PDA

View Full Version : Message from landmarker

DrSzin
27-Jul-06, 19:30
Landmarker has asked me to post a final farewell to those with whom he has been crossing swords or agreeing with on the Org - he has enjoyed the banter with us.

(PM or email me via the Org if you want to get in touch with him and I'll pass on your message.)

DW
27-Jul-06, 19:42
Landmarker has asked me to post a final farewell to those with whom he has been crossing swords or agreeing with on the Org - he has enjoyed the banter with us.

Clearly a man of taste who enjoys the cut and thrust of debate rather than the mind-numbing boredom of the electronic equivilant of chain letters. :mad:

Please pass on my best wishes for the restoration of his sanity which his self-imposed exile will undoubtedly bring. [lol]

gleeber
27-Jul-06, 21:07

(PM or email me via the Org if you want to get in touch with him and I'll pass on your message.)

Have I missed something? Did he take the hump? This is one of the weakest swan songs ive heard on the org in over 5 years and there's been a few. Why on earth cant the man himself come onto a forum he enchanted with his very own brand of eloquence and bigotry, and say goodbye himself? Why does he need an intermediary to pass on any message? Has he been banned?

Ricco
27-Jul-06, 21:36
Landmarker - sorely missed and leaving many questions... mostly beginning with 'why?'

During my 'lurker' days Landmarker was one of those I admired and studied. I feel that he, amongst others, prepared me for my eventual foray onto the org. I would like to extend my thanks and express my best wishes. Don't go completely - hang around in the glimmerland and link back occasionally.

connieb19
27-Jul-06, 21:38
If you have a look at Landmarkers profile, you will notice that he is suspended, so no point in expecting him to reply..:(

Ricco
27-Jul-06, 21:44
I know - I was just posting an epitaph. :(

Yvonne
27-Jul-06, 23:09

:confused Why is Landmarker quitting the Org???? Nobody has said what's happened to him or why he's leaving!

gleeber
28-Jul-06, 06:55
There was something about landmarker that touched most people he tangled with. His very first post on Caithness.org concerned his need to know whether the folk of Caithness welcomed incomers with anything more than a grudgingly and monertary nod. Although he found out the hard way that his brand of discrimination was never welcomed here, what surprised me most was the amount of support he had when he posted, whether openly or through the reputation option. Although his supporters exist out there, unlike Landmarker, I can only guess who they are.
Landmarker brought an honesty to the forums. He challenged the nonsense inherant in political correctness, but he also stirred the prejudice within myself that I would rather not acknowledge. His style and prose wil be sadly missed on Caithness.org by me.

JAWS
28-Jul-06, 08:02
Please pass my regards on to Landmarker. I might no have always agreed with some of his ideas but, at least he was willing to express them.
Political Correctness, and I consider that as a completely different concept to trying to end racism, does far more damage than people have previously realised.

When certain Labour MPs, who's track record against racism is absolutely impeccable, pointed out just prior to the Local Elections in England that in certain areas the BNP were going to have great success, many people were stunned. The warnings proved to be absolutely correct.

Their explanation that the Main Political Parties were so busy proving their Political Correctness by refusing to discuss certain things such as Immigration and other similar matters by dismissing as “Racist”.. The effect of the main Parties doing that meant that the only Party which appeared to show interest in people’s concerns were the BNP and any other extreme group which had the same attitude.

The success of the BNP in the areas mentioned bore out the warnings which had been given.

Landmarker was willing to raise such subjects and on several occasions some would scream Racism to try to put an end to the discussion. All that does is reinforce the impression that nobody is interested in such concerns which in effect strengthens their fears.

Landmarker was at least willing to bring such things out into the open and made people think about them. By doing so he at least gave others the opportunity to explain why such fears were unfounded. Unfortunately several posters, instead of taking the advantage to allay fears about such matters simple decided that they should be swept under the carpet and hidden from view.

I too miss Landmarker. Love his ideas or loath them he made most people think about matters they would rather ignore.

I occasionally gave him some support for that very reason, even though I might not have wholeheartedly agreed with his point of view. It gave those who were willing to discuss such matters in a calm manner the opportunity to allay the fears and misconceptions of those who were perhaps getting things out of perspective.

golach
28-Jul-06, 09:37
Landmarker brought an honesty to the forums. He challenged the nonsense inherant in political correctness, but he also stirred the prejudice within myself that I would rather not acknowledge. His style and prose wil be sadly missed on Caithness.org by me.
Gleeber, I have come out of exile to post this becuse this time I am in full agreement with you on this issue, if there were more honest posters in these forums like Landmarker I would be back in a flash.

Niall Fernie
28-Jul-06, 10:47
Landmarker did not leave, he was banned for life.

I find it remarkabale that so many support him and his amazing ability to lever in a racist comment into almost every topic. He was sent on his way with a paraphrase from his own website(?) "inherently, you are a racist". (originally it read "inherently, I am a racist")

Never before has one user generated so many complaints. He even topped DW :roll:

DW
28-Jul-06, 11:03
Landmarker did not leave, he was banned for life.

SNIP

Never before has one user generated so many complaints. He even topped DW

Why, thank you kind sir. :D I would like to point out that while I may have been catist I certainly am not racist.

I hope my new personna meets with everyone's approval :D

Naefearjustbeer
28-Jul-06, 11:44
Just goes to show how ridiculous all this PC nonsense is. I enjoyed a lot of his posts. Once again I may not of agreed with them all, but I did enjoy the read and the thoughts I had. So much for freedom of speech. It is only words after all.

carson
28-Jul-06, 12:46
Just goes to show how ridiculous all this PC nonsense is. I enjoyed a lot of his posts. Once again I may not of agreed with them all, but I did enjoy the read and the thoughts I had. So much for freedom of speech. It is only words after all.

:confused Hmmm... you must have buried this belief when you criticised my post on MacDonalds pies...some inconsistencies there me thinks!!

Naefearjustbeer
28-Jul-06, 14:37
:confused Hmmm... you must have buried this belief when you criticised my post on MacDonalds pies...some inconsistencies there me thinks!!

Yes double standards I know Guilty as charged, but better than sitting saying nothing in my opinion. And I think we should all be allowed to say our peice even if it does get us shot down in flames by the other forum members.:D

DW
28-Jul-06, 14:42
Yes double standards I know Guilty as charged, but better than sitting saying nothing in my opinion. And I think we should all be allowed to say our peice even if it does get us shot down in flames by the other forum members.:D

Why, that's awfully nice of you to put your hand up my man. That's the kind of nice standup thing we like around here; let's start a chain, here's a nice thing starting with A

Armpit ( shaved and powdered, of course)

I'm joking, having a laugh, bit of light relief, not at all serious, not trying to make people angry, just a jest. [lol]

Ricco
28-Jul-06, 16:24

Hmmm - but we do need to be sure of just how much of our piece we actually say. Otherwise there would just be anarchy, a lot of upset people and, very quickly, no org. I personally think Niall does a fairly good job whilst giving everyone a reasonably free hand/mouth. But, there does need to be some policing for the aforesaid reasons.

I enjoy the org and most of what goes on. There are one or two occasions when I think someone has said things that would have been better left unsaid, and some individuals can be downright sharp and spiteful in what they say. We have already lost some good people through some of the things said to them - I think that is our loss. :confused

scorrie
28-Jul-06, 17:19
Landmarker clearly had his followers as well as his critics. Whether that is because he was admired simply for daring to state his feelings, or whether it is because he was making comments others agreed with regarding racism and lacked the bottle to state publicly themselves, is something only known by his supporters.

I can remember a couple of Landmarker yarns that started off on seemingly "safe" subject matter and then wandered into racial territory. It was hard to accept that this was anything other than deliberate. "Freedom of speech" goes up the cry but there is usually a suitable time and place to air your opinions, particularly when you know they are going to be controversial. What you might say in the Camps on a Saturday night will have a different level of suitability in Wetherspoons on a Monday lunchtime with kids present.

This is a Community website and if you cannot tailor your input to that which is acceptable then you must realise that moderators will step in at some stage. I can cite the BBC racing website as evidence of where softly, softly moderation has led to a website that is a disgrace to the BBC. Use of the F word, the C word is rife and the few posters trying to make sensible comment are subjected to vile comments concerning their early death!! Coloured Jockeys are referred to as "Oil Riggers" and "Jam Spoons" and because it is hidden behind "Cockney Rhyming slang" it is allowed to be posted. I don't bother at all with the site now and can only offer my opinion that our own org would be a poorer place without a proper level of moderation. Of course they can never please everyone but I think if someone uses their wit and considers how they say what they say, they get a pretty fair chance to put their point across from the mods here.

Landmarker had his warning and knew full well the areas where he was pushing his luck. I enjoyed some of his posts and had no time for others but would rather he had stayed and moderated himself a little. He certainly had more going for him than another moaner who constantly complains about the over-moderation and mundanity on the board. Makes you wonder why they waste their giant intellect on such mentally undernourished souls.

DW
28-Jul-06, 17:24
Landmarker
SNIP

This is a Community website and if you cannot tailor your input to that which is acceptable then you must realise that moderators will step in at some stage.

Let's say NO to racism.

Gleber2
28-Jul-06, 17:32
I'm joking, having a laugh, bit of light relief, not at all serious, not trying to make people angry, just a jest. [lol]

You're getting paranoid!!!!!!

canuck
28-Jul-06, 17:57
Like many I am in that "caught between a rock and a hard place", wanting to support the orgministration and still respecting a writer who challenged us in some of our own complacencies. On another side, Landmarker's story telling was absolutely the best. I shall miss that aspect of his presence on the org.

DW
28-Jul-06, 19:22
You're getting paranoid!!!!!!

Hey, when you have as many complaints against you as I have, (slightly less than the 'late' departed banished Landmarker), you get to be paranoid!!:D

DW
28-Jul-06, 19:34
He certainly had more going for him than another moaner who constantly complains about the over-moderation and mundanity on the board. Makes you wonder why they waste their giant intellect on such mentally undernourished souls.

Go-on now you vituperative wee birdy; pray do tell, who on earth can you be talking about.

You really should endeavour to remove that large tattie from yer shooder [lol]

badger
28-Jul-06, 19:46
I PMd a message to DrSzin but since everyone is expressing their views on Landmarker publicly - yes, I'll miss him. I hated his racism (and being English I knew what it was like to be on the receiving end from others during all that stupid football nonsense) but agreed on other things and he was always an interesting and thought-provoking read. Takes all sorts and I'm sorry he's gone but maybe he went too far and that's a pity.

scorrie
28-Jul-06, 19:46
Let's say NO to racism.

Let's say NO to glibly pulling the piss.

You constantly moan about the mundanity on this website but offer nothing original or of any depth yourself. Your contribution to this board consists of either ripping the piss or constantly peddling the same anti-cat nonsense.

Let's have a decent post from you with a bit of the wit and originality befitting a man of your mature years and lofty standing within the educational establishment. How about a refreshing Pilsner to whet the palate of the hungry readers, instead of those old, stale beverages that cause mental indigestion.

I'm off for a Whisky now, I like any brand other than Teachers, it's a bit immature and leaves a bad taste ;o) Cheers!!

DW
28-Jul-06, 19:56
Let's say NO to glibly pulling the piss.

You constantly moan about the mundanity on this website but offer nothing original or of any depth yourself. Your contribution to this board consists of either ripping the piss or constantly peddling the same anti-cat nonsense.

Let's have a decent post from you with a bit of the wit and originality befitting a man of your mature years and lofty standing .

My goodness, some one got out of bed on the wrong side today.

Pulling the whatsit, ripping the whatsit, such a waste of energy, and as for cats, well it takes one to know one and I haven't mentioned them for week except to accept a slight charge of catism.

It was cruel of me to present your mundanity to you so clearly, and for that I humbly apologise. I realise that these things must bring you great pleasure, nay succour, during your waking hour.

Lofty standing? Sound like a character from Eastenders or was that Scoronation street.

Now, I know that Dr Szin will be concerned about your BP as I predicted to him that you may well have a rush of blood to parts that blood often doesn't reach.
Consult him for a cold compress; you know it makes sense.

And so personal............ oh you poor bitter twisted soul. :roll:

DrSzin
28-Jul-06, 20:11
I'm off for a Whisky now, I like any brand other than Teachers, it's a bit immature and leaves a bad taste ;o) Cheers!!Aye, there's nothing like a good grouse in public on a Friday night...

Rheghead
29-Jul-06, 00:38
Some orgers are akin to a lettuce sarnie or a boring old quiche and some are a good snack to read, healthy and wholesome but some are probably not too good for the old health. I would put landmarker as a peperami or a doner kebab...[para] :D

All foods have their place in a balanced diet...

scorrie
29-Jul-06, 12:03
My goodness, some one got out of bed on the wrong side today.

Pulling the whatsit, ripping the whatsit, such a waste of energy, and as for cats, well it takes one to know one and I haven't mentioned them for week except to accept a slight charge of catism.

It was cruel of me to present your mundanity to you so clearly, and for that I humbly apologise. I realise that these things must bring you great pleasure, nay succour, during your waking hour.

Lofty standing? Sound like a character from Eastenders or was that Scoronation street.

Now, I know that Dr Szin will be concerned about your BP as I predicted to him that you may well have a rush of blood to parts that blood often doesn't reach.
Consult him for a cold compress; you know it makes sense.

And so personal............ oh you poor bitter twisted soul. :roll:

I was responding to your post and referring to you in particular. How could that be anything other than personal?

As usual you avoid the main point, which is your citation of mundanity in others whilst your own input is the most repetitive and tedious on the board.

I have quite a high position on the reputation ladder, which means little in reality but considering that I often go against the flow it does indicate that what I write is respected to some degree by other readers. It seems to me that your input does not meet with such respect, in fact it is fairly clear that you are regarded as pretty juvenile by some people whose opinions I would place faith in.

If you analyse your post you will see it is nothing more than a hotch-potch of nonsense. No factual content at all, merely your usual inane attempts at humour. You are not a witty guy, simply an attention seeker using the age-old tactic of annoyance to replace the talent that is lacking.

Lofty Standing, no, it was Lofty Watts. You may aspire to be Lofty Watts but I feel your own Lightbulb is only about 15W and covered in dust and nicotine, not giving off enough brightness to see your way to creating a post with any originality or maturity.

So long Succour!!

DW
29-Jul-06, 17:54
As usual you avoid the main point, which is your citation of mundanity in others whilst your own input is the most repetitive and tedious on the board.

I have quite a high position on the reputation ladder, which means little in reality but considering that I often go against the flow it does indicate that what I write is respected to some degree by other readers. It seems to me that your input does not meet with such respect, in fact it is fairly clear that you are regarded as pretty juvenile by some people whose opinions I would place faith in.

You really need to get rid of the chip, nay sack of chips on your shoulder. It strikes me (and others I may add), that you go out of your way to comment on my posts and to bait me into answering. So far you have been successful. Maybe I have done something to annoy you beyond this forum, if that is the case - tough - get over it, as many others have done.

So far, I am able to express my opinion and pass comment to the same degree as others. If I feel things are mundane, I seem to have the same right to express my opinion.

You rather let the cat out of the bag by commenting on your height on the reputation ladder, I am delighted you are so pleased with your reputation status; I hope it brings you much pleasure and comfort. Personally I couldn't give a stuff about it.

However, I feel that our little chat has become boring, as have you. Feel free to continue this by PM but I am certainly not going waste anymore time one you. You have been removed from my christmas card list and like the scavenging, rubbish eating bird whose name you have chosen, you have become a pest.

Conversation over...