PDA

View Full Version : Some help

Dadie
10-Oct-10, 19:20
Looking for some help getting started.
I want to make a quilt out of the girls baby clothes....as a useful item.. rather than having the clothes sitting in bags for sentimental reasons.
I would need help in getting the sewing machine looked at and threaded..before hand and need to master the basics...I would ask my mum but the last time I used her machine was for my sewing badge in Guides (which I "sewed" on my sash with copydex) .
Dont think that experience wants to be repeated by either of us!

_Ju_
10-Oct-10, 19:45
Dadie, you need to get the basics down before attacking the baby clothes, especially as alot of the tend to be jersey ( ie: knitted as opposed to woven). You can still use them, but with a stabilizer backing. There are many kinds of stabilizers. You would want to choose one that is not too stiff, especially if you wanted to get a cuddly quilt out of it.
Your machine does not need to be super-duper, but it does need to be clean ( especially in the bobbin carriage part), oiled and with tensions properly adjusted or you will give up argueing with it very quickly! And give up on the quilt at the same time.
There are several quilting groups in caithness. Caithness quilters being one. But ask around.I am sure you will find what is right for you.