PDA

View Full Version : Book Reviews

mccaugm
27-Jul-06, 22:57
I am becoming an avid book reader and was wondering if anyone wanted to post threads on books they have recently read. I know threads have discussed films but I thought books might be good to.

In the past few months I have read all of the Dan Brown Novels and am currently reading a book called "Liz Jones Diary - How a single girl got married". Its total chicklit but really funny - a real life Bridget Jones with a ring on her finger - just.

I have just bought a book after a recommendation on the Richard and Judy show. Its called The Island and is about a family and and and island of lepers...sounds gross but its apparently a really good read. :roll:

celtic 302
27-Jul-06, 23:03
i probably read stuff you dont like, mostly fantasy, but if u want a good book(s) read James Oliver Rigney jr's (better known as Robert Jordan) 11book series the wheel of time. or if u want somethin shorter, read some r a salvatore books. there fantsay, but deal with racial issues. read dark elf trilogy first.

mccaugm
27-Jul-06, 23:06
Thanks....will try the library as soon as I can..

Have to confess that I have tried to plough through the Harry Potter stories and the Lord of the Rings trilogy and just gave up.

celtic 302
27-Jul-06, 23:07
or look for R.Scott Bakker books if u want somethin deeper,

Errogie
31-Jul-06, 22:20
I've just read Cold Mountain by Charles Frasier for the second time then compared it with the movie on dvd which wasn't bad.
I'm told that the author based the heroes epic journey on either the Odyssey or the Illyiad but as I haven't read them I can't vouch for that but it's well written and the descriptions of the wilderness ring true. Nothing puts me of a book faster than a fact or description you just know is garbage unless of course the whole thing is a fantasy read.

Dali
31-Jul-06, 22:34
Thanks....will try the library as soon as I can..

Have to confess that I have tried to plough through the Harry Potter stories and the Lord of the Rings trilogy and just gave up.

Read mostly horror and true crime have some fantasy .
You are welcome to borrow any if you are interested mccaugm

Lolabelle
31-Jul-06, 22:41
I am reading Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code at the moment and am quite enjoying the story. I was prepared not to really like it and only decided to read it so I knew what people were talking about. But it is good.
I also love Minette Walters, great stand alone stories.

canuck
01-Aug-06, 01:18
I am reading Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code at the moment and am quite enjoying the story. I was prepared not to really like it and only decided to read it so I knew what people were talking about. But it is good.
I also love Minette Walters, great stand alone stories.

Lolabelle, at the top of the page you will see a line of words starting on the left with User CP. Go right to "Search". Pull it down and type in Da Vinci Code. You will find 3 or 4 threads that orgers have produced over the past year on the subject. They make for fascinating reading.

Lolabelle
01-Aug-06, 07:55
I quite like the australian author Matthew Riley aswell. He writes fast paced action stories. I got into him when I listened to his first book on CD. I like to listen to audio books when I am doing housework.

mccaugm
01-Aug-06, 10:40
Lolabelle, at the top of the page you will see a line of words starting on the left with User CP. Go right to "Search". Pull it down and type in Da Vinci Code. You will find 3 or 4 threads that orgers have produced over the past year on the subject. They make for fascinating reading.

I read all the Dan Brown books, they are a bit samey but good samey - if that makes sense.

Kingetter
01-Aug-06, 10:51
Richard Bach (Jonathan Livingston Seagull), and James A Michener - both are just fine for me.

Derlyn
01-Aug-06, 19:33
I am becoming an avid book reader and was wondering if anyone wanted to post threads on books they have recently read. I know threads have discussed films but I thought books might be good to.

In the past few months I have read all of the Dan Brown Novels and am currently reading a book called "Liz Jones Diary - How a single girl got married". Its total chicklit but really funny - a real life Bridget Jones with a ring on her finger - just.

I have just bought a book after a recommendation on the Richard and Judy show. Its called The Island and is about a family and and and island of lepers...sounds gross but its apparently a really good read. :roll:
I've just finished The Island, it was a brilliant book, once I started reading it I couldn't put it down. I went on a day trip to Spinalonga 7 years ago when I was on holiday in Crete and I could really relate to the book.

obiron
01-Aug-06, 20:32
i borrowed the first paul ferris book of o dunderheed what a crackin read it was need to borrow the next one. just finished a book about the murder of tupac shakur. interesting read too.

mccaugm
01-Aug-06, 20:45
I've just finished The Island, it was a brilliant book, once I started reading it I couldn't put it down. I went on a day trip to Spinalonga 7 years ago when I was on holiday in Crete and I could really relate to the book.

I have made a good start and its sooo lovely to read. A gentle read so far...will let you know what I make of it when its done.

Kaishowing
01-Aug-06, 20:49
If you like fantasy and a laugh, you'll love Alan Dean Foster's "Spellsinger" series.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0743498259/202-2577286-1776644?v=glance&n=266239&s=gateway&v=glance

If you like historical adventure, almost anything by Bernard Cornwell will suit you. My personal favourites of his are the "Starbuck" books.(mostly what could be termed 'male' literature)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/ref=nb_ss_b/202-2577286-1776644?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=bernard+cornwell

If you like travel books of a light-hearted vein, try anything by Bill Bryson.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/ref=nb_ss_b/202-2577286-1776644?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=bill+bryson

If you like imaginative comedy, you can't go far wrong with Tom Holt's books.....
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/ref=nb_ss_b/202-2577286-1776644?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=tom+holt
....or maybe something a little bit more involved but just as inventive, Terry Pratchet.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/ref=nb_ss_b/202-2577286-1776644?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=terry+pratchet

But if you want a really fulfilling read, you can't go far wrong with the classics. Don't get put off by the title of 'classic'. They're not all heavy going.
Dickins, Dumas, Twain, Swift etc... They're classics for a reason!:lol:
(my personal favourite 'The Count Of Monte Cristo' by Alexandre Dumas)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0679601996/202-2577286-1776644?v=glance&n=266239&s=books&v=glance

phoenix
01-Aug-06, 21:06
Im reading Psychic Protection at the moment by William Bloom.........highly recommended for any sensitive souls out there! :Razz

Cedric Farthsbottom III
01-Aug-06, 21:17
i borrowed the first paul ferris book of o dunderheed what a crackin read it was need to borrow the next one. just finished a book about the murder of tupac shakur. interesting read too.

Thats funny ye sayin' ye had read those books,cos I have read them too!!!!Obiron,ye would think we had the same library or bookshelf!!!!:lol: :lol: