PDA

View Full Version : Weir/Hamilton

Bonnie Parker-Duke
10-Oct-10, 22:46
Am looking for descendants of Catherine Weir b. 11 December 1863 in Wick, dau of John Weir and Catherine Meiklejohn, and James Hamilton b. 23 December 1865 in Wick, son of Angus Hamilton and Catherine Sutherland. Their children were:

Catherine Hamilton b.1896 (I don't believe she ever married)

Barbara Hamilton b. 1897

Mary Weir Hamilton b. abt 1899, married Bernard Cleary and had children Owen, Catherine, Maureen, and James

Frank Hamilton (I think he may have died young)

James Angus Hamilton b. 1905, married Barbara Baikie and had children Isabelle and Olive

Donald Francis Hamilton married Elizabeth Bain and had children Catherine and David

I would appreciate any leads anyone could give. Thank you.

Bonnie Parker-Duke (descended from Catherine Weir Hamilton's elder sister Jane Christina Weir)
Joan Alexandra Hamilton

Bonnie Parker-Duke
10-Oct-10, 22:52
Am looking for descendants of Mary Weir b. 9 February 1858 in Wick, daughter of John Weir and Catherine Meiklejohn, and William (Will) Ireland b. about 1855 in Wick, son of John Ireland and Barbara Campbell. They had children:

Catherine J. Ireland b. Oct. 1882

John C. Ireland b. Nov. 1884

James Victor Ireland b. April 1887

William Ireland b. abt Jan 1890, d. Jan 1890, Dartford, Kent, England

Daniel Robert Ireland b. 17 March 1895

Will Ireland was a cooper and because of the lack of coopering jobs, moved around quite a bit. They also lived in Swanscombe, Wick and in Leith at various times.

Elise Linney
11-Oct-10, 09:26
Frank Hamilton didn't die young. He married Beth Bain from Wick, Caithness and had two children, Catherine and Stewart. Catherine went to school with my sister. She would have been born around 1949 and Stewart was about 2 years younger. I heard that Stewart died quite young but Catherine is still living in Wick under a married name. They lived at Brims, near Thurso and Frank's brother James and family lived next door. Frank died when Catherine was about 9 or 10 years and Beth and family then returned to Beth's family in Wick.
Thought you might be interested to know what happened to Frank Hamilton.
Good luck with your research.
Elise Linney
New Zealand

Bonnie Parker-Duke
12-Oct-10, 00:49
Thank you so much, Elise! Would your sister know how to contact any of that family? I would love to correspond with them. I have old family letters that I have transcribed and am scanning in the very near future. I'd like to update the family information and share the letters with them. Several of them were written by Catherine Weir Hamilton.

Bonnie Parker-Duke

Elise Linney
19-Oct-10, 03:33
Hello again Bonnie, I last saw Catherine when she was about 10 years old in the school bus. I think her father, Frank, died when she was about 9. I can't remember who told me she was married in Wick, but I will endeavour to find out for you through some local contacts in Caithness. I also remember Isabelle and Olive but don't know where they are now.
I will get back to you in due course.
Cheers
Elise

Bonnie Parker-Duke
20-Oct-10, 02:20
Thank you, Elise! I really appreciate your assistance! I look forward to hearing from you again. Just out of curiosity, where in New Zealand are you?

Bonnie

Elise Linney
23-Oct-10, 16:22
Hello again Bonnie. I'm in a suburb of Tauranga, North Island. You may know it.
Will contact you again if I make any progress with Catherine.
Cheers
Elise

Bonnie Parker-Duke
24-Oct-10, 02:09
Hello again, Elise!

Just yesterday, Catherine contacted me. She told me a bit about her family and then referred me to Owen Alistair Hamilton who has evidently done a family tree. I will write to him next week.

I cannot thank you enough for your assistance!

I found you on the north Island in our Atlas! It's good to know people everywhere, isn't it? I will always feel like I have a friend in New Zealand!

Thank you again! I hope I can be of assistance to you someday!

Bonnie

Elise Linney
27-Oct-10, 08:38
Pleased to hear that you have been in contact with Catherine. I'm glad I could help.
Good luck with your family research, Bonnie. Please give my regards to Catherine if you are in touch again.
Elise

Bonnie Parker-Duke
27-Oct-10, 16:31
Will do, Elise!

Bonnie

cathyg
01-Nov-10, 12:48
Delighted that you remembered me. I have been to Tauranga - didn't know you were there. We left Forss in 1962 when I was 13. My nephew Stewart has been in NZ for nearly a year and loving it. He also spent time in Tauranga and is now in Taupo. I have sent you a Private Message.

Cathy