PDA

View Full Version : Defrosting the Fridge

Ricco
27-Jul-06, 11:26
Today (another hot one!) I've got a chore that's a pleasure - defrosting the fridges. I have also found a great use for all that ice that comes out - I stick it down.. (no, don't go there - voice of Gleeber2) 'why not?' (you'll end up in org jail, that's why - voice of RockChick). 'I was only going to say - stick it down the pet drink bottles and out in the bird baths. lol :lol:

brokencross
27-Jul-06, 11:28
I have just defrosted my dear old Mam and Dad's fridge.............i think it should have been done a month ago..there was enough ice to sink the Titanic.

tisme
27-Jul-06, 12:59
Away to do mine on Friday night, coz I know there will be rivers to clean up on Saturday!! Wish I'd bought a self defrosting one, £100 seemed an extravagance when pricing them, but would gladly pay it out now I have to defrost the monster............................

Billy Boy
27-Jul-06, 15:04
http://www.laughparty.com/items/616.gif

have fun lol,i just got a frost free:Razz

canuck
27-Jul-06, 15:22
Towels, lots and lots of towels. You can never have too many towels for this job. No matter how careful you are to catch the water in the drip pan, some always escapes. Stuff them into the bottom and around the door.
Good luck.

Ricco
27-Jul-06, 16:11
Just 2 towels, and several successive pans of hot water in the freezer bit. Lots of ice for the rabbit water and bird baths. Poured the water from the pans, the wrung out towels and the remaining ice into the water butt. Ain't I a good boy! :Razz

obiron
27-Jul-06, 17:50
the last time i defrosted the fridge i used a steamer took 10-15 mins now that we've got a new fridge its apparently frost free but we'll see.

Tristan
27-Jul-06, 20:17
Perhaps I am being a bit pedantic but is it not a freezer not a fridge that needs defrosting?

Billy Boy
27-Jul-06, 20:24
Perhaps I am being a bit pedantic but is it not a freezer not a fridge that needs defrosting?

http://www.boostcruising.com/database/readersphotos/files/65ENS20030819223044funnyfile1.jpg

mccaugm
27-Jul-06, 22:34
Years ago when sharing a flat, I decided to defrost the freezer. It took 4 hours, untold amounts of towels and bowls of boiled water. It turns out she (my flatmate) had never defrosted her freezer. She was also puzzled why she could barely squeeze a packet of fish fingers in the gap between the ice shelves.

Big G
28-Jul-06, 01:39
i was planning doing my fridge this weekend too - i cant even get the little freezer bit open there is so much ice and last time i broke the little freezer door off there was so much! haha

I will leave my freezer for another day - too much work!

canuck
28-Jul-06, 01:54
Just 2 towels, and several successive pans of hot water in the freezer bit. Lots of ice for the rabbit water and bird baths. Poured the water from the pans, the wrung out towels and the remaining ice into the water butt. Ain't I a good boy! :Razz

Tomorrow you can volunteer to do the neighbour's frig/freezer. Dip the towels in the cold water, wring a bit and then wrap them round your head, neck. Ah, almost as good as air conditioning!

Ricco
28-Jul-06, 13:47
Fridge done. Looks and runs much better. Today has been the turn of painting the gate and fencing. Tomorrow I think I'll do the big fridge/freezer. Call this a holiday? :~(