PDA

View Full Version : dog probs

Thorfin
10-Oct-10, 09:01
is there anything I can do or give to an old dog who is getting old and loosing control of her toilet actions not all the time but sometimes. think she is getting forgetful and dottled :~(

dragonfly
10-Oct-10, 09:20
take her to the vet Thorfin. our old arthritic lab was the same, every time he tried to stand up he had a little poo drop out and his basket was wet most mornings (he was 13).

Took him to the vet and they checked his sphincter (sp?) and that was working ok, but he deteriorated really struggling to get up and as he was not happy about doing a plop (and would visibly shake when we saw it) we decided the best thing for him was to PTS

Just give her lots of love and don't scold her for doing it, she can't help it. hope you have many more happy times with her

teenybash
10-Oct-10, 11:02
My old darling, who passed away only 10 days ago had began losing bladder control and sometimes was weeing her bed. I bought incontinence sheets used for leaky humans to put on chairs, beds etc. I put two on her bed and if she did have an accident it was all soaked up.
Check that you doggy doesn't have a urine infection
I got the sheets from Ebay and if you simply search incontinence sheets, you can take a look. Hope all is well.

Liz
10-Oct-10, 13:13
Aw so sorry.:(

You would really need to take her to the Vet to find out the cause. Is it both no 1's and 2's?

This might help.
http://www.arthritis-help-for-pets.com/Senility_in_Dogs_s/14.htm

Really hope it is something that can be sorted.

Thorfin
10-Oct-10, 20:41
thanks for the comments and yes it seems to be over this last week no 2 on Wed on the couch and a No 1 on the floor on Fri
then again today a No 1 on the couch. I have a newspaper on the cushions and a small rug so if anything is done it can be washed easily. She has arthritis and old but has good days and bad I cant follow a pattern. :confused

Liz
10-Oct-10, 22:38
Could be that her arthritis is giving her gyp so she's not able to get up quick enough to make it to the toilet?

If this is the case I can highly recommend the Mobilise which you'll find in the link I posted. Also a copper collar can work wonders. I can't remember the email address but you can get one from Forbes Copper.
Benjy is wearing one and it has really helped.
I recommend the copper collar to someone else for their dog and it has made a real difference.

It is really awful when our pets are ill and/or in pain so I hope your lovely lady gets well and you can have many more years with her.