PDA

View Full Version : Trapped Miners

Kevin Milkins
10-Oct-10, 11:12
What a great relief it must be that an end is possibly in sight for the thirty three miners that have been trapped under ground for sixty six days,:Razz

I started my working life down a coal mine and I still can't imagine how awful it must be for them.

What the hell kept you? After 66 days underground, immortal ... (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1319205/Chilea-miners-greet-rescuers-66-days-trapped-underground.html)

http://db2.stb.s-msn.com/i/1B/5ADAFD2ED3796181803595FF57857.jpg

cherokee
10-Oct-10, 12:18
God Bless Them.

May they all make a safe "return" to their families.

Liz
10-Oct-10, 13:21
I am so glad that their release is imminent.:D

Can't imagine how they must have felt trapped for all this time.

joxville
10-Oct-10, 13:38
Yes, great news for a change; I wonder if they'll be paid overtime while they were there?

joxville
10-Oct-10, 13:47
Do chefs recommend it as a way to store your chillies? :D

Dadie
10-Oct-10, 18:49
Good news .. but I wouldnt fancy being the first one up in that pod..or the last either.

Geo
10-Oct-10, 23:40
I can't imagine what they've gone through. Really hoping they are at the end of their ordeal.

sassylass
11-Oct-10, 02:15
Do chefs recommend it as a way to store your chillies? :D

This is not a joking matter.

Margaret M.
11-Oct-10, 16:43
Let's hope they all get out safely although the miner whose wife met his girlfriend of 5 years while holding vigil, may not want to come out.

George Brims
11-Oct-10, 19:49
I think we now know which guy will be last out!

This really is great news, considering they were predicted at the beginning to be in there until about Christmas. I heard a Sky News reporter (who sounded like a right pompous wally) on our news radio this morning. He said four people will go down first, two mine rescue experts and two paramedics, before they send anyone up. Some politico was on TV the other day showing off the sunglasses they are sending down to the miners so they can wear them when they come up into the light.

John Little
11-Oct-10, 19:51
Let's hope they all get out safely although the miner whose wife met his girlfriend of 5 years while holding vigil, may not want to come out.

Really? I didn't hear that. LOLOLOL!!!
Ain't life grand!

theone
11-Oct-10, 22:59

Read about him.

He's in trouble methinks.

Dadie
11-Oct-10, 23:03
Unless he gets lots of compensation....I would stay down there as long as possible....:lol:

Kevin Milkins
11-Oct-10, 23:06
Unless he gets lots of compensation....I would stay down there as long as possible....:lol:

I think it's fair to say that one way or the other , he's going to get shafted. :lol:

balto
11-Oct-10, 23:09
i was just thinking the same thing,he will be dreading coming out, glad though they are nearly home.

DeHaviLand
12-Oct-10, 11:01
I think it's fair to say that one way or the other , he's going to get shafted. :lol:

You better hope Sassylass doesn't read this, or you'll be in trouble along with Joxville. Major sense of humour failure going on, methinks.

northener
12-Oct-10, 12:57
Looking at the small size of that ' rescue cage' I almost wish I'd been down there with them.:eek:

It's the sort of motivation I need to get me to lose about 2 1/2stone.:Razz

ducati
12-Oct-10, 12:59
Yes, I think I would be still down there at Christmas.

SunnyChick
12-Oct-10, 13:18
I can't wait until they are all back on the right side of the ground!

I am also pretty scared for them, as surely their ascent will be a tricky operation in that capsule, in those conditions.

Once they are all up, I will probably cry (a lot) and celebrate! :D

Metalattakk
12-Oct-10, 14:28
I get the feeling the media frenzy will be more stressful than being trapped down the mine.

Poor chaps have had it easy so far. ;)

TudorRose
12-Oct-10, 14:38
What a great relief it must be that an end is possibly in sight for the thirty three miners that have been trapped under ground for sixty six days,:Razz

I started my working life down a coal mine and I still can't imagine how awful it must be for them.

I agree with your quote, my grandfather was a coal miner in Wales, until he was injured 'down the pit'.

I hope and pray, that everything goes well and we all can celebrate the miners safe return. :)

Mrs Bucket
12-Oct-10, 14:58
I wish the miners all the very best. Thank you Jox I thought you had lost it but that was as good as ever. You gotta loosen up and have a laugh even when things are looking bleak

joxville
12-Oct-10, 19:35
I heard on Radio 2 news that the first rescue could be in 5hrs time; good luck to the guys, a hell of an ordeal for them.

Kodiak
12-Oct-10, 19:37
I just heard on Channel 4 News that the rescue should start in only 2 Hours time at about 21.30 hrs our time.

I wish them all well and I hope they all get out safely.

Aaldtimer
13-Oct-10, 04:17
The first man is on the surface! Let's hope all the rest can come up safely!:)

teenybash
13-Oct-10, 05:22
2nd miner safely to surface..... he was euphoric....wonderful.:)

Dadie
13-Oct-10, 08:48
4 rescued now!

cherokee
13-Oct-10, 09:07
The rescuers are doing a fantastic job !!

Praying that all goes safe and well now for the others !!

Just can't even begin to imagine what it must feel like for those poor miners, having been trapped for so long, to finally see daylight and their loved ones again............

Logical
13-Oct-10, 13:33
10 now, this is looking like a success so far.

Wish the other 23 all the best.

TudorRose
13-Oct-10, 14:19
Well, the twelfth miner has just been rescued. Keeping everything crossed for the other twenty one miners and also the rescue team who went down the mine, to assist with the miners rescue.
I won't be able to settle properly, until everyone is safely out.

David Banks
13-Oct-10, 14:30
CNN are reporting that one miner has diabetes and another has black lung disease -- but medically they are all OK so far (excuse me?).

I guess it all depends on your point of view.

Liz
13-Oct-10, 19:07
It's been amazing seeing all these miners being rescued and reunited with loved ones.
I think there will be huge sigh of relief from us all when the last miner appears!
Has the one who has a wife and mistress appeared yet? I would sooooooo love to see his reunion!:lol:

teenybash
13-Oct-10, 19:29
They are thinking the rescue could be completed tonight......it is just wonderful watching these men emerging one by one.......nineteenth miner just about to exit the cage.

Corrie 3
13-Oct-10, 19:45
Is it ironic that its Margeret Thatchers 85th Birthday today and she is watching Miners rejoicing on the TV ?

C3....:roll:;)

mums angels
13-Oct-10, 20:48
It's been amazing seeing all these miners being rescued and reunited with loved ones.
I think there will be huge sigh of relief from us all when the last miner appears!
Has the one who has a wife and mistress appeared yet? I would sooooooo love to see his reunion!:lol:

He was brought up a few minutes ago - i think he looked like he would rather have stayed where he was . it wasnt sure if it was the wife or the girlfriend that greeted him however reports had said that it would be his girlfriend and not his wife of 28 years and he has also apparenlty signed power of attorny over to the girlfriend . I hope his wife has the good sense not to take him back !

Dadie
13-Oct-10, 21:18
He was definately stuck between hell and a hard place....
If he doesnt watch out at least one of the women (if not both) will want him put back down the hole!

John Little
13-Oct-10, 21:57
I think I can answer that Iffy. Mining is deep in the grain of this nation- in 1910 it was the single biggest employer in the country. I fancy that I am typical of many - my great grandfather was a collier, and my grandfather, and my uncle - in deep mines below the sea.

My mother stood as a teenage girl on the brow above the pit where her step-sister's husband had just died and saw the men carried out.

Britain has had its fair share of mining disasters and yet men still went down to cut coal and provide for their families.

If they opened the deep mines again then I think they would again queue up to get jobs.
Despite this.

http://www.dmm.org.uk/mindex.htm

We've seen a miracle today - I hope those men do not suffer any more.

mums angels
14-Oct-10, 02:51
Have just watched the last of the rescue and have to say very moving and emotional scenes they were .. all day the miners have showed great spirt and faith . Hope that all the trapped miners and their families manage to settle back into some normality as soon as possible .

Aaldtimer
14-Oct-10, 03:04
Have been watching this...the gaffer was the last one up, and a very poignant scene.
The TV coverage seems to have forgotten that there's another 6 rescuers to come up though![evil]

Aaldtimer
14-Oct-10, 04:35
The last of the rescuers now back on the surface! Job done. Fantastic!:)

Dadie
14-Oct-10, 09:26
Everyone out now...
Wonder how they will all settle down to life after the hype dies down...
It will be like a rollercoaster ride for the next few weeks then....nothing!

Geo
14-Oct-10, 10:14
the miner whose wife met his girlfriend of 5 years while holding vigil, may not want to come out.

Man he's really dug himself into a hole there.

Liz
14-Oct-10, 13:20
What a relief that everyone is out!!! It's a day we'll all remember for a very long time.

Looks like they are going to be rich with all the book and film deals coming their way and they deserve it after all they've been through.

Still nothing will compare with just being alive!:D

mums angels
14-Oct-10, 13:21
Have been watching this...the gaffer was the last one up, and a very poignant scene.
The TV coverage seems to have forgotten that there's another 6 rescuers to come up though![evil]

I was watching BBC news coverage and they were filming the rescuers come up and did keep saying that it wouldnt be all over until the rescuers /medics also came up. Even had the coverage of the rescuers celebrating down below when the last miner was brought up . Well done to them all, very brave men.

Liz
14-Oct-10, 13:33
I was watching BBC news coverage and they were filming the rescuers come up and did keep saying that it wouldnt be all over until the rescuers /medics also came up. Even had the coverage of the rescuers celebrating down below when the last miner was brought up . Well done to them all, very brave men.

It was wonderful to be able to see down where the miners were trapped as well!
The BBC newsteam did us proud.
Also the whole team who made everything go so smoothly and stayed awake all, or most, of the time.
Wasn't the Chilean President great?!

As you rightly said. mums angels, the rescuers/medics were amazing and put their own lives at risk. So very glad it was a happy outcome for everyone.:D

TudorRose
14-Oct-10, 13:42
The last of the rescuers now back on the surface! Job done. Fantastic!:)

Agree, wonderful news that all the miners were safely rescued. Wishing them peace, so that they can slowly come to terms with being back 'in the real world'. :)

After an experience like they have had, I wonder if any of them would choose to go back down the mine, or whether economics will force their hand.

Wishing them and their families all good things. :)

Corrie 3
14-Oct-10, 14:34
A brilliant job well done...:)
I cant help but feel if it had happened in Britain that Health & Safety Officials would still be discussing how to start the drilling without anyone getting bruised or scratched!!!!!

C3.......:roll:;)

northener
14-Oct-10, 14:59
They missed a trick.

If they'd sent down a slightly larger rescue team, they could have all painted numbers on their hard hats between 1 and 48.

Then we could have had the next lottery draw as they emerged in random order from the shaft.

Absolutely no idea about promotion, these Johhny Furriners.

TudorRose
14-Oct-10, 15:14
They missed a trick.

If they'd sent down a slightly larger rescue team, they could have all painted numbers on their hard hats between 1 and 48.

Then we could have had the next lottery draw as they emerged in random order from the shaft.

Having just read your last post, I'm wiping the tears from my eyes. :D

teenybash
14-Oct-10, 15:23
Good luck to the miners and best wishes that they now go on and have a trouble free future.:)

Geo
14-Oct-10, 15:29
How long before someone buys the rights to the movie?

teenybash
14-Oct-10, 18:00
How long before someone buys the rights to the movie?

Not long as there was mention of a film before all the miners were out....good luck to them and I hope Chile and the mining industry reap the benefits.

cherokee
14-Oct-10, 18:15
Just heard on the radio:-

"Manuel Rodrigeuz " (sp?) is the absolute hero of the whole rescue.....

He was the "first" man to go down in the "test capsule" to try it out.... knowing that it may never have worked.... so he basically took his own life in his hands to help the miners !

Once the whole rescue scenario was proving positive, he stayed with the trapped miners until the very last man surfaced...so he, himself, was the last man to surface....

If that's not an heroic act, then I don't know what is !!

cherokee
14-Oct-10, 18:24
Sorry, just have to tell a more light-hearted story, which I also heard on the radio.....

Wee 6 Y.O. Girl : Mum, mum, I've just heard that the last miner is now free and that he's going to the circus !!

Mum : No, sweetheart, it actually says that that the last man was finally taken to the "surface"........ not the "circus" !!

Wee Girl : No Mum, he's going to the circus as a treat for being the last man taken up from the mine !!!

Ain't the innocence of the wee ones just sweet.....;)

Kevin Milkins
14-Oct-10, 20:08
Sorry, just have to tell a more light-hearted story, which I also heard on the radio.....

Wee 6 Y.O. Girl : Mum, mum, I've just heard that the last miner is now free and that he's going to the circus !!

Mum : No, sweetheart, it actually says that that the last man was finally taken to the "surface"........ not the "circus" !!

Wee Girl : No Mum, he's going to the circus as a treat for being the last man taken up from the mine !!!

Ain't the innocence of the wee ones just sweet.....;)

I heard that on the radio as well.:lol:

What a fantastic outcome to what could have been another tragic mining accident.

At least this one will go down in history for happy reasons.

welsh-witch
14-Oct-10, 20:14
nice to have a happy ending to this story:Razz:Razz:Razz

Kodiak
14-Oct-10, 21:26
I only hope that now that the Miners are safe that they can put up with all the World Wide Media Pressure that they will all be under. Someone said that the 33 Miners could get an estimated £100Million for alll the Articles, Books, Films etc etc. Even if they do make a lot a money will they be able to withstand all the pressure. I really wonder. :confused

ducati
14-Oct-10, 21:40
I only hope that now that the Miners are safe that they can put up with all the World Wide Media Pressure that they will all be under. Someone said that the 33 Miners could get an estimated £100Million for alll the Articles, Books, Films etc etc. Even if they do make a lot a money will they be able to withstand all the pressure. I really wonder. :confused

For a 33rd of 100million I'd be prepared to put up with a lot of stress :eek:

scorrie
14-Oct-10, 22:46
they could have all painted numbers on their hard hats between 1 and 48.

I am only waiting on one ball for the triple roll-over jackpot:-

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/lotto49.jpg

Damn you Northener!!

northener
15-Oct-10, 07:46
I am only waiting on one ball for the triple roll-over jackpot:-

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/lotto49.jpg

Damn you Northener!!

I also thought for a laugh, the rescuers could have raised the miners high enough out of the shaft so that they could see their families and well-wishers...

...and then slowly lowered them back down about 50m to shouts of "Caramba! Ze weench, eeet eees failing!"*

Oh, I bet they'd cry with laughter (the rescuers, that is).

*Bad Chilean accent crudely based upon Speedy Gonzalez.

Kevin Milkins
16-Oct-10, 13:40
Has anyone seen the coverage this week of those people getting rescued from there ordeal. it was heartwarming to see there grubby scabby little faces with big smiles with the faint glimmer of hope that there poor sad pathetic lives will be better now the worst is over.. mind you I still hope that Everton beat them in the derby on Sunday!!!:lol:[lol]

Stands back and waits for bullets.:lol: