PDA

View Full Version : Cheaper fuel in remote areas

bekisman
10-Oct-10, 13:26
Think I've heard this before? although looks like it's the islands (Hi Pat!) could be helped...

The UK government hopes to bring in a scheme to cut the cost of petrol in some of the country's remotest communities, it has been revealed. Chief Secretary to the Treasury Danny Alexander said officials were in talks to introduce a duty discount.

He told the Liberal Democrat conference in Dunfermline that up to 5p could be saved on a litre of fuel. Mr Alexander said the government hoped to start a pilot scheme in the Hebrides, Orkney and Shetland.

However, Mr Alexander warned that introducing the measure - which was included in the coalition agreement with the Tories - would "not be easy" as the European Commission has to give its backing. He said: "I can announce today that with my approval, Treasury officials have started the process of engaging with the European Commission on our detailed plans.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-11505044

Corrie 3
10-Oct-10, 13:38
What the Heck has it got to do with Europe???
If our Govt wants to do something along these lines then they should just go ahead and do it....Just WHO is running our country??????

C3...(so angry)................[evil][evil][evil]

nightspirit
10-Oct-10, 18:59
Not knocking the idea - but ur petrol is usuall 1p per liter cheaper than here in inverclyde and that is only 26m from glasgow ....lol