PDA

View Full Version : Tesco Development

Pepsi
27-Jul-06, 13:16
Know the jungle drums will be beating regarding the new Tesco development.

Work has stopped, the Co-op are taking the Highland Council to a judicial review arguing that the council should not have allowed planning mainly due to the Retail Impact Assesment submitted by Tesco and not taking into consideration the Co-ops objections fully.

It is to go to a judicial review in October. I understand that until this has been determined Tescos feel they cannot continue. :~(

Obviously the co-op does not believe in 'open market'.

dragonfly
27-Jul-06, 13:21
In that case think Tesco supporters should boycott the Co-Op asap - might make them change their minds and withdraw their objection!

mccaugm
27-Jul-06, 14:06
Um why didn't the COOP not make a noise when the development was in the planning stages....this is a ridiculous state of affairs. Will they start mithering when ASDA gets the go ahead - if things go according to plan...

Caithness needs decent sized shops with keen prices....the better the quality of living - the more people move here - the more shoppers there will be.

Grrrr[evil]

Niall Fernie
27-Jul-06, 14:53
I've just phoned Tesco head office and am awaiting contact from the site manager to find out what we can do to support Tesco in this unbelievable twist.

If the Co-op believe I'll remain a loyal customer, they can think again. The first thing I think we can all do is show the Co-op, with the weight of our wallets/purses, what we think of their "judicial review".

saxovtr
27-Jul-06, 15:04
thats shocking

Niall Fernie
27-Jul-06, 15:13
UPDATE!!!

Just had a call from Tesco to give a bit more information.

Basically, Tesco are going to carry on with the building work as they feel there are no real grounds for the review.

dragonfly
27-Jul-06, 15:27
Brilliant :Razz fingers crossed they'll still be open in time for xmas!!! but I'll not be going in the co-op anymore[evil] !

sapphire
27-Jul-06, 15:29
UPDATE!!!

Just had a call from Tesco to give a bit more information.

Basically, Tesco are going to carry on with the building work as they feel there are no real grounds for the review.

Wow!!! Thank goodness for that!I find it hard to believe that the Co-op would wait until work started on the site to start objecting.....unless they really believed that the disruption they hoped to cause would make Tescos think again.
I'm pretty sure that Tescos are used to situations like this ,from competitors who just can't stand the heat.
I shop most days in the Co-op in Wick ...perhaps I will have to review my choice of shop a bit earlier than expected! :(

gleeber
27-Jul-06, 17:10
My initial reaction would be to boycott the Co-op, but they still employ local people whose livelyhoods would be at risk if the boycott caught on. There's probably some smart whizz kid deep in the bowels of Co-opdom, hoping to make a name for himself/herself by creating a diversion in a town they probably wouldnt be able to pinpoint on the map.
I'm sure Tescos management wouldnt be slow to create diversions were their interests put to the sword. The truth is they are all a bunch of papparazzi grocers, whose only real interest is themselves and the shareholders.
They couldnt give a hoot about Joe Caithness.

badger
27-Jul-06, 19:49
I don't think a boycott would hurt employees as hopefully their head office would get the message pretty quickly and back down. I've been amazed that the prospect of some serious competition seems to have had no effect on either Somerfield or the Co-op - they could both do with bucking up their ideas. If the Co-op are so worried they should take a long hard look at themselves and pull out all the stops to keep their customers loyal instead of alienating them. They are the other side of the town and should have no trouble keeping busy if they can be bothered. Somerfield are in far more danger.

Kaishowing
27-Jul-06, 20:26
With Lidl not too long ago opened up, I'm sure the local Co-op weren't looking forward to another cut in their profits....but like mccaugm said above, it's basic economics and in the long run they'll probably feel the benefit.
The main attraction of Tesco is the fuel prices though. I'm not sure if they'll be selling at the national rate, or if they'll hike it slightly...But if they try charging the same as the other local garages, then there'll be a hellova angry letter heading to their head office from this household!

Thanks to Niall for keeping us informed!:D

girnigoe
27-Jul-06, 22:36
OMG!!!! How dare they!!!

They are shaking in their shoes because they know they are going to be the first to fold when Tescos opens.

Lets start with the outside of the Co-op. The sign for one is a complete eyesore - all broken and faded - and they dont even open as late as stated on there. I have been there numerous occassions on a Thursday night and they are closed even though according to the sign it should be open.

When you get inside its not much better and where would you like me to start on the staff!!! (Its been discussed on this board before so I wont start listing their faults) I can easily count on one hand the exceptions to this.

I very rarely shop there anyway because the selection is very poor but im afraid I will be one of the first people to boycott them [mad]

celtic 302
27-Jul-06, 23:15
by launching there review thing co-op are making themselves more unpopular. But i think, tesco should stop building, because thats wat there lawyers are probably pushing them to do, and co-op must have a chance of succsess, otherwise they wouldnt do this, and tesco could lose alot of money

2little2late
27-Jul-06, 23:24
by launching there review thing co-op are making themselves more unpopular. But i think, tesco should stop building, because thats wat there lawyers are probably pushing them to do, and co-op must have a chance of succsess, otherwise they wouldnt do this, and tesco could lose alot of money

Don't think this will bother Tesco one iota. Tesco are the largest supermarket chain in the U.K. and have made so many £billion profit (is it for the third year running? I could be wrong). The co-op are running scared and this is why they are wanting a judicial review. If the co-op did win do you honestly think Tesco would just give in and say "Ah well never mind"? They are too big an establishment for the co-op to compete with. Tesco will probably have the best lawyers in the land anyway.

The co-op only have themselves to blame. They should have taken their chance and they could have had a really good store in Wick. At the moment it is really going downhill.

sapphire
27-Jul-06, 23:32
OMG!!!! How dare they!!!

When you get inside its not much better
I very rarely shop there anyway because the selection is very poor but im afraid I will be one of the first people to boycott them [mad]

One of my problems with the co-op is the pricing...especially on the freezer section.Many times I've walked away because the prices are so poorly displayed, that's if you can find the one which goes with the product you want.Even their 'specials' lack appropriate signs so you don't know if you are getting it cheap, buying 2 for £2, or buy 1 get 1 free...or is it just me?

luskentyre
28-Jul-06, 00:21
One of my problems with the co-op is the pricing...especially on the freezer section.Many times I've walked away because the prices are so poorly displayed, that's if you can find the one which goes with the product you want.Even their 'specials' lack appropriate signs so you don't know if you are getting it cheap, buying 2 for £2, or buy 1 get 1 free...or is it just me?

Nope - it's not just you!

Kaishowing
28-Jul-06, 02:26
How about this then....................We were walking round the Co-op and saw some chicken pieces that were being sold at half price as the 'sell-by-date' ran out that day, BUT.....on the packet it said 'Buy One Get One FREE'.
So, seeing another packet of chicken we picked that up thinking it would be free, or at the very least if the offer wasn't valid anymore, we'd still get a 'Two For The Price Of One' deal as they both were being sold at half price!(due to the 'sell-by-date')
When we got to the check-out, they were rung up on the till, and then we were told that we owed them nothing!!
Apparently with all the offers, and the reduction thrown in, it cancelled out the price!
How's THAT for confusing!!
(We went back for more! LOL)
(Not that we're complaining mind :lol: )

jaykay
28-Jul-06, 12:15
Boycott the Coop in Wick and Thurso now!!

rangers1873
28-Jul-06, 12:49
im all for boycotting the co-op.all those people that go on about the local people employed there and how it will affect them dont know what they are on about.it would not surprize me if most of the co-op staff have already applied for jobs in the new tesco.if not im sure there will be jobs waiting fdor them

mr do dar
29-Jul-06, 10:39
The problem with the coop is there worried about the compotition that tesco will bring with it . its the best thing the council planning department have let through . the coop is so exspensive and tesco offer good quality and cheapness all year round . [lol] [smirk]

bagpuss
29-Jul-06, 23:19
How many people on this site have dividend cards, and how many ticked the box to become a Co-operative member? Technically, that makes you the owners/shareholders. if the co-op isn't giving good service you should make a noise to them.

Prior to Tesco's arrival in Inverness the Co-op beside Raigmore pretty much had the cheapest petrol in the Highlands. What happened to that store? Maybe that is why they've suddenly decided to stage a protest.

I was in Tesco in Inverness twice over this past month, and purchases included fresh fish of the sort you cannot get in Caithness, nice cooked chicken, jewellery and two pairs of trousers. I shall be expecting the same variety and service when the new store opens.