-Oct-10, 17:03
I know I said well behaved... if I did get a pup I would train it myself I was in a rush when I put this post on... Sorry for confusing you all.

Liz
13-Oct-10, 19:03
I know I said well behaved... if I did get a pup I would train it myself I was in a rush when I put this post on... Sorry for confusing you all.

That's okay some of us (well me anyway!) are easily confused!!!:lol:

Have you had any success in getting a puppy?

Jenni
13-Oct-10, 22:53
Hi Cool
I think you should seriously think about sugar who is currently with KWK9. I have one of the pups from her litter and mine is a very sociable, intelligent wee staffy. I have a brindle and white female. Sugar had already been spoken for by time I heard about them. I think the white is quite unusual. If she is developing as well as my pup then I am sure you will be delighted with her.
You could also speak to Richard and Vikki who were the breeders of these pups. I am sure they would answer any questions you have as they are experienced with staffies as they own both the mum and dad.

cool
19-Nov-10, 22:22
Hello Thank you for the help of finding a puppy...

I have now found a lovely Doberman pincher puppy and she is perfect, im still training her and now i understand what you all ment as puppys can be hard work, I take her on 2 hour walk in dunnet forest, and sometimes i let her run around without a lead as she does repond to her name- Her name is Bellatrix, And she is delightful, :)

Liz
19-Nov-10, 23:54

I have now found a lovely Doberman pincher puppy and she is perfect, im still training her and now i understand what you all ment as puppys can be hard work, I take her on 2 hour walk in dunnet forest, and sometimes i let her run around without a lead as she does repond to her name- Her name is Bellatrix, And she is delightful, :)

Really glad to hear that you got your lovely puppy.

Photos of Bellatrix please!!!:D

Leanne
20-Nov-10, 09:31

Please cut down your walks - puppies shouldn't have long walks as it can damage their joints :( 15 minutes to half and hour, 3 times a day, is plenty for a baby.

dragonfly
20-Nov-10, 09:44
agree with Leanne, too much for a young puppy, rule of thumb is 5 min x how many months old they are. over walking while their bones/joints are developing will cause problems (and expensive vet bills) in a few years time.

your puppy will benefit more from 30 min training sessions than long walks as it will mentally tire it out

Liz
20-Nov-10, 14:15
Please cut down your walks - puppies shouldn't have long walks as it can damage their joints :( 15 minutes to half and hour, 3 times a day, is plenty for a baby.

agree with Leanne, too much for a young puppy, rule of thumb is 5 min x how many months old they are. over walking while their bones/joints are developing will cause problems (and expensive vet bills) in a few years time.

your puppy will benefit more from 30 min training sessions than long walks as it will mentally tire it out

Oh I never noticed that Bellatrix was getting so much walkies. Agree with you both that this is too much and can cause damage.
Very tempting to take them out on long walks but not worth the risk.

porshiepoo
20-Nov-10, 16:23
Walking young dogs is a bone of contention (pardon the pun lol) to many people Cool.

I'm one of the people who sits on the fence on the subject though.
Before getting seriously involved with showing, I along with every other person I knew would take young dogs out and be ignorant to the idea of damage to the bones etc.
Have to say I've never ever had a dog have any kind of bone related problem due to walking.

IMO it depends largely on the breed. Big dogs such as my Great Dane that groe quickly but mature slowly can get awful bone problems due to too much walking at a young age. My alternative to lots of walks has always been free run as much as they want.
Free run can also cause an intake of breath to alot of people but every dog I've ever owned know its own limits. Great Danes are very very good at taking themself off to their cage for a sleep several times a day, young or old. And I've never had a problem from free run either.

Your aim just needs to be to work something out that suits yourself, your family and your new dog.
Try to find a happy medium whereby your dog doesn't tire too much but is sufficient to keep his mind sedated (for want of a better word). lol.
Don't forget that the Dobie is an intelligent dog and a powerful dog. They make great pets but his mind needs to be worked as much as his body.

The main thing is to enjoy your new dog. Be sensible with diet and exercise for him and try not to get too caught up in the world of what is considered right or wrong. Don't let it take the pleasure out of owning your dog and if you have any queries ask your vet during your visits.

The only thing I am a real stickler for (because I know the damage it can cause) is not exercising a dog an hour before or after a meal. Especially the deep bodied dogs such as the Shepherds, Dobies & Great Danes as it can very easily cause bloat which is a killer if it's not caught immediately, and with the nearest vet for me being 15 minutes away, I do everything to avoid it.